PDA

View Full Version : Polian Profile Offers Insight Into Levy's Approach, Too

LifetimeBillsFan
01-28-2007, 11:18 AM
It is well-known that former Bills GM and current Colts GM Bill Polian and Bills GM Marv Levy have had a close relationship with one another over the years. When he was with Montreal, Levy urged the Allouettes owner to give Polian his first full time job scouting job in pro football. Later, when Polian became the Bills' GM, he had a role in hiring Levy as the Bills' Head Coach. And, Marv has stated that, at some point after Ralph Wilson offered Levy the opportunity to become the Bills GM (I don't recall if he said that it was before he accepted the job or in the days right after--although I suspect the latter), he talked with Polian about the job. It is quite apparent from Levy's book that he and Polian worked well together and had a similar/compatible approach to building a football team. For those reasons, I believe that Vic Carrucci's profile of Polian on NFL.com offers some insight for Bills fans into what Levy's approach to building the Bills is and will be:

"....He methodically went about working the draft to put together a club that would be good, if not great, over a prolonged stretch. Free agency is for quick fixes that, at best, will generate short-term success. For Polian, the best players are homegrown. He has as keen an eye for identifying NFL talent in the college ranks as anyone in league history. He has authored a "scouting bible" for Colts scouts to use when assessing players. The basic requirements to play for Polian's team are intelligence, good character and proper football temperament (which is another way of saying that, even though most of them have a gentlemanly demeanor off the field, they can take and deliver hits with the best of them). He wants players who will learn from a superb teacher, Dungy, just as the Buffalo players he acquired learned from another exceptional teacher, Hall of Famer Marv Levy...."
http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/9952252

It is also interesting to note that in Polian's first two seasons in Buffalo after arriving in 1984, the Bills went 2-14. Even with Polian's ability to spot talent, it still took some time to turn the Bills around and build them into the team that went to the Super Bowl four years in a row. Similarly, even though Peyton Manning was his first draft pick with the Colts, it took the Colts six years to reach their first AFC Championship Game and has taken 8 years for them to make it to the Super Bowl.

Obviously, Bill Polian's approach has not been to go for the "quick fix" and everything that Marv Levy has said and done since becoming the Bills' GM indicates that he shares this philosophy. While the Bills team that Levy took over last January were not in as bad shape as the Bills team that Polian joined in 1984 or the Colts when Polian became their GM, I think that Bills fans should anticipate that, if Levy continues to follow the kind of "larger picture-longer term" approach to building the team that Polian has followed, it may take another year or two before they see the kinds of results that they want. No doubt this will serve to only further infuriate and frustrate those Bills fans who are already disappointed and upset about how long it has been since the Bills last made it to the playoffs. But, for those who point to the success of the Bills teams of the early 1990s and the current Colts as examples of what they want the Bills to become again, it is important to understand that those teams did not turn around and become successful overnight and that, if Levy plans to follow the same blueprint in turning these Bills into a team that contend for a title over a prolonged stretch, they should not expect any "quick fixes" for this team.

Kerr
01-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Good post, as always lbf. Unfortunately, this will probably mean that marv won't sign any big name free agents and keep building from the draft. I guess the fans will have to be patient for another year or two until they start seeing results.

LifetimeBillsFan
01-28-2007, 12:30 PM
I don't think Marv's averse to spending money on a high-priced free agent if he thinks he will be a difference maker for the team: Polian brought in Corey Simon and, then after he was injured, Anthony McFarland--neither of whom was cheap--because he felt that they would be key pieces to the Colts defensive puzzle. And, I think Marv may do the same thing. But, he's not going to try to build the team around high-priced free agents the way that Donohoe did and I think anyone who has a grocery list of name free agents that he thinks the Bills should sign will end up being very disappointed.

kernowboy
01-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Simon was relatively cheap and didn't cost too much did he?

McFarland, he cost a draft pick but then he needs to be compared with the poorer DT class in this years draft

ICE74129
01-28-2007, 03:37 PM
You know LBF thats all and good....if....

1) this plan with Marv as GM was implemented 5 years ago.

2) we didn't have an owner that will most likely die or be totally incapable of running/owning this team in about 3-5 years.

Sorry but the time for building long term for the bills is over. We need to win NOW if you want to possibly see the BUFFALO (get the hint...as in a team IN buffalo) Bills win something.

PECKERWOOD
01-28-2007, 05:40 PM
You know LBF thats all and good....if....

1) this plan with Marv as GM was implemented 5 years ago.

