PDA

View Full Version : Is the press taking this black coaches in SB too big of a deal and is it racist?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-22-2007, 11:15 PM
Everywhere I go these networks aren't talking about the SuperBowl they're talking about two black coaches ever to ever coach a SuperBowl. Some of my friends are black and they think that these networks are racist what do you guys think?

ublinkwescore
01-22-2007, 11:21 PM
Everywhere I go these networks aren't talking about the SuperBowl they're talking about two black coaches ever to ever coach a SuperBowl. Some of my friends are black and they think that these networks are racist what do you guys think?

I think it's overdone, and if the media really wants a world where people don't see color, they're taking a step back from that agenda. Acknowledge it, and then move on - I don't think anyone in this country that follows football at any level is unaware of this now - it is truely time for the media to move on.

PECKERWOOD
01-22-2007, 11:30 PM
I'm not trying to knock Lovie or Dungy because I would love to have either of them coach here, but honestly the media is over hyping this ****. But then again, when doesn't the media over hype things?

hammerbillsfan
01-22-2007, 11:32 PM
I work in the media, of course we overhype everything. :yucky:

LtFinFan66
01-23-2007, 12:16 AM
Not sure how it could possibly be considered racist:idunno:

texasphinsfan
01-23-2007, 12:31 AM
Not sure how it could possibly be considered racist:idunno:
i think its racist because it highlights a racial issue that no one cares about (other than the media).

its almost like affirmative action (which IS racist).

Look.... the owners of the teams do not hire guys because they are white... they hire guys that are promising talent and guys who can help them win.... doesn't matter the color of their skin.

The whole Rooney Rule crap is bull***** and i think is reverse discrimination. Let the guys interview who they want. There is nothing and no one that says white coaches are better than blacks.... it has nothing to do with the color of your skin.

If this was the 50's or 60's, i might buy your theory. but, i think in creating rules like this and blowing this out of proportion, the media is exacerbating it and keeping a dead issue alive.

ParanoidAndroid
01-23-2007, 12:32 AM
I think it's just a commentary on how African Americans are found more commonly in leadership roles as time goes on. It deserves recognition, but overblowing it might give it a "who woulda thought" connotation.

kernowboy
01-23-2007, 01:22 AM
No

All it does is highlight, that another wall has fallen in the battle for equality not determined by race.

Everytime something happens for the 1st time, it probably gains great attention.

However its good for the sport and society as a whole

texasphinsfan
01-23-2007, 01:30 AM
No

All it does is highlight, that another wall has fallen in the battle for equality not determined by race.

Everytime something happens for the 1st time, it probably gains great attention.

you don't think it draws attention to something that probably wouldn't have been noticed anyway? something that is a trivial fact, really, in the grand scheme of things.

I think this is highlighting the non-racism, but almost making it worse.

The media needs to understand that we don't have to over-compensate.... then again, i do realize it is the superbowl and there always has to be some sob-story

LifetimeBillsFan
01-23-2007, 02:31 AM
I work in the media, of course we overhype everything. :yucky:

Too true...unfortunately!

I think it's just a commentary on how African Americans are found more commonly in leadership roles as time goes on. It deserves recognition, but overblowing it might give it a "who woulda thought" connotation.

I agree.

I don't think that the media should make a big fuss about it, but it should be noted for what it is: a first, and as yet another reason why talent and ability should be the criteria used to determine who is selected to fill a given position.

No

I agree. It is a first and deserves some recognition on that basis--just as the Bills drafting James Harris to play QB for them was a first--but should also be seen as something that will soon no longer be something worth mentioning in the future--just as no one has even mentioned anything about JaMarcus Russell's race or the fact that he could very well be the first player and first QB selected in this year's draft.

And, yes, it is good for the sport and the society. There are kids playing football today who have no idea who Marlin Briscoe, James Harris or Doug Williams (and the Pittsburgh QB Gilliam--whose first name escapes me) are or what they did to open the doors for those who have followed them--and that's a good thing because it means that no one is questioning whether a player who isn't white can play QB anymore. In 20 years, the only things that anyone will think about when the names of Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith are mentioned will be which one beat the other in the Super Bowl and how many wins and Super Bowl rings they have--and that will be a good thing, too. While we're almost at a point where race doesn't matter in terms of who gets what jobs in sports anymore, it's still an issue for some in the larger society and, IMHO, if this helps just a few people to put that behind them, it can only be good for not just the game, but for society as a whole.

X-Era
01-23-2007, 07:17 AM

Not to big of a deal, its a landmark and should be celebrated as such.

However, Im just wondering when the male, caucasion, christian, heterosexual, american-american month is. My people deserve their own month too.

:respect:

Earthquake Enyart
01-23-2007, 07:20 AM
Hopefully, it brings attention to the NCAA, who does a terrible job at hiring minorities.

mybills
01-23-2007, 07:32 AM

True, but the only colors that matter in football are on the uniforms.
Watch which color uniform wins, then turn the attention to skin color.

