PDA

View Full Version : Anyone who thinks star power doesnt matter is crazy!

X-Era
01-16-2007, 08:01 AM
I saw something interesting in a commercial during the Chargers-Pats game.

They were showing Jerseys and trying to get people to but them.

They showed Merriman, Gates, Tomlinson.

Just think about that for a minute. Let it sink in. If you dont think having those 3 guys is a huge reason they went as far as they did, your nuts. How much money did the Chargers make from selling Tomlinson jerseys world wide?

How about Manning, Harrison, Freeney

We probably dont have a single name that can be compared with the aforementioned names. We just dont have that level of talent.

Now, we arent going to get any guys like this in FA, we just wont. But can we get a player who becomes one of the leagues best? YES. It means we do it through the draft.

With the exception of Gates, your looking at 1st rounders here. The 1st round is always the biggest boom or bust. The money spent makes it extremely critical to get a good one.

Last year, we took a DT and a SS in the 1st round. Whitner could be a great player. But its a few years off before he can be talked about in the same sentence as say Roy Williams, lets face it. McCargo hasnt done anything yet.

Nate Clements is one of the leagues best but not a household name. Well, Gates, Manning, Harrison all were resigned AFTER they became the leagues best. That propelled them into star status and they have stayed there. Will we make Clements a household name by resigning him to a monster contract? Probably not. And there you see a stark difference between us and these perrenial playoff teams. I believe it matters and has alot to do with our fortunes.

Can we draft a new star? maybe. I think the questionable situation with McGahee ought to make Levy and Jauron think long and hard about heading in a new direction. Marshawn Lynch projects to be there at 12 and is the home run hitting, speedy, tackle breaker that we wish we had in McGahee. But he isnt going to be the instant star that Reggie Bush is. If we are locked into a certain need in the 1st, maybe we go and draft Michael Bush in the 2nd, but the same applies, they arent going to be instant stars. Tedd Ginn Jr. would likely have much fan fare from day one if we took him. Hes going to be an exciting player and he will be talked about alot. Losman certainly should be able to get him the ball enough. And we dont need him to be a true #1 WR since we have Evans. But if he develops and becomes #1 quality, he may want to be a #1 like Peerless did and leave to find that.

What to do?

Okoye could become a star. Hes going to get hype due to his age, and he would be a fit in our system. But unless he plays like the next Sapp, he wont get the hype that skill players do. This move wouldnt hurt us at all.

Its not all about the hype, frankly its not at all about the hype. To us it should be about the level of talent. And in that vein, we should think long and hard about adding the best damn talent we possibly can with our picks. Forget what our biggest needs are. We proved that we can draft 6th and 7th rounders who can play solid day one. That may be true for the Bills going forward. But if we can get a game changer to help take us above mediocrity into something special, we should do it.

Ralph said that we just dont have enough talent; we need better talent. We know he doesnt usually pay for it, that may mean the draft. Marv grew up with Kelly, Reed, Thurm, Smith. If the owner and the GM are feeling they need star power at 12, we may see a bit of a suprise pick that looks more at whos the best talent, not whos the best need.

Im excited for the offseason, but lets not fool ourselves, our record has been what its been in part due to our lack of overall talent. Lets add some stars!

jamze132
01-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Last year, we took a DT and a SS in the 1st round. Whitner could be a great player. But its a few years off before he can be talked about in the same sentence as say Roy Williams, lets face it. McCargo hasnt done anything yet.

I stopped reading your post when I read this statement. Roy Williams can't do anything except tackle.

THATHURMANATOR
01-16-2007, 08:14 AM
I saw something interesting in a commercial during the Chargers-Pats game.

They were showing Jerseys and trying to get people to but them.

They showed Merriman, Gates, Tomlinson.

Just think about that for a minute. Let it sink in. If you dont think having those 3 guys is a huge reason they went as far as they did, your nuts. How much money did the Chargers make from selling Tomlinson jerseys world wide?

How about Manning, Harrison, Freeney

We probably dont have a single name that can be compared with the aforementioned names. We just dont have that level of talent.

Now, we arent going to get any guys like this in FA, we just wont. But can we get a player who becomes one of the leagues best? YES. It means we do it through the draft.

