PDA

View Full Version : Youboty serves as Bills' defensive wild card

The_Philster
01-24-2007, 04:14 AM
Assuming Buffalo loses Clements, it would immediately scramble to find a replacement. The void won't be filled by No. 2 CB Terrence McGee, who struggled mightily this past season. Nor will the role be taken up by veteran Kiwaukee Thomas, who is also a free agent. Instead, the Bills might throw their proverbial eggs into soon-to-be second-year man Ashton Youboty's basket. more (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/01/bills-youboty-wildcard240107.html)

Night Train
01-24-2007, 04:33 AM
They might as well give him his shot. Any Rookie CB is going to take his lumps in his first year of starting. Spending another high pick on a CB would be dumb, with all our other needs this off-season. Throw him in there.

During his college career, he would always bite on the hitch and go as a Soph. He learned. As a Junior, he was a far better CB and also made several big plays on ST's.. like laying out and blocking a FG against Mich. St., scooping it up and taking it 84 yards for a TD.

While we won't pay a Clements or a Samuel, we can still find an experienced vet in FA.

Our Front 7 on D is what we need to concentrate on this off-season.

jamze132
01-24-2007, 06:21 AM
They might as well give him his shot. Any Rookie CB is going to take his lumps in his first year of starting. Spending another high pick on a CB would be dumb, with all our other needs this off-season. Throw him in there.

During his college career, he would always bite on the hitch and go as a Soph. He learned. As a Junior, he was a far better CB and also made several big plays on ST's.. like laying out and blocking a FG against Mich. St., scooping it up and taking it 84 yards for a TD.

While we won't pay a Clements or a Samuel, we can still find an experienced vet in FA.

Our Front 7 on D is what we need to concentrate on this off-season.
I agree. I think Youboty will be just fine in time and it won;t hurt to sign a stop gap veteran for a year and let Youboty play the nickle, if Thomas leaves.

I agree that we need to replace Fletcher with someone bigger, stronger, and faster. And oh yeah, Tim Anderson must go.

kernowboy
01-24-2007, 06:42 AM
I agree. I think Youboty will be just fine in time and it won;t hurt to sign a stop gap veteran for a year and let Youboty play the nickle, if Thomas leaves.

I agree that we need to replace Fletcher with someone bigger, stronger, and faster. And oh yeah, Tim Anderson must go.

Heck, it seems we are all in agreement. I'm sure we need someone bigger than Fletcher, but he needs to be stronger and he needs to be younger. London will only have so much left in the tank.

Drafting a CB would seem foolish unless we know what we have with Ashton. Though he slid and then did not get much playing time as a rookie, before wasting a high pick on someone else, we need to see if Youboty can step up. A young vet like Ahmed Carroll or Mike Rumph who could help out wouldn't hurt.

Again the DT 1-tackle needs with work with help for Kyle. First choice would be Okoye but we may also look at Harrell and Carter from Virginia

Earthquake Enyart
01-24-2007, 06:56 AM
I think they know what they have since Youbouty was inactive almost every game. This Youbouty love is senseless.

I think we draft CB in the first round.

Jan Reimers
01-24-2007, 07:26 AM
Youboty was considered to be a first rounder before last year's draft. He missed much of the preseason because of his mother's death, and had veteran guys in front of him.

I think he will be given every opportunity to win a starting CB job, and I think he has a good chance of doing it.

I would love to see us fill holes on the D and O lines, LB, WR, TE and FB rather than spending a high draft pick or big FA dollars on a CB.

jamze132
01-24-2007, 07:30 AM
Yeah I really don't want to spend another pick on a DB this year. We should try and focus on stopping the run and getting a better pass rush, even thoough, statisticaly speaking, it was pretty good this past season.

THATHURMANATOR
01-24-2007, 07:37 AM
Assuming Buffalo loses Clements, it would immediately scramble to find a replacement. The void won't be filled by No. 2 CB Terrence McGee, who struggled mightily this past season. Nor will the role be taken up by veteran Kiwaukee Thomas, who is also a free agent. Instead, the Bills might throw their proverbial eggs into soon-to-be second-year man Ashton Youboty's basket. more (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/01/bills-youboty-wildcard240107.html)
It would be ubsurd for a team 35 million under the cap to give the job to a second year man who was inactive for almost his entire rookie season. I would not be happy.

Earthquake Enyart
01-24-2007, 07:41 AM
It would be ubsurd for a team 35 million under the cap to give the job to a second year man who was inactive for almost his entire rookie season. I would not be happy.
Me neither. I don't get all this Youbouty love.