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-23-2007, 08:24 AM
We all know the media and we all know that they take the PC stories and blow it all out of porportion. I personally don't care, I think Lovey Smith is a great football coach, good thing TD didn't pass on him.

OpIv37
01-23-2007, 08:43 AM
i think its racist because it highlights a racial issue that no one cares about (other than the media).

its almost like affirmative action (which IS racist).

Look.... the owners of the teams do not hire guys because they are white... they hire guys that are promising talent and guys who can help them win.... doesn't matter the color of their skin.

The whole Rooney Rule crap is bull***** and i think is reverse discrimination. Let the guys interview who they want. There is nothing and no one that says white coaches are better than blacks.... it has nothing to do with the color of your skin.

If this was the 50's or 60's, i might buy your theory. but, i think in creating rules like this and blowing this out of proportion, the media is exacerbating it and keeping a dead issue alive.

I don't think the Rooney Rule is reverse discrimination because it doesn't preclude teams from interviewing white coaches. If, say, the rule said that they could only interview 3 prospects and one had to be minority, you might have a point, but since they can interview as many as they want, there aren't any white guys out there who AREN'T getting interviewed because of the rule.

I do, however, think that the rule is derogatory. A lot of minority candidates get interviewed for show to meet the Rooney Rule requirement and it's just a charade- that's insulting.

I agree that the media cares more about it than most football fans or teams. There was a time when there was a color barrier for head coaches, but it's slowly faded away and I think the overwhelming majority of teams judge a coach on their merits and not their skin color.

The point is that the media will do whatever they can to get more viewers. If they think there are people out there who will watch the SB just because of the black coaches angle, they're going to hype it. If the Saints had won, it would be non-stop Katrina human interest stories. Hell, sometimes I think the media is just looking for something to talk about. The game is still 12 days away and there's only 2 teams involved- that's a lot of air time to fill.

DraftBoy
01-23-2007, 08:43 AM
I find the more interesting story line to be how good of friends these guys are, over the fact that they are black.

Earthquake Enyart
01-23-2007, 08:52 AM
I find the more interesting story line to be how good of friends these guys are, over the fact that they are black.
True. Black men usually aren't very friendly.

BillsNick
01-23-2007, 09:16 AM
Color doesn't matter anymore. This 2007, we're all AMERICANS.

ublinkwescore
01-23-2007, 09:48 AM
We've learned to fly the air like birds, we've learned to swim the seas like fish, and yet, we haven't learned to walk the earth as brothers and sisters.

- Martin Luther King

R. Rich
01-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Some of my friends are black ....

Mine too.

Dr. Lecter
01-23-2007, 10:04 AM
I don't think the Rooney Rule is reverse discrimination because it doesn't preclude teams from interviewing white coaches. If, say, the rule said that they could only interview 3 prospects and one had to be minority, you might have a point, but since they can interview as many as they want, there aren't any white guys out there who AREN'T getting interviewed because of the rule.

I do, however, think that the rule is derogatory. A lot of minority candidates get interviewed for show to meet the Rooney Rule requirement and it's just a charade- that's insulting.

What the rule does though, even for interviews that are only to meet the rule, is give guys experience interviewing. And that is a positive. It allows the minority coaches to be better prepared when they are a legit candidate.

Night Train
01-23-2007, 10:09 AM
The media may indeed be overhyping it but Smith and Dungy are both good stories, regardless of color. So seeing them getting good press doesn't bother me at all.

Don't forget, we could be drowning in the glory of Belichick and Brady right now. I'll take this anyday.

X-Era
01-23-2007, 11:12 AM
True. Black men usually aren't very friendly.

Yes, thats right, and they steal your stuff, and they dont work....and other stereotypical stuff.

But hey, white men cant jump, their arrogant, and they make all the money...except those ones that have blue collars and live in western NY.......like me.

Lets just laugh at the sillyness of being humans and trying to find differences in our differences.

texasphinsfan
01-23-2007, 11:18 AM

I agree that the media cares more about it than most football fans or teams. There was a time when there was a color barrier for head coaches, but it's slowly faded away and I think the overwhelming majority of teams judge a coach on their merits and not their skin color.

The point is that the media will do whatever they can to get more viewers. If they think there are people out there who will watch the SB just because of the black coaches angle, they're going to hype it. If the Saints had won, it would be non-stop Katrina human interest stories. Hell, sometimes I think the media is just looking for something to talk about. The game is still 12 days away and there's only 2 teams involved- that's a lot of air time to fill.

i agree. well said.

texasphinsfan
01-23-2007, 11:21 AM
Yes, thats right, and they steal your stuff, and they dont work....and other stereotypical stuff.

But hey, white men cant jump, their arrogant, and they make all the money...except those ones that have blue collars and live in western NY.......like me.

