PDA

View Full Version : Bills have options with disappointing McGahee

YardRat
01-16-2007, 06:09 AM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/01/bills-mcgahee-options160107.html

With the offseason having begun, many are pondering McGahee's fate. His contract expires at the conclusion of next season, which would make him an unrestricted free agent. When the Bills' schedule came to an end in late December, McGahee was clamoring for his high-powered agent, Drew Rosenhaus, and the team to get together and negotiate a new deal.

Despite McGahee's desire to make star-caliber money, he has no business receiving anything but an average deal. Why? Because frankly, he's been nothing more than mediocre in Buffalo. Of course, it hasn't helped matters that he recently recommended moving the small-market Bills to nearby Toronto, the most well-known city in Canada.

Aside from handing McGahee an unwarranted contract extension, Buffalo does have options. General manager Marv Levy could opt for a controversial decision and simply cut the beleaguered runner, whose less-than-colossal current deal wouldn't lead to any kind of major salary-cap retributions for the team.

If Levy doesn't release McGahee, there's a chance he'd look into trading him. The only problem is that nothing of value would be returned. Over the last two seasons, the only team McGahee's had success against has been the division-rival <A class=articlelinks href="http://jets.realfootball365.com/"><ACRONYM title="New York Jets News">New York Jets</ACRONYM> , whom Buffalo faces twice annually. However, non-AFC East teams likely wouldn't care much about McGahee's ability to dominate the Jets.

Ultimately, what the Bills will probably end up doing is force McGahee to earn any kind of high-end future money. He certainly doesn't deserve any right now; if he elects to hold out this summer for a larger deal, the team should let him. Truthfully, he isn't worth the trouble.

For the Bills, perhaps a free agent or draft choice with less baggage will be.

clumping platelets
01-16-2007, 06:40 AM
NY Giants need a RB

BAM
01-16-2007, 06:46 AM
McGahee will go somewhere else and be nasty. That's just how it works for the Bills.

clumping platelets
01-16-2007, 06:51 AM
Just don't trade him to Denver :scared:

X-Era
01-16-2007, 07:25 AM
NY Giants need a RB

Maybe they are sick of Shockey or Id even take Jacobs straight up.

RedEyE
01-16-2007, 07:26 AM
I want to see what he can do behind a much improved interior line. Mediocre, sure, but when the guy is having averages of 4 and 5 yards a carry once every 3 weeks, I think he has a reign of potential to become a superior feature back. Unfortunately, McGahee does not seem to have a world of smarts in that cranium of his. He's bound to let his agent (Rosenhaus) do all the talking for him. If he was more of a cerebral player, he would be 10 times more valuable.

Pros:
Atheleticism
Break away potential
Receiving back
Possibility of being a cheap feature back
Already knows the system

Cons:
Rosenhaus (negotiation tactics)
Smarts
Seemingly injury prone

jamze132
01-16-2007, 07:34 AM
Well maybe since the Jets can't seem to stop him, they would reach out and trade for him so he can't kill them anymore.

madness
01-16-2007, 08:00 AM
McGahee will go somewhere else and be nasty. That's just how it works for the Bills.

...especially if goes to a team with an established line. He has all the tools to be an elite back, I just question who's side this guy is on. His own or the team's.

I think this offseason will spell out his future with this team. Dick & Marv really have these guys believing in the team first philosophy. If McGahee skips out to Miami again, Marv will know where this guy's heart is.

I'd rather resign A-Train and draft a RB then put up with his "me first" attitude.

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-16-2007, 08:01 AM
It does look more and more that Marv and co. consider that they were stuck with McGahee and they can't wait to get rid of him.

RockStar36
01-16-2007, 08:10 AM
I they decide that McGahee won't be around, I feel the need to stress that A-Train is not the answer.

Lee-83
01-16-2007, 08:10 AM
Turner! Turner! Turner!

Luisito23
01-16-2007, 09:34 AM
I feel the need to stress that A-Train is not the answer.

Right...We're going nowhere with the Train starting....If Willis is leaving we need to have someone here who's better, and AT is not........

GO BILLS!!!!!!

raphael120
01-16-2007, 10:44 AM
I want to see what he can do behind a much improved interior line. Mediocre, sure, but when the guy is having averages of 4 and 5 yards a carry once every 3 weeks, I think he has a reign of potential to become a superior feature back. Unfortunately, McGahee does not seem to have a world of smarts in that cranium of his. He's bound to let his agent (Rosenhaus) do all the talking for him. If he was more of a cerebral player, he would be 10 times more valuable.

