PDA

View Full Version : Why are so many dissing Ralph...

User Manuel
01-22-2007, 10:36 AM
I am interested that so many here are quick to blame Ralph for not paying big money for free agents. I just don't see where it is an accurate statement.

I am curious as to where he has failed us.

I remember Bryce Paup, Thurman, Bruce, Jim Kelly, Moulds, etc.. All got their cash.

People were mad during the Donahoe era for Donahoe's fiscal control, but I recall him spending big money for Takeo, Villareal. These were Donahoe's decisons as were the releases early in his tenure of the big money guys. Ralph ponied up though.

As for Levy, granted he has yet to sign an impact free agent but this is not an unoriginal concept in the Patriots era.

What I am saying is that I have yet to hear where Ralph has said "no" to pursuit of a player if his football people have wanted to go after them.

I believethat if Marv says we need Lance Briggs or Nate Clements, etc.. and it will cost "x" dollars, Ralph will do it. History has proven this. He will pay big money for impact, not band-aids.

Dr. Lecter
01-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Great work Lawesome! You should post more often!

OpIv37
01-22-2007, 10:54 AM
this is exactly why he should NOT pay big money for Nate Clements. It's big money for not a lot of impact.

User Manuel
01-22-2007, 11:08 AM
this is exactly why he should NOT pay big money for Nate Clements. It's big money for not a lot of impact.

By the way, thanks Dr.

IV, I can live with that argument. It seems Nate's performance coincides directly with our Defensive Line. When we generated pressure the picks were there. For a top 5 guy at the CB position he needs to be a real shutdown guy and make plays when we DONT get the best pass rush.

I am not sure if Nate is or isn't that guy. I am leaning towards no. If he isn't then he shouldn't be paid huge money.

I don't think it is a coincidence that during Marv's coaching years though we started guys like Kirby Jackson.... I believe that Marv believes that a good pass rush can make average corners a lot better and that he is far more likely to look for guys to make the front 7 better before he pays Nate top 1- 5 money.

The good news is that if there was ever a year we could afford to pay him, this is it. It will be interesting to see.

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-22-2007, 01:28 PM
I think in this town once you have a reputation it sticks with you forever. In the 70s-80s Ralph was a cheap ass. I remember Joe Cribbs and his Buffalo Jail sign. If you live here you know better. It is like that with every player or coach that has been here. Ralph will always have the stigma of being cheap because he has been labeled that years ago. Just like Buffalo gets a lot of snow.

Think about the players that have done something wrong. For example OJ, everyone still thinks he is a murderer, oh wait, bad example.

User Manuel
01-22-2007, 02:21 PM
O.J. Simpson was accused of murder?:chair:

The_Philster
01-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Simply put...some people like to place blame whereever they can...even though it's in the wrong place. Ralph's not the GM and we are usually pretty close to the salary cap every year...it's a false accusation is all it is

YardRat
01-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Ralph's downfall hasn't been his unwillingness to spend money (at least not the last 15-20 years, because he has)...it's more a product of the GM's he given control to over the years.

The only decent GM we've had post-merger has been Polian. Hopefully Marv can be added to that short list.

SquishDaFish
01-22-2007, 03:11 PM
We all thought Donahoe would of been good but what do we all know LMAO. I believe Marv is the answer and we are showing the turn for the better already. I cant wait for next season already!

Mr. Cynical
01-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Ralph's downfall hasn't been his unwillingness to spend money (at least not the last 15-20 years, because he has)...it's more a product of the GM's he given control to over the years.

The only decent GM we've had post-merger has been Polian. Hopefully Marv can be added to that short list.

BINGO. His biggest mistake with the Buffalo Bills was firing Polian, plain and simple. I know there is some hoo-hah about behind the door conflicts but at what cost do you cut your nose off to spite your face? Polian is the best GM in football as he has created championship teams wherever he has gone. IMHO, we'd have a ring by now if he had not been let go.

