PDA

View Full Version : Sabres can't afford to stand pat again

SabreEleven
01-15-2007, 11:03 PM
In terms of player procurement and payroll manipulation, the Buffalo Sabres have done almost everything right this season.
And still they haven't done enough.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/170514

SabreEleven
01-15-2007, 11:10 PM
This article doesn't say much that us Sabres fans don't know.

Michael82
01-16-2007, 02:32 PM
we can't afford to get rid of Biron though unless we replace him with another solid backup.

Earthquake Enyart
01-16-2007, 02:44 PM
We don't have a glaring need that we have to trade Biron for.

THATHURMANATOR
01-16-2007, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't mind adding 1 more tough guy defenseman.(older vet with low salary)

We are set at forward.

Philagape
01-16-2007, 04:35 PM
With our depth at forward (Paille, Stafford) I wouldn't mind unloading Kotalik for a D-man. Defense has been one of the reasons we've been playing poorly lately. Against Boston there were so many open men and open lanes, and they have trouble clearing the zone. With another defenseman, we can bench whoever needs benching, and injury insurance has been badly needed this season and last.

chernobylwraiths
01-16-2007, 05:31 PM
GR has been talking about this. They think trading Kotalik is the best option for one of maybe two guys that are UFA after the season but have about the same cap hit. Gary Roberts and Bill Guerin. They also mentioned Knuble but I don't know if Philly would trade him. I would love to have Guerin on the team. Big tough player who can still score and isn't as old as Roberts.

SkateZilla
01-16-2007, 06:46 PM
we dont have the cap room either...

$50 says BRiere, Biron, or Drury will go, and Darcy will sign someone else at $4-5 Million to take one of thems place.. lol...

Nighthawk
01-16-2007, 09:13 PM
We don't have a glaring need that we have to trade Biron for.

Listen, the cold, plain fact is that if the Sabres lost Miller then we have no shot at the cup. Biron is not a championship caliber goalie and if anybody thinks he is then they're fooling themselves. My point is, why not trade Biron to get some help if it puts this team a step closer to the cup? I just don't understand the thinking about how the Sabres should sit back and do nothing...it boggles the mind! People, this team is truly close to being a cup contender, however, it is obvious that this team is missing something. What that something is, I don't know, but Darcy needs to go find and find it quick.

Philagape
01-16-2007, 09:22 PM
Biron would give us a better shot than any other option if Miller went down. Nobody's a championship goalie until their first one. Last January, who here foresaw the Cup finalist goalies being Cam Ward and Roloson?

Nighthawk
01-17-2007, 06:30 AM
Biron would give us a better shot than any other option if Miller went down. Nobody's a championship goalie until their first one. Last January, who here foresaw the Cup finalist goalies being Cam Ward and Roloson?

Biron has had his chance and failed in the past. That's enough evidence for me...stop thinking that everybody who is a Sabre is the greatest thing on Earth and start thinking realistically. This team doesn't need a 2 million dollar bench warmer, they need more veteran grit up front and a defenseman to solidify themselves as a championship contender.

SabreEleven
01-17-2007, 06:47 AM
and when we trade Biron and Miller get hurts, where does that leave us? Some 3rd rate in goal? That won't get us to the finals.

Philagape
01-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Biron has had his chance and failed in the past. That's enough evidence for me...stop thinking that everybody who is a Sabre is the greatest thing on Earth and start thinking realistically. This team doesn't need a 2 million dollar bench warmer, they need more veteran grit up front and a defenseman to solidify themselves as a championship contender.

"greatest thing on Earth"? Where does that come from?

Biron is 29, yet he's washed up? He's failed before and therefore will always fail? How old was Hasek when he won his first Cup? Khabibulin? Belfour?

I'm not saying we'd win the Cup with Biron, but to rule it out is pretty silly logic.

Not ruling it out means thinking he's the "greatest thing on Earth" .... ummm yeah ok. That's the same "you must worship him or hate him" logic than ruins the JP debates.

I'm also not saying we shouldn't make a trade, but we're deep at forward and can spare someone there more than a vaulable backup goalie.