Pros:
Atheleticism
Break away potential
Receiving back
Possibility of being a cheap feature back
Already knows the system

Cons:
Rosenhaus (negotiation tactics)
Smarts
Seemingly injury prone

You can chalk onto the cons the throwing up after he breaks a big run. I've NEVER in my wholy entire LIFE seen such a thing. Your back breaks a big run for a touchdown and his body can't handle it??? You "forgot" to eat before a game? WHO THE HELL FORGETS TO EAT BEFORE A PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL GAME!!?!?!?!?!?

Don't Panic
01-16-2007, 11:16 AM
How about a three way deal with the Saints to bring McAllister here? He recovered nicely from his injury last year and would probably welcome the opportunity at a starting spot. We could deal McGahee to the Giants/Jets/whoever, they deal a pick to New Orleans, and we get McAllister. Either way, if they opportunity to deal him for a decent return presents itself, we need to jump.

Jan Reimers
01-16-2007, 11:17 AM
With his attitude, lack of work ethic and a rebuilt knee that will never allow him to regain the speed he once had, Willis will never be a great NFL back.

And if he's better somewhere else, so be it. At least we won't have to put up with his arrogance, stupidity and lack of class.

RedEyE
01-16-2007, 11:17 AM
You can chalk onto the cons the throwing up after he breaks a big run. I've NEVER in my wholy entire LIFE seen such a thing. Your back breaks a big run for a touchdown and his body can't handle it??? You "forgot" to eat before a game? WHO THE HELL FORGETS TO EAT BEFORE A PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL GAME!!?!?!?!?!?

That would go under "Smarts". The guy is not too intelligent.

RockStar36
01-16-2007, 11:18 AM

Chalk is up under the pros. He was playing with sore ribs, a bum ankle, and he was sick. That is why he threw up on the sidelines. Then he ate some food, came back out, and continued to run. Nice try though.

Ultra Chimp 1
01-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Even if Willis goes to another team and blows up, that doesn't mean had he stayed in Buffalo, he would have done the same.

Face it. McGahee will never suceed in Buffalo. The window has passed for that to occur.

I see no point of Willis being here next year. The guy doesn't want to be here. Trade him now while the value is high.

Michael Turner anyone?

PECKERWOOD
01-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Did you guys forget that McGahee had the flu and a couple of broken ribs that game when he threw up after that big run? Nobody mentions that.. I like McGahee, but I want somebody here who can push him harder, he has historically played his best football in these types of situations. ( see Frank Gore and Travis Henry.. )

RedEyE
01-16-2007, 11:29 AM
Did you guys forget that McGahee had the flu and a couple of broken ribs that game when he threw up after that big run? Nobody mentions that.. I like McGahee, but I want somebody here who can push him harder, he has historically played his best football in these types of situations. ( see Frank Gore and Travis Henry.. )

I'm talking about the time he just didn't eat before the game and couldn't finish out the half.

Ultra Chimp 1
01-16-2007, 11:33 AM
McGahee couldn't break 1000 yards in a run-orientated offense with a run first mentality in coach Jauron.

That's not good.

ublinkwescore
01-16-2007, 11:43 AM
to his credit, he did miss 2 games, but still, he's underachieving in my eyes.

ddaryl
01-16-2007, 12:38 PM
...especially if goes to a team with an established line. He has all the tools to be an elite back, I just question who's side this guy is on. His own or the team's.

I think this offseason will spell out his future with this team. Dick & Marv really have these guys believing in the team first philosophy. If McGahee skips out to Miami again, Marv will know where this guy's heart is.

I'd rather resign A-Train and draft a RB then put up with his "me first" attitude.

McGahee does not have "All the Tools" to be an elite back. He's dumb as bricks, does not dedicate himself to the Bills in the offseason, and has way too much off field baggage..

IMO McGahee could go anywhere in this league, and never get past average. Sure he'll have some standout games, but as soon as he gets some attention he'll start becoming a verbal jackass and gain the type of attention that can create baggage for an entire team.

2 options with McGahee.

1.) Let him playout this year and let him try to earn his pay raise, but draft someone to take his place because if he does have a real good year his arrogance will make him unbearable and he won't be Bills worthy IMO regardless.

or

2.) Trade him for a pick.