Ancient history now though so hopefully Marv can do it. You all know my position on that front however. Hiring Dick will be his undoing IMHO.

dolphan117
01-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Not taking a stab at Ralph but I just don't know-Has he spent to the cap limit every year? To me that's a pretty big indication of whether or not a owner is cheap. And even if you don't spend to the cap as Clumpy has pointed out there is a loophole (that the Eagles use every year) to carry over unused cap space from one year to the next. If you feel that in a certain year there just inst anybody that is worth the money they are making and there are no young guys on the team that you want to extend to take advantage of cap space than at least you can carry over the space to the next year and use it then. I have no idea whether you guys have done this at all..... But IMO if Ralph (or anyone else) hasn't done one of those 2 things (spending to the cap limit, or carrying over the unused space) than that owner is being cheap.

The_Philster
01-22-2007, 04:53 PM
Simply put...some people like to place blame whereever they can...even though it's in the wrong place. Ralph's not the GM and we are usually pretty close to the salary cap every year...it's a false accusation is all it is

dolphan117
01-22-2007, 05:03 PM

I presently have the Bills $7,927,921 under an "adjusted" salary cap of $101,865,911 with $18,457,517 "dead cap". Recently, it's been reported that the Bills were in the $7.2 million range. My numbers include estimates on bonuses for a few of the 2006 draft picks and Peters extension. Obviously, Bills have plenty of cap space to resign or extend player(s).....I would like to see some of this used up. The other possibility is that the Bills have some LTBE/NLTBE tied up and will use the available cap space to cover them. This will then lead to a minimal cap adjustment on 2007
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=115301
Thats not spending very close to the cap.

HHURRICANE
01-22-2007, 05:12 PM
I'll make this easy for everyone under the age of 40. Ralph was a cheap ass in the 70's and 80's. Sitting through the Hank Bullough and Key Stevenson era's was not pretty. When Bill Polian came we caught "lightning in a bottle". The 3 way trade between the Colts, Rams and Bills that landed Bennett here was the start of many good things that forced Ralph to open up his wallet. Ralph didn't say "I'm going to spend to get us a Super Bowl" it just kind of happened.

This is a pivotal off season. Yes, Ralph has to prove to me and everyone on this board that he's serious about the product he's putting on the field. If he doesn't spend than the only thing forcing the Bills out of Buffalo is Mr. Wilson.

X-Era
01-22-2007, 05:37 PM
I am interested that so many here are quick to blame Ralph for not paying big money for free agents. I just don't see where it is an accurate statement.

I am curious as to where he has failed us.

I remember Bryce Paup, Thurman, Bruce, Jim Kelly, Moulds, etc.. All got their cash.

People were mad during the Donahoe era for Donahoe's fiscal control, but I recall him spending big money for Takeo, Villareal. These were Donahoe's decisons as were the releases early in his tenure of the big money guys. Ralph ponied up though.

As for Levy, granted he has yet to sign an impact free agent but this is not an unoriginal concept in the Patriots era.

What I am saying is that I have yet to hear where Ralph has said "no" to pursuit of a player if his football people have wanted to go after them.

I believethat if Marv says we need Lance Briggs or Nate Clements, etc.. and it will cost "x" dollars, Ralph will do it. History has proven this. He will pay big money for impact, not band-aids.

Your entire arguement can be summed up into one statement: None of us have actually heard Ralph say he wont pay THAT much for such and so a player.

That is a true statement. We do not know that Ralph was the one that kept us from spending money last year. We dont know that. It IS a fact that we went into the season between 10 and 15 mill UNDER the cap. And, at some level, our lack of enough talent lead to a 7 and 9 record again out of the playoffs.

Now, Ralph HAS said the we need better talent. Those were his words. Now, if that translates into us NOT spending up to the cap, and/or NOT getting any big name free agents, then the front office is solely to blame.

Ralph is the owner of this team, like it or not, Ralph will take blame if the talent isnt good enough and we dont spend up to the cap.

I dont want to hear about revenue sharing. If you cant make the money sell the team to someone who can.

The reason your not selling out ALL fo your games is because people arent buying what your selling. You need a change in your product line.

Levy, TD, whomever is to blame I dont care. They work for Ralph, hes the leader, and he takes the blame until he does what it takes, period.