PDA

View Full Version : A little rant

Bling
01-19-2007, 06:34 PM
I've realized after Saban that finding an actual HC in the league is a nothing more than a theory. You can tell the losers majority of the time after their first stint, but guys like Saban and Cameron are real guesses. They could have the greatest background in the world, but could suck as a coach.

That's why I'm holding off being excited about the hiring. I'm glad Miami is actually acknowledging it has an Offense, but this guy could be Mike Mularkey for all I know. He could also be Bill Belicheck. We just don't know. We'll see where this franchise is going about midseason. First season is a pass, but you can definitely get a look for the future about midseason.

THATHURMANATOR
01-19-2007, 06:36 PM
Behlicheck is a defensive minded coach....

Bling
01-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Behlicheck is a defensive minded coach....

I realize that. I just couldn't think of a great coach on offense that's still alive. Lovie Smith, Tony Dungy aren't great offensive coaches, and Sean Peyton as an offensive coach is debatable.

I used Belicheck because he's a great motivated, and has his team organized whether they're on offense or defense. Understand?

feelthepain
01-19-2007, 06:58 PM
I realize that. I just couldn't think of a great coach on offense that's still alive. Lovie Smith, Tony Dungy aren't great offensive coaches, and Sean Peyton as an offensive coach is debatable.

I used Belicheck because he's a great motivated, and has his team organized whether they're on offense or defense. Understand?

I'm happy with this hire, thrilled? Not right now, but happy nonetheless. I think he fits what we need the most. I think if he lets everyone else do their job without interference, it's for the best. By Dom signing his contract extension today it means he's fine with the hire and believs things are headed in the right direction. Things are coming together, will we win? I don't know but we could have done much worse then Capers and Cameron. Lets not forget Cam worked with Houck in San Diego and Cam is also a big fan of Capers. It doesn't seem like there is going to be a big disruption to the team as with most coahing changes. I feel much better now then I did two weeks ago, wouldn't it be crazy if Saban leaving was the key to our success?

THATHURMANATOR
01-19-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm happy with this hire, thrilled? Not right now, but happy nonetheless. I think he fits what we need the most. I think if he lest everyone else do their job without interference, it's for the best. By Dom signing his contract extension it means he's fine with the hire and believs things are headed in the right direction. Things are coming together, will we win? I don't know but we could have done much worse then Capers and Cameron. Lets not forget Cam worked with Houck in San Diego and Cam is also a big fan of Capers. It doesn't seem like there is going to be a big disruption to the team as with most coahing changes. I feel much better now then I did two weeks ago, wouldn't it be crazy if Saban leaving was the key to our success?
Do what you need to do to justify this with yourself... :puke:

Typ0
01-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Jesus Christ could coach your team and you'd still lose. This just makes it worse.

Typ0
01-19-2007, 07:06 PM
ICE probably would have taken the job.

feelthepain
01-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Bling starts a legit thread and these are the type of post you can expect from Bill fans. Bravo!

Typ0
01-19-2007, 07:32 PM
Bling starts a legit thread and these are the type of post you can expect from Bill fans. Bravo!

your team is in sad shape.

feelthepain
01-19-2007, 07:38 PM

Really? Say's who, you? Well I may aswell pack it in then. A Bill fans thinks the fins are in sad shape, not using facts or proof, just an opinion! This coming from a fan of a team that went 7-9. But you did beat and injured Daunte and Joey Harrington, so that means the Bills are SB bound. Congrats!

Devin
01-19-2007, 07:39 PM
I've realized after Saban that finding an actual HC in the league is a nothing more than a theory. You can tell the losers majority of the time after their first stint, but guys like Saban and Cameron are real guesses. They could have the greatest background in the world, but could suck as a coach.

That's why I'm holding off being excited about the hiring. I'm glad Miami is actually acknowledging it has an Offense, but this guy could be Mike Mularkey for all I know. He could also be Bill Belicheck. We just don't know. We'll see where this franchise is going about midseason. First season is a pass, but you can definitely get a look for the future about midseason.

Great post.

In this day and age it really is hard to be excited about a new coach, more often then not bad comes before good. As a Bills fan I am well versed in this subject.

Personally I think Cameron was one of the better choices, one I hoped the fish wouldnt make but either way as you said hiring a coach these days is almost as big a crap shoot as the draft.

