PDA

View Full Version : For those people who thinks it will be easy to replace Clements

BillsFever21
01-23-2007, 08:35 AM
We can always bring in Fred Thomas from the Saints. He did one hell of a job this season. Especially in the playoffs.

It's not easy to find top tier CB's. The NFL has turned into a league of a lot of good QB's, WR's and top threat passing games. If you don't have a top CB to stop all the high level passing attacks then you will end up with somebody like Fred Thomas as your starting CB.

Carlton Bailey
01-23-2007, 08:42 AM
I agree. I've also seen a lot of people saying things like, "If we lose Clements, we can sign Asante Samuel."

Um, no. Samuel picked off 11 passes this year, Clements 3. I'm pretty sure Samuel will demand equal or more money.

Ickybaluky
01-23-2007, 08:45 AM
Just to play devils advocate...

CB in the Tampa-2 don't need to be great in man-to-man coverage or have great top speed. Because the S play a 2-deep zone the majority of the time, the CB knows he has help over the top. In the Tampa-2, the CB need have great short-area quickness and be good tacklers (since they have run-force responsibilities). They need to be physical and quick, and to a good job anticipating routes and playing smart.

One of the reasons Fred Thomas got so exposed in the Saints defense is because they are a more agressive blitzing team that leaves their CB in man coverage more often, out-on-an-island as they say. The Tampa-2 does not do that.

In fact, Tony Dungy always felt he could get good cover-2 CB in the mid-rounds of the draft, because he didn't need to look for guys with the great 40-times. He wanted great athletes, but straight-line speed wasn't as important because the S would be there to help over the top on deep routes. The best cover-2 CB Dungy ever had was Ronde Barber, who he was able to get in the 3rd round because Barber did not have top-notch 40-times.

DraftBoy
01-23-2007, 08:49 AM

CB in the Tampa-2 don't need to be great in man-to-man coverage or have great top speed. Because the S play a 2-deep zone the majority of the time, the CB knows he has help over the top. In the Tampa-2, the CB need have great short-area quickness and be good tacklers (since they have run-force responsibilities). They need to be physical and quick, and to a good job anticipating routes and playing smart.

One of the reasons Fred Thomas got so exposed in the Saints defense is because they are a more agressive blitzing team that leaves their CB in man coverage more often, out-on-an-island as they say. The Tampa-2 does not do that.

In fact, Tony Dungy always felt he could get good cover-2 CB in the mid-rounds of the draft, because he didn't need to look for guys with the great 40-times. He wanted great athletes, but straight-line speed wasn't as important because the S would be there to help over the top on deep routes. The best cover-2 CB Dungy ever had was Ronde Barber, who he was able to get in the 3rd round because Barber did not have top-notch 40-times.

Hello Daymeian Hughes!

OpIv37
01-23-2007, 09:09 AM
First, it doesn't matter how hard or easy it is to replace him- it's something that has to be done because we WILL be outbid for Clements' services.

Second, the mistake here is the assumption that Clements is a top-tier CB. The guy had like 5 or 6 good games out of the last 32, and easily twice as many really bad ones. The guy is simply not "top tier" enough to risk hosing the cap and not fixing the DL cuz of his contract.

jamze132
01-23-2007, 09:25 AM

Intersting look. I agree. Maybe Youboty will be able to step in and somewhat fill the shoes if Clements leaves. And us having two safeties that played in their first season side by side almost from the beginning helps too.

Earthquake Enyart
01-23-2007, 09:27 AM
I think we draft a CB in round 1 :couch:

The_Philster
01-23-2007, 03:29 PM
If Nate leaves, I'd say we could almost count on it

kernowboy
01-23-2007, 03:42 PM
I disagree

The tampa2 means it is not a necessary opinion. R1 goes to the DL or the LB corps.

We will not waste a high pick without seeing what we have in Youboty - he has a 1st round grade and IMO was the equal of Hughes. Only if a top CB experiences a similar slide might be grab one if it looks good when checked against our value board.

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted someone like Jonathan Wade or Travarous Bain at the start of Day2

texasphinsfan
01-23-2007, 03:45 PM
are you guys serious? you don't want Fred Thomas... he was one of the weak links on the Saints D.... in fact he is the guy teams throw to, to beat the Saints deep.

you don't want him, trust me!

ZacGriffi~82
01-23-2007, 03:56 PM
He was being sarcastic.

texasphinsfan
01-23-2007, 04:16 PM
He was being sarcastic.
ahhh.... see i don't know all you guys yet. thanks for saving me some face there, lol

ShadowHawk7
01-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Don't worry Texas, I thought he was serious too for awhile and was mentally preparing to blast him in a reply.

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Quick, name the four starting cornerbacks in the Superbowl.

Tatonka
01-23-2007, 11:07 PM

:rofl:

great point ghost.. great point.

patmoran2006
01-24-2007, 10:26 AM
Losing Clements wont hurt a lot IF and ONLY if they use that money and upgrade two spots on the front seven.

eyedog
01-24-2007, 10:38 AM
Who exactly is playing our Simeon Rice, Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, Booger McFarland, John Lynch, Rhonde Barber, Quarrels in our Tampa-2 ?

Earthquake Enyart
01-24-2007, 01:09 PM
You don't know their names when you don't see their backs chasing receivers into the end zone.

The_Philster
01-24-2007, 02:51 PM
You don't know their names when you don't see their backs chasing receivers into the end zone.
Good point. Thomas Smith wasn't known by fans as a big name CB...but QBs rarely threw to his side

PECKERWOOD
01-24-2007, 05:16 PM
I have hopes that Marv can make some trades happen so we can acquire more 1st day choices. Just take a look at New England - Do you honestly see them resigning Asante Samuel? **** no. They are going to draft his replacement THIS year and the Bills should do the same for Clements.