2) we didn't have an owner that will most likely die or be totally incapable of running/owning this team in about 3-5 years.

Sorry but the time for building long term for the bills is over. We need to win NOW if you want to possibly see the BUFFALO (get the hint...as in a team IN buffalo) Bills win something.

I think if we steadily improve over the next couple of years, we will be in good shape. It's not like if Buffalo doesn't come out and win the superbowl next season the team will get moved! I so far like what Jauron and Marv have done, but this upcoming season will be the real testament on whether or not Marv and Jauron were good hires.

ICE74129
01-28-2007, 06:52 PM
I think if we steadily improve over the next couple of years, we will be in good shape. It's not like if Buffalo doesn't come out and win the superbowl next season the team will get moved! I so far like what Jauron and Marv have done, but this upcoming season will be the real testament on whether or not Marv and Jauron were good hires.

Over the next couple of years? I am not joking nor being a jerk here...ralph most likely won't be here 3 years from now. That is no BS. I don't want to hear about he plays tennis blah blah blah. The guy was so jacked up he couldn't even get here some this year and that is a first.

It is past time for ralph to say screw it and spend greatly to get the team in the playoffs THIS YEAR and hell maybe a shot at a ring. I have seen too many times teams go from crap to Superbowl in one damn offseason. Marv used this last offseason to lay the ground work, its time to finally put the touches on it and lets get in the playoffs NOW.

jamze132
01-29-2007, 03:46 AM
We need to get rid of Tim Anderson and everything will play out.

Forward_Lateral
01-29-2007, 06:07 AM
Over the next couple of years? I am not joking nor being a jerk here...ralph most likely won't be here 3 years from now. That is no BS. I don't want to hear about he plays tennis blah blah blah. The guy was so jacked up he couldn't even get here some this year and that is a first.

It is past time for ralph to say screw it and spend greatly to get the team in the playoffs THIS YEAR and hell maybe a shot at a ring. I have seen too many times teams go from crap to Superbowl in one damn offseason. Marv used this last offseason to lay the ground work, its time to finally put the touches on it and lets get in the playoffs NOW.

So you are playing God now? How do you know Ralph won't be here in 3 years? That's the most idiotic, asanine thing anyone's ever written here. Might as well bury him now, hell, he's only got a few years to live, according to you. I said it before, and I'll say it again, stick to your pop-warner football, because that's about all you know.

jamze132
01-29-2007, 06:27 AM
ROFL!!!

ICE74129
01-29-2007, 07:10 AM
So you are playing God now? How do you know Ralph won't be here in 3 years? That's the most idiotic, asanine thing anyone's ever written here. Might as well bury him now, hell, he's only got a few years to live, according to you. I said it before, and I'll say it again, stick to your pop-warner football, because that's about all you know.

I said it before and will say it again, you are the perfect example why brothers and sisters should never breed. But that said, the old man isn't going to be here much longer period. Anyone who can't get that fact is well...pretty much the product of inbreeding.

And I know the breeding issue has hurt your reading comprhension but Fumbled_lay please try to understand, I don't coach pop warner football, never have.

jamze132
01-29-2007, 07:12 AM
Well a lady who was 114 just died.

ICE74129
01-29-2007, 07:31 AM
Well a lady who was 114 just died.

Here is what Backward_Rtard missed....

"2) we didn't have an owner that will most likely die or be totally incapable of running/owning this team in about 3-5 years."

He also missed the point it could be in 4 years or 5 years.

Anyone that is not the most absolute homeristic Ralph suckup was VERY concerned about his abilities to still own this team listening to his press confrences this last offseason.

'But ICE, He is much more alert than guys his age'. Yeah? Well that is saying Forest gump is smarter than most other ******s.

Gunzlingr
01-29-2007, 09:22 AM
Looks like Ice didn't learn to play nice during his little vacation.

Forward_Lateral
01-29-2007, 10:00 AM
I said it before and will say it again, you are the perfect example why brothers and sisters should never breed. But that said, the old man isn't going to be here much longer period. Anyone who can't get that fact is well...pretty much the product of inbreeding.

And I know the breeding issue has hurt your reading comprhension but Fumbled_lay please try to understand, I don't coach pop warner football, never have.

Again, you prove your lack of intelligence. The father of that kid should've pounded the crap out of you when he had the chance.

Forward_Lateral
01-29-2007, 10:02 AM
Here is what Backward_Rtard missed....

"2) we didn't have an owner that will most likely die or be totally incapable of running/owning this team in about 3-5 years."