The 2nd season is a big tell, year 1 anything can happen. Payton did a masterful job in NO but I am more curious to see what he does year 2. At any rate of the canidates the fins interviewed imo they got the best of the group.

bluehaze
01-19-2007, 07:40 PM

WAS in sad shape, the times they are a changin though! :dance:

feelthepain
01-19-2007, 07:54 PM
The 2nd season is a big tell, year 1 anything can happen. Payton did a masterful job in NO but I am more curious to see what he does year 2. At any rate of the canidates the fins interviewed imo they got the best of the group.

I think the fact that we got a guy that has a great offensive mind will help this team quite a bit. His system works, to what degree depends on the talent you have. I think with money we have to spend this year we add some talent through FA that will make an impact on O.

Typ0
01-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Really? Say's who, you? Well I may aswell pack it in then. A Bill fans thinks the fins are in sad shape, not using facts or proof, just an opinion! This coming from a fan of a team that went 7-9. But you did beat and injured Daunte and Joey Harrington, so that means the Bills are SB bound. Congrats!

you want me to give you points because our team is in sad shape too? whiner.

HAMMER
01-19-2007, 08:06 PM
Miami still sucks.

feelthepain
01-19-2007, 08:10 PM
you want me to give you points because our team is in sad shape too? whiner.

Spoken like a true 2 year old. You're avatar fits you're persaonality, explains why you chose it!

!Papacrunk!
01-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Great post.

In this day and age it really is hard to be excited about a new coach, more often then not bad comes before good. As a Bills fan I am well versed in this subject.

Personally I think Cameron was one of the better choices, one I hoped the fish wouldnt make but either way as you said hiring a coach these days is almost as big a crap shoot as the draft.

Great post as well. I think the two other good things is that Cameron won't have complete and utter total control like Saban did, we'll actually have a GM making the moves in Randy Mueller. Also, I'm glad that Dom Capers will be back as the official defensive coordinator, and I'm sure Jason Taylor is happy with that as well.

jmb1099
01-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Spoken like a true 2 year old. You're avatar fits you're persaonality, explains why you chose it!
Actually Bling starts a great thread and you ruined by being...you

Bufftp
01-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Everbody is calling for Shottenheimers head after the playoff loss.
Especially because of the offensive play calling.
Run LT just 9 times in the second half.
Bling, Shotty as a head coach doesn't intefere with his co-ordinators calls.
Cam called the O-Game for San Diego.
I guess Cam studied Mularkeys play book.

Welcome to the AFC East Cam!

DraftBoy
01-19-2007, 09:06 PM
I think its a good hire. Cameron better learn how to run the ball a good bit, also you guys need to get a stable QB. Solid hire, though I think if he picked his coordinators youd be in better shape.

feelthepain
01-19-2007, 09:15 PM

Their is also video evidence that Marty was telling cam over and over to stay aggressive. That tells me Marty wanted to throw the ball and after all, Marty is the HC. I think that was their gameplan going in, I think they were trying to out think the Pats...mistake! Even though most here would agree that loss wasn't because LT didn't touch the ball enough. It's because the Pats got every thing fall their way, nothing you can do about luck or misfortune.

Devin
01-19-2007, 09:21 PM
I think the fact that we got a guy that has a great offensive mind will help this team quite a bit. His system works, to what degree depends on the talent you have. I think with money we have to spend this year we add some talent through FA that will make an impact on O.

Hes certainly an upgrade.

It will be interesting to see if he keeps Mularkey. Im sure he will want to bring in his own guy/s.

Bling
01-19-2007, 09:33 PM

Uh huh... I guess he's doomed. We don't judge guys on records anymore. 14-2. We judge them on the 1st half of one playoff game. LT ran 23 times in the game for 123 yards. Cam saw LT only had 9, and said 14 more is what the team needs. He made second half adjustments, isn't that good? The team put up 21 points against the New England Patriot defense. That same defense that plays lights out when it needs it most. Phil Rivers threw for under 50% on 32 attempts.

Look at the Pats play calling, 51 pass attempts? 5 carries for Maroney? 8 for Dillon? Tell me who was more balanced, Buff? If you had to guess, who had the better play calling?

Did Cameron play the game? Was he telling Marlon McCrey to intercept a ball that was useless on 4th down? Was he telling Phil Rivers to throw an INT? Stupid player mistakes, who's fault is that? Players, Head Coach or Offensive Coordinator?

I'm curious Bufftp, what's Dick Jauron's playoff record? Been to any Super Bowls? I'm curious as to his whole record?

Keep telling yourself Cameron is a moron. I've yet to decide, but you're already prejudging the guy based on a first half of a game. I guess we're ****ed now.

dolphan117
01-19-2007, 09:43 PM
It is going to be interesting to see how the rest of the staff fills out. Our QB coach Garrett has a lot of fans around the league and Parcels has actually called him a "HC waiting to happen". So far this offseason he has already been offered the OC position at Bama by Saban (which he declined) and the Browns asked permission to interview him for their OC job. (Which the Phins front office denied) He is probably the top candidate for the OC job if MM is let go.

Our O line coach Hudson Houck is in the last year of his contract but I would expect him to stay at least for that year as he coached with Cam in SD before he came to Miami. On the Defensive side of the ball Capers is apparently committed to be the DC and another guy that should be retained is our D line coach Dan Quinn. Like Garrett he is a guy that is garnering a little buzz for the job he has done with our D line over the last 2 years. Just nothing short of outstanding. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets some DC offers over the offseason.

Nighthawk
01-19-2007, 10:21 PM

I think this is an excellent move for Ronnie Brown...he should be excited. Brown has been wasting away in Miami under Saban. Also, the thought of bringing Ricky back makes me laugh...that would be the biggest waste of time.

TigerJ
01-19-2007, 10:21 PM
Tom Donahoe testified publically that of all the interviews for head coach that he did, no one was more ready to be a head coach in the NFL than Gregg Williams. Yeah riiiiight, Tom!

Nighthawk
01-19-2007, 10:23 PM
It is going to be interesting to see how the rest of the staff fills out. Our QB coach Garrett has a lot of fans around the league and Parcels has actually called him a "HC waiting to happen". So far this offseason he has already been offered the OC position at Bama by Saban (which he declined) and the Browns asked permission to interview him for their OC job. (Which the Phins front office denied) He is probably the top candidate for the OC job if MM is let go.

Our O line coach Hudson Houck is in the last year of his contract but I would expect him to stay at least for that year as he coached with Cam in SD before he came to Miami. On the Defensive side of the ball Capers is apparently committed to be the DC and another guy that should be retained is our D line coach Dan Quinn. Like Garrett he is a guy that is garnering a little buzz for the job he has done with our D line over the last 2 years. Just nothing short of outstanding. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets some DC offers over the offseason.

Ok, you are way to giddy over a coaching staff that has proved nothing over the last few years. Any Phins fans wonder why we give them so much grief...

feelthepain
01-19-2007, 11:00 PM
Hes certainly an upgrade.

It will be interesting to see if he keeps Mularkey. Im sure he will want to bring in his own guy/s.

It's been reported that MM wants to stay with the Dolphins. If he does, he does. I think Cam will bring in some coaches of his choice, but I don't see much change to the coaching staff. I look forward to having a guy that is know for being tough to gameplan. I've done quite a bit of reading on Cam and his system and he seems to run an O that other coaches don't like preparing for. We will see, but you have to think Miami will hit on a coach sooner or later. I think this team will be a little like the 86 Bears where Buddy ran the D and Ditka ran the O. Will the results be the same? Maybe in 08!

jmb1099
01-19-2007, 11:16 PM
It's been reported that MM wants to stay with the Dolphins. If he does, he does. I think Cam will bring in some coaches of his choice, but I don't see much change to the coaching staff. I look forward to having a guy that is know for being tough to gameplan. I've done quite a bit of reading on Cam and his system and he seems to run an O that other coaches don't like preparing for. We will see, but you have to think Miami will hit on a coach sooner or later. I think this team will be a little like the 86 Bears where Buddy ran the D and Ditka ran the O. Will the results be the same? Maybe in 08!
As I said I think Cam is a good upgrade for the fins. You also did quite a bit of reading on Saban and swore he was going to stay even as his plan has landing in Alabama so you'll understand if no one believes your research at this point. Cam will at least bring offensive knowledge with him. I guess now you'll see if you guys have any weapons on O or if you need to rebuild it. My guess is that cam will rebuild it.

jmb1099
01-19-2007, 11:21 PM

I was amazed when I heard fox and espn talking about this the day after the loss. You have the best player to play the game in years and you put the ball in his hands 9 times in the second half? Historically speaking that's not Marty ball. Marty ball would have been run, run, run, either ist down or punt. Still Cam has the potential to be a good coach, I just don't think the talent is presently available for him to work with yet. It will take a couple drafts and FA to make a serious run and by then the aging fins d will also need to be addressed. That being said Capers is capable of fixing it so as far as coach's go they are in potentially in decent shape with the exception of MM.

texasphinsfan
01-20-2007, 01:08 AM

GREAT post bling..... i very much agree with your opinion here.

texasphinsfan
01-20-2007, 01:10 AM
I think this is an excellent move for Ronnie Brown...he should be excited. Brown has been wasting away in Miami under Saban. Also, the thought of bringing Ricky back makes me laugh...that would be the biggest waste of time.

i agree with this as well.... i think Ronnie will benefit the most. Cam will undoubtedly use a lot of LT plays on Ronnie, both being great pass-catchers (and yes, i KNOW LT is hands-down superior on talent... but both have similar skill-sets)

Historian
01-20-2007, 05:39 AM
The fish are the laughing stock of pro football.

