PDA

View Full Version : my VERY short offseason plan

patmoran2006
01-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Don't get shorter than this, though I am working on a series of off-season peices for Billszone.

These are my priorities (in order)

And i'm going by the VERY safe assumption both Nate and Fletch are gone.

1- Absolutely sign a DT via FA who can help against the run from day one (Cory Redding, Robaire Smith perhaps)

2- Sign a top-notch FA LB (Briggs, June)- move Angelo Crowell to the middle. Spikes goes nowhere this year- I want to see given another 6 months and my investment in him how close to 100% he returns. IF he doesnt this year, Ellison is very capable of contributing solidly. If WIlson is willing to spend money like he did in '03 with Spikes, Briggs could be had, especially given his relationship with Fewel.

3- Sign an upgrade at either right guard . Steinbach or Dielman would be great additions at RG, depending on the price. We HAVE to consistently be able to run the ball between the tackles better.

4- Sign a TE who's strength is getting down the field and catching the ball. eVerett didnt work out. Jeremy Stevens would be a GREAT pickup for this offense.

4- Round one draft: Best cornerback on the board. If there isnt a value for that pick at 12, TRADE DOWN THIS TIME!

5- Round Two draft: a Running back. As far as I am concerned, Willis should be DONE with this franchise.. **** him and his attitude. Start A-Train for some of the year and develop a new RB. Darius Walker or Mario Pittman could be there in round two.

6- Round three draft: A DE who's strength isnt in the pass rush, but stopping the run.

Summary: They're going to lose Fletch and Clements, and are in good shape.. None of this bargain basement shopping for young raw talent via FA like they did last year. Sign less players that could make MORE impact. DT, RG, LB and TE are four MUST additions for this team. CB and RB would be too great draft picks early, ESPECIALLY if we handle our business via FA like we're in position too.

If this team (and it does have the money) was to get say Dielman, Briggs, Stevens and Cory Redding; I think they instantly become contenders.

DraftBoy
01-16-2007, 09:22 AM
I disagree, we still dont completely play like a team on a consistent basis, losing Nate is going to hurt alot, and Angelo is going to take time to adjust to a new posistion. If your moves happen, I see a year very similar to this one, where we dont make the playoffs.

patmoran2006
01-16-2007, 09:24 AM
Losing Nate is going to hurt a lot, but the reality is we are not going to pay him, adn we're not going to pay Fletcher.

Id prefer to have them both back, especially clements.. But its not going to happen.

DraftBoy
01-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Losing Nate is going to hurt a lot, but the reality is we are not going to pay him, adn we're not going to pay Fletcher.

Id prefer to have them both back, especially clements.. But its not going to happen.

No arguments here but those signings you suggest and the draft picks dont do anything imo to improve the team except on the OL at Diehlman's spot.

OpIv37
01-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Walker's not an every-down back. He's better than Shaud Williams, but he's that type of player.

The last buffalo fan
01-16-2007, 09:45 AM
1- Round one draft: Best cornerback on the board. If there isnt a value for that pick at 12, TRADE DOWN THIS TIME!

2- Sign a top-notch FA LB (Briggs, June)- move Angelo Crowell to the middle. Spikes goes nowhere this year- I want to see given another 6 months and my investment in him how close to 100% he returns. IF he doesnt this year, Ellison is very capable of contributing solidly. If WIlson is willing to spend money like he did in '03 with Spikes, Briggs could be had, especially given his relationship with Fewel.

3- Sign a TE who's strength is getting down the field and catching the ball. eVerett didnt work out. Jeremy Stevens would be a GREAT pickup for this offense.

4- Round Two draft: a Running back. As far as I am concerned, Willis should be DONE with this franchise.. **** him and his attitude. Start A-Train for some of the year and develop a new RB. Darius Walker or Mario Pittman could be there in round two.

:up:

Coach Sal
01-16-2007, 09:58 AM
........Angelo is going to take time to adjust to a new posistion.....

Crowell actually played MLB more often than most realize last season. Not a ton, but he definitely got some experience.

There were several times I noticed him there after re-watching the game.

I think they've been preparing for this move for a while now.

gil
01-16-2007, 10:14 AM
I think we used enough high picks on the secondary last year - I'd rather see an OG, (even if we sign one) DT - or a stud LB drafted earlier.