He also missed the point it could be in 4 years or 5 years.

Anyone that is not the most absolute homeristic Ralph suckup was VERY concerned about his abilities to still own this team listening to his press confrences this last offseason.

'But ICE, He is much more alert than guys his age'. Yeah? Well that is saying Forest gump is smarter than most other ******s.

Again, I'll ask you, how the hell do you know? Is is possible? Yes, but it's also possible that Ralph will be find in 5 years. Your posts are pure idiocy, and you do nothing for this site, except spew out insane garbage, and ******ed posts. You should do everyone a favour and quit posting. Maybe you should get a job as a pshycic, seeing as you can predict the future and all.

THATHURMANATOR
01-29-2007, 10:07 AM
Ice FL is right here.. Please apologize.

ICE74129
01-29-2007, 10:42 AM
Again, you prove your lack of intelligence. The father of that kid should've pounded the crap out of you when he had the chance.

had he been stupid enough, he would have died on the spot, I assure that. Which is why its good he didn't. Also I don't expect you to have the ability to comprehend what 'being a bigger man' is about.

ICE74129
01-29-2007, 10:43 AM
Again, I'll ask you, how the hell do you know? Is is possible? Yes, but it's also possible that Ralph will be find in 5 years. Your posts are pure idiocy, and you do nothing for this site, except spew out insane garbage, and ******ed posts. You should do everyone a favour and quit posting. Maybe you should get a job as a pshycic, seeing as you can predict the future and all.

he will be 'find'? Find what? Favour? Is that like flavor? See the deal is I put extremely Intelligent posts most of the time, I again can't help it if you lack the comprehension to understand them.

ICE74129
01-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Ice FL is right here.. Please apologize. No.

ICE74129
01-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Looks like Ice didn't learn to play nice during his little vacation.

Lets see I posted an opinion, FL decided to attack the poster which is a clear cut violation of the TOS. If you fire off at me I will fire back. That will never change. Since my return find where I intentionally went after a poster like FL did with me.

If you want to fire off **** at me, dont whine when I fire back.

alohabillsfan
01-29-2007, 10:50 AM
Nuff of the child-like banter girls! With that said This years FA class is going to be dissapointing to most as theonly FA leaving their teams are the ones that think they need to be paid above what they are worth (read Clements) so everyone clammering for Briggs, Stienbach etc... Feel free to get a prescription of Prozac cuz it ain't happening! Everyone (95% anyways) has plenty of cap room! @007 will be built on the draft! Marv feel free to trade down and garner more picks!

ICE74129
01-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Nuff of the child-like banter girls! With that said This years FA class is going to be dissapointing to most as theonly FA leaving their teams are the ones that think they need to be paid above what they are worth (read Clements) so everyone clammering for Briggs, Stienbach etc... Feel free to get a prescription of Prozac cuz it ain't happening! Everyone (95% anyways) has plenty of cap room! @007 will be built on the draft! Marv feel free to trade down and garner more picks!

And if you are right, we will continue to not make the playoffs. Thanks for posting mr Littman errr Ralph errr....

its past time to overpay for a couple guys to get this thing turned around. Besides ralph must spend at least 85% of the cap amount (which is 22-23 mill of our available room) PERIOD or he doesn't get ANY revenue sharing.

so lets cut the being cheap BS and sign a few guys and make the playoffs next year.

Forward_Lateral
01-29-2007, 11:15 AM
he will be 'find'? Find what? Favour? Is that like flavor? See the deal is I put extremely Intelligent posts most of the time, I again can't help it if you lack the comprehension to understand them.

Had to put Intelligent and comprehension into your MS Word spell check, eh? Wouldn't want to make yourself look stupid, now would you?

Forward_Lateral
01-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Lets see I posted an opinion, FL decided to attack the poster which is a clear cut violation of the TOS. If you fire off at me I will fire back. That will never change. Since my return find where I intentionally went after a poster like FL did with me.

If you want to fire off **** at me, dont whine when I fire back.

I never attacked you personally, your the one who resorts to name-calling and insults the moment someone questions, or calls your ******ed posts out.

Forward_Lateral
01-29-2007, 11:17 AM
had he been stupid enough, he would have died on the spot, I assure that. Which is why its good he didn't. Also I don't expect you to have the ability to comprehend what 'being a bigger man' is about.

:rofl:

Gunzlingr
01-29-2007, 02:10 PM
:rofl:

I am totally picturing this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTqbKFyvxeI