PDA

View Full Version : RFA Comp Levels in 2007...

Ickybaluky
01-17-2007, 03:05 PM
There were some changes with the New CBA, and this is the RFA tender amounts for the coming offseason:

* $850,000 - original draft pick compensation (a second-rounder if the player was a first-round pick)
* $1.3 million - second-round pick
* $1.85 million - first-round pick
* $2.35 million - first- and third-round picks

The 2nd-round pick level is new to this CBA, and the max comp of a 2nd rounder for the lowest-level tender is new as well.

Carlton Bailey
01-17-2007, 03:06 PM
So basically for those who want Mike Turner, including me, it's going to take a lot to get him here. At least a second-rounder, anyway.

Ickybaluky
01-17-2007, 03:19 PM
So basically for those who want Mike Turner, including me, it's going to take a lot to get him here. At least a second-rounder, anyway.

I'm give it a better than 50% chance the Chargers deal him, but I think they will ask for a first round pick in return. Thus, he will be tendered at that level or at a 1st and 3rd level (considering the Chargers are in good cap shape). I bet he gets traded for a 1st or multiple picks with equivalent to first round value.

Heck, if they tender him at a 1st round level, I'd be glad to see the Pats sign him to a contract that is hard for the Chargers to match and team him with Maroney. I'd gladly give a low-1st for the guy, because I think he has the talent to be a feature RB.

That is pretty unlikely, but I bet some team steps up and gives the Chargers good value for him.

mysticsoto
01-17-2007, 03:31 PM
I'm give it a better than 50% chance the Chargers deal him, but I think they will ask for a first round pick in return. Thus, he will be tendered at that level or at a 1st and 3rd level (considering the Chargers are in good cap shape). I bet he gets traded for a 1st or multiple picks with equivalent to first round value.

Heck, if they tender him at a 1st round level, I'd be glad to see the Pats sign him to a contract that is hard for the Chargers to match and team him with Maroney. I'd gladly give a low-1st for the guy, because I think he has the talent to be a feature RB.

That is pretty unlikely, but I bet some team steps up and gives the Chargers good value for him.

There is no way your Patriots should even consider doing that. Maroney was obtained last year with their 1st rounder and along with Dillon has done just fine. You need help with CB/S and/or WR.

I like Turner myself, but I would not spend anything more than a 2nd rd on him. As many around here have said, RBs are a dime a dozen and next year there is going to be a glut of RBs in the draft. If I'm Marv, I let Willis run this year, knowing that he's going to work his a$$ off to get a high contract next year, and I bring in an elite 1st rd RB next year to our team. In the meantime, I try and close as many holes as I can during the offseason and with the draft realizing that next year, my 1st will go to a RB...

kernowboy
01-17-2007, 05:27 PM
I predict a load of disgruntled players.

With most teams in reasonable cap shape, they can afford to tender the minimum to get draft compensation and if teams aren't prepared to give up such high picks then I wonder if we could see players being disgruntled and even trying to get themselves cut to move on for bigger pay deals

If you get tendered $2.35m when you were after $4m+ you are not going to be best pleased!!

jamze132
01-18-2007, 09:41 AM
Say for instance that aplayer we want is tendered at the 1st and 3rd round amount, does that mean if we sign that player, we lose our 1st and 3rd round draft picks? Someone please clarify this for me since I don't know of too many players that are worth that.

Ickybaluky
01-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Say for instance that aplayer we want is tendered at the 1st and 3rd round amount, does that mean if we sign that player, we lose our 1st and 3rd round draft picks? Someone please clarify this for me since I don't know of too many players that are worth that.

Yes, if the contract is not matched and the player is awarded to the team that signed him to an offer sheet, the compensation provided by the team signing him is as outlined below based on the tender offer.