PDA

View Full Version : Chris Brown's take on the draft

Tatonka
01-16-2007, 02:21 PM
DRAFT NEEDS: The Bills' positional needs have been a popular topic that has been sent to my email of late askchris@bills.nfl.net so I thought I'd provide my answer here to respond to everyone in one fell swoop.

I believe the Bills will address NT, OL (G or OT) and RB on day one of the draft. That is just my speculation. Whether those needs are addressed in that order remain to be seen based on how things fall before the Bills pick in each round and who is still on the board when the Bills are on the clock. I think LB and CB will also be addressed depending on whether Fletcher and Clements are retained.

Some might be surprised by my thoughts that the Bills could be looking for another running back. I think Buffalo will be looking for a tailback that can catch 50-60 balls out of the backfield similar to the way Marshall Faulk did in a version of Steve Fairchild's offense in St. Louis. That's why despite the comments by Willis McGahee's agent Drew Rosenhaus last month in angling for a contract extension, I don't believe Willis will get it, at least from the Bills (again just my educated guess).

Many of you are asking could Willis be traded. I think it's a distinct possibility. Do I know for a fact that he will be traded? No. However seeing him moved at some point this offseason would not shock me in the least.

Look for more draft coverage on www.buffalobills.com next month especially as the NFL Combine draws closer.

i would think that of any reporter out there, brown probably has the best pulse of what the bills are thinking, and may do.

i would not be surprised at all to see them go running back early with the 12th pick if they see one of "their" guys drop.

he implies that trading mcgahee is a possibility.. i would love nothing more than to see mcgahee traded for a 2nd round pick.. take a beast like peterson or the kid from louisville (i cant think of his name right now) or lynch.. i am just over mcgahee..

i dont think LB will be a early draft pick because for some reason, i really feel like we will grab briggs.. i dont know why, i just feel like he is going to be a bill.

RockStar36
01-16-2007, 02:29 PM
I doubt they will take a RB in the 1st round, unless they trade down. Regardless, Peterson will be gone by the 12th pick.

Carlton Bailey
01-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Chris Brown = Company Line BS

Kerr
01-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Interesting. So if fairchild is looking for a marshall faulk kind of back in the draft then who fits the description?

Bling
01-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Interesting. So if fairchild is looking for a marshall faulk kind of back in the draft then who fits the description?

Lorenzo Booker

DraftBoy
01-16-2007, 02:46 PM
I read the exact same thing about the back he described

Ultra Chimp 1
01-16-2007, 02:48 PM
Turner can catch too.

alohabillsfan
01-16-2007, 02:52 PM
I would love to trade Willis for a 2nd round pick, for one I believe he is overrated and two he will not accept a resonable offer because he will want to be in a bigger market period!

Next I also don't believe we will take a big back, I see someone like Lynch from Cal someone with 4.4 speed and can catch!

My perfect draft is
1) Trade willis for second rd pick!
2) Trade down to 21 with Denver for both their 3rd rounders (only 10 pt diff. on chart)

Rd-1 DT AMOBI OKOYE Louisville Marv kida guy and will be here for 10 years!

Rd-2 (a) RB DARIUS WALKER Notre Dame Strengths: Walker is a very explosive back who could excel in a variety of systems at the next level. He has an exceptional burst through the hole and has the breakaway speed to get to the outside and break long gains. Walker has a powerful build and that combined with his low center of gravity allows him to break a lot of arm tackles. Walker has played in a pro style offense which has required him to pass protect and catch the ball.
Weaknesses: Walker has below average height, which is only so much of a hindrence. He could work on his ball security.
Overall: Walker has good NFL potential. He is versatile and fast, so if teams are convinced he can carry the work load, Walker should go on the first day, be a 3rd down back early on and eventually compete for a starting spot.