If we don't re-sign Nate, and Youbouty isn't capable of stepping in, I believe CB help can be found cheaper in FA or maybe even later -- 3rd rd, etc.

And, I'm all for a new playmaking TE, and Jerramy Stevens appears to have a bunch of talent, but my goodness, he drops A LOT - and I do mean a lot - of passes.

I think RB's can always be found in later rounds as well - I haven't done any research on it, but I'd wager there are 1,000yd+ rushers across the league the last few years that came from almost any round of the draft.

just my 2 cents.

patmoran2006
01-16-2007, 10:35 AM
No arguments here but those signings you suggest and the draft picks dont do anything imo to improve the team except on the OL at Diehlman's spot.
Briggs or June at OLB after moving Crowell to the middle, and Stevens at TE doesnt improve this team? Or even Redding/Smith over Tim Anderson?

Coach Sal
01-16-2007, 10:36 AM
I think we used enough high picks on the secondary last year - I'd rather see an OG, (even if we sign one) DT - or a stud LB drafted earlier.

If we don't re-sign Nate, and Youbouty isn't capable of stepping in, I believe CB help can be found cheaper in FA or maybe even later -- 3rd rd, etc.

I totally agree.

Ask yourself this question: Are the Bills better off starting Terrence McGee and Ashton Youboty at CB.....or Terrence McGee and a rookie at CB?

The answer has to be TC and AY. As much as Ashton "may not be ready," he's still MORE ready than any rookie we could draft. He at least has NFL experience and a year in the system.

Plus, McGee and Youboty are both young and both signed for several more years.

At #12, you should draft a player that will start either this year or next year. Someone who will make an immediate (or almost immediate) contribution. I don't see how a CB can do that given the roster we have right now. You don't draft a CB at #12 to play nickle for three years.

Also, I believe Youboty was specifically drafted knowing that Nate would leave - and they wanted to get a year head-start on his replacement.

Kerr
01-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Personally I'd rather see them get Rod Coleman. He's seasoned and is proven. He'd be good for a few years while they develop. Daniel Graham for TE and one of those guards like Dielman or Dockery. At linebacker bring in Boss Bailey to play the outside. If Nate leaves, at corner bring in Tory James. It's cover 2, corners don't need to be really fast.

raphael120
01-16-2007, 10:49 AM
I dont want jerramy stevens on this team for the sole reason that he's an @ss hole

OpIv37
01-16-2007, 10:51 AM
Or even Redding/Smith over Tim Anderson?

or a 300 lb sack of potatoes over Tim Anderson?

At least the sack of potatoes would be hard to move, unlike Anderson.

Jan Reimers
01-16-2007, 11:09 AM
I would be very happy if every element of your plan came to being, Pat. We would be a much better team next year.

Saratoga Slim
01-16-2007, 11:33 AM
Don't get shorter than this, though I am working on a series of off-season peices for Billszone.

1- Absolutely sign a DT via FA who can help against the run from day one (Cory Redding, Robaire Smith perhaps)

3- Sign an upgrade at either right guard . Steinbach or Dielman would be great additions at RG, depending on the price. We HAVE to consistently be able to run the ball between the tackles better.

4- Sign a TE who's strength is getting down the field and catching the ball. eVerett didnt work out. Jeremy Stevens would be a GREAT pickup for this offense.

4- Round one draft: Best cornerback on the board. If there isnt a value for that pick at 12, TRADE DOWN THIS TIME!

5- Round Two draft: a Running back. As far as I am concerned, Willis should be DONE with this franchise.. **** him and his attitude. Start A-Train for some of the year and develop a new RB. Darius Walker or Mario Pittman could be there in round two.

6- Round three draft: A DE who's strength isnt in the pass rush, but stopping the run.

Summary: They're going to lose Fletch and Clements, and are in good shape.. None of this bargain basement shopping for young raw talent via FA like they did last year. Sign less players that could make MORE impact. DT, RG, LB and TE are four MUST additions for this team. CB and RB would be too great draft picks early, ESPECIALLY if we handle our business via FA like we're in position too.

