PDA

View Full Version : After seeing this game, my only true Marv regret

patmoran2006
01-15-2007, 08:36 AM
From the day of the draft last year, I have and still do defend the majority of decisions Levy made on draft day. I think long-term this is going to be one hell of a draft.

but man, after watching SD play yesterday I really wish the Bills didnt trade up to waste that pick on McCargo.. I wish they woulda stood pat and drafted Marcus McNiel at tackle. That guy totally held his own against that talented Patriots DL.

Peters and McNiel at the tackle spots--damn that woulda been rock solid for years to come. Every team makes a mistake on draft day- but with the OL being such a consistent weakness this is one thing I wish Marv woulda got right.

Saratoga Slim
01-15-2007, 09:24 AM
From the day of the draft last year, I have and still do defend the majority of decisions Levy made on draft day. I think long-term this is going to be one hell of a draft.

but man, after watching SD play yesterday I really wish the Bills didnt trade up to waste that pick on McCargo.. I wish they woulda stood pat and drafted Marcus McNiel at tackle. That guy totally held his own against that talented Patriots DL.

Peters and McNiel at the tackle spots--damn that woulda been rock solid for years to come. Every team makes a mistake on draft day- but with the OL being such a consistent weakness this is one thing I wish Marv woulda got right.
Yes, I've thought the same thing every time I see McNeill on the field for San Diego. But of course Hindsight's 20/20, and I don't think anyone really predicted that McNeill would end up having the best rookie year of perhaps any of the OTs taken in the draft (RT's probably a little easier than LT, but I had a general impression that he played more consistently than even D'Brick this season).

He was ranked behind DBrick, Winston Justice and Eric Winston pre-draft by most pundits, and was eventually selected after D'Brick, Winston Justice and Daryn Colledge in the draft. I can't remember exactly, but I don't think he had a great senior bowl, and there were some concerns about him having back problems and being a little awkward in terms of knee bend and leveraging his tall frame. Not sure where the Bills had him ranked on their lists, but I think that he was regarded by most as less than a sure thing, and anyway, I can excuse OBD for perceiving DT as perhaps a higher priority.

Finally, I think Pennington has a similar body to McNeill--very tall, long arms etc. Maybe with a little more seasoning he'll catch up to McNeill and this debate will be academic.

All that said, you're right, Peters and McNeill would be a nasty combo.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-15-2007, 09:40 AM
If I remember correctly, Marv did not want to trade up. He's old fashioned like Butler in disliking giving away picks.

I expect the Bills to stay where they are and pick according to their rankings this year.

BILLSROCK1212
01-15-2007, 10:21 AM
Yes, I've thought the same thing every time I see McNeill on the field for San Diego. But of course Hindsight's 20/20, and I don't think anyone really predicted that McNeill would end up having the best rookie year of perhaps any of the OTs taken in the draft (RT's probably a little easier than LT, but I had a general impression that he played more consistently than even D'Brick this season).

He was ranked behind DBrick, Winston Justice and Eric Winston pre-draft by most pundits, and was eventually selected after D'Brick, Winston Justice and Daryn Colledge in the draft. I can't remember exactly, but I don't think he had a great senior bowl, and there were some concerns about him having back problems and being a little awkward in terms of knee bend and leveraging his tall frame. Not sure where the Bills had him ranked on their lists, but I think that he was regarded by most as less than a sure thing, and anyway, I can excuse OBD for perceiving DT as perhaps a higher priority.

Finally, I think Pennington has a similar body to McNeill--very tall, long arms etc. Maybe with a little more seasoning he'll catch up to McNeill and this debate will be academic.

All that said, you're right, Peters and McNeill would be a nasty combo.i actually did think McNeil would be the best of the OTs and no one seemed to believe me this guy was and obviously still is a monster

HHURRICANE
01-15-2007, 10:38 AM
I think RT is the least of our problems now. JP's biggest pressure came up the middle. An athletic QB can handle pressure from the outside where he expects it. RG, LG, and Center are areas where we need to improve at least one or all three positions. Based on how Pennington played I don't see a need for a stud RT as much as I see a need for a stud center or RG.

patmoran2006
01-15-2007, 10:41 AM
I think RT is the least of our problems now. JP's biggest pressure came up the middle. An athletic QB can handle pressure from the outside where he expects it. RG, LG, and Center are areas where we need to improve at least one or all three positions. Based on how Pennington played I don't see a need for a stud RT as much as I see a need for a stud center or RG.

Not to say if we had taken McNiel we'd be set on the OL. We still need help at RG, even if Walter Jones and Jonathon Ogden were our tackles.

And of course its hindsight anyway. Every team in the NFL has someone they wish they didn't pass up on.

I was just saying that would have been one hell of a young tackle tandem. I wasn't insulting Levy I thought he did a great job on draft day with the exception of the McCargo pick.

Forward_Lateral
01-15-2007, 10:44 AM
McNeill was passed on by every team in the NFL (18th pick in the 2nd round) because of his chronic back problems.

Dr. Lecter
01-15-2007, 11:10 AM
How can McCargo be a "wasted" pick after one year?

BILLSROCK1212
01-15-2007, 11:24 AM
and he was injured most of that year too

patmoran2006
01-15-2007, 01:20 PM

He's a wasted pick in THAT position not because of his talent or lack thereof, but because of the team's NEEDS and what else they could've done.

1- McCargo even if he turns out to be a good player, is the SAME kind of player as Larry Tripplett, playing the SAME DT position. Are you going to have a DL consisting consistently of McCargo and Triplett at the same time? Of course not, and if you are-- Prepare to get run on up and down the field. To boot, Tripplett was our one "big" FA signing last year--and we gave him $17 million. IF DT was THAT high of a priority, then we should'be taken Ngata or even Bunkley with the first pick at #8. I am all for having depth in the DL, but not using a first rounder for "depth" and trading up to get more "depth" on top of it.

2- Logic dictated for YEARS on this team that the achilles heel was, is and will continue to be (until its a top priority) the offensive line. Nick Mangold was an All-American center coming out of OSU, and if we had to trade up we could've had him-- at a position AGAIN that was of great need. Fowler could've played right guard and we coulda killed two birds with one stone.

3- as mentioned, we coulda stood pat and had McNiel. I was NOT blasting the draft or Levy, I said its the one mistake IMO that he made, and every team has at least one pick they wish they could have back.

Tatonka
01-15-2007, 01:25 PM
i am still mad we didnt take marques colston with our 1st rounder.

YardRat
01-15-2007, 01:29 PM
I can honestly say I can't recall McNeil's name even being remotely mentioned relative to the Bill's draft last year by anyone at any time.

It's nice to say 'If only', but I'm sure there are thirty-one teams out there right now also saying 'If only we'd have taken Marcus Colston in the sixth round, or higher."

The McNeil pick just further proves that you don't have to get an offensive lineman early in the first round.

Tatonka
01-15-2007, 02:21 PM
i knew colston was going to be the best wr in the draft.. i knew it.. i swear.

:couch: