• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BILLSROCK1212
    !?!?!?!?!?
    • Mar 2006

Alabama QB Mitch Mustain to leave team

I just saw this on ESPNEWS......I know he was having a tough time trying to get the starting job and all but he was a top recruit....does this mean he is quiting football forever or will he transfer? Once I find a link I will post it.

Edit: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2733190

now this all makes sense....i forgot about his o-coordinator being from his high school...idk how it will benefit him much by going to Tulsa though

Updated: Jan. 16, 2007, 7:05 PM ET
    Nutt: Mustain can leave Arkansas

Associated Press

LITTLE ROCK -- Arkansas quarterback Mitch Mustain, undefeated as a Razorbacks' starter, is now allowed to transfer.
    Mustain asked for permission to switch schools, and coach Houston Nutt appeared to be holding out hope Mustain might decide to stay with the team even after receiving his release.
    "I don't know for sure where we are right now," Nutt said Tuesday. "Naturally, I don't want him to go. I want him to stay here."
    The move came one day after offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn, Mustain's high school coach, left to become assistant head coach and co-offensive coordinator at Tulsa. Mustain and Malzahn joined the Razorbacks a year ago from Springdale High School.
    The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported on its Web site that Mustain was not in class Tuesday for the beginning of the spring semester. The newspaper also said Mustain will transfer to Tulsa and will pay his own way there this semester.
    Mustain was the Parade magazine prep player of the year in 2005.
    Nutt said he met with Mustain to talk about the freshman's future, but he wouldn't go into detail about what was said. The coach acknowledged he doesn't remember many instances of players changing their minds after being released.
    Mustain went 8-0 as a starter in 2006, helping Arkansas to a 10-4 season and a No. 15 ranking.
    But Mustain was benched in a win over South Carolina in November, and he hardly played again until he split time with starter Casey Dick in the Razorbacks' Capital One Bowl loss to Wisconsin.
    Last month, the parents of Mustain and two other freshmen met with athletic director Frank Broyles amid concerns that Malzahn didn't have enough control over the offense. One of the freshmen, receiver Damian Williams, has since transferred to Southern California, and now Mustain has asked for his release.
    The third, tight end Ben Cleveland, was in Kansas for a friend's funeral. His status is unclear, Nutt said.
    Arkansas hired Malzahn after the 2005 season, and Mustain eventually signed with the Razorbacks. But Arkansas relied on its running game -- tailback Darren McFadden was the Heisman Trophy runner-up -- and the spread, no-huddle offense Malzahn used in high school never became a fixture.
    The Razorbacks won 10 straight games this season -- but the warm feelings from that stretch have been overshadowed lately. Arkansas lost three in a row to end the season, and now Malzahn's abrupt departure has caused more turmoil.

"I've told all the players, if they want their release, we'll grant their release," Nutt said.
    Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: Alabama QB Mitch Mustain to leave team

Heard this was coming weeks ago....Dont know if he'll go to Tulsa, Notre Dame was after him hard he may go D-IAA.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
      !?!?!?!?!?
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by DraftBoy
      Heard this was coming weeks ago....Dont know if he'll go to Tulsa, Notre Dame was after him hard he may go D-IAA.
      yea....you also sort of got the feeling once he got benched........with Casey Clausen heading over to Notre Dame i dont see him choosing to go there...if i am not mistaken the article said he was heading to Tulsa but then I heard on ESPNews he has not decided yet...he could go to D-1 subdivision (formerly D-1AA) for a year and then transfer or maybe he could go to Oklahoma where they may be in search for a QB...unless they have recruited someone...this definetly has grabbed the attention of college coaches across the country, this should be interesting

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BILLSROCK1212
        yea....you also sort of got the feeling once he got benched........with Casey Clausen heading over to Notre Dame i dont see him choosing to go there...if i am not mistaken the article said he was heading to Tulsa but then I heard on ESPNews he has not decided yet...he could go to D-1 subdivision (formerly D-1AA) for a year and then transfer or maybe he could go to Oklahoma where they may be in search for a QB...unless they have recruited someone...this definetly has grabbed the attention of college coaches across the country, this should be interesting

Jimmy Claussen not Casey
        COMING SOON...

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
          !?!?!?!?!?
          • Mar 2006

Jimmy Claussen not Casey
          yup srry thinking of his brother....dude i swear its driving me nuts with all of these Clausens' and now Simms and Mannings

I know one of the Simms is an All-American this year and I am pretty sure that there is another Manning who will be a freshman this year....draftboy can you fill me in as much as you can on these guys or tell me where I can find stuff on them?

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BILLSROCK1212
            yup srry thinking of his brother....dude i swear its driving me nuts with all of these Clausens' and now Simms and Mannings

I know one of the Simms is an All-American this year and I am pretty sure that there is another Manning who will be a freshman this year....draftboy can you fill me in as much as you can on these guys or tell me where I can find stuff on them?

Matt Simms-

There is no other Manning I can find, Cooper played WR for Ole Miss but had his career cut short due to a spinal condition.

Rivals.com is a great site for HS prospects
            COMING SOON...

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
              !?!?!?!?!?
              • Mar 2006

Matt Simms-

There is no other Manning I can find, Cooper played WR for Ole Miss but had his career cut short due to a spinal condition.

Rivals.com is a great site for HS prospects
              yea...i thouht you needed a membership for that...Cooper may be it but for some reason i remember hearing that another Manning was on the way and he was a QB....o well...thx for the info

Comment

Working...
              X