PDA

View Full Version : 2007

Patrick76777
01-24-2007, 11:30 AM
Of course we can’t sign Clements and Fletcher. They go.

We replace Fletcher and fix the D-line. Only we replace Clements with K. Thomas or another mid range guy. We’re all pumped.

The season starts and we’re doing a good job stopping the run and the offense looks great but QB’s are torching our D. We start the year 1-4

Then Youboty gets into the line up and plays well and we go 3-2 thru an easy part of the schedule.

We’re 4-6 and I start doing playoff scenarios.

We finish the year strong at 4-2 to finish 8-8.

But next year looks great.

Then we fail to sign McGahee and Spikes and replace Spikes with someone on the roster and McGahee with a draft pick.

2008 starts 1-5 as the new Running back starts slow. It’s a shame because the defense is playing well and JP looks great but we can’t run the ball.

The running back starts picking up steam in week 7 and we win a few games and are at 4-6 again. This time we’re good enough down the stretch to finish 5-1 for a 9-7 record. Too bad we missed the playoffs again.

But next year looks great.

Then we fail to sign “Insert name here” and “Insert name here”. And we start the year 2-4 because ???????????????

Mitchy moo
01-24-2007, 11:33 AM
What you are saying is without keeping the talent we have groomed and having the door revolve we will get to mediocrity at best, right?

Earthquake Enyart
01-24-2007, 11:40 AM
Pat, you seem down. :::

LtBillsFan66
01-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Exactly. It's like a broken record around here.

Patrick76777
01-24-2007, 11:53 AM
Exactly. It's like a broken record around here.

People are so concerned about saving money.

Patrick76777
01-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Pat, you seem down. :::

I'm cool.

I'm so sick of losing big time players every year. Esp. since we have 39 mil under the cap. Why not just sign Clements and not worry about the DB's? why create more holes?

OpIv37
01-24-2007, 11:57 AM
People are so concerned about saving money.

:rolleyes:

You know, there is this thing called the SALARY CAP. And if we use it all on Fletch and Clements, then we don't fix the DL. And then next year, someone like Spikes gets cut cuz of the cap. And the scenario plays out exactly like you describe, except we're losing guys to cap casualties instead of by not re-signing them.

Earthquake Enyart
01-24-2007, 11:57 AM
I concur. This Youbouty talk is driving me crazy. The guy couldn't even help on special teams.

But, I think they let Clemens go, let Fletcher go. First 2 picks in the draft are LB / CB (order depends on who is there). Later pick is a scat back kind of HB.

Think they pick up another OL, LB, CB in FA

OpIv37
01-24-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm cool.

I'm so sick of losing big time players every year. Esp. since we have 39 mil under the cap. Why not just sign Clements and not worry about the DB's? why create more holes?

because it's not up to us. If we offer Clements $20 million in guaranteed, someone else will offer him $22m. If we offer $22m, someone else will offer $24. Eventually, it becomes WAY more than he's worth- the guy's not even that good.

THATHURMANATOR
01-24-2007, 12:15 PM
I concur. This Youbouty talk is driving me crazy. The guy couldn't even help on special teams.

But, I think they let Clemens go, let Fletcher go. First 2 picks in the draft are LB / CB (order depends on who is there). Later pick is a scat back kind of HB.

Think they pick up another OL, LB, CB in FA
This Youboty crap is some of the most idiotic talk ever on this board.

Patrick76777
01-24-2007, 12:22 PM
This Youboty crap is some of the most idiotic talk ever on this board.

Just keep letting the talent go.

It's funny because it's TD's style. So many people hate him, but they seem to love his system of NEVER paying guys.

OpIv37
01-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Just keep letting the talent go.

It's funny because it's TD's style. So many people hate him, but they seem to love his system of NEVER paying guys.

he definitely F'd up on Pat Williams. We did fine without Winfield. Ruben Brown had to go- the guy just needed a change. We did fine without Peerless Price. We maybe could have used Jennings but he got hurt anyway. So who exactly are you talking about? And since we were never went into a season with a ton of cap room, how would you suggest paying them?

Earthquake Enyart
01-24-2007, 12:30 PM
I don't have a problem with letting Fletcher go.

They should throw some money Clemens way.

OpIv37
01-24-2007, 12:31 PM

how much money? It's going to be an insane bidding war. At what point do you say that Clements isn't worth the money and the opportunity cost?

OpIv37
01-24-2007, 12:33 PM
I'm not opposed to re-signing Clements for the right price, but there is no way we will get him without paying way more than he's worth.