They have now secured that title for at least the next two years!

:bf1: fish

Forward_Lateral
01-20-2007, 06:20 AM
Bling, I agree. Good post. The only thing I have an issue with is Payton. He led the Saints to the best overall Offense in the NFL this season, so I'd say he's a pretty decent offensive HC.

texasphinsfan
01-20-2007, 06:29 AM
The fish are the laughing stock of pro football.

They have now secured that title for at least the next two years!

:bf1: fish

i think that is a bit drastic...

i mean we've only had 3 losing seasons since the merger... that's pretty damn respectable if you ask me.

Michael82
01-20-2007, 07:40 AM
Wow....anyone else feel sick after reading all this Fish Love? :ill: :puke:

Typ0
01-20-2007, 08:30 AM

it's OK ftp. I forgive you. One truly can't be held accountable when they are under such immense pressure and trauma.

alohabillsfan
01-20-2007, 08:50 AM

Martz also is a great offensive mind, look what he's done... But I agree with most and that is the wait and see what the hell happens because right now we just don't know! With all that said I thought it was the better selection of what was available.

Historian
01-20-2007, 09:20 AM
i think that is a bit drastic...

i mean we've only had 3 losing seasons since the merger... that's pretty damn respectable if you ask me.

Admit it...you're the new Arizona.

:squish:

dolphan117
01-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Ok, you are way to giddy over a coaching staff that has proved nothing over the last few years. Any Phins fans wonder why we give them so much grief...
Fact-Garrett is a hot name and is being offered OC jobs by other teams after being called a "Head coach waiting to happen by Bill Parcels"
Fact-Hudson Houck set up the lines for years with the Cowboys during their SB runs for Emmit Smith after which he went to SD and set up the lines for L.T. Last year our line was actually pretty darn good (I think we gave up the 3rd least sacks in the league) although this year our line started out like crap and finally improved over the last half. I am willing to give a guy like HH who has such a proven track record the benefit of the doubt here. If you ask anyone who knows anything about O line coaches they will tell you that he is one of the most respected line coaches in the game.
Fact-Capers has always been an outstanding defensive mind even when he failed as a HC. During his time with the Jaguars I believe he attained the number one defense in the league.
Fact-Dann Quinn has done an outstanding job as the D line coach. Jason Taylor just had his best year as a Pro and was the league defensive MVP. Vonnie Holliday had a great year and with his 7 sacks trailed only 2 DT in sack count. Matt Roth (the second round pick from a year ago) showed solid development during his second year. The 37 year old Keith Traylor had another outstanding season holding down the NT position on a D that ranked 8th against the run.

I don't see how considering any of those guys to coaches is over-rating them. Though if you have some legitimate criticism I would love to hear it.

feelthepain
01-20-2007, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Nighthawk

More non brilliance from a Bill fan, So far this offseason other teams have targeted Our HC, QB coach, DC , GM and a couple of asstance. I have not heard one word about one single Bills coach or FO person getting any interest from anyone else in the league. Talk about a worthless staff! Obviously only Bill fans see value in their team because no one else does. Bills fans have to be to most self consumed people on the planet, the Bills have a horrible season, but you Bill fans feel the need to ignore that and trash talk about another team.

Typ0
01-20-2007, 01:49 PM
More non brilliance from a Bill fan, So far this offseason other teams have targeted Our HC, QB coach, DC , GM and a couple of asstance. I have not heard one word about one single Bills coach or FO person getting any interest from anyone else in the league. Talk about a worthless staff! Obviously only Bill fans see value in their team because no one else does. Bills fans have to be to most self consumed people on the planet, the Bills have a horrible season, but you Bill fans feel the need to ignore that and trash talk about another team.

that's because our coaching staff wants to be here and yours is falling apart.

feelthepain
01-20-2007, 01:59 PM
that's because our coaching staff wants to be here and yours is falling apart.

