PDA

View Full Version : Brown's leadership, performance missed in Buffalo

The_Philster
01-22-2007, 04:20 AM
The <ACRONYM title="Chicago Bears News">Chicago Bears</ACRONYM> crushed the <ACRONYM title="New Orleans Saints News">New Orleans Saints</ACRONYM> by a score of 39-14 on Sunday in the NFC Championship game, propelling them to the Super Bowl for the first time in two-plus decades. Leading the way offensively for Chicago was offensive guard Ruben Brown, a once-revered Buffalo Bill.
Drafted by the Bills in 1995, Brown went on to play in eight consecutive Pro Bowls for the AFC between 1996-2003. Although many thought Brown was overrated during that time span, it's become fairly evident he probably wasn't.
more (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/01/bills-rubenbrown-commentary220107.html)

Night Train
01-22-2007, 05:26 AM
I disagree. I thought Browns best year in Buffalo was his rookie year ! He was just kicking ass and taking names. He played good after that but his last 2-3 years in Buffalo were less than enthusiastic. He missed many blocks and I wondered if football was even important to him anymore.

It seems once he went to Chicago, someone lit a fire under him. I think he's a good guy but let's not get fuzzy in our perception of his play during his Bills tenure.

jamze132
01-22-2007, 06:04 AM
Well I wish we still have him on the roster. Stupid Donahoe.

The King
01-22-2007, 06:58 AM
You know what is not missed... the 19 False Start penalties every game. Brown needed a change. Nothing we could do about that.

jamze132
01-22-2007, 07:03 AM
You know what is not missed... the 19 False Start penalties every game. Brown needed a change. Nothing we could do about that.
Come on man, it wasn't THAT many. LOL

He was good for 1 per game though. And after he got it out of the way, he was pretty dominant. 8 Pro Bowls says so.

The King
01-22-2007, 07:21 AM
Come on man, it wasn't THAT many. LOL

He was good for 1 per game though. And after he got it out of the way, he was pretty dominant. 8 Pro Bowls says so.

He was good for more than that, plus they always came at an awful time.

IAG
01-22-2007, 07:31 AM
I miss him throwing his helmet on the sideline and complaining to Jim Brinson or Bob Treble inside the locker room that the Bills are not running the ball enough.

jamze132
01-22-2007, 07:36 AM
He was good for more than that, plus they always came at an awful time.
He is still better than 4 out of 5 lineman we currently have.

eyedog
01-22-2007, 07:44 AM
Anyone who actually WATCHED the games knows Ruben did not deserve those pro bowls.

The King
01-22-2007, 07:58 AM
He is still better than 4 out of 5 lineman we currently have.

So be it. But I think the guy needed to be cut, it woke him up.

Ickybaluky
01-22-2007, 08:04 AM
Given the way he is finishing his career, Brown will have a legitimate shot at the Hall of Fame someday.

eyedog
01-22-2007, 08:12 AM
LOL. No way he makes the HOF.

ublinkwescore
01-22-2007, 12:20 PM
The <ACRONYM title="Chicago Bears News">Chicago Bears</ACRONYM> crushed the <ACRONYM title="New Orleans Saints News">New Orleans Saints</ACRONYM> by a score of 39-14 on Sunday in the NFC Championship game, propelling them to the Super Bowl for the first time in two-plus decades. Leading the way offensively for Chicago was offensive guard Ruben Brown, a once-revered Buffalo Bill.
Drafted by the Bills in 1995, Brown went on to play in eight consecutive Pro Bowls for the AFC between 1996-2003. Although many thought Brown was overrated during that time span, it's become fairly evident he probably wasn't.
more (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/01/bills-rubenbrown-commentary220107.html)

I don't really miss ruben brown.

kgun12
01-22-2007, 12:46 PM
I've told this story before. I know Seth Payne of the Texans. He said Ruben is one of the best O-linemen he plays against. Not only is he hard to play, but he talks through out the whole game and wears you down mentally as well. He said he looked at the schedule when it came out and wasn't happy when he see that he has to play Brown team. I know he is just a NFL player and doesn't as know much as some of the folks that just watch the game, but I will side with the player on this one!

ParanoidAndroid
01-22-2007, 01:47 PM
So the gist is that Brown was unhappy in Buffalo, played like it, and then got a fresh start in Chicago. Now he's playing well.
I think if Chicago wins, he should retire.

kgun12
01-22-2007, 02:03 PM
So the gist is that Brown was unhappy in Buffalo, played like it, and then got a fresh start in Chicago. Now he's playing well.
I think if Chicago wins, he should retire.

No the gist of it is we as fans, zero in on a players mistake and take it to the inth degree. We did it with Brown and we did it with Parker. They both went on to good careers with other teams!

ParanoidAndroid
01-22-2007, 02:23 PM
2002 - 6 penalties, 9.5 sacks surrendered
2003 - 9 penalties, 7 sacks surrendered

I don't think that is anyone's imagination.

kgun12
01-22-2007, 02:37 PM
2002 - 6 penalties, 9.5 sacks surrendered
2003 - 9 penalties, 7 sacks surrendered

I don't think that is anyone's imagination.

Who were the other 4/5th of that line. Who was the QB and the coach. If you look at both players metioned when put with quality players they were just fine. But hey like I said early, us online tv watching people know a hell of a lot more then the players coaches and GM's in the league.

The_Philster
01-22-2007, 02:38 PM
No the gist of it is we as fans, zero in on a players mistake and take it to the inth degree. We did it with Brown and we did it with Parker. They both went on to good careers with other teams!
Bingo...he was known for lots of false starts here, but cut down his penalties dramatically over time. I think he was 3rd among our O-linemen his last season here...Jennings had more penalties easily...and while it's easy to say he didn't deserve the Pro Bowls, it's not true. He handled his assignments better than anyone we had on the O-line

DynaPaul
01-22-2007, 04:08 PM
He just didn't pan out for us here in Buffalo. It's great that he went somewhere else for the big money and has improved his play but we'd be fooling ourselves if we assume that he would have had the same motivation here.

Mr. Cynical
01-22-2007, 04:13 PM
I don't really miss ruben brown.

Where's Juice? :snicker:

ParanoidAndroid
01-22-2007, 05:04 PM
He just didn't pan out for us here in Buffalo. It's great that he went somewhere else for the big money and has improved his play but we'd be fooling ourselves if we assume that he would have had the same motivation here.

That's the thing. He was clearly having problems and his salary didn't jibe with his worth at the time.