PDA

View Full Version : Character issues

kernowboy
01-27-2007, 10:27 AM
A lot has been said in the lead up to this years draft, as it was last season, about the issue of character and how it effects who we pursue, both in the draft and in free agency.

Personally observing the way the game is played, being a little psychotic helps in certain positions but I think it boils down to two areas. Character in the team and outside of the team.

Does the fact that a person might be a spouse beater, a future drunk, a NFA card carrying member (guns carried in the trunk) or someone who sexually forces themselves upon others a real issue compared to how far they can take the team?

Or is someone who plays for the team but has a big mouth, expects to start, has fits of pique when they don't (showing passion for their game?) whilst a model citizen off the field be someone we really want to avoid?

Personally I would take the latter person 11 times out of 10 over the other scumbags but I am interested, as a Limey, in knowing what the fans think the most important issues are .. we don't tend to have these problems in European sports, well especially not those of a legal variety anyway

chernobylwraiths
01-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Personally I would take the latter person 11 times out of 10 over the other scumbags but I am interested, as a Limey, in knowing what the fans think the most important issues are .. we don't tend to have these problems in European sports, well especially not those of a legal variety anyway

No offense but I think you have tons more issues with fans than with players at European sports.

There are those that would take anybody as long as their win-loss percentage goes up. That's why we had people looking to add TO last year and guys like that. Thankfully, our GM likes guys with better character usually. I don't think I would like being a Bengals fan right now. Sure they have a better team but look at the cost.

Personally, I like guys that work their asses off and don't jump up and celebrate after every play. Enthusiasm is nice, but making a tackle after a three yard gain is nothing to be proud of. I also like guys who look to help the team before the personal stuff.

Ron Burgundy
01-27-2007, 10:42 AM
No offense but I think you have tons more issues with fans than with players at European sports.

And the players aren't saints either.

kernowboy
01-27-2007, 10:44 AM
I think the problem with the Bengals is all the off field stuff and the arrests are hugely disruptive to the team and are the result of a character defect i.e. you can't behave in society.

I think some players lead to learn humility on the field but I think of the likes of Travis Henry (ok minus his off-field indescretion). He runs hard and hurt, has a couple of decent seasons and then is usurped by someone who basically has been no better.

Henry became a little bit of a cancer demanding to be traded but lets face it, who can actually blame him? He did all that was asked of him and got dumped on, for a player who as actually help take us backwards.

If someone has got of bit of balls and stands up and says I'm the best, I demand to be a starter - then I'm not sure thats such a bad thing ... it makes GM/HCs stop and think about making crazy decisions maybe?

ParanoidAndroid
01-27-2007, 10:47 AM
I think most of these guys come out of college as decent people. Some are not. For the ones who are decent and eventually get in trouble, this is my theory:

Money corrupts. Money attracts people who are less than honorable. Go back to your neighborhood and people get jealous. Gold diggers come out of the woodwork. With money also comes more responsibility. This is a lot for someone 22 or 23 years old to handle and they get steered the wrong way. It also doesn't help that a lot of these guys have too much testosterone in their system and have short tempers. All this is a recipe for disaster. It's almost as if it's all a setup.

The NFLPA needs to do a better job of counseling some of these youngsters before they get in trouble, not supplying them with lawers afterwards.

They also need to be brought back down to Earth as far as the law goes. Some believe they are above the law and they have reason to. Laws get bent for pro athletes, just like school rules sometimes become secondary to a star ball player.

I believe people are inherently good and are a product of their environment.

kernowboy
01-27-2007, 10:49 AM
And the players aren't saints either.

On average most don't get arrested (apart from the extremely occasional drunk driving), sexually assault women, beat their spouses etc etc. In English Football, 2 guys in 92 teams have gone to jail in the last 5 years, and one was for breaking someone's jaw on the pitch (and this guy played for a non league team). The other guy got six years for causing death by dangerous driving.

And if you get caught for drugs offences, the ban tends to be in the order of several months straight up whether its steroids or recreational drugs, not a token 4 games. The suspensions are much much longer.

chernobylwraiths
01-27-2007, 10:51 AM
I think the problem with the Bengals is all the off field stuff and the arrests are hugely disruptive to the team and are the result of a character defect i.e. you can't behave in society.

I think some players lead to learn humility on the field but I think of the likes of Travis Henry (ok minus his off-field indescretion). He runs hard and hurt, has a couple of decent seasons and then is usurped by someone who basically has been no better.

Henry became a little bit of a cancer demanding to be traded but lets face it, who can actually blame him? He did all that was asked of him and got dumped on, for a player who as actually help take us backwards.

