PDA

View Full Version : You know what would make our OLines run blocking better?

Tatonka
01-18-2007, 12:16 PM
an elite running back.

when is the last time san diego had bad run blocking? not since LT has been there, because even when the blocking was bad, he got his yards. great players overcome having a bad guard in front of them.

we need an LT. a dominant back. not just an above average (against the jets) running back.

did anyone notice how the line looked better at times when Atrain was in there. because he didnt dance.

the more and more i think about it.. the more and more i want peterson, lynch, or bush. I think those three are your game breaker runningbacks.

i would not be opposed to grabbing a guy like booker either later on and keeping willis one more year to let him earn his payday, because there are also some good options at RB next year too if booker doesnt work out.

I am not saying to neglect the line.. but honestly, i would be happy with retaining Gandy on the Left side.. leaving just the Right gaurd to be addressed. it would actually be nice to see some continuity on the line for just ONE offseason.

Mahdi
01-18-2007, 01:39 PM
an elite running back.

when is the last time san diego had bad run blocking? not since LT has been there, because even when the blocking was bad, he got his yards. great players overcome having a bad guard in front of them.

we need an LT. a dominant back. not just an above average (against the jets) running back.

did anyone notice how the line looked better at times when Atrain was in there. because he didnt dance.

the more and more i think about it.. the more and more i want peterson, lynch, or bush. I think those three are your game breaker runningbacks.

i would not be opposed to grabbing a guy like booker either later on and keeping willis one more year to let him earn his payday, because there are also some good options at RB next year too if booker doesnt work out.

I am not saying to neglect the line.. but honestly, i would be happy with retaining Gandy on the Left side.. leaving just the Right gaurd to be addressed. it would actually be nice to see some continuity on the line for just ONE offseason.
I agree.... but assuming we get someone like Steinbach or Dielman who are both LGs, who moves? I would love to see a left side of Peters and Stein myself, and move Gandy to the right side beside Pennington to help him out with pass protection.

patmoran2006
01-18-2007, 01:50 PM
I wanted to give Willis the benefit of the doubt but at this point I agree with you.

Willis is nothing more than average/slighly above average. He's like say a Chester Taylor type. He'll put up some decent numbers but he's not going to win you any games.

Jets games aside what has this guy really done?

I think this is the year to get a RB for sure, ESPECIALLY given he's going into his final year and even if he came on he wouldnt be worth the headache Rosenhaus would provide.

Sucks too, because I really think Jarrett or Ginn would've been a great pick for us at the #12 spot until now.

Personally, I"d love to see Lynch in a Bills uniform.

Mahdi
01-18-2007, 02:27 PM
I would rather have Peterson.... his production speaks for itself and he has a nose for the endzone, the guy is a pure runner. But before that I would like to see Willis perform behind an improved run-blocking OL.

Tatonka
01-18-2007, 02:32 PM
i personally like bush more than lynch, based on potential. if bush was healthy this year (he had a broken leg), he would be competing with peterson for the top running back, no question.

the broken leg does not bother me, because it is not like a ligament that will linger. bones heal stronger than before.

the guy is diesel. big, fast, strong, good feet. good blocker from what i have read. and can catch, although louisville didnt throw him the ball a ton.

anyone have a highlight video site?

DraftBoy
01-18-2007, 02:59 PM
This link actually works really well;

http://www.nbaliveforums.com/sutra666969.php

the site I know seems odd but most of the players have highlight reels, except Bush

DraftBoy
01-18-2007, 02:59 PM
QB, RB, WR, and TE only on that link

Saratoga Slim
01-18-2007, 03:29 PM

If we can deal with CB and MLB through free agency, then I'm all for drafting a RB in the first round and trading McGahee. Two weeks ago I wouldn't have necessarily been so inclined, but his last round of idiotic comments has left me with no lingering desire to have him around. I'd love to have a more dynamic output from the RB position. Whoever in this post said McGahee is more or less a Chester Taylor was right: he's not a bad back and will get some decent yards, but he just hasn't shown that he's a game changer.

McGahee/Petersen, McGahee/Lynch, McGahee/Bush, or even Thomas/speedy rookie, would all be fantastic combos.

kernowboy
01-18-2007, 04:58 PM
This is what

a) the line to practice together all off season and pre-season. the only two positions open are definitely RG and maybe RT where Pennington could face competition if Butler bulks up. If we sign a RG, or go with Preston or even Merz, we stick with them, play them and let them grow as a line.

b) a better aerial attack. Teams play the run as we have not been able to hurt them through the air. We get a better No2 or a number 2 TE. Teams are beginning to fear the Losman-Evans combo

c) I loath McGahee. But I think drafting at RB this year is premature. We sit down with McGahee and Rosenhaus - we don't upgrade his contract but we say we won't tag him either (not transition nor franchise) .. at the moment he's not worth much either in a trade. Willis may be as stupid as a stick but even he'll get the idea of running in 2007 for a bumper contract in a town where he WANTS to play.

