LB
    $7.2M
    CB
    $7.7M
    S
    $4.4M
    K/P
    $2M

I looked at the FA market come March and didn't see too much quality. My assumption was that many teams would simply exercise the Franchise tag, rather than scramble to find a replacement for a quality FA to be. Seemed most teams had plenty of cap room. So use it to keep your own FA's.

Now that I look at the above figures, I'm not so sure that will happen. Those numbers are beyond absured.

I still don't view that as good news for FA. The large market teams will simply overpay for average to above average talent, leaving table scraps and bargain shopping for the rest.

I'll let FA play out but it shows you have to make your draft picks count more than ever. That's the last even playing field left.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

Re: Franchise Tag - Looks Expensive At All Positions

true dat NT, True dat.

Comment

• feelthepain
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Mar 2005

That's why you need an owner who'll step up and offer a big signing bonus, so the Bills can compete with the bigger markets. By not doing that, which is RW's history, it tells players the Bills aren't serious about building a winner and it makes it tough to get big name FA's.

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by feelthepain
        That's why you need an owner who'll step up and offer a big signing bonus, so the Bills can compete with the bigger markets. By not doing that, which is RW's history, it tells players the Bills aren't serious about building a winner and it makes it tough to get big name FA's.
        I don't see the Pats or Steelers doing it either. Remind me how they've done over the last several years.

Snyder has thrown $$ at everything that moves in FA. Where has it gotten him ? The same with Jerry Jones the last several years.

There is a difference between paying and overpaying.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Night Train
          I don't see the Pats or Steelers doing it either. Remind me how they've done over the last several years.

Snyder has thrown $$ at everything that moves in FA. Where has it gotten him ? The same with Jerry Jones the last several years.

So true.
          Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• feelthepain
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Mar 2005

There is also a difference in talent and no talent.

Comment

• Night Train
              • Jul 2005

Teams that draft wisely and have a sharp/stable front office,win. Lately, the Bills have drafted some good players but have suffered too many misses on draft day. Plus the Bills old GM hired weak coaches.

Free Agency has been a big failure with the higher priced players. Rarely are they worth it. They may sell tickets initially but can't produce as expected on the field.

Comment

• ICE74129
                Legendary Zoner
                • Feb 2005

I will say this, If chicago taggs briggs I would pay the 7.2 mill in this years cap to get him easy, BUT not the two first rounders chicago will demand

Comment

• Jeff1220
                  H to the 12:20
                  • Jul 2002

Being a Fin fan, you should have no problem identifying the latter.

Comment

• feelthepain
                    All-Pro Zoner
                    • Mar 2005

Teams that draft wisely and have a sharp/stable front office,win. Lately, the Bills have drafted some good players but have suffered too many misses on draft day. Plus the Bills old GM hired weak coaches.

Free Agency has been a big failure with the higher priced players. Rarely are they worth it. They may sell tickets initially but can't produce as expected on the field.

I disagree, the only time big name FA miss, is if you go after someone that's not suited for your system or by adding a big time FA to a team that needs a lot more help then one or two FA's. Look at what Drew Brees did for the Saints or TO for the Cowboys, TO was a big time upgrade over K.Johnson.

Comment

• Night Train
                      • Jul 2005

I disagree, the only time big name FA miss, is if you go after someone that's not suited for your system or by adding a big time FA to a team that needs a lot more help then one or two FA's. Look at what Drew Brees did for the Saints or TO for the Cowboys, TO was a big time upgrade over K.Johnson.
                      Brees was a fantastic aquisition but a huge gamble at the time, due to his shoulder injury.

It's debatable whether T.O. was a good aquisition. The Cowboys were in the drivers seat for a playoff spot and blew it. Owens dropped a lot of balls and started his crap all over again.

Comment

• feelthepain
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Mar 2005

Brees was a fantastic aquisition but a huge gamble at the time, due to his shoulder injury.

It's debatable whether T.O. was a good aquisition. The Cowboys were in the drivers seat for a playoff spot and blew it. Owens dropped a lot of balls and started his crap all over again.
                        But TO also had the most TD's in the league among WR's, he had a lot of drops because of a broken finger he broke 1/3 of the way through the season that didn't fully heal. Dallas fell apart because of their D and a young inexperienced QB, but still made the playoffs and were a Tony Romo mistake away from the divisional round of the playoffs. Like I said TO was a huge upgrade over K.Johnson.

Comment

• Stewie
                          Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                          • Aug 2002

2007 Franchise tags by position
                          Position
                          2007 Franchise tender
                          QB
                          $12.6M
                          RB
                          $6.9M
                          WR
                          $7.6M
                          TE
                          $4.3M
                          OL
                          $9.5M
                          DE
                          $8.3M
                          DT
                          $6.7M
                          LB
                          $7.2M
                          CB
                          $7.7M
                          S
                          $4.4M
                          K/P
                          $2M

I looked at the FA market come March and didn't see too much quality. My assumption was that many teams would simply exercise the Franchise tag, rather than scramble to find a replacement for a quality FA to be. Seemed most teams had plenty of cap room. So use it to keep your own FA's.

Now that I look at the above figures, I'm not so sure that will happen. Those numbers are beyond absured.

I still don't view that as good news for FA. The large market teams will simply overpay for average to above average talent, leaving table scraps and bargain shopping for the rest.

I'll let FA play out but it shows you have to make your draft picks count more than ever. That's the last even playing field left.
                          On a percentage basis, I don't think those numbers are too far off.

We're in the middle of a big cap explosion. Salaries that once seemed absurd will quickly become standard.
                          Originally posted by Topdog
                          Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                          Originally posted by mercyrule
                          I love Weiner.
                          Originally posted by mercyrule
                          also cheese

Comment

• mikemac2001
                            is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
                            • Mar 2003

But TO also had the most TD's in the league among WR's, he had a lot of drops because of a broken finger he broke 1/3 of the way through the season that didn't fully heal. Dallas fell apart because of their D and a young inexperienced QB, but still made the playoffs and were a Tony Romo mistake away from the divisional round of the playoffs. Like I said TO was a huge upgrade over K.Johnson.
                            i saw alot of late Td's that didnt matter from TO so idk about the most TD statements. but the finger healing good point to drops but damn he had alot and it looked more like him looking to run upfield instead of catching it

MUCK
                            FIAMI

Comment

• feelthepain
                              All-Pro Zoner
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by mikemac2001
                              i saw alot of late Td's that didnt matter from TO so idk about the most TD statements. but the finger healing good point to drops but damn he had alot and it looked more like him looking to run upfield instead of catching it
                              I'm sure he heard footsteps from time to time.

Comment

Working...
                              X