PDA

View Full Version : If we want to we still could have a shot at Fletcher

BILLSROCK1212
01-18-2007, 10:03 PM
SMITH DEAL IMPACTS FLETCHER: Jacksonville LB Daryl Smith just signed a five-year extension with the Jaguars Thursday. It's reportedly worth $25 million and includes $10 million in bonuses. If Fletcher was hoping to get more than that he might be out of luck. Smith moved to MLB this season after the season-ending injury to Mike Peterson, and it's believed he will remain in the middle and that Peterson will move to the weak side next season. Smith finished with 170 tackles this past season (Fletcher had 157) and he's averaged 144 tackles the past two seasons. He's also just 24 years old. Fletcher will be 32 next season. If Fletcher hits the open market a lot of teams will use Smith's better tackle stats, younger age and subsequent contract figures against him if he asks for more money than Smith got. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it will probably happen. Fletcher is also not likely to get a five-year deal anywhere.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

OpIv37
01-18-2007, 10:10 PM
I just don't see Marv paying that much for a player that old on a team that's still rebuilding.

Plus, Fletcher insinuated that he wanted out.

Plus, if we offer him a contract that's less or comparable to Smith, someone could still outbid us if they had the cap room to overpay.

BILLSROCK1212
01-18-2007, 10:12 PM
I just don't see Marv paying that much for a player that old on a team that's still rebuilding.

Plus, Fletcher insinuated that he wanted out.

Plus, if we offer him a contract that's less or comparable to Smith, someone could still outbid us if they had the cap room to overpay.to pay more than the Jags payed for Smith would be crazy!!!!

OpIv37
01-18-2007, 10:22 PM
to pay more than the Jags payed for Smith would be crazy!!!!

never underestimate the insanity of Dan Snyder.

Tatonka
01-18-2007, 10:45 PM
i really dont think he is the right player for this defense.

if they want to resign him to a 2 year deal, i could live with that, but i cant see him accepting that.

i think he is pissed though that the team made no attempt to resign him.. and i think the team made no attempt for a reason.. so

bye fletch.

Forward_Lateral
01-19-2007, 07:05 AM
Daryl Smith did not have 170 tackles. He had 88 total tackles. He hasn't avg'd 144 tackles, he's totaled 81 and 88, which is about an avg of 84.5.

Whoever wrote that, needs to find a better source for stats.

DynaPaul
01-19-2007, 05:39 PM
I think Fletch would be good to keep as a depth LB. Let one of the young ones start.

camelcowboy
01-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Daryl Smith did not have 170 tackles. He had 88 total tackles. He hasn't avg'd 144 tackles, he's totaled 81 and 88, which is about an avg of 84.5.

Whoever wrote that, needs to find a better source for stats.

If you can find a good source for tackles by all means, i don't think its a nfl stat. 170 could be including assists. who knows.

kernowboy
01-20-2007, 06:50 AM
I think Fletch would be good to keep as a depth LB. Let one of the young ones start.

Unfortunately Fletch won't re sign simply to be depth and he'd be a very expensive back up

mybills
01-20-2007, 07:08 AM
i really dont think he is the right player for this defense.

See, that depends on how you look at it. Most of his tackles are past 5yds, while his ability to make turnovers is much better. I love seeing him pick off a QB, and recovering the fumble in the 1st play of the 1st game against NE..priceless!

I'll miss him if he goes, but I hope he sticks around a bit longer, because 07 is looking promising.

jpdex12
01-20-2007, 07:24 AM
No point in mulling it over fellas....Fletcher is gone for greener pastures!

Forward_Lateral
01-20-2007, 08:15 PM
If you can find a good source for tackles by all means, i don't think its a nfl stat. 170 could be including assists. who knows.

The most I've seen him (Smith) have was on Baltimore's official site and it was 110 or something like that. Nowhere near 170 that the moron in the above article says. It irritates me that people just make up random crap, post it, pass it as an article and get away with it. Get your ***** facts straight, or don't write at all.

:offrant:

HHURRICANE
01-20-2007, 10:19 PM
I don't think OBD wants a "shot at Fletcher". Clements yes, Fletcher no. We can do alot better.

BILLSROCK1212
01-21-2007, 01:07 PM
The most I've seen him (Smith) have was on Baltimore's official site and it was 110 or something like that. Nowhere near 170 that the moron in the above article says. It irritates me that people just make up random crap, post it, pass it as an article and get away with it. Get your ***** facts straight, or don't write at all.

:offrant:his name is Chris Brown

patmoran2006
01-21-2007, 01:34 PM
Now I'm not saying we will sign Fletch (I dont think we will), but I think you guys are CRAZY for underestimating his value to this defense.

The complaint is he doesnt make enough tackles behind the line of scrimmage. Well duh, of course he doesn't. That's because our DT's are so weak that linemen can get right out and attack him--our DT's dont take up these blockers.

This guy makes big plays. He had four picks last year- scored two defensive TD's, was the best player on the defense (again) and didnt look he was slowing down one tiny bit.

If it can be done even semi-reasonably, I really hope Marv gets him back.. It's one less position we'd have to worry about. And with Crowell healthy again, we have a hell of a LB corp that could be among the league's best if TKO gets closer to old form.