What does other teams interest in our coaches have to do with where our coaches want to be, obviously we haven't lost anyone other then Saban because they want to stay in Miami. Other teams are interest in our coaches is because of the quality of the coaches we have. Obviously other teams have no interest in your coaches for obvious reasons.

texasphinsfan
01-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Admit it...you're the new Arizona.

:squish:
wow. apples to oranges, my friend.

there aren't any similarities there.

Ickybaluky
01-20-2007, 03:08 PM
I think Cameron got his job because of his background coaching QBs. I think that is Miami's biggest concern, and rightly so.

I don't thnk people can question his mental toughness. The guy played point guard under Bobby Knight at Indiana. That takes some mental toughness.

Typ0
01-20-2007, 07:37 PM
What does other teams interest in our coaches have to do with where our coaches want to be, obviously we haven't lost anyone other then Saban because they want to stay in Miami. Other teams are interest in our coaches is because of the quality of the coaches we have. Obviously other teams have no interest in your coaches for obvious reasons.

nah, they just want to spend their time on coaches that can be had.

Tatonka
01-20-2007, 08:04 PM
i think that sometimes coaches need second chances too..

bill belicheck is a perfect example.. he sucked in cleveland.. but obviously got it right in new england.. i am hoping for the same in buffalo with jauron.

sometimes guys need to evaluate what it was that caused them to fail in their first stint.

as far as first time coaches.. you could get sean payton, who i thought was an AWFUL hire, considering he basically had his playcalling ability taken from him while in new york.. and was all but demoted to qb coach.. and look how he turned out. or you could get mularky.. who looked like he would be great and sucked.

feelthepain
01-20-2007, 09:37 PM

bill belicheck is a perfect example.. he sucked in cleveland.. but obviously got it right in new england.. i am hoping for the same in buffalo with jauron.

sometimes guys need to evaluate what it was that caused them to fail in their first stint.

as far as first time coaches.. you could get sean payton, who i thought was an AWFUL hire, considering he basically had his playcalling ability taken from him while in new york.. and was all but demoted to qb coach.. and look how he turned out. or you could get mularky.. who looked like he would be great and sucked.

It's all about the talent, get the talent and you win. Sean Peyton is nothing special, but having Brees, Bush, McCalister, Horn and Colston makes life easy doesn't it?

Nighthawk
01-20-2007, 09:40 PM

Please keep talking because you make us "non-brilliant" Bills fans look really good with everyword you type! :dance:

dolphan117
01-20-2007, 09:41 PM
It's all about the talent, get the talent and you win. Sean Peyton is nothing special, but having Brees, Bush, McCalister, Horn and Colston makes life easy doesn't it?I don't know that its fair to say that Peyton isn't anything special. Sure he has some weapons there but what he has done with all of those guys in a first year offense has been pretty impressive.

feelthepain
01-20-2007, 11:24 PM
I don't know that its fair to say that Peyton isn't anything special. Sure he has some weapons there but what he has done with all of those guys in a first year offense has been pretty impressive.

Isn't it funny though that wherever Brees goes teams win?

texasphinsfan
01-21-2007, 03:52 AM

good post. i agree whole-heartedly.

Cam never had a first-chance coaching in the NFL. After the "Saban" experiment (and countless others we've seen go from college to pros), i'm hesitant to evaluate a coach based on his collegiate record. As we can tell, the two really have no reflection on success rate either way.

texasphinsfan
01-21-2007, 03:56 AM
I don't know that its fair to say that Peyton isn't anything special. Sure he has some weapons there but what he has done with all of those guys in a first year offense has been pretty impressive.
to compound on that, the saints had one of the best draft classes of the last ten years.... who had a hand in that?

peyton took a 3-13 team and turned them around to division champs, possibly NFC champs.

i think he's a good coach. you can't take away all credit because he has some good players.

The patriots have a lot of great players, yet no one seems to take credit away from Belichick. In fact, i think it could be said that the Saints had the best offseason this last year.

texasphinsfan
01-21-2007, 03:58 AM
Isn't it funny though that wherever Brees goes teams win?
That could only really be said the last 3 years.

But yeah, it really just pours salt into the wound over our decision at QB, doesn't it?

feelthepain
01-21-2007, 11:26 AM
That could only really be said the last 3 years.

But yeah, it really just pours salt into the wound over our decision at QB, doesn't it?

Well I'm still a huge fan of Culpepper, I think Cam will have a very good impact on him. We'll just have to wait and see.