We need to use this draft to upgrade at NT, rejuvenate the LB, get depth at OL, consider a receiving TE or a No2 WR.

Considering 2008 is shaping up as one of the best RB drafts ever we could get better than Lynch and Bush even if we are in the 20s and with less needs we can use Day1 picks to move up.

Panicking and grabbing a RB with a bad pick won't get this team a ring.

SABURZFAN
01-18-2007, 05:10 PM
an elite running back.

i disagree.if we had a QB who threw some fear in the defenses,the running game would take care of itself.focusing on shutting down our running game is a priority because they know we have a QB that doesn't have what it takes to win.

kernowboy
01-18-2007, 05:27 PM
i disagree.if we had a QB who threw some fear in the defenses,the running game would take care of itself.focusing on shutting down our running game is a priority because they know we have a QB that doesn't have what it takes to win.

and next season when our current QB continues to grow, furthers his relationship with Evans and develops it more with Royal and Reed?

Mr. Cynical
01-18-2007, 06:28 PM
While I agree an elite RB can make an oline look good he really has to be *elite*, e.g., Barry Sanders never had a great oline but made his yards regardless.

However, since elite RBs are pretty rare, I'm still in the get the oline fixed camp. A solid oline can make average RBs look really good, and the same for QBs as well. IMO, the oline (as a unit) is the most important "player" on the field. Give any athelete at the pro level time to throw or holes to run through and your team will do well.

That said, I'm also all for getting McGarbage out of here. Trade him and get a pick, then draft another RB. Plenty of rookie RBs can contribute, e.g., Jones Drew, Maroney, Bush, etc.

Tatonka
01-18-2007, 06:42 PM
i disagree..

no surprise there.. but your opinion means so little and your posts have been so awful that i couldnt force myself to read the rest.

Tatonka
01-18-2007, 06:44 PM
While I agree an elite RB can make an oline look good he really has to be *elite*, e.g., Barry Sanders never had a great oline but made his yards regardless.

However, since elite RBs are pretty rare, I'm still in the get the oline fixed camp. A solid oline can make average RBs look really good, and the same for QBs as well. IMO, the oline (as a unit) is the most important "player" on the field. Give any athelete at the pro level time to throw or holes to run through and your team will do well.

That said, I'm also all for getting McGarbage out of here. Trade him and get a pick, then draft another RB. Plenty of rookie RBs can contribute, e.g., Jones Drew, Maroney, Bush, etc.

yeah, like i said, i am all for continuing to upgrade the oline.. but the, in your opinion, other that duke preston, what position would you upgrade? i know they want to bring gandy.. do you agree?

Mr. Cynical
01-18-2007, 06:54 PM
yeah, like i said, i am all for continuing to upgrade the oline.. but the, in your opinion, other that duke preston, what position would you upgrade? i know they want to bring gandy.. do you agree?

Honestly, and I know this is not practical in any way, shape or form, I would be looking for starters across the line. Not saying we would/could replace them all, but if there was an FA or draftee that was a stud at any position on the oline I would take him.

That said, C and RG are the utmost needs IMO. LT is the most critical on the oline and although Peters is serviceable, I still think we need a franchise guy at that position to help anchor that line. But, can't have everything, so if I had to choose I'd go C/RG first.

HHURRICANE
01-18-2007, 07:07 PM
I would rather have Peterson.... his production speaks for itself and he has a nose for the endzone, the guy is a pure runner. But before that I would like to see Willis perform behind an improved run-blocking OL.

If Peterson was there we would take him. He'll be gone before we see im.

HHURRICANE
01-18-2007, 07:15 PM

However, since elite RBs are pretty rare, I'm still in the get the oline fixed camp. A solid oline can make average RBs look really good, and the same for QBs as well.
That said, I'm also all for getting McGarbage out of here.

Great post. A great RB makes a bad team look okay. Great O-lines win championships. Thats the difference.

Tatonka
01-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Honestly, and I know this is not practical in any way, shape or form, I would be looking for starters across the line. Not saying we would/could replace them all, but if there was an FA or draftee that was a stud at any position on the oline I would take him.

That said, C and RG are the utmost needs IMO. LT is the most critical on the oline and although Peters is serviceable, I still think we need a franchise guy at that position to help anchor that line. But, can't have everything, so if I had to choose I'd go C/RG first.

um, peters performed incredibly well throughout the season, and especially being at LT for only half of that, midway through. are you kidding me? you want to replace the best player on our line?

Mr. Cynical
01-19-2007, 04:35 PM
um, peters performed incredibly well throughout the season, and especially being at LT for only half of that, midway through. are you kidding me? you want to replace the best player on our line?