If this team (and it does have the money) was to get say Dielman, Briggs, Stevens and Cory Redding; I think they instantly become contenders.

I would be very satisfied with that approach. I think its probably a little optimistic to think we'd be able to land Briggs, Diehlman AND Jerramy Stevens, but its not completely out of the realm of possibilities.

I don't see any true MLBs in FA that would be a real upgrade over Fletcher in the run game, and I'm not quite sold on moving Crowell in there. Thus, as an alternative to your plan, I think maybe I'd try to spend the big FA money to sign Asante Samuel (who should come cheaper than Clements), and then use our first rounder on a MLB. Patrick Willis maybe.

Saratoga Slim
01-16-2007, 11:36 AM
or a 300 lb sack of potatoes over Tim Anderson?

At least the sack of potatoes would be hard to move, unlike Anderson.

Tim Anderson is like a sack of potatoes on wheels. They don't really do anything to bother you, but you can push em around if they get in your way.

DraftBoy
01-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Briggs or June at OLB after moving Crowell to the middle, and Stevens at TE doesnt improve this team? Or even Redding/Smith over Tim Anderson?

Dont see the 1st move happening. Stevens is so inconsistent that, and a one dimensional TE whose not a good blocker. Redding or Smith is an upgrade over Anderson but how much does that really help the team? We managed to upgrade our 4th DT spot?

Yasgur's Farm
01-16-2007, 11:57 AM
1- Absolutely sign a DT via FA who can help against the run from day one (Cory Redding, Robaire Smith perhaps) Agree... But I wanna look at this as a stop-gap situation while our DT's less Anderson gain experience... AND we develop our gap filling LB group. So I would be willing to consider an older run stuffer here for situational duty.

2- Sign a top-notch FA LB (Briggs, June)- move Angelo Crowell to the middle. Spikes goes nowhere this year- I want to see given another 6 months and my investment in him how close to 100% he returns. IF he doesnt this year, Ellison is very capable of contributing solidly. If WIlson is willing to spend money like he did in '03 with Spikes, Briggs could be had, especially given his relationship with Fewel. Excellent plan... Initially I'd given up on TKO and wanted 2 of Thomas, Briggs, June. But I suppose it wouldn't hurt too bad to see where he's at come training camp. We'd only save about a mill and a half off the cap if we released or traded him. All in all your plan would add less burden to the cap.

Sidenote... I wouldn't mind re-signing Kelsay and Hargrove and let Schobel play a little roaming MLB once in a while.

3- Sign an upgrade at either right guard . Steinbach or Dielman would be great additions at RG, depending on the price. We HAVE to consistently be able to run the ball between the tackles better. Absolutely! Either of these guys along with re-signing Gandy would give us a solid line IMO. Time to lose Villarrial to gain cap space... I'd rather keep younger guys for back-ups.

4- Sign a TE who's strength is getting down the field and catching the ball. eVerett didnt work out. Jeremy Stevens would be a GREAT pickup for this offense. Agree that Everett didn't pan out... Stevens sounds good but I wouldn't be dissapointed with Johnson or Graham either. Royal stays and dukes it out for #1. Either way our 2 TE formations will be vastly improved.

I'd also like to count on either Neufeld or Ceislak to fill our FB needs.

4- Round one draft: Best cornerback on the board. If there isnt a value for that pick at 12, TRADE DOWN THIS TIME! I'm in the big #2 WR group. I think that's our best value in round 1 even if we trade down. NOW... If we happen to sign Bennett I'll be sure to change my mind.

In either event, if we need a CB (I'd like to re-sign Thomas and sign Samuel), I believe round 2 will suffice.

5- Round Two draft: a Running back. As far as I am concerned, Willis should be DONE with this franchise.. **** him and his attitude. Start A-Train for some of the year and develop a new RB. Darius Walker or Mario Pittman could be there in round two. I like LB here or CB depending on how free agency goes.

As for Willis... I'd like to trade for whatever we can get for him. Then re-sign A-train and plan on him starting. If we get our #2 WR in free agency or draft, I'd like to move Josh Reed to RB to compete with A-train.

6- Round three draft: A DE who's strength isnt in the pass rush, but stopping the run. I think we need to go interior O-line for a back-up/future starter.