If someone has got of bit of balls and stands up and says I'm the best, I demand to be a starter - then I'm not sure thats such a bad thing ... it makes GM/HCs stop and think about making crazy decisions maybe?

There are better ways to go about trying to get the starters job than by going to the media and pronounding you are the best and should be starting. I think if Levy were running the team when we had both Henry and McGahee we might have gotten rid of the other back. Willis is more talented but only runs when pushed.

The way Bledsoe did it when with the Partiots is a better way to be a team player. Flutie vs Johnson is the wrong way. Whoever decided to start Johnson in that playoff game screwed this team for the last several years.

chernobylwraiths
01-27-2007, 10:55 AM
On average most don't get arrested (apart from the extremely occasional drunk driving), sexually assault women, beat their spouses etc etc. In English Football, 2 guys in 92 teams have gone to jail in the last 5 years, and one was for breaking someone's jaw on the pitch (and this guy played for a non league team). The other guy got six years for causing death by dangerous driving.

And if you get caught for drugs offences, the ban tends to be in the order of several months straight up whether its steroids or recreational drugs, not a token 4 games. The suspensions are much much longer.

Americans are more interested in money than little issues like law and socially responsible behavior. Everything on this side of the pond is predicated on someone making more money, whether it is the owners, players, or television.

ParanoidAndroid
01-27-2007, 10:56 AM

If you look at it in terms of money, a player making a $1M yearly base salary (that's over 16 games), which in not uncommon, would lose about $250,000 dollars for a 4-game suspension.

Ron Burgundy
01-27-2007, 11:00 AM

Dude...c'mon. That's just not true.

Portsmouth striker arrested for domestic abuse:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=400528&campaign=rss&source=soccernet&cc=5901

Nine Leicaster players arrested for sexual assault:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/leicester_city/3532059.stm

West Ham defender fighting at nightclubs...which is also a specialty of Wayne Rooney's.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/breaking-news/world/europe/article2146401.ece

And of course, the infamous Italian first division garbage...which, by the way, was completely ****ed up. I still can't believe how light the penalties were.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Serie_A_scandal

Do a little research, and you'll find many, many more examples. I love joga bonita but you're not accurate on this.

People, not only Brits but Europeans in general, are arrested and censured for **** all the time...including assault, match-fixing, drug use, and tons of other things.

kernowboy
01-27-2007, 11:15 AM
NFL has 32 teams and 53 players per roster = 1664
The football league has at the very least 2300 players

How many of the players you listed jailed? 0

The women in the Leicester City case were prosecuted for making false statements.

In the case of Mr Rooney, he tends to having opposing fans have a go not instigate fights. How many NFL players instigate problems?

And regarding the Juventus case .. there is NO proof that the club successfully fixed matches. The club were accused and found guilty of ATTEMPTING to fix matches.

Ron, the article was about players. NO PLAYERS were involved

The Bengals have had more problems with their roster than most soccer teams have in 10 years

The problem with the NFL is it happens so often its no longer news

RedEyE
01-27-2007, 11:18 AM
Just look at the Bengals. These off field issues effect the overall continuity and performace of a team. I agree with Marv's ideals and tactics and applaude them.

Ron Burgundy
01-27-2007, 11:20 AM
NFL has 32 teams and 53 players per roster = 1664
The football league has at the very least 2300 players

How many of the players you listed jailed? 0

The women in the Leicester City case were prosecuted for making false statements.

In the case of Mr Rooney, he tends to having opposing fans have a go not instigate fights. How many NFL players instigate problems?

And regarding the Juventus case .. there is NO proof that the club successfully fixed matches. The club were accused and found guilty of ATTEMPTING to fix matches.

Ron, the article was about players. NO PLAYERS were involved

The Bengals have had more problems with their roster than most soccer teams have in 10 years

The problem with the NFL is it happens so often its no longer news

It's shady. It's professional sports. That's just the way things are, everywhere. I'm not denying the NFL, I just think it's funny to say that one is so much better than the others.

You'll notice that the examples I brought up (other than the match fixing) were just from January. Like I said, keep digging and you'll find more.

In any case, I don't really think that anyone here wants to have felons or whatever on their team.

kernowboy
01-27-2007, 11:25 AM
It's shady. It's professional sports. That's just the way things are, everywhere. I'm not denying the NFL, I just think it's funny to say that one is so much better than the others.

You'll notice that the examples I brought up (other than the match fixing) were just from January. Like I said, keep digging and you'll find more.

In any case, I don't really think that anyone here wants to have felons or whatever on their team.

The Leicester City case was 2004

Ron Burgundy
01-27-2007, 11:26 AM
The Leicester City case was 2004

Sorry, other than the match-fixing and Leicaster case.

Still not the choir-boy league by any stretch.