PDA

View Full Version : BILLS: Eight steps toward the Super Bowl

Don't Panic
01-28-2007, 09:24 AM
This is a pretty good read which puts the total picture into light:

http://www.niagara-gazette.com/local/local_story_027230236.html

Key points: Endorsing the signing of Briggs, slight tinkering with the O line, bye bye Willis... may not agree with all of them, but all in all a decent diagnosis.

kernowboy
01-28-2007, 09:30 AM
A very very good analysis.

1) Continuing Losman's development is a no-brainer. I can see the team having more confidence in him next season and opening up the playbook
2) I think we can all agree you'd have to be pretty dumb to give up a No1 for Willis. The only way we'd get value would be to trade him after the draft if someone has injuries. Even then we may only get Day1 value. I'd simply have him run out his contract
3) The only problem I'd have is that I would shocked if Briggs doesn't get tagged. I am not sure if we want to give up multiple draft picks for him. I'd like to see the impact LB in R1 with either Timmons, Willis or Posluzny
4) Agreed on Clements. He is very good cornerback but not the great one his demands warrant. Again unless the team have already given up on Youboty, we may get in young veteran help or see who also slides to R3 or lower come the draft
5) Agreed and I'm not sure Steinbach is even a fit for what we need. We either sign a RG like Dielman or Womack or we draft a roadgrader in R3 and have Merz, Preston and the Rookie compete for the position
6) Totally agree, but Branch won't be at No12. Okoye might but there are question marks. In R2 there might be Justin Harrell, on Day2 there might be Soliai or Keenan Carter all who can play the 1-tackle and rotate with Williams. Or see if McCargo can play at 1-tackle and consider someone like Rien Long to rotate with Tripplett
7) Agreed but bring back Hargrove to. 1 great DE + 3 servicable DEs are as good as we can hope at this stage.
8) Marv has said already he is slightly suspicious of awarding big deals to free agents and then seeing them flop in new surroundings. Thats why I think he'll be cautious about Briggs no matter how good he is. I think we will continue to look to build in the draft and I would not be surprised to see 4 starters come in the draft maybe 5 if we trade down in R1

YardRat
01-28-2007, 10:07 AM
Nothing we haven't already seen on these boards the last few weeks.

Losman does need to continue to improve: Willis is gone but preparing for his absence isn't necessary this off-season, unless someone irresistable falls into our lap: wouldn't mind seeing Briggs here, but not for un-Godly dollars...I'd be happy with Ellison-Crowell-Spikes and a first-day rookie to start the season; Nate's gone, we need a free agent or first day corner at least for depth and/or the future; we need at least one new starter on the o-line, most likely RG and Steinbach won't be worth the money he's going to get; we need another DT; I'd like to see Kelsay and Gandy re-signed, along with Thomas; TRUST in Marv...he's forgotten more about professional football than most people in the league right now have ever known.

HHURRICANE
01-28-2007, 11:46 AM
What's this guy smoking?

1) We need another stud on the O-line. PERIOD. I have no problem with resigning Gandy and actually think it's a big mistake if we don't. We need a starting RB or Center.

2) If we don't win the bidding war for Briggs we better have a good plan B because the starting crew of Ellison, Crowell, and Spikes scares the crap out of me.

3) I agree that we need a DT that can push the middle. However, I have yet to see a rookie come in and dominate at that position. Branch hasn't been overly impressive to me as a high first rounder. I'd rather see a veteran here.

4) Kelsay is expendable. Hargrove going to DE and bringing meet in the middle makes alot more sense. Denney is under contract for another year and even though I don't like him either they play about the same. Denney will play even harder because it's his last year.

kernowboy
01-28-2007, 12:32 PM
What's this guy smoking?

1) We need another stud on the O-line. PERIOD. I have no problem with resigning Gandy and actually think it's a big mistake if we don't. We need a starting RB or Center.

2) If we don't win the bidding war for Briggs we better have a good plan B because the starting crew of Ellison, Crowell, and Spikes scares the crap out of me.

3) I agree that we need a DT that can push the middle. However, I have yet to see a rookie come in and dominate at that position. Branch hasn't been overly impressive to me as a high first rounder. I'd rather see a veteran here.

4) Kelsay is expendable. Hargrove going to DE and bringing meet in the middle makes alot more sense. Denney is under contract for another year and even though I don't like him either they play about the same. Denney will play even harder because it's his last year.

1) I think everyone agrees the principle need on the OL is the RG. Free Agency could be the route .. if not R3 should do. In his contract year, McGahee WILL perform as even he is bright enough to know he'll not get another contract that will equate to his ego anywhere if he doesn't. We can get his replacement in 08

2) Plan B is probably Lawrence Timmons, Paul Posluzny or Patrick Willis. There is no guarantee that Briggs will thrive when Urlacher isn't alongside.

