PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo needs another wideout to aid Losman, Evans

The_Philster
01-18-2007, 04:19 AM
<ACRONYM title="Buffalo Bills News">Buffalo Bills</ACRONYM> starting quarterback J.P. Losman completed 268 passes for 3,051 yards and 19 touchdowns in 16 games this past season. Out of those 268 completions, an impressive 82 went to No. 1 receiver Lee Evans, with eight being end-zone completions. Even more eye-opening was the wideout's 1,292 yards.
In terms of percentages, Evans was on the receiving end of 3.6 of every 10 completions from Losman. Meanwhile, for every 100 yards passed for by Losman, 42 were to Evans. The same rate holds true for TDs from Losman to Evans, with eight of the QB's 19 equaling 42 percent. more (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/01/bills-another-wideout180107.html)

Yasgur's Farm
01-18-2007, 06:14 AM
Thanks Phil... Hello Dwayne Jarrett!

kernowboy
01-18-2007, 06:31 AM
There is not much use in having a glamourous No2 if

a) the defence cannot get the opposing team off the field
b) the offence cannot protect the passer or create lanes for the run

These are what we need to focus on.

Almost without exception every draft has top college WRs in it. This is a nice requirement but most definitely not a need.

When we consider what is currently available in FA at DT, LB and OL, it is likely we will need to look at this in the draft. There are better pickings for a No2 WR in Free Agency. I am not familiar with Mike Furrey but he does sound intriguing a Troy Brown in reverse?

Carlton Bailey
01-18-2007, 06:51 AM
I like the idea of Kevin Curtis. I recall him being impressive two years ago with Fairchild calling the plays.

TacklingDummy
01-18-2007, 07:08 AM
Maybe if Losman looked at someone else besides Evans the #2-3 WR would get more catches.

kernowboy
01-18-2007, 07:12 AM
Maybe if Losman looked at someone else besides Evans the #2-3 WR would get more catches.

You mean like Holcomb in 2005! I think you'll find Losman spreads it around better than most QBs - he was certainly far better than this than Holcomb in 2005

Dr. Lecter
01-18-2007, 07:23 AM

He did, especially in the 2nd half of the season. I watched him go through his progression of reads.

Carlton Bailey
01-18-2007, 08:15 AM
Losman's top 3:

Evans - 82 catches

Price - 49

Reed - 34

Compare to Tom Brady's top 3:

Caldwell - 61

Watson - 49

Brown - 43

*I'd say JP spreads it around just fine.

Lee-83
01-18-2007, 08:17 AM
so true

Lee-83
01-18-2007, 08:27 AM
Some Other FA Wide Outs

Drew Bennett, UFA, Tennessee Titans
Kevin Curtis, UFA, St. Louis Rams
Patrick Crayton, RFA, Dallas Cowboys
Bobby Wade UFA Tennessee Titans
Samie Parker, RFA, Kansas City Chiefs
Peter Warrick, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
Ernest Wilford, RFA, Jacksonville Jaguars

STAMPY
01-18-2007, 08:30 AM
1. Wilford
2. Curtis
3. Bennett

my order. i like wilford for his size

gil
01-18-2007, 08:45 AM
I'd like to see us look at one of the FA's out there, but as far as drafting a WR early, there are other needs on the lines.

I think you can find a bigger "possesion" type guy in later rounds - I'm not saying we'll find a guy with his talent, but I believe Houshmanzadah (sp?) was a second-day pick, and Colston, while not the prototype WR we're looking for, was a 7th rounder.

Marv & Co. did a nice job this year finding promising defensive players in later rounds, let's hope they can do the same this year with WR, RB and maybe TE.

RockStar36
01-18-2007, 08:46 AM
Didn't they sign Peerless to a 4 year deal last off-season?

If that is the case, there is no need to draft another WR or sign another in FA. Peerless is decent #2 WR. Everyone is making a big deal about JP going to Evans the majority of the time, but don't all QB's look at their #1 WR the majority of the time.

WR shouldn't be an issue during the off-season.

Saratoga Slim
01-18-2007, 08:48 AM
Curtis would give us yet another short speedster. I like him, but I'm not sure he'd add much to our arsenal.

TacklingDummy
01-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Andre Davis added speed to the wideout position. How many passes did he catch this year?

RockStar36
The Bills don't need another short speedster!!!!!!

RockStar36
Andre Davis added speed to the wideout position. How many passes did he catch this year?

I don't know many #5 WR's that produce alot in the passing game. He made his mark on special teams.

TacklingDummy
01-18-2007, 08:53 AM
I don't know many #5 WR's that produce alot in the passing game. He made his mark on special teams.

The point being, Im tired of signing scrubs like Davis, Price, Reed...... all that money could have been spent on one WR that was good. Example: TO :evil:

Dr. Lecter
01-18-2007, 08:54 AM
Price and Reed are not scrubs.

TacklingDummy
01-18-2007, 08:56 AM
Price and Reed are not scrubs.

Uh huh, just cause they are Buffalo Bills. Get your blinders off. They both blow.

Saratoga Slim
01-18-2007, 08:56 AM
Didn't they sign Peerless to a 4 year deal last off-season?

If that is the case, there is no need to draft another WR or sign another in FA. Peerless is decent #2 WR. Everyone is making a big deal about JP going to Evans the majority of the time, but don't all QB's look at their #1 WR the majority of the time.

WR shouldn't be an issue during the off-season.

I don't see it being a big problem that JP looks to Evans about 1/3 of the time. Evans is usually going to be his first read, and if the guy's open....