Like I said, no current starter on this oline is "irreplaceable". That doesn't mean I'm gunning for him to get the axe. That means if a true stud is available (FA/draft) at any position on the oline, I would take him. Peters is the best on that line, yes, but this is the line helped pave the way for a 28th ranked offense. (there are other factors, yes) So to me that means improvement is needed. C and RG are the worst part of the oline so I would likely focus there first, but as I said, if a franchise LT were to come available, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger. I know that OBD isn't thinking that way but you asked for my opinion. :smile:

Mahdi
01-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Like I said, no current starter on this oline is "irreplaceable". That doesn't mean I'm gunning for him to get the axe. That means if a true stud is available (FA/draft) at any position on the oline, I would take him. Peters is the best on that line, yes, but this is the line helped pave the way for a 28th ranked offense. (there are other factors, yes) So to me that means improvement is needed. C and RG are the worst part of the oline so I would likely focus there first, but as I said, if a franchise LT were to come available, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger. I know that OBD isn't thinking that way but you asked for my opinion. :smile:
Peter is Irreplaceable. He was one of the best OT in the NFL last year in the last 8 games at LT. 2 sacks allowed all year, not many OTs can claim that. He moves amazingly well and was a force in run blocking. Peters barring injury is an up and coming version of Walter Jones. In fact theres no OT in the league that I would take right now over Peters since he is still young on top of that.

Mr. Cynical
01-19-2007, 05:04 PM
He was one of the best OT in the NFL last year in the last 8 games at LT.

If that's the case he would have had more buzz for getting a pro bowl nomination. Granted, the pro bowl is partly a popularity contest, but at the same time dominant players will get recognized regardless. If he truly was "one of the best OT in the NFL" I think he would have been nominated. JMO.

Mahdi
01-19-2007, 05:43 PM
Peters had no chance of getting nominated he plays for Buffalo for one who have been known for poor OL play. Second, it IS a popularity contest, guys like Ogden, Levi Jones and Tariq Glenn are known names around the NFL, Peters isnt. The point is, his play is equivalent to theirs if not very close. So considering his age I would take him over anyone else seeing how he will only get better. Plus his contract is not too expensive either.

Mr. Cynical
01-20-2007, 03:15 AM
Peters had no chance of getting nominated he plays for Buffalo for one who have been known for poor OL play.

Schobel made it and our defensive line isn't known for being very good either. My point is, I like him but I don't think he is irreplaceable. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one and move on.

kernowboy
01-20-2007, 04:53 AM
Peters is not at a probowl level yet but is generally accepted to be one of the rising stars at LT in the league.

Gandy is now playing in his natural position and will continue to do well. I hope we resign as he is no longer the turnstyle he was at LT

I am surprised at all the criticism Fowler got. Whilst not elite and undersized he did a decent job. Kent Hull wasn't that big and I feel that the relationship a center has with his QB is as important as has stout he is. As long as he doesn't give up too much ...

Pennington did ok at RT for a R7a pick. Agile enough he will only get better with improvement and though I'm not sure about his feet, he could also be adequate cover for Peters if Jason got injured

the only real question is RG. With Villarial almost certainly gone, inhouse we have three options. Preston has been adequate, but I would prefer him to be a true backup at center and maybe a future larger alternative to Fowler. Merz was more than adequate in his start. I think the only reason he didn't start more was that McNally didn't want two rookies lining up on the right. He could easily be an Adam Timmerman for us. The third option might be moving Pennington inside, if Butler has bulked up in the off and preseason and can play RT.

I think all this doom and gloom is unnecessary about the OL. No one player is over 28 so it is a young line. 4 of the players had to come to terms with new positions after the bye week but there was a marked improvement

We are never going to have a line of 100% superstars in all 5 positions, but I think we have 7 players most teams would not say no to already. And even though Butler's progress has been comparatively slow, I reckon if any team was told you can have a R5, R7a and R7b or you can have Butler, Pennington and Merz as potential future players and depth, every single GM and HC would jump at the latter option.

HHURRICANE
01-20-2007, 09:37 AM
Peter is Irreplaceable. He was one of the best OT in the NFL last year in the last 8 games at LT. 2 sacks allowed all year, not many OTs can claim that. He moves amazingly well and was a force in run blocking. Peters barring injury is an up and coming version of Walter Jones. In fact theres no OT in the league that I would take right now over Peters since he is still young on top of that.

I'm 100% with you here. Peters is the best player on our team. PERIOD. The guy didn't make a Pro-Bowl because it was his first year as a starter at Tackle and than he was moved to the left side mid-way. Wait til he has a full season just playing left. He's an amazing athlete.

Night Train
01-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Tatonka makes a good point. When you have a RB who hits the line with authority, the perception of the overall quality of the line is far better.

I do hope we find another RB this off-season. A-Train is too slow, in addition to the Willis headaches. I also believe we do need a serious upgrade at both Guard positions. The combo of another viable RB and better Guards should make a big difference.