• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Could Spikes Be Our MLB Next Year ?

I haven't any idea what the Bills are thinking. Just tossing this out for discussion. Could Spikes be moved to the middle ?

As we all saw, when Tenny and Baltimore tried running directly at him in the last 2 games, he tossed his blockers aside and made a lot of tackles. That was indeed encouraging, since most of his season had been one of nagging injuries and subpar play. His lateral movement on sweeps wasn't good. Inside, that isn't an issue.

Outside, we could go with Crowell and Ellison, who both have top flight speed and youth on their side. Plus they can still cover well in the short zone, when the Cover 2 D calls for it.

I'm thinking Spikes could be a good MLB and not be exposed for his shortened lack of range, due to the injury. He still has the power but not the lateral movement, needed for the outside. Plus on 3rd and 5+ ( passing downs ), he'd probably come off for a DB.

I don't think he'd get pushed aside straight up nearly as much as Fletcher did. Physically stronger guy, especially if we find a bigger 1 gap DT to play in front of him. I think this would now be his best bet at helping us. I want speed on the outside with Crowell and Ellison, with power in the middle. Plus, it would remove LB as a so-called Need and let us concentrate on other positions.

Thoughts ?
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • Talk0fNewYork
    ~ I Can't Feel My Face ~
    • Jan 2007

Re: Could Spikes Be Our MLB Next Year ?

Crowell will be there be4 spikes.

Comment

• Jeff1220
      H to the 12:20
      • Jul 2002

I have read that the Bills want to get bigger at MLB. According to BB.com's roster, Crowell is certainly taller than LF-B, but not bigger (Crowell - 6'1" 235/LFB - 5'10" 245). Spikes, on the other hand is about the same weight and taller than LFB at 6'2" 242. I don't know if this tells us anything, but given if size argument tells us something, Spikes would be the guy.

Comment

• mysticsoto
        Too sober for this...
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Jeff1220
        I have read that the Bills want to get bigger at MLB. According to BB.com's roster, Crowell is certainly taller than LF-B, but not bigger (Crowell - 6'1" 235/LFB - 5'10" 245). Spikes, on the other hand is about the same weight and taller than LFB at 6'2" 242. I don't know if this tells us anything, but given if size argument tells us something, Spikes would be the guy.
        Spikes is also clearly the strongest LB we have by far. It is just a question of how will his mobility fair and whether he can recover from his injury...I would still get a good backup in the 3rd/4th rd for MLB to ensure that if he goes down again or just can't cut it anymore, we have a decent backup to take over. This draft is LB heavy, so an end of 1st day/early 2nd day draft would still probably be pretty good.

Of course, FA has some good names too, and I'd probably prefer that route...

Comment

• madness
          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Talk0fNewYork
          Crowell will be there be4 spikes.
          That is correct, Crowell will be our MLB next year. He was London's backup and was also tutored by London on how to run a defense. He also fits the mold coaches like Lovie Smith talked about in a two-gap defense.

"An offense will tend to make a mistake," Lovie says. "We were aggressive in our approach, but not necessarily in our style. With Tony I found out: Let them beat you. They'll probably end up beating themselves."
          Smith runs a 4-3, two-gap defense. Instead of charging into a predetermined gap, his front-seven players must read the play on the run and react accordingly. It's a beautifully uncomplicated scheme, heavy on zone coverage (mostly what is now known as the Tampa Cover 2) and shy on shifting and blitzing (though Smith does admit to blitzing a bit more than Dungy).
          When run properly, the Dungy/Kiffin/Smith scheme is flexible, able to withstand a variety of attacks. "I think the Rams' offense made teams look at something like this," Smith says. "This is a simple approach. Formations don't hurt us as much as they do others."
          The critical ingredient is speed. Every NFL team hunts for fast defensive backs. Dungy and Smith covet speedy defensive linemen and linebackers, too.
          "We didn't want 250-pound linebackers," Smith says. "Our guys were 225-230 pounds, but they had running-back-type speed. Linebackers have to cover Marshall Faulk and Warrick Dunn. You can't do that at 250."
          The Rams' team speed creates all sorts of problems for opponents. "It's the angles," Saints offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy says. "You've got to make sure you're not getting into bad angles. And you have to deal with the angles they force on you."

Comment

• Night Train
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by madness
            That is correct, Crowell will be our MLB next year. He was London's backup and was also tutored by London on how to run a defense. He also fits the mold coaches like Lovie Smith talked about in a two-gap defense.
            Fair enough. Although Crowell is about 15-20 lbs. short of ideal for the middle. Hmmm...

Can Spikes then return to form on the outside ? Will this improve our Run D enough, along with a bigger DT at the 1 Gap position ?
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• madness
              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Night Train
              Fair enough. Although Crowell is about 15-20 lbs. short of ideal for the middle. Hmmm...

