PDA

View Full Version : Bengals are not giving up hope to matching Spikes contract

don137
03-06-2003, 07:05 AM
http://www.bengals.com

Below are some blurbs from the article but it doesn't sound like the Bengals have thrown in the towel on Spikes and are taking a wait and see attitude. Sounds like it could get expensive to land him. The thing that gets me nervous is if we offer him a contract and while we are waiting for an answer a team like ST. Louis or NO signs Petersen so the Bills get nothing. Just something to ponder...

There are signs they are determined to keep their leading tackler and emotional leader by matching a big offer and putting him in the middle of defensive guru Marvin Lewis’ new system in Cincinnati.

Lewis is also talking about re-structuring contracts if need be to combat the Bills’ offer, which the Bengals have seven days to match. But there are also signs that point to the Bengals guarding against the unmatchable by seeking out all kinds of linebackers. That’s what they did Wednesday when they hosted Kevin Hardy of the Cowboys and Mike Peterson of the Colts as possible replacements.

“Cap wise, we have the ability to re-structure some contracts and do some things and still maintain Takeo’s services regardless of what happens in Buffalo,” Lewis said. “We can still keep all options open. Hopefully, something will come to a head. Maybe it doesn’t. We have to keep evaluating prospective players.”

ArcticWildMan
03-06-2003, 07:16 AM
If We make a solid offer, and Takeo says he wants to play here, it would be a incredibly stupid for Lewis to block the deal.

He'd be better off letting Spikes go, and finding somebody who wanted to play in Cincy! Having a PO'd Spikes around could ruin Lewis' career, but I doubt he realizes that. He's too arrogant. :rolleyes:

Voltron
03-06-2003, 07:50 AM
Yeah but who in all reality wants to play in Cincy ? :huh:

:lol:

All joking aside this scares me a bit. It shows that maybe they are not going to be as chep this year. They did spend some money on Dillion.