PDA

View Full Version : Are all Fan based trades made on the assumptions that the 29 other teams are ******s?

Dozerdog
01-19-2007, 11:32 PM
Forked from: Mikka Noronen (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=1818499)

Playing safe gets you beat and the same is true here. The problem that everybody seems to forget is that Biron, IMO, is not a championship goalie. Therefore, I feel that if we lose Miller, our Cup dreams are probably lost too. Thus, you make your team stronger in front of Miller and play to win.

Very easy answer...Phoenix. I like both Shane Doan & Jovanowski...either would be an excellent fit for the Sabres and Phoenix is not happy with their goaltending. Another possible player that I would like would be Guerin, but the way St. Louis is playing right now it doesn't look like they will be trading away their players at the deadline.

Can I ask a serious question?

If you rate a player as being not all that good- why would teams want to fork over their best players for your garbage? What's in it for them?

clumping platelets
01-19-2007, 11:35 PM
I think people also forget that there is a salary cap now in hockey

Ebenezer
01-19-2007, 11:36 PM
Forked from: Mikka Noronen (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=1818499)

If you rate a player as being not all that good- why would teams want to fork over their best players for your garbage? What's in it for them?
When I think of some of the trades Darcy has pulled off I wonder what some NHL GMs have been thinking...

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-20-2007, 06:33 AM
I can't stop laughing at the title.

The_Philster
01-20-2007, 08:02 AM
When I think of some of the trades Darcy has pulled off I wonder what some NHL GMs have been thinking...
Wilson for Warrener AND a draft pick
We robbed Florida blind on that one :roflmao:

Dozerdog
01-20-2007, 09:23 AM
We robbed Florida blind on that one :roflmao:I can completely understand trading one struggling young player for prospects- from both sides. It's not like Warrener was an all-star in Florida.

It was a risk/reward deal for both sides.

But lemme take your semi-expensive goalie off your hands- yeah- the one that won't be playing for either of us in 4 months- and give you my best players for him.

DDDUUUHHHHHHHH...............:crazy:

Philagape
01-20-2007, 09:44 AM

Gratton for Briere

SabreEleven
01-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Dozer, you can say that again.

Dozerdog
01-20-2007, 01:03 PM
The all time ripoff was Barrie Moore to the Oilers for Miro Satan

Crisis
01-20-2007, 01:06 PM

Didn't that draft pick turn into Ryan Miller too?

camelcowboy
01-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Barnaby for Stu Barnes

SkateZilla
01-20-2007, 05:06 PM
Dacry Dont trade and when he does its like he uses the jedi mind trick.. come on, Gratton for Briere!?.. lol..

Next year we trade Andrew Peters for Pavel Datsuk... lol...

chernobylwraiths
01-20-2007, 06:51 PM
In the Gratton deal, we gave up enormous size for a firefly who seemed to have a "little" scoring touch. Briere was put on waivers that year I believe so it wasn't like we were ripping them off at the time.

Philagape
01-20-2007, 08:32 PM
Briere was put on waivers in 2001. The following season he scored 32 goals for Phoenix.
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07004/751166-61.stm

The difference between him and Gratton, then and now, is Briere has way more heart. That's more important than size.

Dozerdog
01-20-2007, 08:33 PM
It wasn't a little guy's league then either. The rules changes made Briere a star

Nighthawk
01-20-2007, 09:19 PM

Dude, just because you're a MOD...does that give you the right to call somebody out in a thread? This just confirms my idea that you're an idiot! Sometimes I can't stand the double standard on this board. Nice job Dozer...

Dozerdog
01-20-2007, 09:26 PM
LOL..who's calling who names?

I can't debate your point of trading our non-championship free agent goalie for other team's $7 million franchise defensemen?

Or are you just mad that you're wrong? My bad.

I'll just agree with you then

Dozerdog
01-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Nighthawk- Great Idea! Get Darcy and Gretzky on the line and get Jovo over here!

Nighthawk
01-20-2007, 09:37 PM
LOL..who's calling who names?

I can't debate your point of trading our non-championship free agent goalie for other team's $7 million franchise defensemen?

Or are you just mad that you're wrong? My bad.

I'll just agree with you then

Trust me, I'm not wrong...this team does need a trade. The name calling was juvenile and I apologize for that. However, I strongly disagree that this team will be fine without some tweaking. I did not know that Jova was that expensive, so that won't work, but they need to do something and not just assume that everything will be all better come playoffs. Just my opinion.

Dozerdog
01-20-2007, 09:45 PM
2/3rds of this team was in Rochester during the strike.

They are young and will have ups and downs. This team with whatever problems they have are still one of the top 3-4 teams in the entire league.

Slumps are a part of the learning process. There are very few players on this team I want to unload- mainly because there are even fewer players out there that are as cheap/ cheaper and better than what we got.

If there are teams willing to cut loose a Bouwmester or some other young stud, I'm all for it. I don't want any rent-a -players. The team hasn't any glaring needs at the moment

Nighthawk
01-20-2007, 09:50 PM
2/3rds of this team was in Rochester during the strike.

They are young and will have ups and downs. This team with whatever problems they have are still one of the top 3-4 teams in the entire league.

Slumps are a part of the learning process. There are very few players on this team I want to unload- mainly because there are even fewer players out there that are as cheap/ cheaper and better than what we got.

If there are teams willing to cut loose a Bouwmester or some other young stud, I'm all for it. I don't want any rent-a -players. The team hasn't any glaring needs at the moment

Actually, this team has very apparent lack of grit and teams are taking advantage of that right now. This may be the best shot that Sabres have at winning the cup and to not take full advantage of it because we feel are young players will be able to buck up in the playoffs is taking a big risk. What put Carolina over the top last year? It was veterans like Recchi & Weight...their experience was invaluable in the lockerroom. This team does not have enough of that and it is becoming apparent with their recent play. All I'm saying is that we can't sit back and just assume this team will turn it on come playoffs...Ottawa of last year proved that.

The_Philster
01-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Didn't that draft pick turn into Ryan Miller too?
Yeah, it did
http://www2.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/players/Rhett_Warrener/
Guess Darcy really got us the better part of that deal by a larger margin. Hell, just getting Warrener for Wilson was a ripoff for the Panthers :snicker:

SabreEleven
01-21-2007, 08:39 AM
Peters 2nd Round
Miller 6th Round

:cynic:

Isn't it ironic....