PDA

View Full Version : I seriously doubt we draft a OT at ALL!!!

X-Era
01-25-2007, 06:53 AM
I think whats important is to forget what we want the Bills to do and focus on what they are likely to do.

In that vein, we know that Peters is our lock at LT for many years to come. We know that Pennington was thrust into the starting role at the bye. Jauron clearly likes Pennington. Furthermore, Jauron, and the media agree that Pennington did a nice job at RT. I dont see anyway that Jauron, who has a young talent that is playing up to his liking, is gonna just bench the guy for a rookie. Nor do I see us drafting someone to push him when we have Butler as a backup.

I honestly see very little chance we draft a OT at all in this draft. I also dont think any of you should be suprised if and when we dont.

G? C? yeah thats a whole different story and I can see that happening, but not OT.

HAMMER
01-25-2007, 07:01 AM
I agree, and I feel if we draft a center or guard it will be for depth only.

LifetimeBillsFan
01-28-2007, 12:54 AM
I think whats important is to forget what we want the Bills to do and focus on what they are likely to do.

In that vein, we know that Peters is our lock at LT for many years to come. We know that Pennington was thrust into the starting role at the bye. Jauron clearly likes Pennington. Furthermore, Jauron, and the media agree that Pennington did a nice job at RT. I dont see anyway that Jauron, who has a young talent that is playing up to his liking, is gonna just bench the guy for a rookie. Nor do I see us drafting someone to push him when we have Butler as a backup.

I honestly see very little chance we draft a OT at all in this draft. I also dont think any of you should be suprised if and when we dont.

G? C? yeah thats a whole different story and I can see that happening, but not OT.

I couldn't agree more. And, for all the reasons you cited.

The only way that I can see the Bills consider drafting an OT is if they do not re-sign Gandy (who serves as a back-up LT) and there is a raw talent out there, like Pennington last year, who has some outstanding physical quality or qualities that they feel that they can develop.

I do think that they will look for an offensive guard--or an OT that they intend to switch to OG--in the middle rounds (3-5). Depending on what they are able to do in free agency, I could see them even looking at an interior offensive lineman as high as in Round # 2, but I'm not sure that there's anyone in the draft who is so much better than what they could get in Round 3.

PECKERWOOD
01-28-2007, 01:21 AM
There is much more to be desired at RT. Many members here along with the media maybe saying that Pennington did a good job, but I whole heartedly disagree. Doing well for a 7th round rookie and doing well for a 1st round rookie are two seperate things. Look, when you have somebody taken that low, nobody has any expectations for them to succeed, so when they do show a little glimpse of light, people are ready to crown them. I'm not saying that Pennington is a bad player, but I feel like when I read some of your opinions, that we've been watching two different football teams. Both RT and RG are major priorities and depending upon whether or not Gandy is resigned, you could include LG to that list as well. I can't see us drafting a center, in all honesty. Fowler is solid and I feel like Preston's a natural at center. ( although Preston playing OG is a completely different story.. )

Many people are acting like the Bills have a solid OL now and that drafting more lineman is futile, this is simply not the case. There were improvements after the change but alot more can be done to bolster the line. In fact, I would not be disappointed one bit if ALL of our draft picks were spent on OL, DL and LB. I believe those are the 3 areas in which we need more talent at the most.

ParanoidAndroid
01-28-2007, 02:14 PM
I agree with Fever. The right side of the line did not get any sort of push in the running game. Pennington might have been serviceable, but when you can't call running plays in a certain direction due to weaknesses in the O-line, something must be done.
However, I think much of that onus lands squarely on the RG position. I think Pennington will do a fine job next to someone like Derrick Dockery or Eric Steinbach.

kernowboy
01-28-2007, 02:30 PM
or Kris Dielman

I think if Joe Staley or Doug Free slipped to the third we'd pick 'em up. Either can play LT if Peters got hurt, but can also be looked at for the LG role, a type of Steinbach like finesse guard rather than a road grader

BILLSROCK1212
01-28-2007, 02:33 PM
or Kris Dielman

I think if Joe Staley or Doug Free slipped to the third we'd pick 'em up. Either can play LT if Peters got hurt, but can also be looked at for the LG role, a type of Steinbach like finesse guard rather than a road graderStaley wont but Free could

Night Train
01-28-2007, 04:00 PM
I have to agree. Pennington and Butler were rookies last year. They will be hitting the weight room all off-season and working with the coaches. No rookie is going to step in and make a bigger impact.

On the other hand, we are HURTING at Guard, since I can't find anyone that gives me confidence. Preston moved from Center and is lost. Gandy is a swinging door and a UFA. The declining Chris V. is always hurt and too old. Should be cut.

Guards. Find some.