HHURRICANE
01-24-2007, 07:42 AM
I think they know what they have since Youbouty was inactive almost every game. This Youbouty love is senseless.

Youboty didn't get drafted so he could be a backup in year two. He'll be starting and I guarantee that we will not spend a draft pick on a CB. He sat early because of his Mom's death and quite honestly who was he coming in to replace? Clements? We were still in the playoff hunt in Week 16.

Youboty will be better than fine. He was a projected first rounder. Unless the kid can't operate without his mother being alive he'll be fine.

WE NEED A MONSTER PASS RUSH! With brady in our division that is the only way we get out of the AFC East. Brady is too good. We could have Champ Bailey, Clements and Samuel all on the field at the same time and Brady will still pick us apart. A PASS RUSH and run stopping D is what causes mistakes.

Ickybaluky
01-24-2007, 07:49 AM
WE NEED A MONSTER PASS RUSH! With brady in our division that is the only way we get out of the AFC East. Brady is too good. We could have Champ Bailey, Clements and Samuel all on the field at the same time and Brady will still pick us apart. A PASS RUSH and run stopping D is what causes mistakes.

That does make the most sense. I think the most important thing with a Tampa-2 defense is having a DL that can control the LOS and pressure the passer. You need to be able to get pressure on the passer with the front 4, and not have to blitz. Then you can play zone behind that and have your back 7 flow to the ball and tackle well.

Saratoga Slim
01-24-2007, 08:16 AM
Youboty didn't get drafted so he could be a backup in year two. He'll be starting and I guarantee that we will not spend a draft pick on a CB. He sat early because of his Mom's death and quite honestly who was he coming in to replace? Clements? We were still in the playoff hunt in Week 16.

Youboty will be better than fine. He was a projected first rounder. Unless the kid can't operate without his mother being alive he'll be fine.

My concern is that Youboty didn't even dress for half the games. Sure, he's not going to start in front of Clements, McGee, or maybe even Kiwaukee Thomas, but you'd think if he was going to be next year's starter he'd at least be able to wrap up the #4 CB spot.

HHURRICANE
01-24-2007, 08:31 AM
That does make the most sense. I think the most important thing with a Tampa-2 defense is having a DL that can control the LOS and pressure the passer. You need to be able to get pressure on the passer with the front 4, and not have to blitz. Then you can play zone behind that and have your back 7 flow to the ball and tackle well.

Good post.

THATHURMANATOR
01-24-2007, 08:48 AM
Youboty starting will be a freaking DISASTER!!!! A huge step back for the defense IMO.

Earthquake Enyart
01-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Without looking, can anyone tell me what number he is?

THATHURMANATOR
01-24-2007, 08:50 AM

Romes
01-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Without looking, can anyone tell me what number he is?

26 I know that cause he took winfield's number

Youboty isn't the answer at CB. Neither is McGee at #1. But if we can stop the run we may be able to get away with average corner play.

THATHURMANATOR
01-24-2007, 08:59 AM
We need another top flight corner.. Youboty should be talked about as possibly replacing Mcgee, who was TERRIBLE last season, but not as a #1... It is ridiculous talk.

Statman
01-24-2007, 09:15 AM
Based on what, specifically?

Night Train
01-24-2007, 10:20 AM
After drafting 3 DB's last year, we should draft another one high this year. Sharp thinking. That's something the Detroit Lions would do.

Last I checked, you build from the lines out on both sides of the ball, or doesn't that work well in the Madden game world ?

Stop the run and apply pressure with your front 7. That's how you win on Defense.

eyedog
01-24-2007, 10:27 AM
One problem, where is this big pass rush going to come from to cover up for the below average corners ? Schobel has about 6-7 good games a year where he will get ten of his sacks, then who ? You think we are signing Freeney ? LOL, keep dreaming.
So we will have a below average pass rush with below average corners. I hope the offense can put up 30 a game.

camelcowboy
01-24-2007, 11:12 AM
If they don't want to pay the corner on their roster now then i hope part of it has to do with scheme. I would be upset if we drafted a corner in the top two rounds. Spend the money on the fronts for offense and defense. Though i don't know about youbouty i do think a veteran corner for a year would be affective stop gap in a zone defense.

Mahdi
01-24-2007, 01:19 PM
I say go with Youboty and sign another vet CB like Ricky Manning Jr. Let them play it out.... the top 2 start, third comes in on nickel.