Throne Logic
01-16-2007, 01:15 PM
I really don't care how good could maybe turn out to be in ideal conditions as a player. He's currently a tad above average. All the great ones still manage to get their 1000+ yards.

The important thing for me is I am a fan of the Bills. I dislike anything that tarnishes the image of the team I love to through my passion behind. McGahee is just not a great human being. He's stuiply selfish, first and foremost. He's unable to think his way out of the 10 feet around his rock solid head. The comments, the random children, and everything else associated with him all derives from that point.

I expect that they will draft a replacement and see how things go in training camp. Should the replacement turn out promising in the short term, I'd not be at all disappointed if Levy just plain cut McGahee.

madness
01-16-2007, 01:35 PM
McGahee does not have "All the Tools" to be an elite back. He's dumb as bricks, does not dedicate himself to the Bills in the offseason, and has way too much off field baggage..

There's been plenty of great backs who were lacking in the smarts department and had off field issues.

Although, I did like how you used the "does not dedicate himself to the offseason" argument. I wish I would have thought about using that in my original post.

Jimbuktu
01-16-2007, 02:02 PM
I wish we never drafted this guy. Should have kept TH.

DAMMIT ALL!

DynaPaul
01-16-2007, 04:18 PM
I want to see what he can do behind a much improved interior line.

Newsflash: He isn't going to do any better behind a better line.

raphael120
01-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Chalk is up under the pros. He was playing with sore ribs, a bum ankle, and he was sick. That is why he threw up on the sidelines. Then he ate some food, came back out, and continued to run. Nice try though.

i meant the game where he couldnt finish the half because he didnt eat, too. he did it TWO times. nice try yourself.

HHURRICANE
01-16-2007, 04:57 PM
NY Giants need a RB

I actually think is a great idea. I would totally take Jacobs straight up but iIdon't see that happening

Philagape
01-16-2007, 05:30 PM

Plus, if the issue's the line, then we can get cheaper options who'll do just as well.

feelthepain
01-16-2007, 05:36 PM

BINGO!

realdealryan
01-16-2007, 06:01 PM
Even if he runs for 2000 yards, do we really want someone who thinks the team should move??

YardRat
01-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Willis McGahee = Antwain Smith

justasportsfan
01-16-2007, 06:38 PM
Who cares? That only held true under TD's era and his coaching hires.The players TD let go did better elsewhere because the coaches he hired didn't know how to use them. I only care what Willis does for the bills which isn't much. I'm sure they can find a rb who will come in and be Nasty just like Thurman. I'm almost sure that the A-Train would've at least done as well if not better if he was given the snaps Willis had both at practice and gameday.

I've been a Willis supporter since day one up until 3/4 into this season.

I want a player who does not take time off and gives 150% every snap. He's not half the rb LT is and yet LT gives his best every snap.

As far as missing games and injuries are concerned, I'm tired of excuses. Henry did that for us as well. Other backs have been injured , missed more time than Willis and still did better than him with a horrible coaching staff . Ronnie Brown is an example.

Trade and take what we can get. I don't care if it's a 5th. If we can find an Ellison or a Kyle Wiliams with that 5th it would be more than worth it. Forget what we had to give up to take him, that's TD's time. I only care about what happens from here on end.

The reason why some people put emphasis on those plays where he did breakaway is because he didn't have much of those which is why they stick out in our mind. Guys like LT , Barber, Jones Drew had a lot of those that people don't recall which was their best run. Too many too remember.

Workhorse? Well is he consistently had breakaway ability maybe he wouldn't have to work so hard. D's will take those 4-5 yards and use the "bend don't break" gameplan against that kind of rb. Hell he didn't even average 4-5 yards per carry.

Screw Willis. Better rb's are a dime a dozen. I'm tired of babysitting Willis.

RedEyE
01-16-2007, 06:45 PM

And you know this how?

justasportsfan
01-16-2007, 06:53 PM
And you know this how?
Everyone improved when the OL was revamped except for Willis. I am not willing to see if he can do any better at the expense of the team. I'm tired of waiting.

RedEyE
01-16-2007, 07:08 PM
You guys are so freaking impatient it kills me. The guy is in his 3rd year on his 2nd coach and 2nd offensive coordinator. I guarantee that some of you were even part of the lynching mob for Travis Henry as well.

You guys need to understand that it takes time for a team to develop as a whole. If you keep dropping key components and adding new ones, this team will never get anywhere.

