X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Brown's leadership, performance missed in Buffalo

The Chicago Bears crushed the New Orleans Saints by a score of 39-14 on Sunday in the NFC Championship game, propelling them to the Super Bowl for the first time in two-plus decades. Leading the way offensively for Chicago was offensive guard Ruben Brown, a once-revered Buffalo Bill.
    Drafted by the Bills in 1995, Brown went on to play in eight consecutive Pro Bowls for the AFC between 1996-2003. Although many thought Brown was overrated during that time span, it's become fairly evident he probably wasn't.
    more
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Brown's leadership, performance missed in Buffalo

I disagree. I thought Browns best year in Buffalo was his rookie year ! He was just kicking ass and taking names. He played good after that but his last 2-3 years in Buffalo were less than enthusiastic. He missed many blocks and I wondered if football was even important to him anymore.

It seems once he went to Chicago, someone lit a fire under him. I think he's a good guy but let's not get fuzzy in our perception of his play during his Bills tenure.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• jamze132
      Don’t hate…
      • Jun 2003

Well I wish we still have him on the roster. Stupid Donahoe.

Comment

• The King
        Without me it's just Awe so
        • Jun 2004

You know what is not missed... the 19 False Start penalties every game. Brown needed a change. Nothing we could do about that.
        I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
        "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
        You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
        It was all
        true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
        He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
        mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• jamze132
          Don’t hate…
          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by MBBedard
          You know what is not missed... the 19 False Start penalties every game. Brown needed a change. Nothing we could do about that.
          Come on man, it wasn't THAT many. LOL

He was good for 1 per game though. And after he got it out of the way, he was pretty dominant. 8 Pro Bowls says so.

Comment

• The King
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by jamze132
            Come on man, it wasn't THAT many. LOL

He was good for 1 per game though. And after he got it out of the way, he was pretty dominant. 8 Pro Bowls says so.
            He was good for more than that, plus they always came at an awful time.
            I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
            "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
            You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
            It was all
            true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.

Comment

• IAG
              • Jan 2005

I miss him throwing his helmet on the sideline and complaining to Jim Brinson or Bob Treble inside the locker room that the Bills are not running the ball enough.

Comment

• jamze132
                Don’t hate…
                • Jun 2003

Originally posted by MBBedard
                He was good for more than that, plus they always came at an awful time.
                He is still better than 4 out of 5 lineman we currently have.

Comment

• eyedog
                  • Jul 2002

Anyone who actually WATCHED the games knows Ruben did not deserve those pro bowls.

Comment

• The King
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by jamze132
                    He is still better than 4 out of 5 lineman we currently have.
                    So be it. But I think the guy needed to be cut, it woke him up.
                    It was all

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                      • Jul 2003

Given the way he is finishing his career, Brown will have a legitimate shot at the Hall of Fame someday.

Comment

• eyedog
                        • Jul 2002

LOL. No way he makes the HOF.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                          Sab and TD are insignificant
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by The_Philster
                          The Chicago Bears crushed the New Orleans Saints by a score of 39-14 on Sunday in the NFC Championship game, propelling them to the Super Bowl for the first time in two-plus decades. Leading the way offensively for Chicago was offensive guard Ruben Brown, a once-revered Buffalo Bill.
                          Drafted by the Bills in 1995, Brown went on to play in eight consecutive Pro Bowls for the AFC between 1996-2003. Although many thought Brown was overrated during that time span, it's become fairly evident he probably wasn't.
                          more
                          I don't really miss ruben brown.
                          www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• kgun12
                            • Jul 2002

I've told this story before. I know Seth Payne of the Texans. He said Ruben is one of the best O-linemen he plays against. Not only is he hard to play, but he talks through out the whole game and wears you down mentally as well. He said he looked at the schedule when it came out and wasn't happy when he see that he has to play Brown team. I know he is just a NFL player and doesn't as know much as some of the folks that just watch the game, but I will side with the player on this one!
                            Retired Air Traffic Controller
                            USAF VETERAN
                            DAV

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                              My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                              • Apr 2004

So the gist is that Brown was unhappy in Buffalo, played like it, and then got a fresh start in Chicago. Now he's playing well.
                              I think if Chicago wins, he should retire.

Comment

Working...
                              X