THATHURMANATOR
01-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Anyone advocating trading Biron is a DOLT! No need. We have 6 SOLID defenseman and a good 7th in Paetch. It couldn't hurt to upgrade the 7th spot and have 8 solid Dmen. We are amazingly deep and forward and Goalie.

RockStar36
01-17-2007, 11:00 AM
I would have no problem trading Kotalik. And if Skatezilla is correct with his trade prediction, it better not be Drury. He needs to be re-signed and made the permanent captain.

THATHURMANATOR
01-17-2007, 11:04 AM
GR has been talking about this. They think trading Kotalik is the best option for one of maybe two guys that are UFA after the season but have about the same cap hit. Gary Roberts and Bill Guerin. They also mentioned Knuble but I don't know if Philly would trade him. I would love to have Guerin on the team. Big tough player who can still score and isn't as old as Roberts.
I don't hate Kotalik but he doesn't seem to have the heart. Adding Roberts or Guerin would be phenominal!! Either are playoff tested Veterans who have been there.

chernobylwraiths
01-17-2007, 11:29 AM
I would have no problem trading Kotalik. And if Skatezilla is correct with his trade prediction, it better not be Drury. He needs to be re-signed and made the permanent captain.

I worry about Drury. It is tough with guys who don't talk a lot to the media, but I really don't know if he wants to be here. Grier said he wanted to return and then left as soon as an offer was made even though we offered to match it (thankfully). I just hope he wants to be here. At least Briere lives here in the offseason showing that he likes it here. I would rather have Drury though.

RockStar36
01-17-2007, 12:24 PM
Drury represents what the Sabres are about alot more than Briere. Drury also performs for what he is worth.

Michael82
01-17-2007, 02:41 PM
I worry about Drury. It is tough with guys who don't talk a lot to the media, but I really don't know if he wants to be here. Grier said he wanted to return and then left as soon as an offer was made even though we offered to match it (thankfully). I just hope he wants to be here. At least Briere lives here in the offseason showing that he likes it here. I would rather have Drury though.
I like Drury a lot, but I'd rather keep Briere.

RockStar36
01-17-2007, 02:50 PM
No way. Drury to me is a much higher priority than Briere. Drury is a true leader on this team.

Philagape
01-17-2007, 03:33 PM
Briere is a superstar in the making, the kind of player you build a franchise around. He's gifted as a shooter and passer, he's the guy our speed offense revolves around, and he comes to play every night. Since he's the leading scorer, no one can question his production! And he's a leader too, since he alternates the C with Drury. I love Drury, but I'd choose Briere 10 times out of 10.

RockStar36
01-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Briere is a superstar in the making, the kind of player you build a franchise around. He's gifted as a shooter and passer, he's the guy our speed offense revolves around, and he comes to play every night. Since he's the leading scorer, no one can question his production! And he's a leader too, since he alternates the C with Drury. I love Drury, but I'd choose Briere 10 times out of 10.

I couldn't disagree more. But hey, you have your opinion and I have mine. I'd personally rather see them both stay.

Philagape
01-17-2007, 03:50 PM
I couldn't disagree more. But hey, you have your opinion and I have mine. I'd personally rather see them both stay.

Me too.

What don't you like about Briere?

chernobylwraiths
01-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Me too.

I agree with Rockstar on Drury.

What I don't like about Briere:
small and gets knocked off the puck easily
dives a little too often
is offensively gifted, but not as gifted as Max, Connolly and Vanek, he's a very good player but not a budding superstar IMO

Drury does everything. He's no superstar and doesn't want to be. He does everything well though including some of the dirty work. Stands in front of the net sometimes, strong on the puck usually, great faceoffs, leader by example including tough as nails. If we could get him under contract, I would take him over Briere 10 times out of 10.

THATHURMANATOR
01-17-2007, 06:17 PM
Drury is much more important to this team. Briere is not going to get much better than he already is(not that he isn't already very good). They are both about the same age also(near 30)

Why would some think that Briere 8 years into his career will take it to an entirely new level?

THATHURMANATOR
01-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Me too.

I don't think it is a question of not liking Briere. The question is why would you take him over Drury?