HHURRICANE
01-24-2007, 01:31 PM
I say go with Youboty and sign another vet CB like Ricky Manning Jr. Let them play it out.... the top 2 start, third comes in on nickel.

I agree 100% and I believe OBD agrees with you as well. I'd be surprised with any other outcome.

Mahdi
01-24-2007, 01:40 PM
I agree 100% and I believe OBD agrees with you as well. I'd be surprised with any other outcome.
Ricky Manning wouldnt come too expensive either, plus he has Cover 2 experience with Chicago and he actually had 5 picks this year and has always been a playmaker.

Earthquake Enyart
01-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Ricky Manning is not a FA.

HHURRICANE
01-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Youboty starting will be a freaking DISASTER!!!! A huge step back for the defense IMO.

Our 4th rounder played all year as the starter. Our 3rd rounder (who was an excellent player in college and a roomate of our starting SS) can't be a good starter. Why? Give me a good reason.

HHURRICANE
01-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Ricky Manning is not a FA.

Insert your own vet becasue Youboty is going to be the starter. Guaranteed.

kernowboy
01-24-2007, 02:12 PM

Burris and Thomas Smith didn't get much game time in their first seasons I think. Drafting another CB to throw to the wolves in R1 when we have a youngster who carried into the draft a R1 grade and has an entire year to quietly learn the system he will be playing in seems foolhardy in the extreme and a waste of a R1 pick. By all means grab a falling guy in R3 or at the start of Day2 but not before

ParanoidAndroid
01-24-2007, 02:36 PM
McGee was a liability at times this season. Are we satisfied with him at corner? If not, then we need 2.
Scary.

ZacGriffi~82
01-24-2007, 02:36 PM
The reason McGee struggled mightily last year was because Simpson struggled mightiliy.

ParanoidAndroid
01-24-2007, 02:41 PM
The reason McGee struggled mightily last year was because Simpson struggled mightiliy.

Remember the McGee interview? He admitted he was blowing it, not that he wasn't stepping it up because of the poor safety play, but just blew it on several plays. He was asked the question because it was plain as day.

ZacGriffi~82
01-24-2007, 03:03 PM
Plain as day because the saftey wasn't getting over.

The_Philster
01-24-2007, 03:06 PM
Burris and Thomas Smith didn't get much game time in their first seasons I think. Drafting another CB to throw to the wolves in R1 when we have a youngster who carried into the draft a R1 grade and has an entire year to quietly learn the system he will be playing in seems foolhardy in the extreme and a waste of a R1 pick. By all means grab a falling guy in R3 or at the start of Day2 but not before
actually, Burris and T Smith each played nickel their rookie years before taking over as starter the following year replacing a departed free agent
Smith for Nate Odomes
Burris for Mickey Washington
Winfield did the same thing the year before T Smith departed for Chicago

The reason McGee struggled mightily last year was because Simpson struggled mightiliy.I think there's some truth to that statement....and not because of Simpson's play as FS..but because he didn't have the experience to know his alignments as well. It might be different in the Cover Two, but in other defensive systems, the FS is responsible for making sure the CBs are aligned properly. While Troy Vincent may not have been as physically able to play FS (and I do think that's a touch overblown), he had something that Simpson lacked...the experience to know what to do.

ParanoidAndroid
01-24-2007, 03:14 PM
Plain as day because the saftey wasn't getting over.

It's not all McGee's fault and it's not all Simpson's fault.
McGee wasn't turning and running with good WR's, and Simpson was late reacting.

THATHURMANATOR
01-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Burris and Thomas Smith didn't get much game time in their first seasons I think.
You think or you know? Besides they were first rounders remember.

THATHURMANATOR
01-24-2007, 03:24 PM
After drafting 3 DB's last year, we should draft another one high this year. Sharp thinking. That's something the Detroit Lions would do.

Last I checked, you build from the lines out on both sides of the ball, or doesn't that work well in the Madden game world ?

Stop the run and apply pressure with your front 7. That's how you win on Defense.
Didn't say they should draft another one high, BUT they better bring in a veteran replacement then.

The_Philster
01-24-2007, 03:24 PM
You think or you know? Besides they were first rounders remember.
He doesn't know...I already disputed his statement ;)

ShadowHawk7
01-24-2007, 10:37 PM
I think if we grab Harper if available, it'll be good Youboty insurance. KT, McGee, YOuboty and Harper would be good enough in any order; if we can fix the lines.