Losman gets a pardon but Willis is a fall guy? Come on.

We have too many other priority areas to address this offseason to be worried about picking up a RB to mentor as well.

Granted, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he shows some mega signs of potential. As far as I'm concerned he is the best weapon the Bills have behind the line of scrimmage right now. You get rid of him for another lengthy question mark, then what? Wait another 3 years and dump on him?

I'm just so sick and tired of people complaining about non priority issues. Willis isn't a liability at the moment. He's not even a team threat. He's just a knuckle head with a bad agent.

He's contracted to play out 2007. He stays. Simple as that. Might as well get over it.

I keep hearing the same song from the same people.

Fletcher: All pro numbers but mediocre "cut him"
Schobel: "Plays the pass well but comes up short on the run - cut him!"
Clements: "His playmaking abilities can be easily recitified with a high dollar DT - Cut him!"
Spikes: "Lost a step - cut him!"
McGee: "Didn't return any kicks for us this year - cut him!"
Royal and Cieslak: "They aren't a Gates/Shockey/Gonzalez caliber player - cut them!"

and now McGahee...

It's non stop and completely stupid. Already the Bills have needs at DL, OL, and FB, if you cut every player and rebuild each and every season, you'll never get anywhere.

justasportsfan
01-16-2007, 07:12 PM
You guys are so freaking impatient it kills me. The guy is in his 3rd year on his 2nd coach and 2nd offensive coordinator. I guarantee that some of you were even part of the lynching mob for Travis Henry as well.

You guys need to understand that it takes time for a team to develop as a whole. Of you keep dropping key components and adding new ones, this team will never get anywhere.

Losman gets a pardon but Willis is a fall guy? Come on.

We have too many other priority areas to address this offseason to be worried about picking up a RB to mentor as well.

Granted, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he shows some mega signs of potential. As far as I'm concerned he is the best weapon the Bills have behind the line of scrimmage right now. You get rid of him for another lengthy question mark, then what? Wait another 3 years and dump on him?

I'm just so sick and tired of people complaining about non priority issues. Willis isn't a liability at the moment. He's not even a team threat. He's just a knuckle head with a bad agent.

He's contracted to play out 2007. He stays. Simple as that. Might as well get over it.

I keep hearing the same song from the same people.

Fletcher: All pro numbers but mediocre "cut him"
Schobel: "Plays the pass well but comes up short on the run - cut him!"
Clements: "His playmaking abilities can be easily recitified with a high dollar DT - Cut him!"
Spikes: "Lost a step - cut him!"
McGee: "Didn't return any kicks for us this year - cut him!"

It's non stop and completely stupid. Already the Bills have needs at DL, OL, and FB, if you cut every player and rebuild each and every season, you'll never get anywhere.
Impatient. We've been more than patient. He's now asking for a contract entension without deserving it.

RedEyE
01-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Impatient. We've been more than patient. He's now asking for a contract entension without deserving it.

And if they don't give it to him, what's the worst that could happen?

RedEyE
01-16-2007, 07:16 PM
This isn't a Madden EA Sports world we live in. You don't just assemble a miracle team in 20 short minutes and then dominate the entire NFL in a 16 week undefeated regular season.

justasportsfan
01-16-2007, 07:22 PM
And if they don't give it to him, what's the worst that could happen?
he sits it out. The bills will have to plan for that and plan just in case he plays like he did again this year. Besides, he's a hge question mark even if we extend his contract. He'll take plays off every now and then. Question marks with both his abilities and his heart is a very bad combination.

RedEyE
01-16-2007, 07:26 PM
he sits it out. The bills will have to plan for that and plan just in case he plays like he did again this year.
He won't sit out. That would be career suicide. And he has too many baby's momma's mouths to feed. Then when he comes back, guess what, he still has a year contract with the Bills. As ******ed as Rosenhaus might seem, he would never advise his client to sit out a season. There's no money in it for him, and his clients value drops over time.

justasportsfan
01-16-2007, 07:38 PM
This isn't a Madden EA Sports world we live in. You don't just assemble a miracle team in 20 short minutes and then dominate the entire NFL in a 16 week undefeated regular season.
you are making excuses for him while rookies like Jones-Drew, Maroney (etc) or players who have been in this league IN lesstime than Willis like Ronnie Brown didnt need time,injuries. OL etc, as ecuses to thrive in this league.

