• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

my VERY short offseason plan

Don't get shorter than this, though I am working on a series of off-season peices for Billszone.

These are my priorities (in order)

And i'm going by the VERY safe assumption both Nate and Fletch are gone.

1- Absolutely sign a DT via FA who can help against the run from day one (Cory Redding, Robaire Smith perhaps)

2- Sign a top-notch FA LB (Briggs, June)- move Angelo Crowell to the middle. Spikes goes nowhere this year- I want to see given another 6 months and my investment in him how close to 100% he returns. IF he doesnt this year, Ellison is very capable of contributing solidly. If WIlson is willing to spend money like he did in '03 with Spikes, Briggs could be had, especially given his relationship with Fewel.

3- Sign an upgrade at either right guard . Steinbach or Dielman would be great additions at RG, depending on the price. We HAVE to consistently be able to run the ball between the tackles better.

4- Sign a TE who's strength is getting down the field and catching the ball. eVerett didnt work out. Jeremy Stevens would be a GREAT pickup for this offense.

4- Round one draft: Best cornerback on the board. If there isnt a value for that pick at 12, TRADE DOWN THIS TIME!

5- Round Two draft: a Running back. As far as I am concerned, Willis should be DONE with this franchise.. **** him and his attitude. Start A-Train for some of the year and develop a new RB. Darius Walker or Mario Pittman could be there in round two.

6- Round three draft: A DE who's strength isnt in the pass rush, but stopping the run.

Summary: They're going to lose Fletch and Clements, and are in good shape.. None of this bargain basement shopping for young raw talent via FA like they did last year. Sign less players that could make MORE impact. DT, RG, LB and TE are four MUST additions for this team. CB and RB would be too great draft picks early, ESPECIALLY if we handle our business via FA like we're in position too.

If this team (and it does have the money) was to get say Dielman, Briggs, Stevens and Cory Redding; I think they instantly become contenders.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: my VERY short offseason plan

I disagree, we still dont completely play like a team on a consistent basis, losing Nate is going to hurt alot, and Angelo is going to take time to adjust to a new posistion. If your moves happen, I see a year very similar to this one, where we dont make the playoffs.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

Losing Nate is going to hurt a lot, but the reality is we are not going to pay him, adn we're not going to pay Fletcher.

Id prefer to have them both back, especially clements.. But its not going to happen.

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
        Losing Nate is going to hurt a lot, but the reality is we are not going to pay him, adn we're not going to pay Fletcher.

Id prefer to have them both back, especially clements.. But its not going to happen.
        No arguments here but those signings you suggest and the draft picks dont do anything imo to improve the team except on the OL at Diehlman's spot.
        COMING SOON...
        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Walker's not an every-down back. He's better than Shaud Williams, but he's that type of player.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
            I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
            • Sep 2004

1- Round one draft: Best cornerback on the board. If there isnt a value for that pick at 12, TRADE DOWN THIS TIME!

2- Sign a top-notch FA LB (Briggs, June)- move Angelo Crowell to the middle. Spikes goes nowhere this year- I want to see given another 6 months and my investment in him how close to 100% he returns. IF he doesnt this year, Ellison is very capable of contributing solidly. If WIlson is willing to spend money like he did in '03 with Spikes, Briggs could be had, especially given his relationship with Fewel.

3- Sign a TE who's strength is getting down the field and catching the ball. eVerett didnt work out. Jeremy Stevens would be a GREAT pickup for this offense.

4- Round Two draft: a Running back. As far as I am concerned, Willis should be DONE with this franchise.. **** him and his attitude. Start A-Train for some of the year and develop a new RB. Darius Walker or Mario Pittman could be there in round two.
            The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• Coach Sal
              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by DraftBoy
              ........Angelo is going to take time to adjust to a new posistion.....
              Crowell actually played MLB more often than most realize last season. Not a ton, but he definitely got some experience.

There were several times I noticed him there after re-watching the game.

I think they've been preparing for this move for a while now.
              Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
              And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• gil
                • Mar 2005

I think we used enough high picks on the secondary last year - I'd rather see an OG, (even if we sign one) DT - or a stud LB drafted earlier.

If we don't re-sign Nate, and Youbouty isn't capable of stepping in, I believe CB help can be found cheaper in FA or maybe even later -- 3rd rd, etc.

And, I'm all for a new playmaking TE, and Jerramy Stevens appears to have a bunch of talent, but my goodness, he drops A LOT - and I do mean a lot - of passes.