Rd 2(b) ILB BRANDON SILER Florida

Rd 3 (a) G SAMSON SATELE Hawaii

Rd 3 (b) WR JASON HILL Washington State

Rd 3 (c) CB AJ DAVIS NC STATE

Rd 4 TE CLARK HARRIS Rutgers

Rd 6 OT DANIEL INMAN Georgia

Rd 7 FB CORY ANDERSON Tenn.

clumping platelets
01-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Darius Walker.........I'm sure the Irish fans here get a woody thinking about him here in B-Lo :lol:

gil
01-16-2007, 02:53 PM
he implies that trading mcgahee is a possibility.. i would love nothing more than to see mcgahee traded for a 2nd round pick.. take a beast like peterson or the kid from louisville (i cant think of his name right now) or lynch.. i am just over mcgahee..

I would like to see this as well, but I don't see us getting a 2nd rounder for Willis - granted he's more of a "name" than Henry was when we got a 3rd (I believe) for him, but hey - you never know!

DraftBoy
01-16-2007, 03:02 PM
Darius Walker.........I'm sure the Irish fans here get a woody thinking about him here in B-Lo :lol:

Makes me want to puke

Ultra Chimp 1
01-16-2007, 03:05 PM
Michael Turner.

DraftBoy
01-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Michael Turner.

Yes we saw you say it the first time

Dr. Lecter
01-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Michael Turner.

I don't disagree. I am worried the Jets or Giants are going after him huge though.

DraftBoy
01-16-2007, 03:10 PM
I don't disagree. I am worried the Jets or Giants are going after him huge though.

Why are you worried, Turner is not an everydown back and the Jets have Washington already, I dont think they'll want Turner.

Saratoga Slim
01-16-2007, 03:13 PM
i dont think LB will be a early draft pick because for some reason, i really feel like we will grab briggs.. i dont know why, i just feel like he is going to be a bill.

Jauron's Chicago connection might help bring Briggs here. I'd certainly be OK with that. I'd also be OK with Adalius Thomas from Baltimore.

I honestly don't have any inkling as to what OBD is going to do at the LB position. On one hand, Jauron's effusive praise of Ellison makes me think that they're contemplating giving him the starting role, and going Spikes-Crowell-Ellison.

On the other, I have to think that they'd be worried about putting their chips on Spikes (who is an injury question mark), Crowell (who would be a converted MLB) and Ellison (who has shown great potential but is still young), when stopping the run is such an obvious need.

Thus, I would not surprised to see Briggs or Thomas signed (providing either escapes the franchise tag), or a high draft pick spent, on MLB. However, in such a case, who's the odd man out? I don't think we keep Spikes around unless we are fairly confident he's going to make further recovery and therefore gaurantee him a starting role. Crowell has proven himself as a competent but inexpensive LB and I can't see them sitting him down. Finally, they seem very high on Ellison, and I doubt they'd want to cut him out of the picture by doing a Spikes-Crowell-Briggs (or Thomas/draftee) thing.

Tough predicament. You don't want to give up on Spikes, who may very well return with a vengeance next year (like Julian Peterson did this year), cut short Ellison's development if he's got a shot to be a cheap young star, or Crowell who is a very solid LB.

This is going to be a very interesting offseason.

Kerr
01-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Rd-2 (a) RB DARIUS WALKER Notre Dame Strengths: Walker is a very explosive back who could excel in a variety of systems at the next level. He has an exceptional burst through the hole and has the breakaway speed to get to the outside and break long gains. Walker has a powerful build and that combined with his low center of gravity allows him to break a lot of arm tackles. Walker has played in a pro style offense which has required him to pass protect and catch the ball.
Weaknesses: Walker has below average height, which is only so much of a hindrence. He could work on his ball security.
Overall: Walker has good NFL potential. He is versatile and fast, so if teams are convinced he can carry the work load, Walker should go on the first day, be a 3rd down back early on and eventually compete for a starting spot.

:up: People are really down on Darius as a back in the nfl. Mel Kiper Jr compared him to a Brain Westbrook. Charlie Weis compared him to a kevin faulk, but with way more speed. Why his height and size is a concern, I don't know. Brian Westbrook is near the same heigh and weight as Walker. So are other backs in the nfl. Walker has excellent field vision and has way more speed and burst than people give him credit for. He's a good receiver and willing blocker. I think he'd be a good fit for fairchild's offense.

mysticsoto
Why are you worried, Turner is not an everydown back and the Jets have Washington already, I dont think they'll want Turner.

Turner could likely be an everydown back. He's just never been given a chance.

