PDA

View Full Version : This probably isn't true, but Toronto?

TedMock
01-27-2007, 03:14 PM
I should pass it along anyway. I received this email this morning. Take it for what it's worth - a rumor. Who knows if there is any truth to it. It can't hurt to get the word out. Well, here it is...
............................................................................................................................
>To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>
>Subject: FYI Bills in TO
>Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 12:05:09 -0500
>
>Don't know if this is true but...............
>Got this from a friend of mine.
>
>This guy I work with let me in on some information about the Bills
future
>in WNY. Apparently, this person was at a dinner meeting with Tom
Golisano
>in early September in Buffalo. At this meeting Golisano dropped a
>bombshell about the nefarious Ralph Wilson. Golisano claims that
Wilson's
>intentions all along have been to move the Bills to Toronto. Stay
with me
>on this......there are businessmen in Toronto that are ready to plunk
down
>mega-millions for the Bills and move them there. Wilson already let
the
>NFL know of this (Apparently they can't stop him either). Golisano &
the
>people from Rich Products offered Wilson a similar financial package
but
>Wilson demurred....when they offered him more, he demurred again...&
said
>he wouldn't sell the team to them no matter how much they offered;
it's not
>about money. Wilson wants it to be his legacy that he be the first
person
>to bring international play to the NFL. Still with me..? There's
more....
>Not to be dismayed, TG went to the NFL & has an agreement that when
the
>Bills move, they cannot take their name with them, ala Baltimore
>Colts/Ravens. After the move to TO, Buffalo will be granted an
expansion
>franchise with the promise that they build a new stadium & sell it out
for
>5 consecutive years. (the NFL wants a franchise in Buffalo because
it's
>one of the original teams & has history in the league) TG agreed to do
this
>& will build a DOMED stadium on the waterfront in Buffalo with a
capacity
>of 60,000. In addition, Buffalo will be granted a Super Bowl in the
future.
> The caveat to this is that Buffalo will be without a football team
for
>3-4 years. The wheels are already in motion & no one can stop it. TG
says
>that RW is playing the game right now..ie: crying the blues about
money,
>saying enjoy the team while it's here, not signing/keeping star
players,
>etc. Next year or possibly the year after the BIlls will be gone.
Willis
>McGahee may have let the cat out of the bag with his recent TO talk in
>Penthouse. Star players don't want to come to B-lo because they know
RW
>is a tight ass. TG also said that if he ran the team he will not be
such a
>cheapskate & would turn things around in a hurry like he did with the
>Sabres.
>
>Now I realize how all this sounds & you probably let out a big laugh &
said
>"bull****" but this guy has no reason to lie to me. (I can read
people
>pretty well too) I don't say much to him when I see him other than
"hi."
>We just happened to be proctoring an exam together yesterday when we
>started talking about sports. This guy is a sports nut who travels
all
>over the country for various sporting events. We must expose the
walking
>corpse that is Ralph Wilson. Send this to everyone you know &
encourage
>people to call radio shows & expose this turd. We may not be able to
stop
>it, but we can let him know we will not be fooled & bamboozled. And
when he
>dies, which I hope is VERY SOON, we can all fly to Detroit & take a
big
>piss on his grave.....
>

DMBcrew36
01-27-2007, 03:17 PM
interesting

Forward_Lateral
01-27-2007, 03:20 PM
I have a hard time believing the NFL will allow this, to be honest. Sounds more like a conspiracy theory to me.

Dozerdog
:rofl:

Nighthawk
Don't know if it is true, but I'm not a big fan of Ralph and wouldn't put it past him to do such a thing. That being said, it sounds like a false report.

Carlton Bailey
01-27-2007, 03:21 PM
I wouldn't try to stop this, because it sounds absolutely awesome. A waterfront stadium with Tom Golisano as our owner...and a Super Bowl??!! Where do I sign? This sounds like a big lie anyway, but I hope it happens.

Dr. Lecter
01-27-2007, 03:22 PM
The story is BS.

This part:

NFL know of this (Apparently they can't stop him either)

Is false. All teams that move get a vote by the NFL. And if it was happening, no way in hell our dip**** RB finds out about before it happens.

TedMock
01-27-2007, 03:23 PM
I have a hard time believing the NFL will allow this, to be honest. Sounds more like a conspiracy theory to me.

I agree and hopefully I didn't just cause a mass paranoia. I probably did, but that wasn't my intention. I just figured it's worth mentioning; just-in-case.

Forward_Lateral
01-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Do you guys even know how much money it would cost Toronto for this? I highly doubt they'd put up over 100 million so some 90 year old who's ready to die anytime soon could bring his team into their city.

Philagape
01-27-2007, 03:25 PM
The story is BS.

This part:

NFL know of this (Apparently they can't stop him either)

Is false. All teams that move get a vote by the NFL. And if it was happening, no way in hell our dip**** RB finds out about before it happens.

It's all an act; Willis is really the mastermind behind it.

Carlton Bailey
01-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Willis probably knows who was on the grassy knoll...

Goobylal
01-27-2007, 03:35 PM
LOL! Where do I begin?