I think RB's can always be found in later rounds as well - I haven't done any research on it, but I'd wager there are 1,000yd+ rushers across the league the last few years that came from almost any round of the draft.

just my 2 cents.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                  No arguments here but those signings you suggest and the draft picks dont do anything imo to improve the team except on the OL at Diehlman's spot.
                  Briggs or June at OLB after moving Crowell to the middle, and Stevens at TE doesnt improve this team? Or even Redding/Smith over Tim Anderson?

Comment

• Coach Sal
                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by gilbert23b
                    I think we used enough high picks on the secondary last year - I'd rather see an OG, (even if we sign one) DT - or a stud LB drafted earlier.

If we don't re-sign Nate, and Youbouty isn't capable of stepping in, I believe CB help can be found cheaper in FA or maybe even later -- 3rd rd, etc.
                    I totally agree.

Ask yourself this question: Are the Bills better off starting Terrence McGee and Ashton Youboty at CB.....or Terrence McGee and a rookie at CB?

The answer has to be TC and AY. As much as Ashton "may not be ready," he's still MORE ready than any rookie we could draft. He at least has NFL experience and a year in the system.

Plus, McGee and Youboty are both young and both signed for several more years.

At #12, you should draft a player that will start either this year or next year. Someone who will make an immediate (or almost immediate) contribution. I don't see how a CB can do that given the roster we have right now. You don't draft a CB at #12 to play nickle for three years.

Also, I believe Youboty was specifically drafted knowing that Nate would leave - and they wanted to get a year head-start on his replacement.
                    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
                    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• Kerr
                      Hall of Fame Zoner
                      • Feb 2005

Personally I'd rather see them get Rod Coleman. He's seasoned and is proven. He'd be good for a few years while they develop. Daniel Graham for TE and one of those guards like Dielman or Dockery. At linebacker bring in Boss Bailey to play the outside. If Nate leaves, at corner bring in Tory James. It's cover 2, corners don't need to be really fast.

Comment

• raphael120
                        Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                        • Oct 2005

I dont want jerramy stevens on this team for the sole reason that he's an @ss hole

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Or even Redding/Smith over Tim Anderson?
                          or a 300 lb sack of potatoes over Tim Anderson?

At least the sack of potatoes would be hard to move, unlike Anderson.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

I would be very happy if every element of your plan came to being, Pat. We would be a much better team next year.
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                              • Jul 2005

Don't get shorter than this, though I am working on a series of off-season peices for Billszone.

These are my priorities (in order)

And i'm going by the VERY safe assumption both Nate and Fletch are gone.

1- Absolutely sign a DT via FA who can help against the run from day one (Cory Redding, Robaire Smith perhaps)

3- Sign an upgrade at either right guard . Steinbach or Dielman would be great additions at RG, depending on the price. We HAVE to consistently be able to run the ball between the tackles better.

4- Sign a TE who's strength is getting down the field and catching the ball. eVerett didnt work out. Jeremy Stevens would be a GREAT pickup for this offense.

4- Round one draft: Best cornerback on the board. If there isnt a value for that pick at 12, TRADE DOWN THIS TIME!

5- Round Two draft: a Running back. As far as I am concerned, Willis should be DONE with this franchise.. **** him and his attitude. Start A-Train for some of the year and develop a new RB. Darius Walker or Mario Pittman could be there in round two.

6- Round three draft: A DE who's strength isnt in the pass rush, but stopping the run.

Summary: They're going to lose Fletch and Clements, and are in good shape.. None of this bargain basement shopping for young raw talent via FA like they did last year. Sign less players that could make MORE impact. DT, RG, LB and TE are four MUST additions for this team. CB and RB would be too great draft picks early, ESPECIALLY if we handle our business via FA like we're in position too.

If this team (and it does have the money) was to get say Dielman, Briggs, Stevens and Cory Redding; I think they instantly become contenders.
                              I would be very satisfied with that approach. I think its probably a little optimistic to think we'd be able to land Briggs, Diehlman AND Jerramy Stevens, but its not completely out of the realm of possibilities.

I don't see any true MLBs in FA that would be a real upgrade over Fletcher in the run game, and I'm not quite sold on moving Crowell in there. Thus, as an alternative to your plan, I think maybe I'd try to spend the big FA money to sign Asante Samuel (who should come cheaper than Clements), and then use our first rounder on a MLB. Patrick Willis maybe.
                              Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

Working...
                              X