Can Spikes then return to form on the outside ? Will this improve our Run D enough, along with a bigger DT at the 1 Gap position ?
              For Spikes, you will have to look no further then the last game of the season. He led the team in tackles and started to look like his former self. Factor in his offseason work ethic and we should have good feel if he's back by preseason.

A healthy Spikes, and a quicker, younger MLB should be meeting next year's RB's at the line instead of 5-10 yards down field. Should Marv and co. look to upgrade Ellison in FA? Definitely, since you should always look to improve every position if possible. If Ellison puts on about 10 lbs. of muscle, he could have Marv. looking for depth instead of a starter.

We don't need a bigger DT as much as we need to upgrade Anderson immediately. If we can do both at the same time even better.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                • Mar 2005

For Spikes, you will have to look no further then the last game of the season. He led the team in tackles and started to look like his former self. Factor in his offseason work ethic and we should have good feel if he's back by preseason.

A healthy Spikes, and a quicker, younger MLB should be meeting next year's RB's at the line instead of 5-10 yards down field. Should Marv and co. look to upgrade Ellison in FA? Definitely, since you should always look to improve every position if possible. If Ellison puts on about 10 lbs. of muscle, he could have Marv. looking for depth instead of a starter.

We don't need a bigger DT as much as we need to upgrade Anderson immediately. If we can do both at the same time even better.
                I half way agree here. We have a tendency to fall in love with mediocre players around here. I really don't think Crowell is all that great. He'll never make a Pro Bowl. Are we trying to get to a Super Bowl or are we trying to be above average? We could use upgrades at 5 positions on D not one!!!

I'm not saying to cut Crowell, just saying that we could afford to improve everywhere in regards to LB's and DTs.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

I also see Crowell moving to the middle before Spikes.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Night Train
                    • Jul 2005

A healthy Spikes. That is the key term. He failed to stay healthy for 2 straight years, missing far too much time again this season. How often does that get better on the bad side of 30 ? Better find a backup behind him, just in case

We don't need to get bigger at DT ? Fewell said the opposite in print. He conceded we're too small ( Williams ) at the 1 gap and need to get stronger.

When you can't stop the run, then you better get serious about upgrading the front 7 and put personal sentiment aside. One new face? Might be 3 or 4.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                      • Mar 2005

A
                      When you can't stop the run, then you better get serious about upgrading the front 7 and put personal sentiment aside. One new face? Might be 3 or 4.
                      Great minds think alike. Great post. As I said above, are we trying to get to a Super Bowl or are we just trying to be above average?!

I for one will be totally disappointed if we don't see at least 4 NEW STARTERS on D.

Are we kidding ourseleves with Ellison, Spikes and Crowell as our LB crew? Anderson and Tripplett in the middle?

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                        • Jul 2005

We need to do something at DT, that's for sure. Even the best MLB in the world is going to have trouble making plays at the line of scrimmage if the DTs don't churn up the OL. For instance, Carl Banks on Sirius NFL was just talking about how much less effective Urlacher has been in the running game since Tommie Harris got hurt. I haven't watched enough Bears football to evaluate that statement, but if Urlacher needs help from the DTs to make an impact on the run defense.........
                        Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                          • Jul 2005

For the record, I don't think the idea of moving Spikes inside is a bad idea. He doesn't have experience in there, but on paper he sure looks like he could do it. Plus, he'd be a good guy to run the defense.
                          Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• madness
                            • Apr 2003

A healthy Spikes. That is the key term. He failed to stay healthy for 2 straight years, missing far too much time again this season. How often does that get better on the bad side of 30 ? Better find a backup behind him, just in case

We don't need to get bigger at DT ? Fewell said the opposite in print. He conceded we're too small ( Williams ) at the 1 gap and need to get stronger.

Does anybody else notice as a society, people's comprehension skills are plummeting into a deep abyss?

Where did I say we don't need a bigger DT? Where did I suggest we only need one new face? I'm sure my post mentioned a new DT and an upgrading the LB core, maybe a starter, definitely the depth. I didn't even include the secondary either and I'm almost positive I said something about you should always look to upgrade every position if possible.

Comment

• Night Train
                              • Jul 2005

Does anybody else notice as a society, people's comprehension skills are plummeting into a deep abyss?

I understood your comment on Anderson. Don't get your skirt all in a knot, Nancy. If we can do both ?
                              BTW - you did notice Kyle Williams played the last game and Anderson was inactive, which means probably cut. Williams gets run over with ease and is part of the problem.

I already mentioned Spikes having a good game against the Ravens but thanks for repeating it again. His work ethic was great last off-season and 2 lingering injuries still held him out of the majority of games.

Comment

Working...
                              X