PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Buffalo Mock Draft + Free Agency..

PECKERWOOD
01-24-2007, 08:38 PM
Just dreaming a little something up to keep myself and some of you entertained. Does anybody see this as atleast a possible scenario? All comments welcomed! ;)

FA: Briggs or Thomas. ( Thomas is my favorite athlete of the bunch but Briggs has more experience in the Cover 2.. I'm kinda torn on which one I'd rather have. )

WLB - Lance Briggs ··· MLB - Takeo Spikes ··· SLB - Angello Crowell

Jerramy Stevens would also be a great pick up for Buffalo and probably wouldn't cost too much. He would add another quality target for Losman to throw to and would be a legitimate redzone threat.

Resign Kiwaukee Thomas. I think anybody that watched the Bills all season long, understands that Kiwaukee Thomas was a complete beast for us.

Resign Mike Gandy. Versatile lineman who can play multiple positions and most importantly he plays at LG the best, which is a position we could use him in.

1st Round.) Darrell Revis, CB, Pittsburgh.
2nd Round.) Joe Staley, OT, Central Michigan
3rd Round.) Marcus Thomas, DT, Florida

LT - Peters ·· LG - Gandy ·· C - Fowler ·· RG - Preston/Merz ·· RT - Staley

Another defensive draft by the Buffalo Bills will not help JP Losman too much, but it looks like we are going to have to find some difference makers for a bargain again this year. In particular, a new FB would be beneficial to Buffalo and would come at a reasonably cheap price. Along with a legitimate RB is a necessity.

BILLSROCK1212
01-24-2007, 08:48 PM
Just dreaming a little something up to keep myself and some of you entertained. Does anybody see this as atleast a possible scenario? All comments welcomed! ;)

FA: Briggs or Thomas. ( Thomas is my favorite athlete of the bunch but Briggs has more experience in the Cover 2.. I'm kinda torn on which one I'd rather have. )

WLB - Lance Briggs ··· MLB - Takeo Spikes ··· SLB - Angello Crowell

Jerramy Stevens would also be a great pick up for Buffalo and probably wouldn't cost too much. He would add another quality target for Losman to throw to and would be a legitimate redzone threat.

Resign Kiwaukee Thomas. I think anybody that watched the Bills all season long, understands that Kiwaukee Thomas was a complete beast for us.

Resign Mike Gandy. Versatile lineman who can play multiple positions and most importantly he plays at LG the best, which is a position we could use him in.

1st Round.) Darrell Revis, CB, Pittsburgh.
2nd Round.) Joe Staley, OT, Central Michigan
3rd Round.) Marcus Thomas, DT, Florida

LT - Peters ·· LG - Gandy ·· C - Fowler ·· RG - Preston/Merz ·· RT - Staley

Another defensive draft by the Buffalo Bills will not help JP Losman too much, but it looks like we are going to have to find some difference makers for a bargain again this year. In particular, a new FB would be beneficial to Buffalo and would come at a reasonably cheap price. Along with a legitimate RB is a necessity.i like yur FA stuff and i like us drafting Joe Staley but not Darrell Revis or Marcus Thomas....id rather draft Daymeion Hughes at CB and then at DT Kareem Brown

Dr. Lecter
I think a RG is a much bigger need than RT. Pennington, while not great, was decent and was better than Preston.

THATHURMANATOR
Why a RT in the second when Pennington was playing fairly decent. The problem with our line was the interior.

PECKERWOOD
01-24-2007, 08:56 PM
Why a RT in the second when Pennington was playing fairly decent. The problem with our line was the interior.

We had to use Robert Royal the majority of the time to help Pennington pass protect and block, that doesn't exactly reak of performance, imo. Plus, I'm not sure how many times I've seen Pennington get beat like a drum by speed rushers but I know it was more than enough for me to lose interest and quit keeping track. Both RG and RT could be upgraded on this team, pick your poison. Lastly, I think that Merz will jump into the starting guard role and I actually advocated this before they made the OL changes midway through the season.. Either way, if you want to substitute an OG in Staley's place that would be fine with me as well.

ZacGriffi~82
01-24-2007, 11:22 PM
I agree with Thurm. Make the 2nd rounder Beekman or someone.

Night Train
01-25-2007, 02:27 AM
The Bills could consider upgrading the RT spot. But please don't tell me about the positives of Mike Gandy. He was blown up more than I care to remember. Preston needs to improve a lot before I'm thinking he's a long term solution.

Guard is a crying need for this team.

clumping platelets
01-25-2007, 02:29 AM
Stevens has MAJOR character issues.......Bills need a legitimate #2 WR not TE

PECKERWOOD
01-25-2007, 02:36 AM
The Bills could consider upgrading the RT spot. But please don't tell me about the positives of Mike Gandy. He was blown up more than I care to remember. Preston needs to improve a lot before I'm thinking he's a long term solution.

Guard is a crying need for this team.

You really think Gandy is that bad?? He is a serviceable LT and in my eyes he is atleast an adequate LG.. Maybe, I'm not seeing something that you did but I thought Gandy has done well for us at LG. God forbid that Peters gets injured next year, but if this were to happen we could move Gandy right back over to LT. Not sure about you, but I like having options.

I agree about Preston but Pennington really isn't much better, he constantly gave up sacks against speedy DE's. Who knows, if Sears is available when we pick in the 2nd round, that would be a great option for OG, imo.

YardRat
01-25-2007, 05:55 AM
Another defensive draft by the Buffalo Bills will not help JP Losman too much

I'm more interested in the front office doing what's necessary to help out the team as a whole, not JP Losman individually. If that means taking defensive players in the draft, I'm all for it.

Night Train
01-25-2007, 06:20 AM
You really think Gandy is that bad?? He is a serviceable LT and in my eyes he is atleast an adequate LG.. Maybe, I'm not seeing something that you did but I thought Gandy has done well for us at LG. God forbid that Peters gets injured next year, but if this were to happen we could move Gandy right back over to LT. Not sure about you, but I like having options.

I agree about Preston but Pennington really isn't much better, he constantly gave up sacks against speedy DE's. Who knows, if Sears is available when we pick in the 2nd round, that would be a great option for OG, imo.

If Gandy is serviceable then he's nothing more than a backup, which is how I view him. Both Tenny DT's Smith and Hainsworth just launched the guy 5 yards back. I saw it from the stands. The pressure up the middle all season was very evident. Fowler is OK but needs help covering up DT's. He gets little help from Gandy and Preston in pass protection.
I still give Preston a chance to work and improve. Gandy is maxed out. Pennington may only be a good backup himself, which is why I'm fine with this mock Draft.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/nflmockdraft.html

OT Levi Brown looked fantastic in the drills this week, just dominating any DL going up against him. We can find guards in the later rounds or in FA prior to the draft.

We have to get serious about upgrading this line.

TigerJ
01-25-2007, 08:58 AM
We had to use Robert Royal the majority of the time to help Pennington pass protect and block, that doesn't exactly reak of performance, imo. Plus, I'm not sure how many times I've seen Pennington get beat like a drum by speed rushers but I know it was more than enough for me to lose interest and quit keeping track. Both RG and RT could be upgraded on this team, pick your poison. Lastly, I think that Merz will jump into the starting guard role and I actually advocated this before they made the OL changes midway through the season.. Either way, if you want to substitute an OG in Staley's place that would be fine with me as well.

That's true. Buffalo did play Royal on that side a lot to help Pennington out. But that is not unexpected for a rookie seventh round pick starting at RT.
The question the Bills have to ask is how much better can Pennington get and how quickly can he get there? The answer will determine what the do of course.

DraftBoy
01-25-2007, 10:29 AM
RT is not a need at this point, I think Pennington did well for a 7th round draft pick rookie. Also we have still to see what Brad Butler can bring us.

I think Revis is a bad pick, I think a much better pick would be Eric Wright in Rd 3. And I could see Marcus Thomas being there in rd 4.

Not knowing who is avail in your mock, Id say ideally Id like Jaamal Anderson or Dwayne Jarrett to be there at our pick in round 1, and then in round 2, I could see us going with Beekman.

1. Anderson/Jarrett
2. Beekman
3. Wright
4. Thomas

Along with your FA's, though Stevens has huge injury/consistency/character concerns makes for a good offseason.

PECKERWOOD
01-25-2007, 09:03 PM
RT is not a need at this point, I think Pennington did well for a 7th round draft pick rookie. Also we have still to see what Brad Butler can bring us.

I think Revis is a bad pick, I think a much better pick would be Eric Wright in Rd 3. And I could see Marcus Thomas being there in rd 4.

Not knowing who is avail in your mock, Id say ideally Id like Jaamal Anderson or Dwayne Jarrett to be there at our pick in round 1, and then in round 2, I could see us going with Beekman.

1. Anderson/Jarrett
2. Beekman
3. Wright
4. Thomas

Along with your FA's, though Stevens has huge injury/consistency/character concerns makes for a good offseason.

I'm not sure why you would take Jarrett and Anderson over Peterson or say Lynch. Is DE really that big of a concern when we have a dominant DE in Schobel and 2 very good DE's in Kelsay and Denney? Combined, I believe Denney and Kelsay had around 10 sacks + Schobels 13 or whatever it was, equals roughly 23 sacks by your DE's. That's not bad at all. I can see some areas of concern on the WR position, but not enough to spend a 1st rounder on, especially when guys like Sidney Rice and Samarjidiza can be had in the 2nd round..

Beekman may turn out to be a decent pick. At first glance his height and arm span may draw some red flags for some people, but from what I've seen the kid can flat out play football.

Wright, I'm not sure about and don't know very much about, I will not lie, so I can't really comment too much on this until I find some film on him..

Thomas, I absolutely love this pick but do you honestly think he will fall to the 4th? If so, this pick is a complete steal.

PECKERWOOD
01-25-2007, 09:06 PM
That's true. Buffalo did play Royal on that side a lot to help Pennington out. But that is not unexpected for a rookie seventh round pick starting at RT.
The question the Bills have to ask is how much better can Pennington get and how quickly can he get there? The answer will determine what the do of course.

From what I've seen of Pennington, I'm not happy with - as him as a starter anyway. I think he would make a fine backup and in due time a quality starter. I'm just not willing to allow our QB get killed for the next couple of years while waiting for the kid to develope.

DraftBoy
01-26-2007, 06:47 AM
I'm not sure why you would take Jarrett and Anderson over Peterson or say Lynch. Is DE really that big of a concern when we have a dominant DE in Schobel and 2 very good DE's in Kelsay and Denney? Combined, I believe Denney and Kelsay had around 10 sacks + Schobels 13 or whatever it was, equals roughly 23 sacks by your DE's. That's not bad at all. I can see some areas of concern on the WR position, but not enough to spend a 1st rounder on, especially when guys like Sidney Rice and Samarjidiza can be had in the 2nd round..

Beekman may turn out to be a decent pick. At first glance his height and arm span may draw some red flags for some people, but from what I've seen the kid can flat out play football.

Wright, I'm not sure about and don't know very much about, I will not lie, so I can't really comment too much on this until I find some film on him..

Thomas, I absolutely love this pick but do you honestly think he will fall to the 4th? If so, this pick is a complete steal.

We have 1 good DE in Schoebel who is absolutely horrible v. the run and gets sacks in bunches and usually in unimportant times. The other two on the left side are bad. Sacks are not the only good measure of a DE, they also suck v the run and as I broke it down earlier this offseason we gave up more yards on runs to the outside (bc our DE's suck) than we did on inside runs. I think our D needs a good all around DE (Gaines Adams or Jaamal Anderson). We have the DT's to fit our system (we just dont know if they are good enough yet). We have the safeties, and I think LB will be addressed in FA.

Beekman has a mean streak and heart that more than make up for his size issues.

Eric Wright was a top recruit out of HS, who went to USC, and started as a freshman. He transferred the next year, and then got injured the following. He has limited starting time, but the kid is a play maker. He could be a great replacement for Nate, while Youboty replaces McGee who should not be a starting corner imo, anyways.

I think McGahee is ok for this year, Id like to see him behind a line that pretty much stays the same. He picked his game up (albeit small) after the bye week.

ParanoidAndroid
01-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Gaines Adams is more of a pure pass rusher. Calvin Johnson could be the best all-around DE in the draft....solid against the pass and rush. He's a reach at 12 though.

Darelle Reevis isn't worth #12 either and Markus Thomas has trouble written all over him. I think Staley would be a fine pick as long as we also look at guard in FA or round 3...like Samson Satele.

kernowboy
01-27-2007, 02:06 PM
For me I'd like to think that this would be a strong yet not unlikely or unexpected offseason, that could take us into the post season.

Only limited activity in Free Agency but we make moves in the following

RG - take your pick. If David Diehl is actually available then we snap him up, if not Kris Dielmann, Vince Manuwai even Floyd Womack would upgrade.

WR - the availability of Ashley Lelie makes an interesting addition. The guy wants to start and has the size our current WR don't. If the gamble doesn't work we can look at Adarius Bowman or Malcolm Kelly in 2008. All have the size of Jarrett but with the bonus element of speed!!

CB - a young vet to support and push Ashton - Ahmed Carroll or Mike Rumph?

RB - TJ Duckett to focus Willis or allow us to trade him, get us through 2007 and let us draft the RB of the future in 2008

QB - Pat Ramsay, a better backup to keep JP on his toes than either Holcomb or Nall can. Bigger arm than both.

And in the draft

R1 - trade down and get Paul Posluzny SLB to replace Spikes, Crowell moving to the middle and Ellison coming in at WLB
R2 - a possible trade for Randy Starks of the Titans but if not then Greg Olsen TE
R3 - if we failed to get Starks, then we look at Paul Soliai or Keenan Carter.
If we have got Starks then a OL like Joe Staley to eventually move to LG and supplant Gandy
Extra pick - a DE, Dan Bazuin would be a good pick especially if we don't resign Kelsay and/or Hargrove. Otherwise a pick for OL depth with Best OL available.
R4 - a CB, Jonathan Wade or Tramarous Bain
R6 - as Ellison has moved into the starting lineup, a 2nd LB, in this case I'd like to see Zac deOssie of the Browns
R7 - grab the best FB left though I think Jesse Adams of Virginia Tech is a blue collar Marv guy

PECKERWOOD
01-28-2007, 03:00 AM
We have 1 good DE in Schoebel who is absolutely horrible v. the run and gets sacks in bunches and usually in unimportant times. The other two on the left side are bad. Sacks are not the only good measure of a DE, they also suck v the run and as I broke it down earlier this offseason we gave up more yards on runs to the outside (bc our DE's suck) than we did on inside runs. I think our D needs a good all around DE (Gaines Adams or Jaamal Anderson). We have the DT's to fit our system (we just dont know if they are good enough yet). We have the safeties, and I think LB will be addressed in FA.

Beekman has a mean streak and heart that more than make up for his size issues.

Eric Wright was a top recruit out of HS, who went to USC, and started as a freshman. He transferred the next year, and then got injured the following. He has limited starting time, but the kid is a play maker. He could be a great replacement for Nate, while Youboty replaces McGee who should not be a starting corner imo, anyways.

I think McGahee is ok for this year, Id like to see him behind a line that pretty much stays the same. He picked his game up (albeit small) after the bye week.

I guess I have no problem with your analysis other than drafting a DE. While having Anderson or Adams would be a good thing, it isn't an absolute necessity, imo. The reason why I brought up the number of sacks our DE's put up is because that's basically the job of DE's in the Tampa 2, get pressure on the QB and don't stop. If we drafted Anderson or Adams at this point, I suppose I wouldn't be too disappointed just because DE appears to be very strong this year. I've made up my mind on one thing however, I would like the first pick to go towards our front seven but if we traded down and picked up Revis I wouldn't be too disappointed by that move either. If we don't take a CB in the first round, we better bring in somebody to compete for that number 1 role with Youboty because #22 sure as heck ain't gonna be here.

alohabillsfan
01-29-2007, 09:35 AM
Here is my take and I will add Fa at the end...

Round 1 trade down with Denver at 21 in return for the 6th (70) and 21st (85) pick in the 3rd round (the 6th is from Wash in the 3 way trade with Atl).

Stay with me now!

21st pick.... Trade down with TB for their 2nd rd pick (36) and their 3rd rd pick (68)!

OK Now we can draft!!!!

Pick 36 DE Carriker Nebraska (can move to inside on passing downs)
Pick 44 LB Siler UF
*Pick 68 RB Hunt Penn St
*Pick 70 OG Satele Hawaii
Pick 76 OT Free N. Ill
*Pick 85 DT Thomas UF
Pick 108 WR Trannon Mich ST Huge target (6'6" 227 with speed) needs grooming!
Pick 172 FB McClain Alabama
Pick 204 CB Gay Louisville

* Denotes extra pick!

FA (1) Vet CB, (1) Vet OLB

Resign Gandy, A-Train, K. Thomas, Hardgrove

Starting line up Defense for 2007

LE DT DT RE
Carriker Tripplet/Mcargo Thomas/Williams Schobel

LOLB MLB ROLB
Briggs (FA) Siler Spikes

LCB FS SS RCB
Mcgee Simpson Whitner Youbouty/ FA

Starting lineup Offense

WR TE LT LG C RG RT WR
Evans Royal Peters Gandy Fowler Satele Free Price

QB
Losman

FB RB
MCCLAIN Mcgahee/Hunt

DraftBoy
01-29-2007, 10:54 AM
I guess I have no problem with your analysis other than drafting a DE. While having Anderson or Adams would be a good thing, it isn't an absolute necessity, imo. The reason why I brought up the number of sacks our DE's put up is because that's basically the job of DE's in the Tampa 2, get pressure on the QB and don't stop. If we drafted Anderson or Adams at this point, I suppose I wouldn't be too disappointed just because DE appears to be very strong this year. I've made up my mind on one thing however, I would like the first pick to go towards our front seven but if we traded down and picked up Revis I wouldn't be too disappointed by that move either. If we don't take a CB in the first round, we better bring in somebody to compete for that number 1 role with Youboty because #22 sure as heck ain't gonna be here.

I dont see DT, LB, or DE as a neccessity posistion at this moment in time. But we can use big time upgrades at all those posistions. If we are getting down to neccessity the only true defensive necessity we have is at CB and I dont think anybody is a good pick at our posistion.