While you are waiting for Willis to do well, we may be mssing out on players like Jones-Drew or Maroney, etc. etc.

justasportsfan
01-16-2007, 07:43 PM
He won't sit out. That would be career suicide. And he has too many baby's momma's mouths to feed. Then when he comes back, guess what, he still has a year contract with the Bills. As ******ed as Rosenhaus might seem, he would never advise his client to sit out a season. There's no money in it for him, and his clients value drops over time.

Even if he doesn't sit it out and plays well, what's to say he won't start taking plays off once he get;s his contract? I am not going to risk the entire team for that. It's time to move forward. The entire O has moved forward except for the running game. Everyone can see the running game is what's holding the O back. If it's broken , fix it NOW and not HOPE it's fixes itself. Can't be passive about it. Again if there were no doubts about Willis abilities or consistently giving 100% I would again give him another chance. Problem is, there is doubt in both areas.

RedEyE
01-16-2007, 07:55 PM
you are making excuses for him while rookies like Jones-Drew, Maroney (etc) or players who have been in this league IN lesstime than Willis like Ronnie Brown didnt need time,injuries. OL etc, as ecuses to thrive in this league.

While you are waiting for Willis to do well, we may be mssing out on players like Jones-Drew or Maroney, etc. etc.
I'm not making excuses for anyone. I'm pointing out the obivous. In my original post I made a list of Pros and Cons on the guy.

And as for the offense improving, the only thing that improved was the difference in the passing game due to a line switch at the bye. I'm telling you guys now, the only thing this offense is missing, is a can opener disguised as a FB (easy pick up), and and a veteran OG. Get those two items right there and every thing else fits nicely together. The passing game will improve and so will the running game.

If Willis improves next season, then throw the contract at him for 2008. If not, then let him go and look to the draft in '08 for a replacement.

DynaPaul
01-16-2007, 09:19 PM

Look, runningback isn't a really complicated position to play except for blitz blocking and 90% of us aren't even looking at that. As was mentioned previously, McGahee didn't do anything more after we shuffled the o-line during the bye week. Everyone else in the offense played better except him. Looking at McGahee's touches compared to the few carries A-Train had showed that the guy just didn't hit the holes with conviction and dazzle us with his play. Good backs find a way to get yards whether there's a huge hole or not. For the self-proclaimed "best back in the league" he's shown that he ain't even in the top 10.

BillsFever21
01-16-2007, 10:39 PM
With his attitude, lack of work ethic and a rebuilt knee that will never allow him to regain the speed he once had, Willis will never be a great NFL back.

And if he's better somewhere else, so be it. At least we won't have to put up with his arrogance, stupidity and lack of class.

I'm not happy with the way he's played but I don't see where some of these statements are coming from.

McGahee works his ass off in the offseason. Just because he does it in Miami he doesn't have any work ethic? Multiple GREAT players from the Canes all work out there together. Do they have a lack of work ethic?

I've never seen an attitude problem with him. So he's confident and thinks he's better then he has performed, does that mean he has a bad attitude. I would rather have him over confident then no confidence.

Why does he lack class? Because he isn't a poster boy and has 3 kids. He's not the only NFL player having sex with multiple partners.

BillsFever21
01-16-2007, 10:46 PM
I like Willis but he isn't worth the money he will want. The first year he played he was an animal. He had a stiffarm I haven't seen in years.

Unfortunately we haven't seen that since his first year. I say we draft a RB on day 1 this year and give him a year to get his feet wet in the NFL and learn the system. It wouldn't hurt to have a better 2nd option then Anthony Thomas anyway.

Maybe the competition will push Willis harder. Face it this is his last year. Maybe we can get one great year out of him. If we're lucky we could franchise him and get a day 1 pick in return for him.

He will be good this year. He will be like many players and play great in their contract year. I feel after he gets paid though he won't perform the same.

Yasgur's Farm
01-17-2007, 06:30 AM
That's right... We haven't seen the stiff arm or the consistant intensity. We see a RB that's not smart enough to hit the hole and gain 2 when he's got a bad O-line... He'd much prefer to search for the non-existant glory hole and take a loss.

Josey Wales eulogised "I rode with him... I got no complaints". Well, I supported him... I don't no more.

Marvelous
01-17-2007, 06:33 AM
I just wonder why nobody had my back last offseason about this trash. :confused:

-I have about 30 negs to prove it. :down:

jmb1099
01-17-2007, 06:50 AM
BINGO!
Like Feely going back to Philly and throwing for 300+yards.