X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Youboty serves as Bills' defensive wild card

Assuming Buffalo loses Clements, it would immediately scramble to find a replacement. The void won't be filled by No. 2 CB Terrence McGee, who struggled mightily this past season. Nor will the role be taken up by veteran Kiwaukee Thomas, who is also a free agent. Instead, the Bills might throw their proverbial eggs into soon-to-be second-year man Ashton Youboty's basket. more
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Youboty serves as Bills' defensive wild card

They might as well give him his shot. Any Rookie CB is going to take his lumps in his first year of starting. Spending another high pick on a CB would be dumb, with all our other needs this off-season. Throw him in there.

During his college career, he would always bite on the hitch and go as a Soph. He learned. As a Junior, he was a far better CB and also made several big plays on ST's.. like laying out and blocking a FG against Mich. St., scooping it up and taking it 84 yards for a TD.

While we won't pay a Clements or a Samuel, we can still find an experienced vet in FA.

Our Front 7 on D is what we need to concentrate on this off-season.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• jamze132
      Don’t hate…
      • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Night Train
      They might as well give him his shot. Any Rookie CB is going to take his lumps in his first year of starting. Spending another high pick on a CB would be dumb, with all our other needs this off-season. Throw him in there.

During his college career, he would always bite on the hitch and go as a Soph. He learned. As a Junior, he was a far better CB and also made several big plays on ST's.. like laying out and blocking a FG against Mich. St., scooping it up and taking it 84 yards for a TD.

While we won't pay a Clements or a Samuel, we can still find an experienced vet in FA.

Our Front 7 on D is what we need to concentrate on this off-season.
      I agree. I think Youboty will be just fine in time and it won;t hurt to sign a stop gap veteran for a year and let Youboty play the nickle, if Thomas leaves.

I agree that we need to replace Fletcher with someone bigger, stronger, and faster. And oh yeah, Tim Anderson must go.

Comment

Originally posted by jamze132
        I agree. I think Youboty will be just fine in time and it won;t hurt to sign a stop gap veteran for a year and let Youboty play the nickle, if Thomas leaves.

I agree that we need to replace Fletcher with someone bigger, stronger, and faster. And oh yeah, Tim Anderson must go.
        Heck, it seems we are all in agreement. I'm sure we need someone bigger than Fletcher, but he needs to be stronger and he needs to be younger. London will only have so much left in the tank.

Drafting a CB would seem foolish unless we know what we have with Ashton. Though he slid and then did not get much playing time as a rookie, before wasting a high pick on someone else, we need to see if Youboty can step up. A young vet like Ahmed Carroll or Mike Rumph who could help out wouldn't hurt.

Again the DT 1-tackle needs with work with help for Kyle. First choice would be Okoye but we may also look at Harrell and Carter from Virginia

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
          Legendary Zoner
          • Jul 2002

I think they know what they have since Youbouty was inactive almost every game. This Youbouty love is senseless.

I think we draft CB in the first round.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
            • May 2003

Youboty was considered to be a first rounder before last year's draft. He missed much of the preseason because of his mother's death, and had veteran guys in front of him.

I think he will be given every opportunity to win a starting CB job, and I think he has a good chance of doing it.

I would love to see us fill holes on the D and O lines, LB, WR, TE and FB rather than spending a high draft pick or big FA dollars on a CB.
            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• jamze132
              Don’t hate…
              • Jun 2003

Yeah I really don't want to spend another pick on a DB this year. We should try and focus on stopping the run and getting a better pass rush, even thoough, statisticaly speaking, it was pretty good this past season.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The_Philster
                Assuming Buffalo loses Clements, it would immediately scramble to find a replacement. The void won't be filled by No. 2 CB Terrence McGee, who struggled mightily this past season. Nor will the role be taken up by veteran Kiwaukee Thomas, who is also a free agent. Instead, the Bills might throw their proverbial eggs into soon-to-be second-year man Ashton Youboty's basket. more
                It would be ubsurd for a team 35 million under the cap to give the job to a second year man who was inactive for almost his entire rookie season. I would not be happy.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                  It would be ubsurd for a team 35 million under the cap to give the job to a second year man who was inactive for almost his entire rookie season. I would not be happy.
                  Me neither. I don't get all this Youbouty love.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                    I think they know what they have since Youbouty was inactive almost every game. This Youbouty love is senseless.

I think we draft CB in the first round.
                    Youboty didn't get drafted so he could be a backup in year two. He'll be starting and I guarantee that we will not spend a draft pick on a CB. He sat early because of his Mom's death and quite honestly who was he coming in to replace? Clements? We were still in the playoff hunt in Week 16.

Youboty will be better than fine. He was a projected first rounder. Unless the kid can't operate without his mother being alive he'll be fine.

WE NEED A MONSTER PASS RUSH! With brady in our division that is the only way we get out of the AFC East. Brady is too good. We could have Champ Bailey, Clements and Samuel all on the field at the same time and Brady will still pick us apart. A PASS RUSH and run stopping D is what causes mistakes.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                      WE NEED A MONSTER PASS RUSH! With brady in our division that is the only way we get out of the AFC East. Brady is too good. We could have Champ Bailey, Clements and Samuel all on the field at the same time and Brady will still pick us apart. A PASS RUSH and run stopping D is what causes mistakes.
                      That does make the most sense. I think the most important thing with a Tampa-2 defense is having a DL that can control the LOS and pressure the passer. You need to be able to get pressure on the passer with the front 4, and not have to blitz. Then you can play zone behind that and have your back 7 flow to the ball and tackle well.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                        Youboty didn't get drafted so he could be a backup in year two. He'll be starting and I guarantee that we will not spend a draft pick on a CB. He sat early because of his Mom's death and quite honestly who was he coming in to replace? Clements? We were still in the playoff hunt in Week 16.

Youboty will be better than fine. He was a projected first rounder. Unless the kid can't operate without his mother being alive he'll be fine.

My concern is that Youboty didn't even dress for half the games. Sure, he's not going to start in front of Clements, McGee, or maybe even Kiwaukee Thomas, but you'd think if he was going to be next year's starter he'd at least be able to wrap up the #4 CB spot.
                        Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by NE39
                          That does make the most sense. I think the most important thing with a Tampa-2 defense is having a DL that can control the LOS and pressure the passer. You need to be able to get pressure on the passer with the front 4, and not have to blitz. Then you can play zone behind that and have your back 7 flow to the ball and tackle well.
                          Good post.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                            • Jul 2002

Youboty starting will be a freaking DISASTER!!!! A huge step back for the defense IMO.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Jul 2002

Without looking, can anyone tell me what number he is?

Comment

Working...
                              X