Furthermore...
Round 4 DT
Round 6 TE
Round 7 QB

Mahdi
01-16-2007, 11:59 AM

I agree with a lot but I dont agree with bringing in Cory Redding to stuff the run. He excelled as a pass rushing DT with 8 sacks sure, but he's no run stuffer.

Mahdi
01-16-2007, 12:33 PM
How about signing Adelus Thomas, he can play the pass, the run and a good pass rusher as well. I think he would be perfect for us at MLB.

DraftBoy
01-16-2007, 12:34 PM
How about signing Adelus Thomas, he can play the pass, the run and a good pass rusher as well. I think he would be perfect for us at MLB.

He's a converted DE to OLB, I dont know if we would want to make him do another switch. May as well sign him as an OLB and move Crowell inside.

Yasgur's Farm
01-16-2007, 12:38 PM
He's a converted DE to OLB, I dont know if we would want to make him do another switch. May as well sign him as an OLB and move Crowell inside.Yup... I think he may be my #1 choice for LB followed by Briggs and then June.

Saratoga Slim
01-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Yup... I think he may be my #1 choice for LB followed by Briggs and then June.

Yeah, you know I forgot he was a free agent. If Baltimore lets him go, he's absolutely at the top of my London-Fletcher replacement wish list. Briggs/move Crowell inside is second, and draft a MLB in round 1-2 is my third choice.

Saratoga Slim
01-16-2007, 01:04 PM
He's a converted DE to OLB, I dont know if we would want to make him do another switch. May as well sign him as an OLB and move Crowell inside.

I think he's plenty versatile to handle a switch to MLB. Read this article from ESPN the Magazine. He vaulted to the top of my wish list after reading this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2688334

Sounds like he'd be an outstanding addition, though either Crowell or Ellison would have to get bumped to the bench.

DraftBoy
01-16-2007, 01:22 PM
I think he's plenty versatile to handle a switch to MLB. Read this article from ESPN the Magazine. He vaulted to the top of my wish list after reading this:

Sounds like he'd be an outstanding addition, though either Crowell or Ellison would have to get bumped to the bench.

I love the kid already, Im just not sure we'll break of our trend of not spending money, I think he'll command a pretty penny imo.

Saratoga Slim
01-16-2007, 01:29 PM
I love the kid already, Im just not sure we'll break of our trend of not spending money, I think he'll command a pretty penny imo.

I think we'll spend some money this offseason. maybe not on a lot of additions, but if there's a single player they're really excited about, I think Ralph will spring it. He's made the comments about needing to bring in more talent, and he knows what that means.

But unfortunately, I bet Thomas doesn't even get to free agency. The Ravens will probably resign him or franchise him. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the same happens to Briggs.

Mahdi
01-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Ok after reading that he has just become my top FA on the list.... he is definitely a perfect fit for us. Thanks for the article.... now im just gonna be even more upset if we dont make a strong bid for him. But the fact that Marv said they want to get Bigger and younger at MLB gives me hope. This guy is definitely bigger at 6'2 270 and runs like a safety.

kernowboy
01-16-2007, 02:21 PM

1- Absolutely sign a DT via FA who can help against the run from day one (Cory Redding, Robaire Smith perhaps) I'm a little bit bored of retreads here. We missed out on Ngata who would have been a dominant figure for many years and we risk doing the same if we pass on Amobi Okoye. I am just hoping that we can drop a little for him and get an extra pick. Free Agency is spare and all we have here will be overpaying for Never Have Beens, Never Will Be's. AMOBI OKOYE, BILLS NT

2- Sign a top-notch FA LB (Briggs, June)- move Angelo Crowell to the middle. Spikes goes nowhere this year- I want to see given another 6 months and my investment in him how close to 100% he returns. IF he doesnt this year, Ellison is very capable of contributing solidly. If WIlson is willing to spend money like he did in '03 with Spikes, Briggs could be had, especially given his relationship with Fewel. How much of Briggs great play is due to playing alongside the awesome Urlacher? How many LBs have done well playing alongside uniquely brilliant teammates to flop elsewhere? Why a Linebacker with character issues from one of the worst defences in the league especially when we drafted a virtual close last year? Spikes has had a season .. if he wants more he can take a pay cut. I say we sign Casey Miller from the Bengals and if at all possible also draft Paul Posluzny. Ok, we don't have heavy MLB but we have 3 'backers who can play inside and out. I'd also look at getting a LB on Day2 as I think Haggan and Stamer have had their day and we need more than just Ellison.

