PDA

View Full Version : I Saw 5 Strong Guards At The Senior Bowl Practices

Night Train
01-26-2007, 04:43 AM
Of all the positions, that was the one I saw the greatest "quantity of quality", in a matter of words. In my opinion, that good news for the Bills who seem to have a screaming need for better Guard play.

Blalock- Texas
Grubbs- Auburn
Beekman - Boston College
Sears - Tennessee
Ramirez - Texas Tech

In watching the individual drills and 11 on 11 play on the NFL Network, I saw lots of positives from all 5. All showed power and technique in both pass and run blocking. I'm hoping we can snag one (or more) of these guys, to fill an obvious need. In addition, I hope we can sign a Vet, prior to the Draft.

Gandy and Preston were a liability in pass blocking, allowing the pocket to be pushed into Losmans lap. Plus the push in the running game was next to zero from these 2.

I wouldn't get all excited about bringing back Gandy, outside of backup $$. Preston moved over from Center and seemed totally lost.He looks like a career backup, at present.

I see a real good opportunity to upgrade the Guard spots. Here's hoping we do it.

Elminster
01-26-2007, 09:55 AM
That is good news, as likely more than one of them will be on the board when we come up in the 2nd round. 'Cause we all know run defense is in desperate need of help too...

bflojohn
01-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Another guy who might be an "under the radar" player at the Senior Bowl is Mansfield Wrotto, a OT from Georgia Tech. He looked out of place at tackle, but he is likely to get moved inside to guard at the next level. To me, he looks the part, although he is a bit of a project because he's only played OL for one year after being a DT for the first three at GT. I's suspect the Bills could land him in the 5th round area and be pretty happy with him a few years down the road!!

eyedog
01-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Good. Our 3rd and 4th rd picks should be used for two of them. Beekman, Sears, and Ramirez should all still be there. Then send Gandy and Preston packing. Keep Merz as a backup.

PECKERWOOD
01-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Good. Our 3rd and 4th rd picks should be used for two of them. Beekman, Sears, and Ramirez should all still be there. Then send Gandy and Preston packing. Keep Merz as a backup.

Sears is an early 2nd round pick waiting to happen, hell he could even sneak into the first.

eyedog
01-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Ok I'll take Beekman and Ramirez. Actually I would be happy with just Beekman in the 3rd.

eyedog
01-26-2007, 03:03 PM
Ok I'll take Beekman and Ramirez. Actually I would be happy with just Beekman in the 3rd.

ZacGriffi~82
01-26-2007, 03:22 PM
I agree with Eyedog. We need guys like them on our line.

ICE74129
01-26-2007, 03:30 PM
guys we are NOT going to start a rookie at RG. I will bet 10K in ZB's on this. Why? We have a guy that has about 7 starts to his name at right tackle! you NEVER stick a rookie guard next to a guy that green himself.

we will address RG with a veteran this offseason unless we sign a veteran RT for some reason

mysticsoto
01-27-2007, 10:44 PM
guys we are NOT going to start a rookie at RG. I will bet 10K in ZB's on this. Why? We have a guy that has about 7 starts to his name at right tackle! you NEVER stick a rookie guard next to a guy that green himself.

we will address RG with a veteran this offseason unless we sign a veteran RT for some reason

Personally, I think we should do both. Our Oline is weak enough that we should grab a RG in FA and draft a versatile Olineman that can play both OT/OG. Right now I'm thinking Arron Sears fits that bill (pun intended) better than anyone...

PECKERWOOD
01-28-2007, 02:26 AM
Personally, I think we should do both. Our Oline is weak enough that we should grab a RG in FA and draft a versatile Olineman that can play both OT/OG. Right now I'm thinking Arron Sears fits that bill (pun intended) better than anyone...

I think the Bills need to shop at Sears or grab some Grubbs!