Did you people actually WATCH Clements over the last two years?

Patrick76777
01-24-2007, 12:35 PM
And since we were never went into a season with a ton of cap room, how would you suggest paying them?

It's not my job to figure that out. In case you missed it, I'm a banker, I don't work in the NFL. If I did I may have an answer. They pay people to figure this stuff out. And other teams do it, so there has to be a way.

It's easy to look back now and say we didn't miss those guys, but take Peerless for example.

2002, our offense is sick but our defense struggles. We trade the rights for Peerless for a draft choice that doesn't touch the field in 2003. At the same time we add to our Defense. What happens, Our O struggles bad because we replaced 93 catches, 100 yards and something like 13 TD's with Bobby Shaw, and that didn't work.

I'll go ahead and post your next post for you., We didn't have the money, how do you expect to add Spikes and Adams and Lawyer to the D if you spent the money on Price.

And my answer will be, other teams figure this stuff out. Why can't we do the same?

Just sign your own guys for once. don't create more holes.

Patrick76777
01-24-2007, 12:37 PM
how much money? It's going to be an insane bidding war. At what point do you say that Clements isn't worth the money and the opportunity cost?

make him an offer he can't refuse. And do it now!

THATHURMANATOR
01-24-2007, 12:38 PM

Exactly.

Patrick76777
01-24-2007, 12:38 PM
[QUOTE=OpIv37]for the right price,QUOTE]

And there it is! The staple in any argument for all of the backseat NFL GM's.

God I hate that phrase! For the right price. We're going to hear that 1000 times over the next 3 months.

OpIv37
01-24-2007, 12:44 PM

God I hate that phrase! For the right price. We're going to hear that 1000 times over the next 3 months.

the only offer clements won't be able to refuse will be $25 million+ guaranteed. Every penny spent on him is money we can't use to fix the rest of the team.

Now, I know you were drunk during the games so I'm gonna let you in on a little secret: The Bills have a LOT of holes, particularly at DL and LB (if Fletch leaves, which appears to be the case). We also need a TE (still), a #2 WR, and could use some help on the right side of the OL.

So go ahead and re-sign Clements for $25+ million. Just expect to be 25 or worse in run D and have a struggling offense again next year. Your version of armchair GM is going to lead to us cutting 6 starters cuz of the cap in 08 like the Titans had to do.

Patrick76777
01-24-2007, 12:45 PM

Sorry Op, That last bit was a bit harsh. I don’t have the time to get into a long discussion about cap economics with you. I’m going to bail out now.

OpIv37
01-24-2007, 12:46 PM
[QUOTE=Patrick76777]
Sorry Op, That last bit was a bit harsh. I don’t have the time to get into a long discussion about cap economics with you. I’m going to bail out now.

it's all good- some other time then.

Saratoga Slim
01-24-2007, 04:30 PM
[quote=Patrick76777]

the only offer clements won't be able to refuse will be $25 million+ guaranteed. Every penny spent on him is money we can't use to fix the rest of the team.

Now, I know you were drunk during the games so I'm gonna let you in on a little secret: The Bills have a LOT of holes, particularly at DL and LB (if Fletch leaves, which appears to be the case). We also need a TE (still), a #2 WR, and could use some help on the right side of the OL.

So go ahead and re-sign Clements for $25+ million. Just expect to be 25 or worse in run D and have a struggling offense again next year. Your version of armchair GM is going to lead to us cutting 6 starters cuz of the cap in 08 like the Titans had to do.

I'm with you Op. I'd love to have Clements back, but it's simply not worth using half (or more ) of our available cap space on one guy. Clements is good in streaks, but he simply hasn't been so consistently outstanding that he deserves a $20M signing bonus. And that's what someone's going to give him.

Unfortunately, Asante Samuel's play during the playoffs probably has him in that range as well. Those are the sounds his agent is making anyway. Too bad, he was my backup plan.

Mitchy moo
01-24-2007, 04:37 PM
[quote=OpIv37]

I'm with you Op. I'd love to have Clements back, but it's simply not worth using half (or more ) of our available cap space on one guy. Clements is good in streaks, but he simply hasn't been so consistently outstanding that he deserves a $20M signing bonus. And that's what someone's going to give him.

Unfortunately, Asante Samuel's play during the playoffs probably has him in that range as well. Those are the sounds his agent is making anyway. Too bad, he was my backup plan.

Well hopefully 2 big spending teams blow all their money on those 2 guys and the bills get 4 really good players for the same $$$$.