The Jets are a good RB away from being a strong playoff contention team!

Saratoga Slim

I think everyone's just about over McGahee. Fine, he played hard despite the rib injury this season. But he just doesn't produce quite enough to make one forget what a complete idiot he is.

Tatonka
01-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Lorenzo Booker

i would take him in a heartbeat.. if he played like he did in the bowl game.. not the rest of the season where he was a nobody.

clumping platelets
01-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Michael Turner, who will be a RFA, is likely to get the 1st & 3rd tender offer..........NYJ/NYG would need to negotiate a trade cuz neither would want to give up that much for him

Ultra Chimp 1
01-16-2007, 03:28 PM

The Giants already have Jacobs who did pretty darn good this year.

Ultra Chimp 1
01-16-2007, 03:29 PM

Says you.

Tatonka
01-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Makes me want to puke

me too

Tatonka
01-16-2007, 03:38 PM
On the other, I have to think that they'd be worried about putting their chips on Spikes (who is an injury question mark), Crowell (who would be a converted MLB) and Ellison (who has shown great potential but is still young), when stopping the run is such an obvious need.

crowell was actually a MLB here for years before being moved to WSLB.

spikes has always been a MLB in cincy, granted the second of 2 in a 3-4, but still a MLB.

Ellison would be fine at WSLB.

i would still rather see ellison sit and crowell play WS, Briggs at MLB, and Spikes at SSLB.

PECKERWOOD
01-16-2007, 05:16 PM
There is no question in my mind that drafting a RB in the 1st - 2nd round is a good idea. I would really like to see some fresh faces at that position. I'm not impressed with either McGahee or A-Train.

YardRat
01-16-2007, 05:52 PM
Even if Briggs is signed, which IMO is a longshot, I don't see him moving to the middle here. Spikes, either. Crowell, yes. I could see a trio of Spikes-Crowell-Briggs if he were to fall into our lap.

DraftBoy
01-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Says you.

Umm yes you did quote it from me after all, Id hope I said it

DraftBoy
01-16-2007, 07:31 PM
Even if Briggs is signed, which IMO is a longshot, I don't see him moving to the middle here. Spikes, either. Crowell, yes. I could see a trio of Spikes-Crowell-Briggs if he were to fall into our lap.

I dont see us spending the money on Briggs, June, or Thomas this offseason. Maybe Bailey or Henderson, we have just never been known for spending big money, which I think all those guys will command. I think guys are getting their hopes up way too high.

DraftBoy
01-16-2007, 07:32 PM
There is no question in my mind that drafting a RB in the 1st - 2nd round is a good idea. I would really like to see some fresh faces at that position. I'm not impressed with either McGahee or A-Train.

Complete agreement!

I dont think McGahee is as bad as some make him out to be, but I dont see where all the man love for A-train comes from.

G. Host
01-16-2007, 07:59 PM
I would like to see this as well, but I don't see us getting a 2nd rounder for Willis - granted he's more of a "name" than Henry was when we got a 3rd (I believe) for him, but hey - you never know!

Henry had been a more productive back in his career and appeared to be in dog house because Donahoe wanted to play with a new toy.

Combine production + injury issues + off field issues + not wanting to participate in training camp + agent and I doubt we will get as good as pick as we got for O'Henry.

Night Train
01-17-2007, 02:34 AM
What about Marshawn Lynch of Cal ? Is he one of the ones the Bills would consider at #12 overall ? He has the complete game.

DraftBoy
01-17-2007, 07:30 AM
What about Marshawn Lynch of Cal ? Is he one of the ones the Bills would consider at #12 overall ? He has the complete game.

We may consider him, but it would also signal the end of McGahee

Night Train
01-17-2007, 09:40 AM
We may consider him, but it would also signal the end of McGahee

All the more reason to like him.

He has a better all around game than McGahee.

NC-BILLS44
01-17-2007, 01:26 PM
I like Lynch from Cal and Michael Bush from Louisville. I thinks both can be quite versitile. I guess it depends on what size of RB they want to use.

ParanoidAndroid
01-17-2007, 01:46 PM
I would love to trade Willis for a 2nd round pick, for one I believe he is overrated and two he will not accept a resonable offer because he will want to be in a bigger market period!

