PDA

View Full Version : Nighthawk says we have to make a trade NOW!

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Keep in mind he's gotta fit in with the team and not cause problems in that locker room and he's gotta be fast because were a fast skating team. I see no one were going after, and keep in mind were trying to re-sign Briere to a long term deal & Drury to a new deal :pray: also!

Peter Forsberg
http://espn-ak.starwave.com/i/nhl/profiles/players/35x48/0333.jpgLet's start with the brightest bauble on the market, albeit a bauble with a bad hoof and recurring groin problems. But let's assume Forsberg, who spent part of the All-Star break in Sweden trying to sort out his nagging injuries, can play and will agree to waive a no-trade clause. If that's the case, he and the Flyers will command a first-round draft pick and likely an emerging prospect. When he plays, Forsberg remains a dominant player, with 28 points in 31 games, and could elevate a team from long shot to viable Cup contender.

Apart from Forsberg's health, the main issue will be whether teams can take the cap hit. Forsberg makes $5.75 million, so even the prorated cap hit will be slightly more than $2 million for an interested team. The risk will be high, too high for many GMs, but the rewards may prove to be just as great. About a dozen teams have expressed interest, but Flyers GM Paul Holmgren denied a report out of Denver that Forsberg's former team had asked to speak to the center about a return to the Avalanche.

he's good, not great anymore but he's been injury prone

Craig Conroy
http://espn-ak.starwave.com/i/nhl/profiles/players/35x48/1195.jpg After Forsberg, it's a pretty dramatic drop off in terms of centers. But given that there are probably six teams that would like to get deeper down the middle, veteran Craig Conroy will command attention even though he's still got one year left on a contract that pays him $2.4 million. Conroy has just five goals in 50 games in Los Angeles and is a minus-13. But the Kings aren't a very good team and Conroy needs to play with skilled players as he did in Calgary, where he enjoyed a career-best 75 points in 2001-02 with an emerging Jarome Iginla. He'll be on the move, likely to the East.

He's just like Drury

Jozef Stumpel
http://espn-ak.starwave.com/i/nhl/profiles/players/35x48/0516.jpgAlthough he got off to a slow start, Stumpel's production has picked up in recent weeks (he's got points in seven of his last 10 games), and he hit the All-Star break with 35 points in 49 games for the Panthers. He can work the power play and wouldn't cost much in terms of a cap hit (he makes $1.65 million) or assets he would demand (we're guessing a second-round draft pick or lower).

Don't like him never have and never will

Ladislav Nagy
http://espn-ak.starwave.com/i/nhl/profiles/players/35x48/1983.jpgThe Coyotes are fighting to stay in the playoff hunt, sitting eight points out at the break. GM Mike Barnett has two key players who are set to become unrestricted free agents: Ladislav Nagy and Shane Doan. Although Nagy is more skilled, Doan figures to be the guy the Coyotes target given his overall importance to the team. Nagy leads the team in scoring with 37 points in 47 games, and if a team thinks it can effect a trade-and-sign situation, Nagy could command a first-round pick or a top prospect. Look for Nagy to go to a team that needs power-play help and a boost in secondary scoring.

might come to Buffalo to re-unite with Daniel Briere :idunno:

Keith Tkachuk
http://espn-ak.starwave.com/i/nhl/profiles/players/35x48/0558.jpgTeams are always looking for toughness and veteran experience at the deadline. Tkachuk is one of two such players the rebuilding Blues are likely to deal. Even though they've crawled back into the fray in the West, the reality is the Blues need to collect assets (draft picks or prospects) and Tkachuk will command considerable attention. Although teams will question his impact on dressing room chemistry, Tkachuk, second in team scoring with 33 points, remains one of the few true power forwards available.

