PDA

View Full Version : Forget Dorsey as a DT Option in the draft

LifetimeBillsFan
01-15-2007, 03:46 AM
Much to my dismay, Glenn Dorsey decided to stay in school and not to enter this year's NFL draft. Dorsey cited injuries that may have hindered him in the draft and a desire to have a chance to win the SEC and a national championship as his reasons for staying at LSU.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2731368

I thought that he would be a terrific pick for the Bills at # 12, but I can't argue with his decision to return to school. I don't know how much this changes things for the Bills, if it does at all. But, if they do decide to go with a DT in the first round, it appears now that it would almost certainly have to be Okoye, especially with Branch likely to go before the 12th pick.

don137
01-15-2007, 05:26 AM
I agreee one both aacounts. He would look good in a Bills uniform but who have to commend the man for staying in school.

YardRat
01-15-2007, 06:14 AM
I think DraftBoy may be on to something, and DT won't be the direction we go especially in the first round.

Sportsuser101
01-15-2007, 08:04 AM
I like Okoye and Branch better anyway.

patmoran2006
01-15-2007, 08:33 AM
Though very talented, Branch doesnt fit this defense as he's the same kind of DT as Tripplett and McCargo.

ParanoidAndroid
01-15-2007, 08:42 AM
Branch is a monster nose tackle type more in the mold of Sam Adams. At 6'6" and 330 lbs, I don't think it's a stretch to say he's a bit different than Triplett and McCargo.
I think Justin Harrell is going to be a very good DT in the NFL. If he is there in the second, I say grab him.
Our most pressing need, unfortunately, is going to be CB.

PECKERWOOD
01-15-2007, 11:29 AM
Though very talented, Branch doesnt fit this defense as he's the same kind of DT as Tripplett and McCargo.

Branch has the speed and power to play either 1 technique or 3 technique. If Branch made himself available to us, there is no question that we are taking him. McCargo and Williams would make a fine rotation.

mysticsoto
01-15-2007, 11:49 AM
Branch has the speed and power to play either 1 technique or 3 technique. If Branch made himself available to us, there is no question that we are taking him. McCargo and Williams would make a fine rotation.

I'll have to keep my eye on Branch at the combine to see if he really indeed does have that speed. At 330 lbs, that seems incredible.

But regardless, Washington is likely to take Branch so I don't think the choice will ever be there anyway...

BILLSROCK1212
01-15-2007, 12:26 PM
i liked the DTs like this

1. Branch
2. Dorsey
3. Okoye
4. Pitcock

DraftBoy
01-15-2007, 12:50 PM
I think DraftBoy may be on to something, and DT won't be the direction we go especially in the first round.

For those that may not venture into the scouting zone this is what YR is referring to...

I find it interesting that you went against conventional wisdom (at least as far as these boards are concerned) and stayed away from the DT position. Was that intentional?

Very much so, we spent big money on Tripplett last year and I thought he played rather well, while some may disagree. We also spent a 3rd and 1st last year on McCargo who was mostly hurt and I dont see us using two 1sts on DT's. Kyle Williams was a beast for us last year and Hargrove can move inside if need be. We may pickup an extra one but I was pretty happy with our DT's. I was one who didnt think the middle was the problem of our Run D, I thought it was our ends.

this is from my 2007 Offseason thread in the Scouting Zone....
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=117960

I dont think DT is a big need for us this offseason, imo.

BILLSROCK1212
01-15-2007, 12:57 PM
For those that may not venture into the scouting zone this is what YR is referring to...

this is from my 2007 Offseason thread in the Scouting Zone....
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=117960

I dont think DT is a big need for us this offseason, imo.
i agree with you on DT but we need a run stuffer and it doesnt seem like we really have one, maybe a big MLB will help

DraftBoy
01-15-2007, 12:58 PM
i agree with you on DT but we need a run stuffer and it doesnt seem like we really have one, maybe a big MLB will help

What do you know in that same thread I have us taking MLB Brandon Siler in the 2nd round. He'd be the perfect fit for us, imo.

BILLSROCK1212
01-15-2007, 01:12 PM
What do you know in that same thread I have us taking MLB Brandon Siler in the 2nd round. He'd be the perfect fit for us, imo.not only is he a greta player but he probably has the best leadership skills out of all the players in the draft this year....he is definetly someone who if available in the 2nd round Marv would take 2 seconds to pick

Bmax
01-15-2007, 06:23 PM
What do you know in that same thread I have us taking MLB Brandon Siler in the 2nd round. He'd be the perfect fit for us, imo.

I agree i have been Singing praises about Siler for a couple of weeks....Rd 2 looks good .... I Still want a DT day one .. I was not that impressed with Ian Scott this weekend.. Hollis Thomas is a tough Run Stuffer.. He is a FA,,,But he comes with baggage and is 32....He would be good for one to two seasons....While Mcccargo developes and eventually moves to the other DT position.. The bills could also draft a guy day two who may just surprise......

Does anybody have any info on Keith Jackson from Arkansas he looked good when i saw him play this year.. Might be worth a late rd pick...

Bmax

BILLSROCK1212
01-15-2007, 06:28 PM
I agree i have been Singing praises about Siler for a couple of weeks....Rd 2 looks good .... I Still want a DT day one .. I was not that impressed with Ian Scott this weekend.. Hollis Thomas is a tough Run Stuffer.. He is a FA,,,But he comes with baggage and is 32....He would be good for one to two seasons....While Mcccargo developes and eventually moves to the other DT position.. The bills could also draft a guy day two who may just surprise......

Does anybody have any info on Keith Jackson from Arkansas he looked good when i saw him play this year.. Might be worth a late rd pick...

Bmaxwell for all its worth nfldraftcountdown has him ranked 18th among all DTs in this years draft and in the last 3 years has a combine 7 sacks 2.5 each of the last 2 years and 2 sacks in his sophmore year....he has 18.5 TFLs in the last 3 years and overall has 191 tackles in 41 games played he is 6-0 296 and runs a 5.1...seems average to me i havent seen much of him, you'd be better off finding out from draftboy

a nice sleeper at DT is Justin Harrell from Tennessee who missed all but three games with a ruptured biceps tendon, with all the good D-line prospects coming out of Tennessee this guy could end up doing well in the pros and just a warning Ryan McBean from Oklahoma St. could end up climbing most draft boards because he does his best in workouts but doesnt play up to his potential and is more of a boom or bust prospect

edit: actually i take back what i said on Justin Harrell he isnt that big of a sleeper but Kareem Brown from Miami is who had a great senior campaign.............the more that i look at the prospects at DT the more potential i see out of this class but the key word here is potential

X-Era
01-15-2007, 06:42 PM
Much to my dismay, Glenn Dorsey decided to stay in school and not to enter this year's NFL draft. Dorsey cited injuries that may have hindered him in the draft and a desire to have a chance to win the SEC and a national championship as his reasons for staying at LSU.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2731368

I thought that he would be a terrific pick for the Bills at # 12, but I can't argue with his decision to return to school. I don't know how much this changes things for the Bills, if it does at all. But, if they do decide to go with a DT in the first round, it appears now that it would almost certainly have to be Okoye, especially with Branch likely to go before the 12th pick.

To be honest, I only feel Branch is worthy of the 12 pick at this point. Okoye has potential but is so raw he could be a boom or bust prospect. Yes, moreso than most draft picks.

If he continues to impress and earns a top 12 grade, OK fine, Id have no problem with Okoye, but right now hes not worth the 12 pick.

As I have said a dozen times, use the draft, take the best value at your pick regardless of position. It could very easily NOT be a DT thats the best pick at 12.

BILLSROCK1212
01-15-2007, 06:46 PM
To be honest, I only feel Branch is worthy of the 12 pick at this point. Okoye has potential but is so raw he could be a boom or bust prospect. Yes, moreso than most draft picks.

If he continues to impress and earns a top 12 grade, OK fine, Id have no problem with Okoye, but right now hes not worth the 12 pick.

As I have said a dozen times, use the draft, take the best value at your pick regardless of position. It could very easily NOT be a DT thats the best pick at 12.couldn't agree more

mysticsoto
01-16-2007, 08:19 AM

As I have said a dozen times, use the draft, take the best value at your pick regardless of position. It could very easily NOT be a DT thats the best pick at 12.

Right now nfldraftcountdown.com has Miami taken Okoye at #9 (which I hope doesn't happen). They certainly don't think he's as raw as you say and are high on his potential:

Miami Dolphins:

This just might be the toughest pick to project in round one but in the end it came down to Amobi Okoye and Leon Hall, and the defensive tackle got the final nod. The Phins have plenty of needs but with Vonnie Holliday, Keith Traylor and Jeff Zgonina all slated to become unrestricted free agents there is a good chance Miami will be losing their top three interior linemen this offseason, which would make the position priority #1. The NFL Draft has rarely, if ever, seen a prospect like Okoye, who played in college as a 16-year-old true freshman and will still only be a 20-year-old rookie next fall despite having four years of Division I playing experience. Okoye is coming off a fantastic senior campaign and his upside is through the roof which is why he is one of the hottest names in the draft and soaring up the boards of most teams. Hall would be a possibility as well and the Dolphins need secondary help but Okoye and his potential are just too enticing.