3- Sign an upgrade at either right guard . Steinbach or Dielman would be great additions at RG, depending on the price. We HAVE to consistently be able to run the ball between the tackles better. I'm not sure about Steinbach's run blocking. Local boy Kris Dielman would be a great pick up

4- Sign a TE who's strength is getting down the field and catching the ball. eVerett didnt work out. Jeremy Stevens would be a GREAT pickup for this offense. Again I like Stevens but I think Dan Graham a more likely option as Royal has shown he can get down the field and we can go with a 2 TE set.

4- Round one draft: Best cornerback on the board. If there isnt a value for that pick at 12, TRADE DOWN THIS TIME! With Youboty on board and the opportunity to pick up a young vet like Ahmad Carroll, Mike Rumph and even Andre Woolfork, I can see us going this route. All those mentioned have been busts but with Ferrell, and Jauron have time to turn it around at minimum cost to us.

5- Round Two draft: a Running back. As far as I am concerned, Willis should be DONE with this franchise.. **** him and his attitude. Start A-Train for some of the year and develop a new RB. Darius Walker or Mario Pittman could be there in round two. No, not with one of the deepest RB classes ever next year. We move Willis on after the draft, hopefully for a Day1 pick in 2008 even if only a 3rd. It will help us be able to move up for the likes of Steve Slaton or similar. Pick up TJ Duckett to run with A-Train. Retain the best after the 2007 season

6- Round three draft: A DE who's strength isnt in the pass rush, but stopping the run. Or an OL. I don't think we can pass on someone like Doug Free or Joe Staley. Though I love Jason Peters, he is one injury away from ruining the season. We need a young player who can cover LG but who can be a better option than Gandy as backup LT

I would also consider this ..

R4 - a DE like Dan Bazuin or CB like Travarous Bain
R6 - a MLB, a think Zak DeOssie of Brown could be this years Ellison
R7 - a WR - if we could get someone like Mark Trannon that would be interesting
OFA - a FB like Jesse Allen

Getting the right players is not necessarily bargain basement shopping. Miller would excel at LB, Dielman is a more suitably RG than Steinbach, Graham has played in the North East all his pro-career and is used to the weather, Duckett will be up for it to either get a contract extension or a bigger contract elsewhere as he's only about 26.

Overpaying for vets or overpaying for one or two big names who may not be able to replicate their greatness without the previous supporting cast will restrict our ability to resign and extend those we need to like Losman and Evans.

DraftBoy
01-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Still concerned with how we are going to sign RFA's without giving up draft picks. Miller is an RFA from Cincy.

Dantheman1280
01-16-2007, 03:19 PM
I dont want jerramy stevens on this team for the sole reason that he's an @ss hole

Philagape
01-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Neither Graham nor Stevens does much for me. Stevens has a severe case of dropsies, and Graham had about the same stats as Royal this year.

DraftBoy
01-16-2007, 07:35 PM
Neither Graham nor Stevens does much for me. Stevens has a severe case of dropsies, and Graham had about the same stats as Royal this year.

Good post, didnt know about Graham's stats line, but wasnt he a pro bowler year before last?

Kerr
01-16-2007, 07:52 PM

The difference is graham is second on the depth chart behind Watson. They use him mainly as a blocker because he's so much better at it. Royal might still be able to become a good all around TE, but signing graham would give you to two solid TE's barring Royal can continue to develop. It leaves graham and royal to battle it out for the starting job.

Philagape
01-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Good post, didnt know about Graham's stats line, but wasnt he a pro bowler year before last?

Not that I remember. He had seven TDs in 2004, but his career highs are 38 catches and 409 yards.
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302195

He'd be an OK No. 2

Philagape
01-16-2007, 08:03 PM
The difference is graham is second on the depth chart behind Watson. They use him mainly as a blocker because he's so much better at it. Royal might still be able to become a good all around TE, but signing graham would give you to two solid TE's barring Royal can continue to develop. It leaves graham and royal to battle it out for the starting job.