Philagape
01-17-2007, 06:21 PM
Briere's production could speak for itself (110 points in 94 games since the lockout), but there's more to him, too. His speed and elusiveness make up for his size (defenders aren't stopping him enough based on those numbers). He's a more complete player than Max, Vanek and Connolly and more consistent. He's got a high motor. He's clutch. He's deceptively tough (I was amazed when he came right back in after the O*****kin hit). He makes those around him better (ask Pominville). He's a leader too. What the team thinks of him is evident in that he leads all forwards in ice time and shares the C.
Drury's a complete player too, but Briere is more talented.

Just making my case.

THATHURMANATOR
01-17-2007, 06:32 PM
No argument with your assesment but I think Drury is many of those things and more clutch and more of a leader of the team. Don't get me wrong I love them both and hope they find a way to keep them.

Philagape
01-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Me too.

Nighthawk
01-17-2007, 09:06 PM
Anyone advocating trading Biron is a DOLT! No need. We have 6 SOLID defenseman and a good 7th in Paetch. It couldn't hurt to upgrade the 7th spot and have 8 solid Dmen. We are amazingly deep and forward and Goalie.

Your logic doesn't make sense. Riddle me this: Do the Sabres have a better chance to win the cup with Biron wasting away on the bench or would they have a better chance if they brought in a difference maker (say a really good defenseman) who would take a regular shift? Holding on to a player because "Miller MAY get hurt" is foolish. You have to make your team better and that means trading an asset to get some help. Yes, we would have to get a competent backup, but there are plenty of those in the league that we could pick up who don't cost 2+ million a year. I'm just saying that you have to think about this with one goal in mind and that is to win the cup, nothing else matters. IMO they don't have enough to get it done right now and this is why I would like to see them add to this talented team and put it over the top and bring home the Cup.

GThirst
01-17-2007, 09:12 PM
whoa whoa whoa.

They don't have enough to get it done? What the hell? We are tied for lead in points after tonight. This "slump" hasn't been a horrid slump. If this is the teams biggest slump of the year, that is amazing.

They will get out of the slump. Tonight showed the scoring prowess from the line changes is there.

Biron is a great asset, they just need to utilize him more. In game against weak opponents, put Biron in. Why not? He can blank teams almost as much as miller.

Miller pulls a groin, or breaks a thumb and we are screwed. Biron is the best second goaltender in the league, bar none. If we somehow are able to obtain Roberto Luongo, then I'll change my thinking.

Nighthawk
01-17-2007, 09:24 PM
whoa whoa whoa.

They don't have enough to get it done? What the hell? We are tied for lead in points after tonight. This "slump" hasn't been a horrid slump. If this is the teams biggest slump of the year, that is amazing.

They will get out of the slump. Tonight showed the scoring prowess from the line changes is there.

Biron is a great asset, they just need to utilize him more. In game against weak opponents, put Biron in. Why not? He can blank teams almost as much as miller.

Miller pulls a groin, or breaks a thumb and we are screwed. Biron is the best second goaltender in the league, bar none. If we somehow are able to obtain Roberto Luongo, then I'll change my thinking.

You're crazy if you think Biron is the best backup goalie. You might want to go look over some of the other rosters...particularly Anaheim's. Also, yeah, we're in first now, but let me think back to last year and wasn't there a team that also looked like a freight train smashing everything in it's path on the way to the playoffs? Oh yeah, there were actually 2 trains...Detroit & Ottawa! How much did all of those points help them in the playoffs? Oh yeah, they both were knocked out. That's my point...nothing is as great as it looks in the regular season and nothing is as bad as it looks in the regular season. You have to always look to get better because if you don't, you get left behind...just like Ottawa last year.

Philagape
01-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Adding players won't necessarily make us better. If we play like we're capable, we have a Stanley Cup team right now.

