PDA

View Full Version : Gruden's take on Okoye...

jpdex12
01-25-2007, 08:14 PM
If Jon Gruden was serious, Okoye could end up being gone before we ever get to see him.

• The last question was asked by none other than Jon Gruden: "Why do you want to play for the Bucs so much,"? Okoye replied because of the coaches facial expressions and also because they run a similar scheme to what he played in at the college level.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/seniorbowl/reports/press/125.html

BILLSROCK1212
01-25-2007, 08:37 PM
If Jon Gruden was serious, Okoye could end up being gone before we ever get to see him.

• The last question was asked by none other than Jon Gruden: "Why do you want to play for the Bucs so much,"? Okoye replied because of the coaches facial expressions and also because they run a similar scheme to what he played in at the college level.

dude, i highly doubt that happening especially since it is likely that Alan Branch will be available but if he has a Senior Bowl then maybe he will go to the Bucs and we cud see Branch slip to us

jpdex12
01-25-2007, 09:28 PM
dude, i highly doubt that happening especially since it is likely that Alan Branch will be available but if he has a Senior Bowl then maybe he will go to the Bucs and we cud see Branch slip to us

Dunno, but I don't think Branch will get past Cleveland. Branch may remind Romeo too much of Seymour or Wilfork. Branch is a monster and ther DL sucks!

jpdex12
01-25-2007, 09:30 PM

I can see that Chucky may be reminded of Warren Sapp when analysing Okoye, especially with his high motor and the fact that Louisville ran a similar defense compared to Tampa.

TigerJ
01-25-2007, 09:50 PM
Okoye stated his weight was down because of time off after the season. That might be good news. He's probably too light at 287 for the nose in the Tampa 2 but if he can put some muscle on I still like his athleticism.

jamze132
01-26-2007, 07:09 AM

facial expressions? ROFL!!!!

eyedog
01-26-2007, 07:52 AM
Even if Branch falls to #12 the bills won't take him because "he doesn't fit the system". What a bunch of bs that is. Ngata didn't fit the "system" either. Another great move that was.

RockStar36
01-26-2007, 07:56 AM
I'm probably wrong, but I'm pretty confident that TB is taking Calvin Johnson. That might be the most sure thing pick in the draft.

Kerr
01-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Tampa Bay also likes the kid from California.

patmoran2006
01-26-2007, 09:41 AM
I personally keep hearing how fast he is and how quick he gets into the backfield, but i'm also hearing a ton how small he is and that he sometimes gets blown off the line.

If this is true, then he's the same kind of player as McCargo and that makes no sense to use a first rounder on ANOTHER type of player like that. If we're going DT early, it HAS To be ona guy who can eat up blockers and stop the run man.

patmoran2006
01-26-2007, 09:41 AM
And I agree about Branch not getting past Cleveland, unless Brady Quinn doesnt go #2 to Detroit.. I dont think the Browns will pass on Quinn.

RockStar36
01-26-2007, 09:42 AM
When I initially read up on Okoye I was pumped for his potential. I had completely forgot that they used a 1st rounder on McCargo. Now I can't see the sense of using another 1st on the DT.

Mitchy moo
01-26-2007, 09:44 AM
I think that if Alan Branch is available, he will be a Bill

patmoran2006
01-26-2007, 09:47 AM
There is no chance Branch falls to 12.

Elminster
01-26-2007, 09:50 AM
I'd gladly spend a 1st on a DT. I don't want to end up like the Jests fans that were chanting "We want Sapp!" and got Kyle Brady. :roflmao:
But seriously, I'd be fine with a 'backer too. But our run defense needs work and I'd like to see it addressed with another DT or a linebacker, and we can easily ask McCargo to put on some weight too so he can start taking more of a NT role.

streetkings01
01-26-2007, 09:52 AM
If we draft another DT in the 1st rd...we will become the Cleveland Browns of the AFC East!

Elminster
01-26-2007, 09:56 AM
If we draft another DT in the 1st rd...we will become the Cleveland Browns of the AFC East!
No, more accurately, we'd be in danger of becoming the Rams of the AFC East. 3 1st-round DTs, and only one is any good(Pickett.)

patmoran2006
01-26-2007, 10:11 AM
I really dont see Marv drafting a DT in the first round after giving Tripplett that contract and then trading up for McCargo last year. Just dont see it.