First of all, the NFL would LOVE to have a team in Toronto. They've been saying as much for years now. And what's taking Ralph so long to sell to them? He's have the opportunity, well, forever to make that move. But as has been stated, the NFL has to approve the sale, so assuming the NFL wants to keep the Bills in Buffalo, which I think is BS itself, they can block this.

As for Golisano not being a cheapskate, sorry but when he took over the Sabres, he didn't spend a lot on the cap and didn't change much in the organization. Fortunately for him, the NHL adopted a cap to level the playing ice and Regier and Ruff anticipated the rules changes, and then FINALLY he opened up his wallet this year. But make no mistake; if the Sabres don't win it all and/or finished with a profit this year, he won't be spending to the limit again. And I'm fine with that as long as it keeps the Sabres in Buffalo. The point being that execting Golisano to be a spendthrift if he were to buy the team is pure fantasy in and of itself.

Last of all, the region CANNOT support a new stadium. Although I like the idea of a new stadium with a dome (it would have to be retractable, and kept open during games and closed other times to make it useful all year round), it's not feasible given the money woes of the region.

TigerJ
01-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Let's just say I'm highly skeptical and leave it at that.

Dozerdog
01-27-2007, 03:41 PM
Sounds like a cheesy chain letter that only ******s would fall for and send along.

Carlton Bailey
01-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Sounds like a cheesy chain letter that only ******s would fall for and send along.

Shut up. It seems I'm in line to inherit Bill Gates-type money from the King of Nigeria's grandson's nephew's dog.

Goobylal
01-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Shut up. It seems I'm in line to inherit Bill Gates-type money from the King of Nigeria's grandson's nephew's dog.
Oh yeah? Well I'm getting a trust fund from the Ivory Coast!

DMBcrew36
01-27-2007, 03:49 PM

yep :crazy: :drool:

Mitchy moo
01-27-2007, 03:49 PM
One thing has changed that almost makes this feasible, the canadian dollar hasn't been this close to the U.S. Dollar in a very long time. The exchange rates are ~.15 off and if canada was ever going to buy a US team, now would seem like a good time.

Dr. Lecter
01-27-2007, 03:50 PM
C'mon people. It is a well known fact that Skooby's rich friend is buying the Bills very shortly.

OpIv37
01-27-2007, 03:50 PM
this is pure BS for one reason and one reason only: the NFL would NEVER allow a team in Buffalo and a team in Toronto. The Bills already draw too much support from southern Ontario and the region can't support two franchises. Sorry, but WNY/Southern Ontario isn't exactly Baltimore/Washington or the NYC area. There aren't enough fans (read: money) to have two profitable teams.

The part about moving to Toronto may be true, but the rest of it simply doesn't match up with economic realities.

Mitchy moo
01-27-2007, 04:00 PM
C'mon people. It is a well known fact that Skooby's rich friend is buying the Bills very shortly.

My friend is your life partner, Bruce smith.

Dr. Lecter
01-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Just busting your balls Skoob. You know I like ya' and your optimism.

Mitchy moo
01-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Just busting your balls Skoob. You know I like ya' and your optimism.

Me too Doc, just kidding.

Devin
01-27-2007, 04:44 PM
Now I realize how all this sounds & you probably let out a big laugh &
said "bull****"

Yup.

Forward_Lateral
01-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Opi has a point too, there's no way the NFL allows both the Bills to move to Toronto, then grants Buffalo another team. No chance. The NFL has already stated that EXPANDING is NOT an option. Also, he's right, it'd be tough for both teams to co-exist in the same area.

ParanoidAndroid
01-27-2007, 05:08 PM
I echo Op's sentiment. He beat me to the punch. Also:
The NFL does have oversight on these things, so saying Wilson refused equal money from those who would keep the team in Buffalo, just to move the team to Toronto and then grant an expansion after all that is senseless. If they want a team in Toronto, and the league has plans to expand, they would simply grant an expansion to Toronto.
That said, something positive is going to have to happen to the economy in and around the city of Buffalo or it will be a matter of time before the franchise finds greener pastures. I just hope they win the big one before then.
Keep investing in the biotechnology sector and something huge will happen. Biotech and nanotech are the future of American industry. Bring 'em in Buffalo!

Ingtar33
01-27-2007, 05:28 PM
i have two words for this "email-chain letter" but they violate the TOS.

here's a hint, the first letters from the words in question are "b" and "s"

deathadder
01-27-2007, 05:31 PM
I stopped reading after I saw Rich Products offered Wilson to buy out the Bills. Rich Products laid off the people in Buffalo and moved their factory to other states. Why in the hell would they want to buy the Bills now when they don't have anything to do withg Buffalo anymore. Sure, they still have some parts of the factory in Buffalo, but that will all be gone soon too.

clumping platelets
01-28-2007, 12:01 AM
I'll let the cat out of the bag:

:clump: is buying the Bills and I'm making BillsZone the official website. I will hire Zoners as the coaching staff, because they obviously know more than present NFL people, BZ women will be the cheerleaders, :eb: will be our new PR director, Phil is official photog, we will have JJ doing the Jumbotron and.........anyone at BZ who has been given bans of any type, will be the concession stand workers, and right-wing nut jobs will not be allowed to work security for obvious reasons.