3) there really is only poor quality amongst the vets. If we could trade a R2 for Randy Starks then that would work .. a young vet with upside.

4) Even with Hargrove at DE, a 4th DE would be useful. This is in addition to getting meat in the middle. If we don't want to excessively overpay, bringing back Kelsay who displayed some promise last year is not such a bad option. It says "perform, and we will treat you correctly"

Tatonka
01-28-2007, 12:40 PM
denny just resigned a 4 year deal last offseason i believe.

Tatonka
01-28-2007, 12:41 PM
by the way, i agree almost completely with the article.

patmoran2006
01-28-2007, 02:56 PM
denny just resigned a 4 year deal last offseason i believe.
He did but its so ridiculously back-loaded that if he doesnt restructure there is no way he's staying.

ICE74129
01-28-2007, 03:34 PM
I don't agree with it. So he wants to take an average line and fill it with another average FA? Hasn't years of not making the playoffs gotten through to clowns like him?

As for as mcnally, I can tell you as one of his biggest supporters when he got here, I have been very un impressed with his working of this line.

Bottom line if we are going to be a playoff team the following needs to happen...

1) RG needs to be a STUD in Free agency. No more lower tiered FA's

2) DT needs to be addressed in Free agency with someone that can make an impact. Scott from Chicago knows the system and can fill the nose position.

3) TWO Linebackers need to be brought in. Sorry to those in fantasy land, TKO will never be what he was. I say Briggs in FA and Draft Patrick Willis to play ILB for us the next 12 years or so. Now with those two starting along with Crowell, we have the athleticism we need at LB to play the cover 2.

4) Trade Willis. First year, last year of his contract doesnt' matter. He is an average back. Re sign atrain and let him battle it out with our 2nd round pick.

5) sign a more impact #2 WR

6) bring in a CB like Harper from Indy that understands this defense to battle with yobotay.

If we can do that then this team is going to get better immediately and be a playoff team

Don't Panic
01-28-2007, 06:17 PM

3) TWO Linebackers need to be brought in. Sorry to those in fantasy land, TKO will never be what he was. I say Briggs in FA and Draft Patrick Willis to play ILB for us the next 12 years or so. Now with those two starting along with Crowell, we have the athleticism we need at LB to play the cover 2.

4) Trade Willis. First year, last year of his contract doesnt' matter. He is an average back. Re sign atrain and let him battle it out with our 2nd round pick.

1) If a stud is a first tier guy and average is a third tier guy, then we need a second tier guy. I agree with you that bringing in guys like Reyes and Anderson (ie other teams scraps) has got to stop, but I also think its a bad move to overspend on the #1 or 2 RG out there.

3) We can get by with one LB being brought in (Briggs or Willis are definitely the targets)... Crowell inside and Ellison/Spikes outside with one more addition will be good enough IMO.

4) Trade Willis, but only if we can get a second rounder. I agree with those above who said we'll never get a 1st, but he's definitely worth a 2nd. if not, ride him out, whether he suits or sits.

ICE74129
01-28-2007, 06:49 PM
1) If a stud is a first tier guy and average is a third tier guy, then we need a second tier guy. I agree with you that bringing in guys like Reyes and Anderson (ie other teams scraps) has got to stop, but I also think its a bad move to overspend on the #1 or 2 RG out there.

3) We can get by with one LB being brought in (Briggs or Willis are definitely the targets)... Crowell inside and Ellison/Spikes outside with one more addition will be good enough IMO.

4) Trade Willis, but only if we can get a second rounder. I agree with those above who said we'll never get a 1st, but he's definitely worth a 2nd. if not, ride him out, whether he suits or sits.

bottom line...Ellison is NOT a starter in the NFL. his play showed that this year. he is a great rotational/ backup guy. We need a clear cut starter opposite Crowell with ellison spelling them. We must draft a stud ILB.

As for as guard, I disagree. Its time to PAY for a flat out stud that can smack the hell outta guys. Look at how far Alexanders play fell off, and the Vikings game improved by JUST Signing ONE STUD at Guard.

Mr. Cynical
01-28-2007, 10:37 PM
I don't agree with it. So he wants to take an average line and fill it with another average FA? Hasn't years of not making the playoffs gotten through to clowns like him?

As for as mcnally, I can tell you as one of his biggest supporters when he got here, I have been very un impressed with his working of this line.

Bottom line if we are going to be a playoff team the following needs to happen...

2) DT needs to be addressed in Free agency with someone that can make an impact. Scott from Chicago knows the system and can fill the nose position.

5) sign a more impact #2 WR

6) bring in a CB like Harper from Indy that understands this defense to battle with yobotay.

If we can do that then this team is going to get better immediately and be a playoff team

It pains me to say it but I completely agree with this....