THATHURMANATOR
01-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Your logic doesn't make sense. Riddle me this: Do the Sabres have a better chance to win the cup with Biron wasting away on the bench or would they have a better chance if they brought in a difference maker (say a really good defenseman) who would take a regular shift? Holding on to a player because "Miller MAY get hurt" is foolish. You have to make your team better and that means trading an asset to get some help. Yes, we would have to get a competent backup, but there are plenty of those in the league that we could pick up who don't cost 2+ million a year. I'm just saying that you have to think about this with one goal in mind and that is to win the cup, nothing else matters. IMO they don't have enough to get it done right now and this is why I would like to see them add to this talented team and put it over the top and bring home the Cup.
If we had a GLARING need on defense I would be right with you but we do not. Not saying that we have star players at each of the top 6 positions but I have no problems with any of them. It would be foolish to trade Biron for a marginally better player than say Kalinin/Numinen and then have Miller go down in the playoffs and be stuck with a Denis type player in goal. While you may not think Biron can do it I can. Remember he did have chances in prior seasons but was he ever given a team like this to work with?

Name some of these Difference makers you think we can get for a goalie that will be an unrestricted FA after the year......

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-17-2007, 10:44 PM
What I saw tonight this article is wrong!

THATHURMANATOR
01-17-2007, 11:33 PM
What article?

you base opinions on 1 game?

Yeah Kalinin gave a puck away, but he also almost scored like 3 goals.

Dozerdog
01-18-2007, 07:10 AM
Hey Nighthawk-were you in a coma in December 2005?I see you are a recent graduate of the Mikey school of complete panic and over-reacting.

If Miller breaks a finger again (like Vokun did this year) and misses 15- 20 games you will be the first one to piss and moan that we went 6-9-3 wilth Adam Berkhoel and Adam Denis in net.

Just ask the Senators how far they got with the President's Trophy after losing Hasek.

Biron is a suitable and viable option. I think he's a top 20-25 goalie. And you are not going to get anything for him unless another cup contender (Like Anaheim or San Jose) has an injury plague in goal as well.

Big whoop. The Sabres arent the "Perfect team". They aren't on a 150 point pace like they were in November. Awwww..hey are only on a 120 point pace now....:( They are still in better shape than the rest of the NHL

Earthquake Enyart
01-18-2007, 07:15 AM
Given the cap situation, we'd have to give up 2 or 3 guys to get an impact player that we could fit in under the cap.

If anything we "sell" either Drury or Briere since they are UFA next year anyhow. :ill:

We probably can't afford to keep both. :wail:

mchurchfie
01-18-2007, 07:24 AM
What article?

you base opinions on 1 game?

Yeah Kalinin gave a puck away, but he also almost scored like 3 goals. 2 of the goals for the Bruins he helped on (the giveaway and the penalty he took) counted and the 3 he almost scored didn't show up on the scoreboard.:ill:

RockStar36
01-18-2007, 07:26 AM
Everyone pretty much answered the question for me. I have nothing against Briere. I just think that Drury is more important to the team and if I had to choose which one stays and which one goes, I'll choose Drury over Briere everytime. It was already said, but Drury does everything. He may not have the stats but he is a true leader. He could care less about the recognition. He does what is neccessary for the team to win. Plus he has the most leadership come playoff time.

Earthquake Enyart
01-18-2007, 07:33 AM
The bottom line is who can they sign?

That's who they'll keep.

RockStar36
01-18-2007, 07:35 AM
I could be wrong but Drury seems to me like a player who will take a lesser contract for the good of the team. I honestly don't seem him leaving, considering what we have here in Buffalo.

mchurchfie
01-18-2007, 07:40 AM
If we trade Kotalik and Marty we can keep both of them with a little creative restructuring.

Michael82
01-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Great post! I totally agree with you. He's the one I want locked up long term. :clap:

chernobylwraiths
01-18-2007, 11:44 AM
Saddest part is, we could lose BOTH after the season and there isn't a damned thing the Sabres can do about it.

THATHURMANATOR
01-18-2007, 12:42 PM
The bottom line is who can they sign?

That's who they'll keep.
Good point I suppose. In that regard it seems as if Danny B is getting more press this season meaning higher offers probably.

THATHURMANATOR
01-18-2007, 12:42 PM
If we trade Kotalik and Marty we can keep both of them with a little creative restructuring.
Not to mention Teppo possibly retiring/signing elsewhere.

Philagape
01-18-2007, 01:09 PM
Good point I suppose. In that regard it seems as if Danny B is getting more press this season meaning higher offers probably.

