Forked Thread: Is the press taking this black coaches in SB too big of a deal and is it racist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Forked Thread: Is the press taking this black coaches in SB too big of a deal and is it racist?

Forked from: Is the press taking this black coaches in SB too big of a deal and is it racist?

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    What the rule does though, even for interviews that are only to meet the rule, is give guys experience interviewing. And that is a positive. It allows the minority coaches to be better prepared when they are a legit candidate.
    Two questions I have about the Rooney Rule...

Why doesn't it apply to the hiring process of general managers as well, and how soon before 'the story' becomes the lack of minorities in charge of front offices around the league?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • Bling
    • Jul 2004

Re: Forked Thread: Is the press taking this black coaches in SB too big of a deal and is it racist?

Originally posted by YardRat
    Forked from: Is the press taking this black coaches in SB too big of a deal and is it racist?

Why doesn't it apply to the hiring process of general managers as well, and how soon before 'the story' becomes the lack of minorities in charge of front offices around the league?
    Racist. Why you holding my people down?

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Re: Forked Thread: Is the press taking this black coaches in SB too big of a deal and is it racist?

Why doesn't it apply to the hiring process of general managers as well
      Read it again, Blingy.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• Scumbag College
        • Oct 2002

I think no one is coming out about GMs because they aren't as visible as the head coach.

For example, off the top of your head can you name the head coach of the Carolina Panthers? How about the GM of the Panthers?

I don't think we're going to see a big push for minority GMs in the near future, if ever. I don't think it's as relevant to push for minority candidates for GM as it is the head coach position. The GM doesn't have nearly as much contact with the players in comparison with the head coach, whom are primarly minorities.
        Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Re: Forked Thread: Is the press taking this black coaches in SB too big of a deal and

Originally posted by Scumbag College
          The GM doesn't have nearly as much contact with the players in comparison with the head coach, whom are primarly minorities.
          that's exactly it right there.

The majority of coaches are ex-players, and even though there are as many if not more black players, the opposite trend exists in coaching.

A GM is more of an executive position- football knowledge is essential but so are managerial and budgeting skills. There isn't much of a direct link to the players like there is with coaching.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Aug 2004

I don't know if the rule applies to GMs or assistant GMs, but the NY Giants just hired a black GM, Jerry Reese, who was their personnel director under Ernie Accorsi. I don't think that got much press outside of the NYC area--which may support SC's first point about it not being as high profile a position with fans and the media as a head coaching job is. Also, there have been blacks in the league front office and around the league--not in the top jobs, yet--for some time now (Gene Washington was (is?) in charge of league discipline for a number of years--it was a story when he got the job because I believe he was the first black man to have a position of authority in the league office). Maybe that's why Reese's hiring hasn't gotten much attention (also, the NY Giants are not the kind of organization that likes to play up to the media for attention--the Mara and Tisch families are classier than that).
            Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

So the issue really is about visibility, not equal opportunity?
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• Scumbag College
                • Oct 2002

So the issue really is about visibility, not equal opportunity?
                Like pretty much everything else in the NFL, it is all about image.
                Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

If 'image' is enhanced by having minorities in head coaching positions, wouldn't it be further enhanced by having them as GM, team president, director of player personnel, etc, etc, ?
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• jamze132
                    Don’t hate…
                    • Jun 2003

Man, there sure are a lot of black coaches now!

Comment

Working...
                    X