PDA

View Full Version : The needs are reasonable and clear and the cap room is there

ICE74129
01-25-2007, 07:34 AM
DT, OLB, ILB maybe a CB to compete with Yo, RG and a RB to replace that thug punk Willis.

We can address DT, LB's, RG, CB easilly in FA. Heck we can even sign one LB and draft another to start.

If marv and ralph are willing to make a splash quickly, which will mean an overpay for a couple of those guys, along with a great draft, there is no reason not to be a playoff team in 07

kernowboy
01-25-2007, 07:44 AM
Not sure there is much in FA at DT.

I look at Okoye, Harrell and Keenan Carter in the draft of which only the 1st is a R1, Ian Scott in FA, and maybe a trade of a R2 for Randy Starks

Again the LB issue resolves round the horrifically expensive and the underachieving. There really isn't a top MLB so we possibly have already decided on moving Crowell inside. I can see a LB in R1 but also a trade down for Willis or Posluzny.

RG has a number of rich pickings in FA and I'd be disappointed if we don't sign one.

CB has Clements and Samuel but also some youngsters like Ahmed Carroll and Mike Rumph who are still young enough to challenge Youboty. A CB at the start of Day2 is a pick with merit.

Finally, I see us letting Willis run out his contract. We will get him in camp by agreeing not to tag him. Even Rosehaus will make sure such a dumbo will have to run hard to get a contract at the end of 2007. We then let him walk and draft his replacement in the deep RB draft of 2008.

ICE74129
01-25-2007, 08:08 AM
I don't see willis being here esp with Ralphs comments. and if Marv is going to stick by his character comments, I can't see willis being a bill in 07

TedMock
01-25-2007, 08:17 AM
It's weird. I don't dislike Willis because I think he's talented and a tough kid, but I can't stand the sporadic efforts on game day and the stupidity off the field. As was written several times - too bad we can't play the Jets every week. It's funny because he obviously focuses and puts forth full effort against them...primarily because of he and Vilma having a little trash-talk competition before each game. My take on this kid is that he is never going to be the back you can put your team on despite having the size, strength and speed to do so. He'll never be a great back on a bad team a la Corey Dillon in Cincy. He'd be a great back on a great team. Good teams can make any back look good, but he seems like the type who will give full effort if on a good team. His talents will then shine. Having said all that; I'm torn. Again, I like the kid. Part of me just would rather have a workhorse, average back who hits the hole for 3 yards and a cloud of dust, and wants to be part of the foundation that put the Bills back together.

Michael82
01-25-2007, 08:38 AM
DT, OLB, ILB maybe a CB to compete with Yo, RG and a RB to replace that thug punk Willis.

We can address DT, LB's, RG, CB easilly in FA. Heck we can even sign one LB and draft another to start.

If marv and ralph are willing to make a splash quickly, which will mean an overpay for a couple of those guys, along with a great draft, there is no reason not to be a playoff team in 07
Great post, ICE! :up:

If I was Marv, I would be on the phone immediately at midnight with Ian Scott and get him in for a visit asap. Don't let him leave without a contract. He's the first player that I want here. Then I would talk to Lance Briggs, Cato June, Adalius Thomas, and even Na'il Diggs and try to sign one of them.

I'd also be on the phone with the agent for Eric Steinbach, Kris Dielman, Vince Manuwai, and Derrick Dockery. I'd get as many of them as I can in for a visit and try to sign Steinbach to a fair offer and if that doesn't work, try the next one.

If I don't get Scott, I would bring Terdell Sands in for a visit, along with Cory Redding and Mike Myers and sign one of them.

For CB, I would try to re-sign Nate for a fair price, which I know he won't take so then I would turn around and take my money elsewhere. I'd bring these guys in for a visit and try to sign one of them..... Asante Samuel (just to see what he wants), Randall Gay, Jordan Babineaux (he's a RFA, but is worth the look), David Macklin.

For WR, I'd head right towards Drew Bennett and try to get him in here for a visit. And it he doesn't sign, I'd check out Kevin Curtis, Patrick Crayton (he's a RFA but might be worth it if u can pry him from Dallas), Justin Gage, DJ Hackett (he's a RFA but might be worth it if u can pry him from Seattle), Kelley Washington.

I'd then go into the draft and try to fill whatever holes I got left and draft the best available player all the way thru.

RedEyE
01-25-2007, 08:40 AM

I don't think we will see every single position listed addressed. If Fletcher does leave, I see the Bills patching that issue with the players they currently have in place. They might draft a late round LB for depth, but I think they will go into next season with the LBs currently on the roster. They will more thank likely shift a few players around. DiGiorgio will get an opportunity to prove himself at MLB, and let's not forget that Wire filled in nicely this year at the LB position, and while he may be slightly undersized, he maybe better suited for that position then SS.

Willis isn't going anywhere. He's contracted the year and like Fletcher, Marv and the front office will force him to prove himself worthy of a contract by making him play out the season without a renewal. That might mean he's not a Bill in 2008, and if that's the case I think the Bills will instead address the issue then, rather then trying to negotiate heading into this season, or forcing a psotion competition with young blood.

I defintitly see the Bills grabbing both defensive and offensive lineman in FA this offseason. The problem is that I don't see the Bills getting into any bidding wars for them (for any player for that matter). That means we will see the Bills gambling on 2nd tier FAs once again this season.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I firmly believe the Bills grab a CB in the 1st round of the draft. Too many stellar CBs available and Bills history has proven they love their DBs to be plucked out of the 1st round of the draft.

ICE74129
01-25-2007, 09:11 AM
We will NOT grab a CB in the first round! Marv knows as well as anyone Line and Linebackers are whats needed on this team badly

ICE74129
01-25-2007, 09:13 AM
Mikey, I think marv will have scott here ASAP as well as a couple guards and LB's. I don't see us going through the first week of FA without a RG, DT and LB signed. That said, I can see us then taking ILB with the 12th pick in the draft.

I also see a #2 WR like Drew coming in as well as us drafting RB in the 2nd and bpa from there on out. Either way we wont' draft a CB in round one

RedEyE
01-25-2007, 09:19 AM
We will NOT grab a CB in the first round! Marv knows as well as anyone Line and Linebackers are whats needed on this team badly

Says you. We will see here very shortly.

ICE74129
01-25-2007, 09:46 AM
Says you. We will see here very shortly.yep :bandwagon

RedEyE
01-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Let's put a friendly little wager on it. I have 9K zone bucks on the Bills taking a CB with their first round pick. What do you say? Do you feel that they will address the DL, OL, or LB position first?

ICE74129
01-25-2007, 10:04 AM
Let's put a friendly little wager on it. I have 9K zone bucks on the Bills taking a CB with their first round pick. What do you say? Do you feel that they will address the DL, OL, or LB position first?

Cant say till closer to time. I need to see what is addressed in FA. I feel it is LB, Marv knows its more important than CB esp in this defense.

But if they sign two LB's then the need is gone.

Michael82
01-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Mikey, I think marv will have scott here ASAP as well as a couple guards and LB's. I don't see us going through the first week of FA without a RG, DT and LB signed. That said, I can see us then taking ILB with the 12th pick in the draft.

I also see a #2 WR like Drew coming in as well as us drafting RB in the 2nd and bpa from there on out. Either way we wont' draft a CB in round one
I hope he does sign both Scott and Bennett. That would be a good start to the offseason. :clap:

kernowboy
01-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Well not wanting to repeat word for word another post but here goes

Marv has always stated a desire to build through the draft. I don't see any big FA signings as there is a concern that no matter how good someone has been elsewhere, new surroundings don't always lead to top performances.

With so much money invested in Reed and Price, and with the child rompers off JP, I think we'll see how they go next season before considering changes. Only Davis is a FA, and I do like the idea of signing Kelley Washington, who while injury prone has the size and the talent. However with Shelton likely to go, I can see a move to a 2 TE set especially if we can pick up Greg Olsen in Round2

At RG, because of the depth in FA I feel we may have our biggest signing here. Dielman, Dockery, Diehl (if he's a FA) or Manuwai even Womack look good here.

At DT, we can also look at Starks who may cost a R2 pick in trade or Hawthorne, a real wildcard, but with size, youth and someone who is slowly progressing into a decent run stuffer. But there could a decent NT in the R3 with Keenan Carter, Paul Soliai or maybe even Justin Harrell if he falls.

I agree with Willis running out his contract. A RB of Day2 to replace Shaud Williams would be a bonus. Take your pick from Garrett Wolfe, Clifton Dawson, Lorenzo Booker etc

I don't think we'll use R1 for a CB, more like R4, while we give Youboty a shot. As mentioned, the Tampa2 doesn't need immediate ProBowlers.

I would be enormously concerned to think of starting DiGiorgio or moving Wire into the LB corps. I'd like a FA signing, but all the top rate guys will be enormously expensive, some have character issues and could be tagged anyway. A trade down and a LB toward the bottom of R1 would not remotely be a surprise ... maybe even a second LB on Day2 to provide depth - Zak DeOssie of the Browns, an intelligent Ivy League guy.

So FA to include a:

RG - take your pick
WR - a big guy who would come cheaply and might become a No2 in time
CB - a guy to compete with Youboty - I still think Rumph has the intangibles

and a draft if no trading of picks occur of

R1 - a trade down and grabbing a LB
R2 - a TE especially if Olsen is available, a better option than a big slow WR
R3 - a NT
the xtra pick - depth for the OL or a CB
R4 - whatever position we don't grab above
R6 - more depth for the LB corps. We don't want to be starting Wire
R7 - a scatback RB
OFA - a FB for variation.

Yasgur's Farm
01-26-2007, 05:52 PM
Great post, ICE! :up:

If I was Marv, I would be on the phone immediately at midnight with Ian Scott and get him in for a visit asap. Don't let him leave without a contract. He's the first player that I want here. Then I would talk to Lance Briggs, Cato June, Adalius Thomas, and even Na'il Diggs and try to sign one of them.

I'd also be on the phone with the agent for Eric Steinbach, Kris Dielman, Vince Manuwai, and Derrick Dockery. I'd get as many of them as I can in for a visit and try to sign Steinbach to a fair offer and if that doesn't work, try the next one.

If I don't get Scott, I would bring Terdell Sands in for a visit, along with Cory Redding and Mike Myers and sign one of them.

For CB, I would try to re-sign Nate for a fair price, which I know he won't take so then I would turn around and take my money elsewhere. I'd bring these guys in for a visit and try to sign one of them..... Asante Samuel (just to see what he wants), Randall Gay, Jordan Babineaux (he's a RFA, but is worth the look), David Macklin.

For WR, I'd head right towards Drew Bennett and try to get him in here for a visit. And it he doesn't sign, I'd check out Kevin Curtis, Patrick Crayton (he's a RFA but might be worth it if u can pry him from Dallas), Justin Gage, DJ Hackett (he's a RFA but might be worth it if u can pry him from Seattle), Kelley Washington.

I'd then go into the draft and try to fill whatever holes I got left and draft the best available player all the way thru.I can't argue with even a single punctuation mark.

Great GM'ing.

Michael82
01-26-2007, 06:13 PM
I can't argue with even a single punctuation mark.

Great GM'ing.
Thanks man. Oh and another CB I might take a look at is Nick Harper or Jason David from the Colts. :up:

Nighthawk
01-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Unlike last year, the Marv must address as many holes as possible through FA. This will allow us more versatility when it comes to the draft. I hate when we are stuck drafting for need instead of picking a really good player at another position. Hopefully, FA plays out differently this year.

Throne Logic
01-27-2007, 01:00 AM
Last off-season, Marv did not have a good evaluation of the roster in regards to how each player would fit under Jouron's system. It didn't make sense to go out and spend a whole lot of money on FA's when you really were not sure what you already had. So he brought in mid-level FA's to fill in the grey areas.

Last year’s off-season focused on building the defensive. Starting with the secondary, where it was pretty clear the roster was a bit long in the tooth. Rebuilding continued with the DL where the '05 roster was just plain lacking. I realize that most folks here believe the DL was not properly addressed simply because we didn't draft Ngata. Evidence to the contrary exists in the persons of Tripplett, McCargo, and K. Williams. It doesn't matter how the 2006 season went regarding the DL performance. With what was invested in Tripplett and drafting the two rookies, Marv will most definitely see how these guys advance in 2007 before he invests more in the DL.

This year, Marv has a very good idea about his roster and what holes need filling. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he makes a larger impact in FA, knowing exactly where he needs to spend the big money.

History shows that it is a poor gamble to spend a day one pick on the OL. This is one of the slowest developing positions in regards to transitioning to the NFL. I would spend the FA money on the OL, RG in particular, and save the draft for the better gambles. Although I like Gandy, I wouldn't mind taking a look at FA options to upgrade LG.

They may or may not look at FA linebackers. However, I wouldn’t be disappointed if they went into 2007 with Ellison, Crowell, and Spikes. I believe that we’ll see linebacker depth addressed somewhere in the draft, probably on day two, where the Bills have a history of finding solid LB’s.

TE is an interesting position this off-season. We have Royal, who is serviceable. However, there are some interesting names in FA this year. If they decide to focus more on the two TE formations, we just might see Marv bring in a big FA at TE.

Contrary to what many are saying, I don’t see a dire need at CB, either. Youboty was drafted as Nate’s replacement. So let him be the replacement. That’s how it works. Draft a CB for depth either in the latter hours of day one or on day two.

So what does Marv do on Draft Day? If we make the reasonable assumption that our rookies will improve on their 2006 performances, where are our major holes? It’s not too far fetched to say the DL, secondary, and OL will be better solely based upon the fact that they will be filled with second year veterans who have built upon successful rookie campaigns and a full off-season program at the NFL level. Toss in an OL RG from FA and we don’t look too bad. A bit young, but so what? That youth has at least a year under their belts.

The more I look at the big picture, the more I see us looking to draft a WR on day one. Two weeks ago I would have been the first to call myself a jackass for spouting such nonsense. I hardly believe I’m saying it even now. But look at the facts. The WR unit on this team has no youth to improve aside from Evans, who is already there. I love Parrish, but he’ll never be a #2 WR. Price, Reed, Davis, and Aiken are serviceable backups. None of them are good for the WR spot opposite of Evans. The FA pool for WR is not really all that impressive this off-season. Jarrett could be the big presence WR to compliment Evans speed. Pick #12 on Jarrett might be called a reach by some, but hey, tell me again what Marv did last year with the #8 pick?

Anyhow, that’s my take on the off-season preview. I love the fact that I felt no need to even comment on the QB position - feels good.

Love to hear your comments.

- TL

kernowboy
01-27-2007, 02:53 AM
I think with so much money invested in Price and Reed (the latter's not that old) and the fact that Jarrett's on the slow side means WR, may not be a principle need.

As mentioned in my above post, I think we will look at LB in R1 unless Jamaal Anderson falls and look to grab either Timmons, Willis or Posluzny by trading down.

I think the principle gap on the DL is a NT where we need to replace Tim Anderson, and we may look for a run stuffer to rotate with Williams no later than R3.

I agree about the CB issue though I think we'd have a peek at who's around in R4 on Day2

In many ways we have serviceable players in many positions so it will be crucial who we grab in FA. If we don't get a TE in FA, we may look at Greg Olsen to replace Kevin Everett who has done nothing if he's there in R2. A 3rd down RB on Day2 may also be considered but it is a draft with poor RB depth so I think we will wait until 2008 to look at finding the replacement for Willis.

The OL came together towards the end of 2007. The yawning hole is at RG but with so many good FAs at this position in a very poor FA class, we should be able to nab one. I think we'll look to draft an OL on Day1 but its highly dependent on who falls, and then we have 9 ok OL. (Peters/Gandy/Fowler/RG/Pennington and Rookie Pick/Merz/Preston/Butler) The hole is at LT cover so look for Free, Staley or Otto who may be converted to LG over time.

Overall though, I don't think Marv and Dick will be seduced by last years performances. We do have some very good skills players, but we still lack the men in the trenches and I can see this as a 'blue-collar' draft, grabbing players with character, grit and tenacity.

jamze132
01-27-2007, 04:14 AM
I think it's important to get as many peices to the puzzle in place before we go to the draft. If we can a get a RG, LB, and maybe a CB before the draft, it makes draft day a lot easier and you can go BPA, which in the long run, usually pays off when you least expect it.

YardRat
01-27-2007, 05:29 AM
I can see us maybe grabbing one player early in FA, and then a week later reading a bunch of threads titled "WTF?? Why aren't we signing anybody?"

Dont drink the water
01-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Not a lot of money was not invested by NFL standards in either Price or Reed. I think the posters are saying "A lot more money than I would have invested" is closer to the truth but that is why they play fantasy GM not real GM.

In the draft Marv will look for players who he thinks are undervalued by other teams and will fit this system; I good example is Ko Simpson who was highly rated by some scouts and was too good to pass up in 4th round.

Like the 3-4 Defense, the Tampa Bay Cover 2 defense values Tweeners more than other defenses which is good because you usually get more value but bad because the players do not usually play that defense in college and need more time to adjust.