WR is like my 4th or 5th priority in the draft. We'd be well served by an upgrade, but I don't think we're weak there. I want our big FA signings and top draft picks to address areas of true need.

If we've dealt with DT, MLB, Clements' CB spot, and RG, then I'll be psyched if we grab a pass-catching TE or 2nd WR.

Plus, I get the feeling from OBD that they think they have a pretty talented group of WRs.

mysticsoto
01-18-2007, 08:58 AM
We should also remember that Wilson is coming off the practice squad now, and last year (and the year before) he was catching everything like his hands were flypaper. Why he wasn't in the lineup I don't know - perhaps his route running needed work. In any case, we also have Chris Denney over in Europe now getting more experience. All indications are that the FO likes him and he has decent size/speed combination. I have a feeling there is already going to be a huge fight for those spots at WR. It may be that it is the position we have most depth with!

Philagape
01-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Improve the line and the running game, and the whole offense will look better.

ShadowHawk7
01-18-2007, 07:30 PM
I would definitley take a flyer on Furrey. The blue-collar player on a serious rise, that won't demand too much compared to other WRs with 98+ catches in recent seasons.

Ingtar33
01-18-2007, 08:21 PM
welcome to the matt millen school of General Managing.

Surround the QB with skilled players and avoid spending draft picks on yuor o-line.

we've absolutely neglected the o-line for so long this feels like a broken reacord that started back when TD came to buffalo. we have a team that just barely misses the playoffs (or has a miserable season), with game after game the o-line ruining our running game/passing attack, and everyone and their brother complaining about the condition of the line. then the draft rolls around and those same people start calling for a WR/RB/TE.

No thank you.

The tank is so empty on the OL i wouldn't mind the whole draft being dedicated to it.

ParanoidAndroid
01-18-2007, 08:35 PM
I don't doubt that Fairchild would like a #1b receiver like he had in STL. Whether he gets his man this year or not is the question.

ParanoidAndroid
01-18-2007, 08:38 PM
We have new scouts, right? TD's crew didn't have a very good eye for O-line talent at all. He made picks, it's just that they all sucked.

The_Philster
01-18-2007, 09:11 PM
He did, especially in the 2nd half of the season. I watched him go through his progression of reads.Now come on :cynic: Don't actually watch and understand the game...look at TDummy...he doesn't do either...and look at him

Kerr
01-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Drew Bennet, otherwise look for one in the draft.

kernowboy
01-20-2007, 07:57 AM
welcome to the matt millen school of General Managing.

Surround the QB with skilled players and avoid spending draft picks on yuor o-line.

we've absolutely neglected the o-line for so long this feels like a broken reacord that started back when TD came to buffalo. we have a team that just barely misses the playoffs (or has a miserable season), with game after game the o-line ruining our running game/passing attack, and everyone and their brother complaining about the condition of the line. then the draft rolls around and those same people start calling for a WR/RB/TE.

No thank you.

The tank is so empty on the OL i wouldn't mind the whole draft being dedicated to it.

I disagree about the OL

LT Peters - nuff said
LG Gandy - more than adequate
C Fowler - not sure where the hate is coming from, not the best but OK
RG ................
RT Pennington - at present more seasoning in pre-season and we'd be ok

plus depth at center with Preston who is at the worst adequate, Merz who could come along nicely and Butler who with some weight could challenge Terrance.

Add a RG and there are a few in FA (Diehl, Dockery, Dielman and Manuwai) and OL becomes a R3 issue at best particularly as there is depth in the draft here and one or two great young players had poor senior seasons and will slide like Doug Free. With a pre-season of togetherness the line will be up there as one of the better ones. I mean the oldest guy is only 28.

I think with the likely departures of a starting CB, at least one starting LB (and maybe two if TKO is cut) and need to get a 1-tackle to stop the run, I see this being a defence minded draft. Even if we drop down in R1 I could see us going LB, DT, OL, and DE with the extra pick if Hargrove or Kelsay don't resign, then CB, a possible 2nd LB and a WR. Whilst there are options for these positions if FA, there is a significant fall off after the top 2 or 3 at each position who are either going to be hugely overpriced or be tagged costing draft picks.

Unfortunately this year is shaping up as one of the poorer FAs with the increase of the salary cap allowing most teams to get their more promising players who'd make fine additions in Buffalo under contract.

I say we do defence in the 2007 draft and then look at RB and WR on Day1 in 2008 ... with the aim of being in the Championship game in January 2009

ShadowHawk7
01-20-2007, 12:17 PM
We should also remember that Wilson is coming off the practice squad now, and last year (and the year before) he was catching everything like his hands were flypaper. Why he wasn't in the lineup I don't know - perhaps his route running needed work. In any case, we also have Chris Denney over in Europe now getting more experience. All indications are that the FO likes him and he has decent size/speed combination. I have a feeling there is already going to be a huge fight for those spots at WR. It may be that it is the position we have most depth with!
Good post. It seems like there is ALWAYS a huge fight at the position. At the end, real talent especially like Wilson, Nance, or even Haddad get screwed over by basically punt gunners like Aiken and Davis. I say that needs to end and we should definitely get Wilson on the field, he's earned it.

TigerJ
01-20-2007, 04:04 PM
It's possible Buffalo looks for a number 2 WR this offseason. If they do, I can't imagine it will be another small guy in spite or Steve Fairchild's perceived preference for short guys. I don't see much point in getting another "value" free agent or day two draft pick though. Maybe they would have interest in Furrey. He's at least six foot. I wouldn't be surprised if they stood pat except for their token undrafted free agent.