PDA

View Full Version : Is relying on one RB getting the most out of that position?

Saratoga Slim
01-15-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm just throwing this out there for discussion, but if you look at the strong playoff teams and the rest of the top-ten offenses, almost all of them have two running backs that split time, as opposed to relying on a single workhorse RB to carry the full load.

New England: Dillon and Maroney
Indy: Addai and Rhodes
Chicago: Jones and Benson
New Orleans: McAllister and Bush
Philly: Westbrook and Buckhalter

Then there are the teams which rely heavily on their feature back, but have a backup who brings something different to the table than their feature back, and whom they employ in certain situations whether or not the main back is winded. San Diego (LT and Turner), Giants (Tiki/Jacobs) and Cowboys (Jones/Barber) are examples of this.

My point is that there seems to be a trend among the more effective offenses in the league to employ alternative weapons at the RB spot, and thus get more out of that position. Whereas I see us with two principal backs who offer very similar talent sets, with Mcgahee being just slightly more explosive. Thus there's usually little reason to put Thomas in the game unless McGahee is hurt or winded.

While I see Thomas as a phenomenal safety valve in the event McGahee gets hurt, I can't help but wonder if we'd have a more versatile offense with a quick, explosive kind of backup in the Reggie Bush/Leon Washington mold as an alternative to McGahee's skill set. Or similarly, if it would be smart to dump McGahee in favor of quicker, more explosive back and keep Thomas for shorter yardage situations where we need someone to bang between the tackles.

I guess I'm just looking for ways to see more weapons on offense, outside of the standard upgrade-the-#2 receiver tactics.

Thoughts?

HHURRICANE
01-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Were drafting a RB, no doubt. Could be a late round but one is getting drafted for sure. If we fill many vacancies through FA than don't be surprised with a second round RB.

PECKERWOOD
01-15-2007, 11:23 AM
I think Buffalo needs some talent at RB.. Michael Bush in the 2nd round is my pick. Probably won't happen, but I can dream. A true talent at RB could do wonders for this team. For one, if Willis plays poor we can bench him. For two, Willis plays better with somebody riding his ass. ( see Frank Gore and Travis Henry.. ) Last case scenario, if Willis plays well and Bush were to play well, we would have a solid run game.

ShadowHawk7
01-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Would anyone trade a 2nd rounder for McGahee? If so, I'd pounce on that, and grab a RB with a skill set similar to Reggie Bush to complement Thomas.

YardRat
01-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Thurman Thomes/Kenneth Davis in the glory years. Hell, Don Smith scored the first TD for Buffalo against the Giants.

I think it's a very valid argument and would like to see the Bills implement more of a one-two punch from the RB position next year.

Coach Sal
01-15-2007, 09:43 PM
I'm just throwing this out there for discussion, but if you look at the strong playoff teams and the rest of the top-ten offenses, almost all of them have two running backs that split time, as opposed to relying on a single workhorse RB to carry the full load.

New England: Dillon and Maroney
Indy: Addai and Rhodes
Chicago: Jones and Benson
New Orleans: McAllister and Bush
Philly: Westbrook and Buckhalter

I think your perception of a few of those situations is off. The only two teams on that list that I would consider their RB's "splitting time" are New England and Indy, especially if you compare all of them to the Bills situation:

(# of carries in parenthesis)

Definite Split:
New England: Dillon (199) and Maroney (175) - difference of 24
Indy: Addai (226) and Rhodes (187) - difference of 39
Almost feature:
New Orleans: McAllister (244) and Bush (155) - difference of 89
Feature:
Chicago: Jones (296) and Benson (157) - difference of 139
Philly: Westbrook (240) and Buckhalter (83) - difference of 157
Buffalo: McGahee (259) and Thomas (107) - difference of 152

Even a difference of 89 (New Orleans case) is over 5.5 carries a game.

I understand your point, but I don't think those situations are splitting time as much as you believe.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Teams have won SB's with feature backs, and teams have won with two guys who split carries.

Saratoga Slim
01-16-2007, 10:31 AM
I think your perception of a few of those situations is off. The only two teams on that list that I would consider their RB's "splitting time" are New England and Indy, especially if you compare all of them to the Bills situation:

(# of carries in parenthesis)

Definite Split:
New England: Dillon (199) and Maroney (175) - difference of 24
Indy: Addai (226) and Rhodes (187) - difference of 39
Almost feature:
New Orleans: McAllister (244) and Bush (155) - difference of 89
Feature:
Chicago: Jones (296) and Benson (157) - difference of 139
Philly: Westbrook (240) and Buckhalter (83) - difference of 157
Buffalo: McGahee (259) and Thomas (107) - difference of 152

Even a difference of 89 (New Orleans case) is over 5.5 carries a game.

I understand your point, but I don't think those situations are splitting time as much as you believe.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Teams have won SB's with feature backs, and teams have won with two guys who split carries.

You're probably right, I didn't do much of a statistical analysis, I was mostly going on my general impressions. But in any event, whether or not the top ten offenses split time equally a between RBs wasn't my point. My point was that most of those offenses have two different weapons at the RB position, while we really only have one (or at least one TYPE of weapon, as McGahee and Thomas offer similar styles).

Incidentally, I think the split between McGahee and Thomas would appear even more drastic in favor of McGahee when you consider that 67 of Thomas' 107 carries came while McGahee was out with the rib injury sustained during the Green Bay game. Thus, Thomas averaged about 3 carries a game when McGahee was healthy. That makes it pretty clear that Thomas is really a backup for when McGahee is hurt or tired, not an alternative weapon.

The King
01-16-2007, 10:36 AM
I think Dunn and Duckett was the best example of the change of pace back.

Saratoga Slim
01-16-2007, 11:56 AM
I think Dunn and Duckett was the best example of the change of pace back.

Or Vick and Dunn!

G. Host
01-16-2007, 07:25 PM
I think we need a battering ram big back more than a quick back. You mean Willis who was supposedly going to be drafted #1 before injury has not gained his pre-hype speed yet?