I do think we need another DT who can stop the run, but I think FA might be the place to find that.

I think either LB, DE, RB or WR are what are first rounder will be used for.

mysticsoto
01-26-2007, 10:12 AM

If we don't better our Run D we're going to become the Raiders of the NFL...which is worse? Next year we are going to be facing teams that have good if not great RBs. We couldn't contain crappy RBs this year - if we don't improve in the offseason in the areas that we absolutely need, we'll be picking 1st next year!

patmoran2006
01-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Then again, I think we're all crazy for speculating on a draft when we havent hit FA yet.

The only spot in FA I dont see ANYBODY who can help us is RB.

patmoran2006
01-26-2007, 10:15 AM
If we don't better our Run D we're going to become the Raiders of the NFL...which is worse? Next year we are going to be facing teams that have good if not great RBs. We couldn't contain crappy RBs this year - if we don't improve in the offseason in the areas that we absolutely need, we'll be picking 1st next year!
I agree but its just as important to get a DE who's adept at stoppin the run as a DT.

Kelsay, Denney, Hargrove can all rush the passer.. NONE can stop the run as well.

K Williams will be improved as will McCargo, and we have Tripplett, I'd like another DT as well, but not at #12.

I'd rather draft a DE at 12 if we are going front four.

Ingtar33
01-26-2007, 10:06 PM
he's got good hands, and a fast first step

he's not a force vs the run, in fact he's quite poor against the run. nothing differentiates him most of our DTs, at the moment.

Draft Okoye if you want to wait 3 to 5 years for him to round out.

LifetimeBillsFan
01-27-2007, 12:38 AM
Then again, I think we're all crazy for speculating on a draft when we havent hit FA yet.

You're absolutely right.

It's fun to speculate, but IMHO what the Bills do in the draft will be greatly impacted by what they are able to do in free agency. I don't think that they are going to go out and sign a lot of high-priced free agents, but I do think that they will spend some money on one, perhaps two, better free agents to fill one of the holes that they decide must be filled this offseason--1-gap DT being just one of those--and pick up some role-players to compete for some other spots. Once they do that, the positions that they will target in the draft will come into better focus. Right now, all we, me just as much or more than anyone else!--are doing is speculating and basically "running at the mouth". But, it is fun and there really isn't much else to discuss....

kernowboy
01-27-2007, 02:35 AM
I do like Okoye, but I'm not convinced about moving McCargo to the 1-tackle. I can quite easily see us using a R3 on a guy who is a meat & potatoes man, there to stuff the run, clear out the rubbish and allow our playmakers make players. A Keenan Carter, or a Paul Soliai. I liked Anttaj Hawthorne when he came out and was incredulous TD didn't take him when he fell. Now he's a RFA, it night be looking to see what he'd cost. If it were a R6 pick in trade, I'd give that up.

jamze132
01-27-2007, 04:18 AM
We need fat bastards.

BillsFever21
01-27-2007, 04:27 AM
One thing I've wondered is how is this guy 19 years old and available for the NFL draft? You have to be out of school for 3 years. Did he graduate early at 16 or something?

ParanoidAndroid
01-27-2007, 09:32 AM
Yes. He was a college freshman when he turned 16.

jpdex12
01-27-2007, 03:01 PM

Michael Turner RB FA Chargers...

Bmax
01-27-2007, 11:42 PM
he's got good hands, and a fast first step

he's not a force vs the run, in fact he's quite poor against the run. nothing differentiates him most of our DTs, at the moment.

Draft Okoye if you want to wait 3 to 5 years for him to round out.

I think that it in a nut shell Teams are in love with his upside....They figure with his age he will grow into the One position. He will start off as a three. I think there are other guys who might be available later that could play the one now ..

Antonio Johnson from Miss St- 3rd -4th rd pick, Justin harrell...Mebane from Cal-looks like a 3 now ...Could be a one later...Another guy that i'm interested in is Brown from Miami...showed good push and penetration his speed is a question...

Thoughts ?

Bmax