We can lock him up with an extension before he becomes a FA. Drury, too

THATHURMANATOR
01-18-2007, 04:34 PM
But why would they want to sign without testing the market. I know they are stand up guys and all but who could blame them?

THATHURMANATOR
01-18-2007, 04:35 PM
The whole key to success for this organization is replacement from within and a strong farm team, not sinking all our money in 3 players. We already have young guys like Novotny, Vanek, Stafford, Paillie contributing with another Future star Zagapran ready in a year or 2.

mchurchfie
01-18-2007, 05:32 PM
You still need a couple of stars on the team to be surrounded by these guys.

THATHURMANATOR
01-18-2007, 08:01 PM
You still need a couple of stars on the team to be surrounded by these guys.
If we lost Briere we would still have Max, Drury, Vanek and Miller as stars.

mchurchfie
01-19-2007, 01:58 AM
I'm greedy, I want Briere too, he has won us a lot of games this year. He is always the first one Lindy selects for shootouts.

Michael82
01-19-2007, 12:13 PM
I'm greedy, I want Briere too, he has won us a lot of games this year. He is always the first one Lindy selects for shootouts.
exactly.

RockStar36
01-19-2007, 12:20 PM
exactly.

He may be first to go in a shootout, but I'll still take Drury. He doesn't have the offensive numbers but he does way more for the team. He is in the corners taking hits, dishing out hits, and leading by example. Say what you want about this, but his name is on the cup already. He has the veteran leadership that Briere doesn't.

Philagape
01-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Unless you're in the locker room and at practices and on the bench, no one here can say who is "more" of a leader. Only the team can say.

THATHURMANATOR
01-19-2007, 06:51 PM
No I clearly said it.

Dozerdog
01-19-2007, 08:03 PM
Given the cap situation, we'd have to give up 2 or 3 guys to get an impact player that we could fit in under the cap.

If anything we "sell" either Drury or Briere since they are UFA next year anyhow. :ill:

We probably can't afford to keep both. :wail:I think they can...even if the cap doesn't budge.

Right now the two of them make $8.5 million- to keep them you need to find 4-6 Million more

Biron makes $2.5- let him go because he can easily make 4 million from a team like LA or Florida

Tim Connolly makes $3 million a year and has a fragile brain. Let him go.

Teppo Retires- or just don't bring him back. Another $2.5 million

That's 8 million right there- enough to cover Briere and Drury plus pay for their Rochester replacements (Paille, Card or Funk, and re-sign Mikka Noronen from the Russian league)

Nighthawk
01-19-2007, 08:55 PM
I think they can...even if the cap doesn't budge.

Right now the two of them make $8.5 million- to keep them you need to find 4-6 Million more

Biron makes $2.5- let him go because he can easily make 4 million from a team like LA or Florida

Tim Connolly makes $3 million a year and has a fragile brain. Let him go.

Teppo Retires- or just don't bring him back. Another $2.5 million

That's 8 million right there- enough to cover Briere and Drury plus pay for their Rochester replacements (Paille, Card or Funk, and re-sign Mikka Noronen from the Russian league)

You can't just "let him go" when it comes to Connolly. The money is guaranteed and counts against the cap.

SABuffalo786
01-19-2007, 11:03 PM
Saddest part is, we could lose BOTH after the season and there isn't a damned thing the Sabres can do about it.

I think we can keep one, if not both.

We're getting rid of a lot of dead weight at the end of this season, C*p or no C*p so we'll definitely have room to try and work out deals.

Besides, a LOT of teams are up against the cap like us, so I don't see too many big money deals out there for them...

Dozerdog
01-19-2007, 11:22 PM
You can't just "let him go" when it comes to Connolly. The money is guaranteed and counts against the cap.

If he's healthy- trade him for a bag of jock straps.

Or you can send him to the minors Like the Devils did with Mogilny last year. You can buy the contracts out too.

If he's not healthy, then you put him on IR (does not count vs the cap) or get him to retire.

Michael82
01-25-2007, 03:39 AM
BUMP! Again, great post! Something tells me that he is going to cost a lot. But I'd lock him up long term NOW! :up:

chernobylwraiths
05-19-2007, 06:37 PM
I think Drury has changed some minds!