Next I also don't believe we will take a big back, I see someone like Lynch from Cal someone with 4.4 speed and can catch!

My perfect draft is
1) Trade willis for second rd pick!
2) Trade down to 21 with Denver for both their 3rd rounders (only 10 pt diff. on chart)

Rd-1 DT AMOBI OKOYE Louisville Marv kida guy and will be here for 10 years!

Rd 2(b) ILB BRANDON SILER Florida

Rd 3 (a) G SAMSON SATELE Hawaii

Rd 3 (b) WR JASON HILL Washington State

Rd 3 (c) CB AJ DAVIS NC STATE

Rd 4 TE CLARK HARRIS Rutgers

Rd 6 OT DANIEL INMAN Georgia

Rd 7 FB CORY ANDERSON Tenn.

You might want to provide a link to the blurb on Walker since it was cut and pasted from a mock draft site.

Who is the trade bait for Denver...who are they moving up to get?

I like this draft, not just because we would have an amazing 6 first day picks, but the picks themselves make sense. The only thing I would do differently is go after a CB earlier.

ParanoidAndroid
01-17-2007, 01:54 PM
The RB class is a better next year. I think if the Bills wanted a high end talent out of the draft, it would be best to wait until then.
Is Ladell Betts a one-hit wonder? If not, he's versatile enough to play in Fairchild's offense. I also still think that A-Train can return to his rookie year form. He had 22 catches in spot duty and he usually did something with it. He's coming up on 30, but with a relatively short career, his body hasn't taken the beating that most 30 year-old RB's have. Also, we have recently seen that the age of 30 does not necessarily indicate a RB has seen his best years a la Tiki Barber, and Curtis Martin 2004.

Mahdi
01-17-2007, 05:54 PM
I dont see us spending the money on Briggs, June, or Thomas this offseason. Maybe Bailey or Henderson, we have just never been known for spending big money, which I think all those guys will command. I think guys are getting their hopes up way too high.
We spent that kind of money on Spikes and Fletcher, why not Briggs or June?

DraftBoy
01-17-2007, 08:55 PM
We spent that kind of money on Spikes and Fletcher, why not Briggs or June?

Different Regime now, TD would spend money, Levy has shown no propensity to want to do that.

Tatonka
01-17-2007, 09:35 PM
has levy shown that he wont spend either though? what player did we lose out on due to levy not being willing to spend?

i will take bush in a heartbeat. he may fall some too..

DraftBoy
01-18-2007, 07:23 AM
has levy shown that he wont spend either though? what player did we lose out on due to levy not being willing to spend?

i will take bush in a heartbeat. he may fall some too..

Pickett...rumor was we were close but he wanted a little more but Levy wouldnt give it to him

Dr. Lecter
01-18-2007, 07:28 AM
I read the Pickett thing was that the same deal was offerred that GB gave him, he decided he preferred GB.

DraftBoy
01-18-2007, 07:33 AM
I read the Pickett thing was that the same deal was offerred that GB gave him, he decided he preferred GB.

I heard it was a million off

DraftBoy
01-18-2007, 07:33 AM
I heard it was a million off

I could be wrong, it was a while ago

Earthquake Enyart
01-18-2007, 07:36 AM
Adalius Thomas will be tagged by the Ravens.

I can't see the Bills forking out a ton of money for Briggs, and the Bears may tag him as well.

We aren't drafting a RB in round 1. Period.

I think we take a CB.

alohabillsfan
01-18-2007, 08:01 AM
:up: People are really down on Darius as a back in the nfl. Mel Kiper Jr compared him to a Brain Westbrook. Charlie Weis compared him to a kevin faulk, but with way more speed. Why his height and size is a concern, I don't know. Brian Westbrook is near the same heigh and weight as Walker. So are other backs in the nfl. Walker has excellent field vision and has way more speed and burst than people give him credit for. He's a good receiver and willing blocker. I think he'd be a good fit for fairchild's offense.

Averaged 20 carries per game for 100 yards in 2006
Averaged 4 catches per game for 30 yards in 2006.

And all of you ND fans know he would of had more rushing yards if Weis wasn't so pass happy!