PECKERWOOD
01-29-2007, 02:46 AM
Womack already turned down Buffalo once, he would probably do it again.. Steinbach and Dielman can be had and honestly, I think I want Dielman out of the two.. Briggs has a good shot at getting tagged and with that said, there will be alot of teams fighting over June. At this stage in the game, I feel like drafting a LB would be the smartest move. We should try to trade Willis McGahee for anything on the 1st day, anything after that is unacceptable and in which case we should have him play out the remainder of his contract here.

jamze132
01-29-2007, 03:31 AM
We trully need a "big name" guard to come through free agency. I would then let Penninton, Butler, and whoever else is brought it battle it out for RT. And we need fat bastards on the D-line. Tim Anderson must go.

Don't Panic
01-29-2007, 05:51 AM
bottom line...Ellison is NOT a starter in the NFL. his play showed that this year. he is a great rotational/ backup guy. We need a clear cut starter opposite Crowell with ellison spelling them. We must draft a stud ILB.

As for as guard, I disagree. Its time to PAY for a flat out stud that can smack the hell outta guys. Look at how far Alexanders play fell off, and the Vikings game improved by JUST Signing ONE STUD at Guard.

We have to be realistic about just how many guys are going to be brought in by OBD this offseason. If you truly expect Ralph to open the vault for a stud RG, an impact DT, a LB on par with Briggs, an impact #2 WR and a CB on par with Harper then you haven't been paying attention. That would be great, and I completely agree that those would all be worthy additions, but it ain't gonna happen. We need to be more realistic about our goals and, as a very recent thread pointed out, expect Marv to try to build through the draft.

ICE74129
01-29-2007, 07:33 AM
We have to be realistic about just how many guys are going to be brought in by OBD this offseason. If you truly expect Ralph to open the vault for a stud RG, an impact DT, a LB on par with Briggs, an impact #2 WR and a CB on par with Harper then you haven't been paying attention. That would be great, and I completely agree that those would all be worthy additions, but it ain't gonna happen. We need to be more realistic about our goals and, as a very recent thread pointed out, expect Marv to try to build through the draft.

Then we need to be realistic, we aren't going to compete for **** for the next 3-5 years.

kernowboy
01-29-2007, 07:35 AM
Womack already turned down Buffalo once, he would probably do it again.. Steinbach and Dielman can be had and honestly, I think I want Dielman out of the two.. Briggs has a good shot at getting tagged and with that said, there will be alot of teams fighting over June. At this stage in the game, I feel like drafting a LB would be the smartest move. We should try to trade Willis McGahee for anything on the 1st day, anything after that is unacceptable and in which case we should have him play out the remainder of his contract here.

I sort of agree both with you and with ICE

RG - we need a roadgrader which Steinbach is not. Dielmann is the better.

LB - Briggs will get tagged. I don't want to give up picks. We draft a LB like Willis or Posluzny and also see if we can get Boss Bailey. Add to Crowell with Ellison as depth and we are decent here.

RB - we retain Willis. He will run hard next year - and we will struggle to get more than a low 3rd rounder. With the astonishing depth at RB next year, his replacement is a decision that can be successfully postponed. I doubt Marv will panic. This years RB class is poor though there may be a diamond in the rough in Day2

WR - if we want size and speed at No2 WR, give Lelie a shout. I've read all the bad press but if he isn't only good not exceptional, there are good WRs coming out next year, which have the size of Jarrett and are substantially quicker

NT - for me this is a problem. With Tank Johnson's problems I reckon he will be resigned immediately. We can try to trade a R2 for Randy Starks or we can see what there is in R2 in the draft. An aging guy with little left in the tank will stall the teams progress not accelerate it.

I don't just want to go to the playoffs I want us back in the Superbowl which means patient building not panic quick fixes

ICE74129
01-29-2007, 07:38 AM
Here is what you do with Willis....Package him and our #2 to move backup in the first round and get a top RB or another LB to go with Willis being picked at #12.

Or hell package our 3rd and him to move up to a higher 3rd and pick up that same teams 2nd to boot.

Everyone keeps thinking 'just get X pick for willis' and you can't think that way. Package him and get more for the TEAM.

Don't Panic
01-29-2007, 07:54 AM
Then we need to be realistic, we aren't going to compete for **** for the next 3-5 years.

Totally disagree... its not what you spend, its how you spend. The Colts and the Pats have proven that with their dominance of the AFC for the entire decade. Having faith in some of the guys we drafted is going to be a requirement if we are going to be competitive... especially with Ralph running the show. His frugality (really inability to throw around big market signing bonuses) combined with Marv's approach may just work out to be winning combination. We have to be patient, though, and realisitic that FA change is going to be modest.

Talk0fNewYork
01-29-2007, 08:24 AM
1. Sign Briggs, Move Crowell to ILB.

2. Sign Harper or Lewis, let Thomas and Youboty be 3rd and 4th.

3. Try To Sign Turner, If Not Draft Lynch at 12, Get Willis Out Of Here.

4. Beef Up Both Lines.

5. Get A Big Speedy Target.