Lets just laugh at the sillyness of being humans and trying to find differences in our differences.
dont' forget white man can't dance either! ;) and they have small wee-wees.

i LOVE stereotypes. instead of being offended, i laugh. they make great humor.

R. Rich
01-23-2007, 11:45 AM
dont' forget white man can't dance either! ;) and they have small wee-wees.

i LOVE stereotypes. instead of being offended, i laugh. they make great humor.

Racist.

texasphinsfan
01-23-2007, 11:50 AM
lol. ;)

PECKERWOOD
01-23-2007, 01:26 PM
Color doesn't matter anymore. This 2007, we're all AMERICANS.

Man I wish color didn't matter, but unfortunately racism is still all around us coming from all sides and all forms. The media is a perfect demonstration of this. Honestly, I hope I live to see Martin Luther Kings dream fully fulfilled but I can confidently say that, that day is not today. We're getting close, but were not yet there..

texasphinsfan
01-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Man I wish color didn't matter, but unfortunately racism is still all around us coming from all sides and all forms. The media is a perfect demonstration of this. Honestly, I hope I live to see Martin Luther Kings dream fully fulfilled but I can confidently say that, that day is not today. We're getting close, but were not yet there..

i certainly agree that racism is exposed in many facets of life - always will be.

BUT, that said, i don't think NFL head coaching circles is one of them. Owners want to win, and they are not sitting there saying "i must have a white coach"... they just hire whomever has the most promise or appeal. I will agree that minorities may not have the opportunities that "whites" do there, but i don't think the rooney rule will change that - just time.

X-Era
01-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Racist.

No kidding, Im offended by his small wee wee comment. Im offended because offended people get special days and they get talked about alot. Thats why I think its worth it to be offended.

If having a small dinger means I get my own day, it might be worth it. As for now, Id be the last guy on earth to have my own day....Hubba Hubba :dance:

HHURRICANE
01-23-2007, 06:36 PM
The head coaches are black?

Bling
01-23-2007, 07:08 PM

R.Rich thinks you're a liar.

Ingtar33
01-23-2007, 08:32 PM
two words.

white guilt.

since white guilt is by definition racist (as in the idea that racism is a stain we all bear, generation after generation, therefore allowing a liberal elite mindset to self congratulate itself for an "enlightened" attitude, in these days and times, which allows them to associate, through empathy with the downtrodden minority... this moral superiority, allows them to preach about the evils of our fathers, tainting their sons, and interestingly allows these so called illuminaries, to practice a form of corrosive moral superiority over the rest of society while operating as titular mouth pieces, a protective father figure for the very same minority they will not allow into their newsrooms as co-workers unless forced at gunpoint. White guilt is the modern incarnation of the 19th century concept of 'the white man's burden'*), yes, this is racist.

*note, sports newsrooms, in both paper and tv, are the most homogeneously white workplaces in America, and amusingly, about as liberal, in political outlook as you can find in the media

cordog
01-23-2007, 08:55 PM
Skin color accounts for LESS than 1% of your biological make-up. The size of your liver means more than your skin color. It just shows how shallow and stupid we are as a society. Things are getting better day by day, but there is a long way to go.

LifetimeBillsFan
01-24-2007, 04:43 AM
....If having a small dinger means I get my own day, it might be worth it. As for now, Id be the last guy on earth to have my own day....Hubba Hubba :dance:

Now there's a group that needs to have it's own month, not just a day! :lol:

Skin color accounts for LESS than 1% of your biological make-up. The size of your liver means more than your skin color. It just shows how shallow and stupid we are as a society. Things are getting better day by day, but there is a long way to go.

Too true. A certain amount of prejudice (fear of those who are not like us/our group) has been hard-wired into the human brain, but we need to use the other, more logical parts of our brains, to recognize that and get beyond it so that we can work together to deal with the things that are important to our survival and welfare as human beings now.

Laughter and humor are also hard-wired into our brains (although you wouldn't know that by me!) and are tools that we shouldn't be afraid to use to do that.

MikeInRoch
01-24-2007, 08:07 AM
I don't think it should be as big a story as it is, and here's why:

This accomplishment is based on something totally within each of their controls. They both are extremely good Head Coaches, and completely deserve accolades for getting their teams to the Super Bowl.

Becoming a head coach, however, is not based on something that is within their control. It's based on overcoming biases of the owners/GMs in the league.

Once you are a Head Coach, there is no bias to overcome to take your team deep into the playoffs. So it's a great story as far as for good they are as coaches, but not so great as being a racial trailblazer. The 'trailblazer' story was more appropriate when they were hired.

DynaPaul
01-24-2007, 04:33 PM
I think it's really a non-story but I ain't complaining. We could be hearing about genius Belichick and wonder boy Brady. I'm just glad I don't have to hear that. I'll listen to any stupid story the media wants to hype up for the next two weeks.

texasphinsfan
01-24-2007, 04:49 PM
there is a lot of GREAT posts in this thread. for the most part, i think we're all on the same page.