I would :love: to get him and see him in a Sabres jersey but we would have to give them somebody like a Afinogenov, Vanek, Pominville or Roy or Tim Connolly or a high draft pick to get him

Bill Guerin
http://espn-ak.starwave.com/i/nhl/profiles/players/35x48/0605.jpgGuerin is enjoying a renaissance in St. Louis after being bought out of his contract in Dallas last offseason. He was named to the Western Conference All-Star team and leads the Blues with 20 goals and 35 points. At 36, Guerin still has pretty good wheels. He's also highly affordable, making just $2 million.

Too old, and he didn't impress me at all in the All-Star Game either

Todd Bertuzzi
http://espn-ak.starwave.com/i/nhl/profiles/players/35x48/1336.jpgAlong with Forsberg, the rugged, oft-maligned Bertuzzi is the biggest wild card in the trade deadline deck. Bertuzzi hasn't played since early in the season, but is expected to resume skating in the coming days after recovering from back surgery. Panthers coach and GM Jacques Martin hopes Bertuzzi will get back on the ice before the trade deadline. He is expensive, making almost $5.3 million this season, and his considerable baggage will give teams pause. Still, when he's healthy, Bertuzzi has shown he can be a dominant player. The Panthers, who stand to see Bertuzzi walk away as an unrestricted free agent this summer, wouldn't want much in return (good thing).

don't like him, you talk about cancer in your locker room he's the one guy that can kill your team at playoff time

Brad Stuart
http://espn-ak.starwave.com/i/nhl/profiles/players/35x48/1949.jpgFew NHL teams couldn't use some defensive depth at the deadline, and the bulk of deals at last season's deadline fell into the defensive depth category. Not surprisingly, there are few of those types of players on the market, and even fewer defensemen who could be expected to make a significant impact. Stuart, who came to Boston from San Jose in the Joe Thornton deal last season, skates well and is a better-than-average puck handler. He logs 22:48 a night and has seven goals, but he's a minus-13 on a team that has no one with a positive rating. A member of the all-rookie team in 2000, Stuart may not have developed as people expected, but at 27 he's still young and will command a lot of attention.

He's a Defenceman something that we definately need trade him for Kalinin :idunno:

Eric Brewer
http://espn-ak.starwave.com/i/nhl/profiles/players/35x48/1792.jpgThe former Oilers blue-liner missed most of last season with a shoulder injury after being acquired by the Blues in the Chris Pronger deal. He's back to form, playing 23:43 a night. The Blues have good depth along the blue line and will almost certainly try to move the relatively inexpensive Brewer (he makes $2 million this season) before he becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer.

Brewer I like this guy but again the Blues might ask for Afinogenov, Pommers, Roy or Vanek I'll pass

Gary Roberts
http://espn-ak.starwave.com/i/nhl/profiles/players/35x48/0009.jpgRoberts is currently injured, but he is the kind of rugged, proven performer who makes teams salivate come playoff time. Durability will always be an issue for the 40-year-old winger, but he's been a positive influence in a young Florida dressing room and has a respectable 27 points in 41 games this season. He's a proven winner, a valuable commodity down the stretch.

Too old

Darcy Tucker
http://espn-ak.starwave.com/i/nhl/profiles/players/35x48/1400.jpgThe Maple Leafs have been crippled by injury (Tucker included), dragged down by inconsistent goaltending and are one bad week away from being out of the playoff race. A foot injury has kept Tucker out of the lineup since Jan. 1, but he should be back in the lineup by the deadline. Traditionally, the Leafs have been deadline buyers, but with Darcy Tucker set to become an unrestricted free agent, there's a dilemma in the making for GM John Ferguson. Tucker has matured and loves playing in Toronto, but he may cost more than Ferguson is willing to pay, and the Leafs desperately need to continue their rebuilding process after years of neglecting their farm system. Tucker may rub some people the wrong way, but he's a fierce competitor and, come playoff time, the kind of player who will go through a wall for you.

