PDA

View Full Version : Sources say NHL to drop divisional-heavy format

Ebenezer
01-23-2007, 03:43 AM
:rolleyes:

The NHL will never get it...obstruction is up and now this?? They don't want to improve the game for the fans...it was a stunt to bring fans back...as soon as they saw what happened to salaries they turtled...the Sabres better win it all this year - the old NHL is on it's way.

DALLAS -- The NHL's board of governors will meet here Tuesday morning and sources indicate the league will put to bed the thorny of issue of its schedule by returning next season to the pre-lockout format.

That would see teams drop from the current eight divisional games to six, with four games against each conference opponent outside the division. Each team would then play each team in the other conference at least once, more depending on traditional rivalries.

If the schedule issue is indeed resolved, there will be much rejoicing throughout hockey that such a ponderous topic will be put to rest at least until next season, when GMs and coaches complain that all the out-of-conference games are diluting the product.

The schedule issue was debated back in early December, when the board last met in Palm Beach, Fla. It was then believed that 27 teams wanted some change and did not want to see more divisional play. That sentiment was especially strong in the West, where it was believed the East teams enjoyed an easier travel schedule.

The Eastern teams were also perceived to have cornered the market on marketable young stars such as Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Alexander Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals and Thomas Vanek of the Buffalo Sabres.

Many believed that the pre-lockout format would boost attendance for those West teams who don't get to market such big stars as often as East teams.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2739579

LtFinFan66
01-23-2007, 03:47 AM
If they want interest back in the game they need bra-less cheerleaders skating around the ice :up:

Mitchy moo
01-23-2007, 07:13 AM
If they want interest back in the game they need bra-less cheerleaders skating around the ice :up:

Hockey will end up being the most popular sport on the planet, right after the ice age.

Earthquake Enyart
01-23-2007, 07:22 AM
The Canadians want to see Sidney Crosby. :blah:

Problem is that they haven't realized that they are going to see Nashville and Columbus too. :puke:

eyedog
01-23-2007, 08:38 AM
If they let the obstruction back into the game the league will head right back into the gutter.

mchurchfie
01-23-2007, 08:44 AM
If they let the obstruction back into the game the league will head right back into the gutter.
It has already eased it's way back into the game. I don't mind them changing the schedule format, I'm getting tired of Ottawa, Montreal, and Toronto beating us up lately.

RockStar36
01-23-2007, 09:01 AM
I think they are doing it so everyone gets to see the good teams. You guys can't honestly say you wouldn't want to see Buffalo and Anaheim face off sometime before June.

Earthquake Enyart
01-23-2007, 09:02 AM
I think they are doing it so everyone gets to see the good teams. You guys can't honestly say you wouldn't want to see Buffalo and Anaheim face off sometime before June.
You gonna buy tickets for Nashville or Columbus?

RockStar36
01-23-2007, 09:06 AM
I would for Nashville. Right now they are the best team in the league and a good matchup. Columbus? Probably not. But it goes w/ the territory of this kind of scheduling.

Michael82
01-23-2007, 10:38 AM
I agree. I think that this schedule would have worked better if they split the games apart a bit. But they have Buffalo playing Carolina all in the beginning of the year and nothing after. It was loaded in some places and not balanced enough. by adding more teams to the mix, we will be able to see a change of pace and see how our team can do against Nashville, or Anaheim. :up:

RockStar36
01-23-2007, 10:51 AM
I think when making a schedule for all the teams there is bound to be screw ups all over the place. Maybe they were a little to excited to have Buffalo and Carolina re-match that they loaded up those games early on.

Earthquake Enyart
01-23-2007, 11:08 AM
I agree. I think that this schedule would have worked better if they split the games apart a bit. But they have Buffalo playing Carolina all in the beginning of the year and nothing after. It was loaded in some places and not balanced enough. by adding more teams to the mix, we will be able to see a change of pace and see how our team can do against Nashville, or Anaheim. :up:
You're going to have home games against teams that you don't want to see.

The way the schedule is now minimizes this.

RockStar36
01-23-2007, 11:43 AM
But you'll also have home games against teams we don't get to see.

chernobylwraiths
01-23-2007, 11:52 AM
I can't post the link, but the NHL decided against changing the schedule. It is on ESPN.

Earthquake Enyart
01-23-2007, 12:41 PM
Good.

SabreEleven
01-23-2007, 02:56 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2740152

Michael82
01-23-2007, 02:58 PM
I can't post the link, but the NHL decided against changing the schedule. It is on ESPN.
I'm okay with that, as long as it's more balanced than this season. I don't want to see Carolina and Montreal all in the first couple months, especially when we don't play Toronto and Boston until later. They need to mix it up a bit.

chernobylwraiths
01-23-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm okay with that, as long as it's more balanced than this season. I don't want to see Carolina and Montreal all in the first couple months, especially when we don't play Toronto and Boston until later. They need to mix it up a bit.

Well, look at it this way. Buffalo may play a much harder schedule than say New Jersey who get to play Philly 8 times while we play them only 4 times. Or look at Nashville whose only real hard game in their division is Detroit while the get to play St. Louis, Columbus and Chicago. If anything, the NHL should have conferences play their games an equal amount of time and forget even having divisions since they basically scrub the divisions for the playoffs and divisions mean nothing after the first round of the playoffs. It rewards a good team from an incredibly weak division.

Ebenezer
01-23-2007, 05:21 PM
Personally, I like the concept of back to back or trio games (they tried a couple of them last year)...

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-23-2007, 10:13 PM
I think I got it, could it be possible that the NHL made up these schedules because it costs more to fly these days and the NHL wants to cut down the costs of flying.

SabreEleven
01-23-2007, 11:44 PM

Noooooooooooooooo, that means Phil will start going to hockey games...........I can't handle any more Phil-Cheerleader saga.

:snicker: