PDA

View Full Version : Troy Aikman

kernowboy
01-20-2007, 08:18 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but in Aikman's first two seasons of being a starter .. he went 0-11 in a 1-15 first season and then 7-7 in his second year helped especially with the drafting of a certain Emmett Smith and the bringing together of a much more effective OL.

Now forgive my maths, but certain alleged fans have been complaining about a 8-16 starting record after being a starter for two years ... surely this is superior to a 7-18 starting record over a similar period of time when this guy has a far superior running back to McGahee

Just a thought ....

Historian
01-20-2007, 08:20 AM
I think he's the best announcer in football.

DynaPaul
01-20-2007, 09:20 AM
Aikman wound up with a monster o-line too in Dallas.

Mr. Cynical
01-21-2007, 01:05 AM

That was the #1 reason they had their success.

Aikman was a good QB but nothing great. And although Smith deserves the HoF, I do not put him anywhere in the same league as Payton or Barry...much of Smith's yards were the result of gaping holes.

kernowboy
01-21-2007, 02:16 AM
and the point I'm making is the OL and RB are crucial requirements for any offence. I think the OL is 70% there .. we need a new RG and eventually an upgrade a LG but more importantly within the next 2 years a more aggressive runner. He doesn't need to be masssive, he does need not to fanny about at the line of scrimmage.

IMHO I think we are two years away from the championship game so I would do eveything possible to grab Slaton in 2008

texasphinsfan
01-21-2007, 04:53 AM
i don't know what you're getting at.... Aikman's numbers were actually nothing to write home about. in fact, given his fame level, they are not good at all.

i think he is the beneficiary of the status of all the rings and having a great team around him.

let me put this in perspective. Troy Aikman and Jay Fiedler each have the same number of 20+ TD-pass seasons (even though Jay Fiedler has only had ONE YEAR in his career where he started all 16 games). Jon Kitna has been starting for only 6 years as opposed to Aikman's 12, yet Kitna has more 3400+ yard seasons than Aikman (who only did it once). Aikman's best full-played year is worse than Marino's worst full-played year. kinda pathetic isn't it?

yet he won the superbowls, and for that he is listed as one of the all-time greats.

THAT is the reason i have a problem with the superbowl rings being the gold standard in rating players...

Ingtar33
01-21-2007, 05:04 AM
aikman never needed to put up the numbers.

He had the best running game and defense in the league. Anyone who watched the boys during their superbowl runs wouldn't claim Aikman wasn't a big part of that success.

he was clutch, efficient and delivered when his team needed him to.

Do i think he was one of the best ever. no, not by a long shot. He was a very good QB on a great team, who probably could have put up bigger years, if his team wasn't always sitting on a 20-30 point lead going into the 3rd quarter with the leagues best defense, he might have had to.

texasphinsfan
01-21-2007, 01:34 PM
aikman never needed to put up the numbers.

He had the best running game and defense in the league. Anyone who watched the boys during their superbowl runs wouldn't claim Aikman wasn't a big part of that success.

he was clutch, efficient and delivered when his team needed him to.

Do i think he was one of the best ever. no, not by a long shot. He was a very good QB on a great team, who probably could have put up bigger years, if his team wasn't always sitting on a 20-30 point lead going into the 3rd quarter with the leagues best defense, he might have had to.
very well said, my friend.... very well said.

Aikman was the epitome of efficiency. the true "caretaker" QB.

Mr. Cynical
01-21-2007, 02:21 PM
And yet, he is in the Hall for going for the ride as a caretaker.

STAMPY
01-21-2007, 02:23 PM

he has some great numbers, as a caretaker

dolphinssuck
01-21-2007, 02:28 PM

Exactly why him and Emmitt had some much sucess!

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-21-2007, 02:29 PM
For every Aikman, there are 20 qbs that started that way and never amounted to anything.

texasphinsfan
01-21-2007, 02:55 PM
i guess that is really my beef with the HOF.

there are other players at other positions who deserve to be in the hall way more than Aikman, but because they didn't have the fame along with the stats, they're not there (see: Andre Reed)