More to follow.........

LifetimeBillsFan
01-28-2007, 01:41 AM
....Keep investing in the biotechnology sector and something huge will happen. Biotech and nanotech are the future of American industry. Bring 'em in Buffalo!

They should be to the future of Buffalo and WNY what the steel, chemical and grain shipping industries were to its past. I can only hope that the business and political leaders of the region will make it so.

jamze132
01-28-2007, 02:48 AM
There's no way there is a franchise in Buffalo and Toronto at the same time. I could eventually see the Bills in Toronto but I doubt it. I think the Bills will stay in Buffalo and get a new stadium, eventually.

Dozerdog
01-28-2007, 08:25 AM
i have two words for this "email-chain letter" but they violate the TOS.

here's a hint, the first letters from the words in question are "b" and "s"

Baloney Soup!!!!

There - I said it for ya..:up:

DMBcrew36
01-28-2007, 08:32 AM
Nothing ever gets done in Western New York, but I think this team could use a new domed stadium. A new stadium downtown would be one step in the right direction for the city and its revival. A lot of people don't like sitting in the cold at the Ralph and don't go to games for that reason. If we had a domed stadium downtown, the Bills would sell a lot more tickets. A domed stadium could also be used as a convention center and such.

M
01-28-2007, 09:24 AM
That said, something positive is going to have to happen to the economy in and around the city of Buffalo or it will be a matter of time before the franchise finds greener pastures. I just hope they win the big one before then.
Keep investing in the biotechnology sector and something huge will happen. Biotech and nanotech are the future of American industry. Bring 'em in Buffalo!

Well, Labatt's is moving their headquarters back to Buffalo from CT. That's a start...

HHURRICANE
01-28-2007, 11:20 AM
This is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.

If the Bills move we will never, ever, see another franchise here. Period. How long has LA been without the Rams? If Wilson ever passed on comprable money to not keep the team in Buffalo I would make it my mission, every year, to fly to Michigan and piss on his grave.

When FA shows up in 5 weeks everything you need to know about Ralph will be answered. If he spends and attempts to bring us a winner than the teams fate falls squarely on the fans, local government, and NY State.

I'm pretty sure that WNY voted for Hilary when she was running for Senate. I've seen her doing an excellent job of working on the fate of the Bills. Maybe when WNYs start getting smart about their politics than things will change around there.

HHURRICANE
01-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Nothing ever gets done in Western New York, but I think this team could use a new domed stadium. A new stadium downtown would be one step in the right direction for the city and its revival. A lot of people don't like sitting in the cold at the Ralph and don't go to games for that reason. If we had a domed stadium downtown, the Bills would sell a lot more tickets. A domed stadium could also be used as a convention center and such.

I have a business, and I know of many others that would move to Buffalo if not for NY State and all of the BS. Why has NC, SC and GA grown so much? No red tape, no taxes and incentives to move businesses there.

Buffalo has so much land. It's insane. Why not develop economic zones where employers don't pay taxes for X years? All of your new, Buffalo, employess will be paying taxes so NY state comes out way ahead.

A domed stadium makes too much sense. If they can't get the funding in NYC what makes you think your going to get it in Buffalo? By the way Golisano is not rich enough to buy the Bills and finance a new stadium. PERIOD.

Typ0
01-29-2007, 12:50 PM
this is pure BS for one reason and one reason only: the NFL would NEVER allow a team in Buffalo and a team in Toronto. The Bills already draw too much support from southern Ontario and the region can't support two franchises. Sorry, but WNY/Southern Ontario isn't exactly Baltimore/Washington or the NYC area. There aren't enough fans (read: money) to have two profitable teams.

The part about moving to Toronto may be true, but the rest of it simply doesn't match up with economic realities.

there is a greater population in WNY/Southern Ontario than in Baltimore/Washington I believe. NYC metro is twice the size of WNY/Southern Ontario.

Typ0
01-29-2007, 12:52 PM
This is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.

If the Bills move we will never, ever, see another franchise here. Period. How long has LA been without the Rams? If Wilson ever passed on comprable money to not keep the team in Buffalo I would make it my mission, every year, to fly to Michigan and piss on his grave.

When FA shows up in 5 weeks everything you need to know about Ralph will be answered. If he spends and attempts to bring us a winner than the teams fate falls squarely on the fans, local government, and NY State.

I'm pretty sure that WNY voted for Hilary when she was running for Senate. I've seen her doing an excellent job of working on the fate of the Bills. Maybe when WNYs start getting smart about their politics than things will change around there.

the Raiders were put into LA after the RAMS I believe.

THATHURMANATOR
01-29-2007, 12:58 PM
This is a lot to swallow....... I would hope Wilson burns in hell for it and the city of Toronto burns to the ground.....

THATHURMANATOR
01-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Another dumb thing about this is if the NFL is going to award an expansion team to Buffalo in 3 years why not just wait and give the thing to Toronto. It makes NO SENSE....