With the exception of Gates, your looking at 1st rounders here. The 1st round is always the biggest boom or bust. The money spent makes it extremely critical to get a good one.

Nate Clements is one of the leagues best but not a household name. Well, Gates, Manning, Harrison all were resigned AFTER they became the leagues best. That propelled them into star status and they have stayed there. Will we make Clements a household name by resigning him to a monster contract? Probably not. And there you see a stark difference between us and these perrenial playoff teams. I believe it matters and has alot to do with our fortunes.

Can we draft a new star? maybe. I think the questionable situation with McGahee ought to make Levy and Jauron think long and hard about heading in a new direction. Marshawn Lynch projects to be there at 12 and is the home run hitting, speedy, tackle breaker that we wish we had in McGahee. But he isnt going to be the instant star that Reggie Bush is. If we are locked into a certain need in the 1st, maybe we go and draft Michael Bush in the 2nd, but the same applies, they arent going to be instant stars. Tedd Ginn Jr. would likely have much fan fare from day one if we took him. Hes going to be an exciting player and he will be talked about alot. Losman certainly should be able to get him the ball enough. And we dont need him to be a true #1 WR since we have Evans. But if he develops and becomes #1 quality, he may want to be a #1 like Peerless did and leave to find that.

What to do?

Okoye could become a star. Hes going to get hype due to his age, and he would be a fit in our system. But unless he plays like the next Sapp, he wont get the hype that skill players do. This move wouldnt hurt us at all.

Its not all about the hype, frankly its not at all about the hype. To us it should be about the level of talent. And in that vein, we should think long and hard about adding the best damn talent we possibly can with our picks. Forget what our biggest needs are. We proved that we can draft 6th and 7th rounders who can play solid day one. That may be true for the Bills going forward. But if we can get a game changer to help take us above mediocrity into something special, we should do it.

Ralph said that we just dont have enough talent; we need better talent. We know he doesnt usually pay for it, that may mean the draft. Marv grew up with Kelly, Reed, Thurm, Smith. If the owner and the GM are feeling they need star power at 12, we may see a bit of a suprise pick that looks more at whos the best talent, not whos the best need.

Im excited for the offseason, but lets not fool ourselves, our record has been what its been in part due to our lack of overall talent. Lets add some stars!
Jesus! We get it... Draft or sign a star player....

Lee-83
01-16-2007, 08:18 AM
Roy Williams aint nothing but a overrated piece of ****, and star power don't mean **** if you don't have a line, or talent around you (Harrison=nothing without Peyton, Merriman= Nothing without roids, Gates nothing without Brees/Rivers/LT)

PECKERWOOD
01-16-2007, 11:30 AM
I've said the same thing JP.. We need to sign someone who is entertaining to help bolster ticket and merchandise sales.

PECKERWOOD
01-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Roy Williams aint nothing but a overrated piece of ****, and star power don't mean **** if you don't have a line, or talent around you (Harrison=nothing without Peyton, Merriman= Nothing without roids, Gates nothing without Brees/Rivers/LT)

Look at Brees in New Orleans. Before Brees and Bush came along, I wouldn't have considered their OL any good at all, but I guess things change when you have stars on your team, they make everyone look better.

Saratoga Slim
01-16-2007, 01:15 PM
I've said the same thing JP.. We need to sign someone who is entertaining to help bolster ticket and merchandise sales.

I think we need to win to bolster ticket sales. Part of the reason a lot of guys become household names is because they're good players on winning teams. When a team is winning it gets a LOT more media attention, and thus its a lot easier for the team's marquee players to go from well-known to household-name status.

patmoran2006
01-16-2007, 01:17 PM

He was gone before we picked anyway, but thats why I said drafting someoen like Vince Young or Matt Leinart would've been good for more than just on the field.

kernowboy
01-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Personally I would like to draft a player that most reflects and can help with the teams needs

Because when he helps us win the Superbowl, everyone will know who Losman, Evans, Peters, Schobel etc are

I'd much rather be in it to win games than sell shirts - talent doesn't have to play in a fancy position, have a weird touchdown dance or a smart mouth

Philagape
01-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Win. Period.