I WOULDN'T TOUCH HIM WITH A 10 FOOT POLE ALTHOUGH IT WOULD :monkeyp: the Toronto Maple Laugh fans :roflmao:

what I want to see is us "stay the staus quo" and work through this mess and resign Briere and Drury to long term deals, I think that's what they're trying to do, and they're not going to trade anybody.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=burnside_scott&id=2743713

hammerbillsfan
01-27-2007, 01:37 PM
Brewer is on the Blues, not Oilers.

Nighthawk
01-27-2007, 02:08 PM
Yes, I do feel that this team needs a shake up...now and not later. If this was just a few games, fine. However, look at it this way. For half of this season, the team played well and the other half they have played extremely poor. Right now, we are in the midst of the poor segment. To sit back and not address the issues with this team is ridiculous. I am a HUGE Sabres fan, but I'm not blinded by my allegiance to the team. This team just is not where it needs to be to win the Stanley Cup and that is all that should matter to anybody in the organization or the fans. I could absolutely care less if this team wins the division, if they don't win the Cup. My only desire is for this team to win it all and not just assume they have enough to do it. We're missing grit and I hate to say this, but by the looks of it lately, we are missing a little heart. As a fan, I would like to see this addressed. Just my opinion.

Nighthawk
01-27-2007, 02:11 PM
[QUOTE=LOSman WINS]Keep in mind he's gotta fit in with the team and not cause problems in that locker room and he's gotta be fast because were a fast skating team. I see no one were going after, and keep in mind were trying to re-sign Briere to a long term deal & Drury to a new deal :pray: also!

what I want to see is us "stay the staus quo" and work through this mess and resign Briere and Drury to long term deals, I think that's what they're trying to do, and they're not going to trade anybody.

Really? That's what you want? You do understand that the "status quo" at this time is losing and barely above .500 for the past 2 months...don't you? That kind of "status quo" will not win the cup.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-27-2007, 02:30 PM
and Larry Quinn said on the Morning Skate it's a podcast on sabres.com which I have downloaded on my Ipod with Kevin Sylvester and Sylvester asked Quinn about the second half of the season and how do you think it will go and if the Sabres will be buyers or sellers and he said that were going to "stick to the status quo and stick with the players we have this team is in 1st place in our division and first in the Eastern Conf. there's no need to make a trade we feel we have enough to get this done" Quinn also said that Dacy has been talking to Daniel Briere's and Chris Drury's agent trying to get a deal done. I think they want to get a deal done with Briere and Drury and not use the :$: to make a trade imo.

Nighthawk
01-27-2007, 02:36 PM
and Larry Quinn said on the Morning Skate it's a podcast on sabres.com with Kevin Sylvester and Sylvester asked Quinn about the second half of the season and how do you think it will go and if the Sabres will be buyers or sellers and he said that were going to "stick to the status quo and with the players we have" this team is in 1st place in our division and first in the Eastern Conf. but Dacy has been talking to Daniel Briere's and Chris Drury's agent trying to get a deal done. I think they want to get a deal done with Briere and Drury and not use the :$: to make a trade imo.

I understand he said that, but that does not make it correct. Signing Briere & Drury does not add to this team for this year. I would like to add some grit and heart (i.e. -veteran leadership) to this team for the playoff push. I truly believe it is a huge mistake if they don't. I hope I'm 100% wrong, but I've seen this happen before where we stood pat and we obviously never achieved the ultimate goal.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-27-2007, 02:43 PM
I understand he said that, but that does not make it correct. Signing Briere & Drury does not add to this team for this year. I would like to add some grit and heart (i.e. -veteran leadership) to this team for the playoff push. I truly believe it is a huge mistake if they don't. I hope I'm 100% wrong, but I've seen this happen before where we stood pat and we obviously never achieved the ultimate goal.

Lindy has also said that teams have changed the way that they play against us they know how to defend us now.

