PDA

View Full Version : Getting our Hopes up

patmoran2006
01-17-2007, 09:39 PM
I remember right around a year or so ago at this time when discussions got real heated regarding free agency.

With the cap increase last year the Bills were in excellent cap shape.. I remember the names getting thrown around like crazy (including me) guys like Bentley, Schaffer, Pickett, Runyan, Javon Walker, Stephen Neal, Hutchinson, etc etc.

we ended up signing an abundance of bargain free agents.

This year we're already throwing out Briggs, June, Samuel, Steinbach, Dielman, Freeney, etc.

I dont think Wilson is going to throw money around for big names anymore.

That's not to say Marv won't pluck some good free agents this time around (he was lousy last year)-- Just saying I highly doubt if we sign ANY of the names previously mentioned.

TigerJ
01-17-2007, 10:04 PM
I don't necessarily disagree with you about Buffalo signing big name free agents, but last year Buffalo was only in modestly good shape with respect to the cap, somewhere in the middle of the pack as far as cap room was concerned. This year, Buffalo ranks second in the league in cap room.

That said, I think Buffalo's approach to free agency may be due more to team philosophy than the availability of cap space. Last season they signed guys who were relatively young, had athletic upside, and appeared to be solid role players rather than established, and expensive stars. I think that there is an uncomfortable risk that when you sign a big star in free agency, it may be a falling star that you end up catching, guys like Lawyer Milloy who provided some production for the Bills but never really justified the hype that surrounded his arrival. Takeo Spikes was an exception for the Bills, but I think even with Takeo, we hoped for more than we actually got. If you sign young role players instead of stars, there is always a chance they will develop into stars, but if they don't, and if they even fail to live up to your minimum hopes, you haven't lost that big an investment. You can cut your losses and move on. That may be the philosophy under which Levy is operating.

X-Era
01-17-2007, 10:07 PM
I remember right around a year or so ago at this time when discussions got real heated regarding free agency.

With the cap increase last year the Bills were in excellent cap shape.. I remember the names getting thrown around like crazy (including me) guys like Bentley, Schaffer, Pickett, Runyan, Javon Walker, Stephen Neal, Hutchinson, etc etc.

This year we're already throwing out Briggs, June, Samuel, Steinbach, Dielman, Freeney, etc.

That's not to say Marv won't pluck some good free agents this time around (he was lousy last year)-- Just saying I highly doubt if we sign ANY of the names previously mentioned. I agree, but then you can lay the blame for our fotunes SOLELY at the feet of Ralph. He was the guy who said we just didnt have good enough talent, HE WAS. That was HIS comment after our last game. Put up or shut up. No, put up or STFU!!! Sell your damn team if you dont want to spend what the rest of the NFL is, sell the team to a winner like Golisano. But sign the guys that we need or have the shriveled nards to come out and say that you wont spend the money needed to make us a playoff team.

kernowboy
01-18-2007, 06:25 AM

That's not to say Marv won't pluck some good free agents this time around (he was lousy last year)-- Just saying I highly doubt if we sign ANY of the names previously mentioned.

I think we were close to Pickett.

This year I think Dielman is the most realistic. I think we will look at players like Boss Bailey as well in the LB - youngish players still with upside. We may also look at some of the RFAs who may at some point be cut loose.

I would rather rely on the judgement of Marv and Dick rather than go after banner names who will cost a load and may not deliver on their inflated price.

DraftBoy
01-18-2007, 06:58 AM
Ricky Manning Jr-SIGNED THROUGH 2010
Dielman
Boss Bailey
EJ Henderson-RE-SIGNED in DECEMBER

Those are the realistic names, Im throwing out there as guys Id like us to look at

kernowboy
01-18-2007, 07:03 AM
Ricky Manning Jr
Dielman
Boss Bailey
EJ Henderson

Those are the realistic names, Im throwing out there as guys Id like us to look at

Henderson has gone signing a $25m/5year deal with the Vikes. I like Bailey and Dielman and hope that maybe a RFA like Caleb Miller might get cut loose if they are unhappy with the offer they are made

DraftBoy
01-18-2007, 07:08 AM
Henderson has gone signing a $25m/5year deal with the Vikes. I like Bailey and Dielman and hope that maybe a RFA like Caleb Miller might get cut loose if they are unhappy with the offer they are made

Didnt see Henderson signed, when did that happen?

kernowboy
01-18-2007, 07:10 AM
Didnt see Henderson signed, when did that happen?

According to TSN he re-signed on 15 Dec

DraftBoy
01-18-2007, 07:22 AM
According to TSN he re-signed on 15 Dec

huh, missed it, thx!

don137
01-18-2007, 07:28 AM
Rick Manning Jr. was signed as a RFA from the Panthers last year by the Bears. I am not sure how many years but it was a multi-year deal for outrageous money since he is no better than a nickel back in this league that had a great NFC Championship game 2 years ago and his reputation is now better than his actual ability

DraftBoy
01-18-2007, 07:34 AM
Rick Manning Jr. was signed as a RFA from the Panthers last year by the Bears. I am not sure how many years but it was a multi-year deal for outrageous money since he is no better than a nickel back in this league that had a great NFC Championship game 2 years ago and his reputation is now better than his actual ability

He is listed as a FA, but I could of sworn to the same thing also...hmm lemme check NFLPA.

DraftBoy
01-18-2007, 07:36 AM
Yea just checked he's signed through 2010, why do sights have him listed as an FA? Weird

Philagape
01-18-2007, 09:51 AM
We signed a bunch of mid-level guys last year because we were installing new systems on both sides of the ball and had many holes to fill. We needed quantity over quality. Not so much this year, so hopefully that philosophy will change. We can start upgrading positions instead of plugging holes.

Saratoga Slim
01-18-2007, 10:16 AM
We signed a bunch of mid-level guys last year because we were installing new systems on both sides of the ball and had many holes to fill. We needed quantity over quality. Not so much this year, so hopefully that philosophy will change. We can start upgrading positions instead of plugging holes.

Good post, I think you very well may be right. Plus, Ralph has made some comments that he's happy with the coaching staff and front office, but thinks that now we need to bring in more talent on the field. I've got to believe he knows that means spending some money.

I don't think we're going to come home with a whole armful of big name talents in FA, but I think its realistic to think we get either one big name or two second tier guys (Dielman etc), as well as some more depth players.

Saratoga Slim
01-18-2007, 10:17 AM
I heard yesterday on SIRIUS that Ravens are likely to franchise Adalius Thomas if they can't agree on a contract.

ShadowHawk7
01-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Damn, Pickett would of been great.

gil
01-18-2007, 08:15 PM
At this point, I would have to believe that Ralph knows he has to spend some money this year.

He's a businessman, and he saw the attendance struggles at the end of the year - yes, to the hard-core fan (what some might call homers) there is a level of excitement about next year, but to the rest of the fan base, they're tired of what's gone on with the team - lack of playoffs, etc., IMO.

That's not to say Ralph will go nuts in spending, but even he has to realize there has to be some buzz generated beyond the draft and through FA - if not...ugh, I don't even want to think about if not...

DraftBoy
01-19-2007, 07:18 AM
Three Realistic Names:
Diehlman
Bailey
Sands