We'd have two Robert Royals instead of one. Decent depth, but nothing to get excited about.

ShadowHawk7
01-16-2007, 08:22 PM
I think grabbing either Robaire Smith or Cory Redding and then grabbing a CB/LB in the 1st to groom, would serve us way better than drafting a DT in a 1st again and pouring even more cost into the position.

Kerr
01-16-2007, 10:37 PM
We'd have two Robert Royals instead of one. Decent depth, but nothing to get excited about.

Certainly. Graham is no Gonzo or Gates, but he's the best TE available. Would you prefer Eric Johnson? The 49ers couldn't depend on the guy because he was always injured.

Philagape
01-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Certainly. Graham is no Gonzo or Gates, but he's the best TE available. Would you prefer Eric Johnson? The 49ers couldn't depend on the guy because he was always injured.

Now that Gonzo is off the market, I'd put TE way down the list of priorities. If we can afford a signing after our other needs are met, fine, but I'd just as soon go with what we have than take money away from another position.

BillsFever21
01-16-2007, 11:37 PM

Stevens sucks. He had 231 yards and half as many drops as receptions. You don't like McGahee's attitude but you want Stevens in here? He's a jackass. I'm fine with a jackass that performs but not a jackass who doesn't.

kernowboy
01-17-2007, 06:14 AM
Still concerned with how we are going to sign RFA's without giving up draft picks. Miller is an RFA from Cincy.

He's not UFA ... bugger!! Ok, Boss Bailey then

kernowboy
01-17-2007, 06:20 AM
I think grabbing either Robaire Smith or Cory Redding and then grabbing a CB/LB in the 1st to groom, would serve us way better than drafting a DT in a 1st again and pouring even more cost into the position.

Wouldn't signing players as FAs at this position be pouring money into this position? - signing middling, never have been, never will be - FAs is not the way to make the position better

Drafting youngsters with talent who can come in and play in a system from the start, rather than unlearn another system is more likely to be successful

And this year most LB talent appears to be toward the bottom of the 1st. Depending how the draft pans out, we could be picking up a decent LB with our 2nd round slot - I could see Posluzny continue to slide with one or two having a great workout and we could get a top LB in R2

X-Era
01-17-2007, 07:00 AM

You deserve my praise for this post. Its interesting that you didnt mention a new QB, or even backup. I like that you are now behind our guy.

Why are you still in the neg? You shouldnt be IMO :peace:

I remember some good draft banter last year, Im looking forward to more of the same...ehhh?

X-Era
01-17-2007, 07:06 AM
I disagree, we still dont completely play like a team on a consistent basis, losing Nate is going to hurt alot, and Angelo is going to take time to adjust to a new posistion. If your moves happen, I see a year very similar to this one, where we dont make the playoffs.

You know who I wouldnt mind seeing us grab to replace Nate (not literally just the position), Ricky Manning Jr. Hes short, but our division doesnt really have any monster WR's either. He can play for sure and he wont cost an arm and a leg to get

DraftBoy
01-17-2007, 07:19 AM
You know who I wouldnt mind seeing us grab to replace Nate (not literally just the position), Ricky Manning Jr. Hes short, but our division doesnt really have any monster WR's either. He can play for sure and he wont cost an arm and a leg to get

He's similar to Nate in that he's a ballhawk who will gamble, and he'll get burned but he makes plays. He'd be worth spending money on imo.

DraftBoy
01-17-2007, 07:20 AM
He's not UFA ... bugger!! Ok, Boss Bailey then

Now we are on the same page

Saratoga Slim
01-18-2007, 10:21 AM
I think Thomas is plenty versatile to handle a switch to MLB. Read this article from ESPN the Magazine. He vaulted to the top of my wish list after reading this:

Damn, I heard on SIRIUS yesterday that the Ravens are almost sure to franchise tag Adalius Thomas if they can't reach a new contract agreement.

Mahdi
01-18-2007, 12:48 PM
Im really expecting Crowell to have a pro-bowl year next year either at WLB or MLB, it should be very interesting. So will watching to see what form Spikes will be in. Add an FA to that at LB and that will be an intriueing group to watch.