PDA

View Full Version : DTs in Free Agency

patmoran2006
01-26-2007, 10:27 AM
http://www.theredzone.org/2007/freeagents/showposition.asp?Position=DT

Isnt really any dominating DTs on the Free Agent market, but it does seem like they are some who can help this team.

Ian Scott from what I seen appears to be the best UFA out there, but I would imagine he'd cost some money. Tank JOhnson is a RFA,and I dont see Marv messing with him due to legal problems.

Anyone have thoughts on someone the Bills would potentially target? Whether its FA or a draft the team needs another DT, and I think someone better at stopping the run.

Mitchy moo
01-26-2007, 10:32 AM
I say roll the Tank.

Kerr
01-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Rod Coleman is not a bad option as a stopgap.

Carlton Bailey
01-26-2007, 10:49 AM

I'd love to get him.

EDS
01-26-2007, 12:42 PM

Rod Coleman is tiny as far as DTs go and is known much more for his pass rushing abilities than his abilities as a run stopper. This was the reason why Atlanta went ahead and signed Grady Jackson - because they felt they were undersized in the middle and were getting run over.

The Bills do not need a DT like Coleman. They need a run stopper.

bigbub2352
01-26-2007, 12:51 PM
I think Ian Scott would be our best fit, he is familiar with the scheme and young, plays hard to plus now has the playoff experience to help a young team

kernowboy
01-26-2007, 01:07 PM
Though he fell in the draft because of some misadventure with pot, and has been a very slow developer, having now been deemed good enough to rotate into the defence at the Raiders, Anttaj Hawthorne could well be a NT for us. As a ERFA, if we signed him, and considering the Raiders have more cap problems than others what would it cost us - the same R6 pick that he was orginally drafted with? Considering what is in the current draft, at 6ft3, 323lbs and orginally from the North East, he might be worth a peak. He did originally leave the Badgers with a R1 grade!

Randy Starks is another player I have a lot of time for.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/players/bio/?id=6573&hubname=nfl-titans

Would we be able to trade our R2 for him? If we get a LB in R1, then we are looking at the likes of Harrell and Mebane in the 2nd. I reckon a traded pick would merit serious consideration

DraftBoy
01-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Id like to bring in Starks also but he is a RFA, so would likely cost picks if he's tendered.

kernowboy
01-26-2007, 02:14 PM
but if no higher than a R2, he's probably better than anyone we could draft in R2

ParanoidAndroid
01-26-2007, 02:42 PM
I would we picked Harrell in the 2nd rather than trade the pick away.

The last buffalo fan
01-26-2007, 05:06 PM
I don't mind, taking a look to these guys :

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=601 border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#f0f0f0><TD width=221>Fisk, Jason
</TD><TD width=198>UFA</TD><TD width=182>Rams</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=601 border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#f0f0f0><TD width=221>Hawthorne, Anttaj</TD><TD width=198>ERFA</TD><TD width=182>Raiders</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=601 border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#f0f0f0><TD width=221>Long, Rien</TD><TD width=198>UFA</TD><TD width=182>Titans</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=601 border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#f0f0f0><TD width=221>Smith, Robaire</TD><TD width=198>UFA</TD><TD width=182>Titans</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Night Train
01-26-2007, 05:28 PM
Robaire Smith - Tenny
Ian Scott - Chicago

I'd be most pleased with either.

ZacGriffi~82
01-26-2007, 05:34 PM
Anttaj Hawthorne had some serious off the field problems.

ZacGriffi~82
01-26-2007, 05:38 PM
If Rien Long can return to form he would be a steal. Achilles is a nasty injury, but he is young.

Yasgur's Farm
01-26-2007, 05:47 PM
While I wouldn't mind an In Scott or Robaire Smith to replace Tim Anderson, I still think the main problem stopping the run is at LB. Marv addressed the DT position big big last offseason... And now it's time to let it simmer and watch the growth... I'd probably invest a 5th rounder at DT.

LB is another story... I'll be dissapointed if we don't come away with 1 of Thomas, Briggs or June. I'd also invest a 2nd or 3rd rounder here.

The last buffalo fan
01-26-2007, 05:55 PM
While I wouldn't mind an In Scott or Robaire Smith to replace Tim Anderson, I still think the main problem stopping the run is at LB. Marv addressed the DT position big big last offseason... And now it's time to let it simmer and watch the growth... I'd probably invest a 5th rounder at DT.

LB is another story... I'll be dissapointed if we don't come away with 1 of Thomas, Briggs or June. I'd also invest a 2nd or 3rd rounder here.

:up:

Our problem in stopping the run, was mainly because our LBs, but with a little contribution from our DL. I'm no blind, Sir. :snicker:

Night Train
01-26-2007, 05:59 PM
While I wouldn't mind an In Scott or Robaire Smith to replace Tim Anderson, I still think the main problem stopping the run is at LB.

I agree we need a big LB in the middle but Kyle Williams at the 1 gap (over the center) is far too small and was easily pushed around.

The combination of a stronger/bigger DT and MLB would be a big difference. The stronger the DT, the more plays a LB can make ,without OL washing him out. The classic domino effect.

Al13
01-26-2007, 06:21 PM
i think the draft is the way to look for a DT this year

jdbillsfan
01-27-2007, 07:53 AM
I like Cullen Jenkins with GB.

kernowboy
01-27-2007, 08:13 AM
Anttaj Hawthorne had some serious off the field problems.

Yes, have had a look at that .. he smoked some pot and it flagged up in a drugs test prior to the draft. Oh and he was suspended a couple of times from the Badgers due to attitude - we all makes mistakes when young

Can't find anything on beating his spouse, resisting arrest, driving offences, alcohol offences, sexual assault etc etc etc. Check on google, but I cannot find a single thing

kernowboy
01-27-2007, 08:15 AM
If Rien Long can return to form he would be a steal. Achilles is a nasty injury, but he is young.

I think our problem is the 1-tackle not the 3-tackle that Long could only play so unless McCargo can move to the 1-tackle.

Plus Long has had legal problems, being suspended from the Cougars for alcohol related issues

Don't Panic
01-27-2007, 09:35 AM
This is the biggest dilemma for OBD this offseason. Do we go with a big, run stopping DT in FA, or do we get a MLB in either the draft or FA who will clean up the mess. Both options have their warts:

DT - If we address this situation and leave our DE's status quo, we're still looking at a subpar pass rush, which I feel was our biggest problem last year. Its almost as if we go DT, we have to go DE as well, albeit to a lesser extent than if we leave DT as is. If we don't go DT, we almost certainly need to invest in a better compliment to Schoebel at DE. In other words, if the D line can't stop the run, they better be able to rush the passer. Having the run stuffing DT frees up the MLB to do more outside pursuit and pass coverage. No complaints with that happening.

MLB - A high end FA MLB would do a lot to shore up our run defense, but it would also open in the shallow middle of the field a bit more in passing situations (especially play action) and, as stated, would require a speedier DE.

Managing this situation will determine in many ways what our defensive fate will be next year. On a side note, the more I think about it, the more I wish the draft came first, then free agnecy. It would make things a lot easier.