Dozerdog
01-27-2007, 03:05 PM
<TABLE class=statfull><TBODY><TR><TH>Player</TH><TH>Contract Notes</TH><TH>2006-2007 Salary (US)</TH></TR><TR class=one><TD align=left>Peter Forsberg</TD><TD align=left></TD><TD align=right>$5.75 million</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=statfull><TBODY><TR class=one><TD align=left>Craig Conroy</TD><TD align=left> </TD><TD align=right>$2.394 million</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=statfull><TBODY><TR class=one><TD align=left>Ladislav Nagy </TD><TD align=left>Awarded one-year at $3 million, Coyotes accepted</TD><TD align=right>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=statfull><TBODY><TR class=one><TD align=left>Keith Tkachuk</TD><TD align=left>Team option at $3.8M, $5.7M against cap</TD><TD align=right>

<TABLE class=statfull><TBODY><TR class=one><TD align=left>Bill Guerin</TD><TD align=left>One-year deal worth more with incentives</TD><TD align=right>$2 million</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=statfull><TBODY><TR class=one><TD align=left>Todd Bertuzzi</TD><TD align=left>Acquired in trade with Vancouver</TD><TD align=right>$5.269 million</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=statfull><TBODY><TR class=one><TD align=left>Brad Stuart</TD><TD align=left></TD><TD align=right>$2.4 million</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=statfull><TBODY><TR class=one><TD align=left>Eric Brewer</TD><TD align=left>Signed one-year deal</TD><TD align=right>$2 million</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=statfull><TBODY><TR class=one><TD align=left>Gary Roberts</TD><TD align=left></TD><TD align=right>$2.25 million</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=statfull><TBODY><TR class=one><TD align=left>Darcy Tucker</TD><TD align=left> </TD><TD align=right>$1.596 million</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Nighthawk
01-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Lindy has also said that teams have changed the way that they play against us they know how to defend us now.

Ok? That's even more reason why this team needs to make a trade to acquire more grit. I can see that teams are now playing the Sabres tougher and more aggressive and that it is indeed working. This is only going to get tougher as we get into the playoffs. Grit needs to be addressed and we should look for another defenseman because it looks like that is probably our biggest problem right now. When teams get in our zone, they bang us around and we don't handle it well. I don't know if this will be addressed, but I would like for it to be.

Nighthawk
01-27-2007, 03:17 PM
<TABLE class=statfull><TBODY><TR><TH>Player</TH><TH>Contract Notes</TH><TH>2006-2007 Salary (US)</TH></TR><TR class=one><TD align=left>Peter Forsberg</TD><TD align=left></TD><TD align=right>$5.75 million</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=statfull><TBODY><TR class=one><TD align=left>Craig Conroy</TD><TD align=left> </TD><TD align=right>$2.394 million</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=statfull><TBODY><TR class=one><TD align=left>Ladislav Nagy </TD><TD align=left>Awarded one-year at $3 million, Coyotes accepted</TD><TD align=right>

<TABLE class=statfull><TBODY><TR class=one><TD align=left>Keith Tkachuk</TD><TD align=left>Team option at $3.8M, $5.7M against cap</TD><TD align=right>

<TABLE class=statfull><TBODY><TR class=one><TD align=left>Bill Guerin</TD><TD align=left>One-year deal worth more with incentives</TD><TD align=right>$2 million</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=statfull><TBODY><TR class=one><TD align=left>Todd Bertuzzi</TD><TD align=left>Acquired in trade with Vancouver</TD><TD align=right>$5.269 million</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=statfull><TBODY><TR class=one><TD align=left>Brad Stuart</TD><TD align=left></TD><TD align=right>$2.4 million</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=statfull><TBODY><TR class=one><TD align=left>Eric Brewer</TD><TD align=left>Signed one-year deal</TD><TD align=right>$2 million</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=statfull><TBODY><TR class=one><TD align=left>Gary Roberts</TD><TD align=left></TD><TD align=right>$2.25 million</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=statfull><TBODY><TR class=one><TD align=left>Darcy Tucker</TD><TD align=left> </TD><TD align=right>$1.596 million</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I wouldn't mind seeing Guerin here and he would cost an arm & a leg.