X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpdex12
    • Jan 2005

The perfect pick at #12 is LB...Willis

I have to lay this out there for those Zoners that feel we are set at LB in 2007 without any additions. I have seen quite a few posts stating that we are set in 2007 with Crowell, Spikes and Ellison starting. Crowell has never played a full year at ILB, Spikes is not yet 100% and may never be, and Ellison was a rookie last year and is still learning. Grant it Spikes is Spikes, Crowell played like a beast in 2006 and Ellison had one hell of a rookie year, but we are by no means solid at the LB position with this line up. Just because Crowell played well at OLB doesn't necessarily mean he will be a stud ILB. Spikes is at best IMO a decent OLB at this point and Ellison is too light to play the ILB position.
    The #12 draft spot will be a perfect pick for us to take Willis. He will be sought after by many teams in the first round. It wouldn't suprise me to see him go before us. This kid is a monster! He didn't play the entire game in the Senior Bowl and had 11 tackles. He is a physical specimen, has great technique and has the same mentality and live and die football attitude as Fletcher, Urlacher, Lewis, any great ILB's. You can see it in him.

I will be shocked if we don't take him at #12 and he is there. We need a ILB as we have no depth and this guy will dominate for a long time coming. If we take him at #12 and another DT before round three we will have a great roation of guys on defense and that is what makes that style of defense thrive. Not to mention the injury bug that always bites during the season...SOLID DEPTH!
    Where else would you rather be than right here right now?
  • ublinkwescore
    Sab and TD are insignificant
    • Sep 2002

Re: The perfect pick at #12 is LB...Willis

If we bring in Lance Briggs, I'd definitely go after Hall.
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
      Defies all logic
      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by jpdex12
      I have to lay this out there for those Zoners that feel we are set at LB in 2007 without any additions. I have seen quite a few posts stating that we are set in 2007 with Crowell, Spikes and Ellison starting. Crowell has never played a full year at ILB, Spikes is not yet 100% and may never be, and Ellison was a rookie last year and is still learning. Grant it Spikes is Spikes, Crowell played like a beast in 2006 and Ellison had one hell of a rookie year, but we are by no means solid at the LB position with this line up. Just because Crowell played well at OLB doesn't necessarily mean he will be a stud ILB. Spikes is at best IMO a decent OLB at this point and Ellison is too light to play the ILB position.
      The #12 draft spot will be a perfect pick for us to take Willis. He will be sought after by many teams in the first round. It wouldn't suprise me to see him go before us. This kid is a monster! He didn't play the entire game in the Senior Bowl and had 11 tackles. He is a physical specimen, has great technique and has the same mentality and live and die football attitude as Fletcher, Urlacher, Lewis, any great ILB's. You can see it in him.

I will be shocked if we don't take him at #12 and he is there. We need a ILB as we have no depth and this guy will dominate for a long time coming. If we take him at #12 and another DT before round three we will have a great roation of guys on defense and that is what makes that style of defense thrive. Not to mention the injury bug that always bites during the season...SOLID DEPTH!
      This post reaks of wisdom, I can't say I disagree. However, if Anderson or Branch is there, don't be surprised to see the Bills take a player who is not a LB. Things can change drastically between now and daft time.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
        All-Pro Zoner
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by jpdex12

This is why I am beginning to believe that Willis just might be the pick. (And, no, I don't think that the Bills will trade down to get him because, if they were to do so, there's a very good chance that St. Louis at # 13 or Carolina at # 14, with Dan Morgan very "iffy" due to injuries, would jump at the chance to take him.)

Even if Coy Wire makes a successful transistion to OLB, he is, at best, a back-up. With the injury history of Crowell, Spikes and Stamer, the Bills have little depth at a position where their defense demands play-makers. Even if Takeo Spikes comes back to Pro Bowl form, he is entering the second last year of his contract and is going to be very expensive to keep. And, stud MLBs aren't always that easy to find.

While there's still a long way to go and things could very easily change in free agency, the only way that I don't see the Bills taking Patrick Willis right now is if they move McCargo to the 1-gap DT and draft Okoye, knowing that, with Tripplett, they can give Okoye a year to reach his full potential (in which case, they could draft Siler or Harris in the 2nd Round or move Crowell to MLB and take an OLB, like Alexander or Everrett in Round 2). But right now, Willis is looking more and more like he could be the guy.
        Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

I agree, and am becoming more and more convinced that a big, playmaking MLB is our number 1 priority.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Kerr
            Hall of Fame Zoner
            • Feb 2005

Considering one of the big flaws on the defense was the mlb position last season, Willis would be a good pick seeing as how he has the potential to make an impact his rookie season. Fletcher played well up to what he was able to do, but his limitatons prevent him front being the right mlb for this system.

Comment

• Sportsuser101
              • Feb 2005

IMO LBer is not a huge need. At least not a starting LBer.

Takeo Spikes - Has been hurt but if he stays healthy he's still an elite linebacker.

Angelo Crowell - Had 1 of the best years out of any linebacker in the league last year until he got hurt.

Keith Ellison - Rookie year last year and is a perfect fit for the cover 2.

I think all 3 of those guys are more then capable of starting and that core is easily in the upper half of the league of starting linebackers. Yes we need depth at linebacker but we certainly don't need to pay Briggs franchise type money or WASTE our 1st round pick on guys like Willis or Posluszny.
              Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• Sportsuser101
                • Feb 2005

2 of our biggest moves last offseason was signing a top FA DT and moving up to grab a DT in the 1st round. I find it hard to believe that after 1 year Levy and company is going to give up McCargo, Triplett and Williams and draft another DT at #12.

I think cornerback is without a doubt the position we need to grab not just because of need but because of the amount of talent in this draft. There are 3 top cornerbacks in my opinion all worthy of top 10 picks in most drafts. Hall, McCauley and Pevis would be great additions in my opinion. 1 of those guys, McGee and Youboty should make a strong trio.
                Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• JPFBillsFan
                  • Jan 2006

Heck no to the CB idea...agree with the DT theory....we have 3 new DTs from last year I dont see Levy taking one unless its Branch or Okoye......

We're going to take Willis even if we sign Briggs...Imagine Briggs/Willis/Crowell
                  for the next 3-5 yrss.....that would be AWESOME
                  with Ellison & Spikes backups ...only problem that's a lot of cash for a backup LB.....We'll sign a Vet DT to play the 1-Gap

Comment

• raphael120
                    Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                    • Oct 2005

rememeber why the cover 2 works?

remember why our run D sucked?

It's good to have undersized, fast guys, on D in a cover 2. but when your WHOLE D is undersized, it's going to be pushed around, just like it did last season. we need a big boy like Urlacher in there. just because youre cover 2 doesnt mean you need EVERYONE to be the Flash. ellison is small as hell, and crowell is just as big as fletcher, pretty much. he doesnt have the meat on him to take what our currently undersized DT position will let fly past. get the big boy MLB, keep the others on the outside, Ellison is good, but if anything, he can play OLB...no way he plays MLB. And dont make me laugh about Coy Wire...we're building a playoff team right? then lets not make our ST guys try to be huge impact players on D. we got enough role players, we need they playmakers.

Comment

• bigbub2352
                      • Feb 2005

I am not oppossed to the Bills taken a LB, or a WR, or a DT, or a TE, or a CB, anyway shape or form the way u look at it these are the biggest needs on the team, it will all depend on FA, it dicates exactly our need positons that are left that we could not fill, we also gotta see u falls to 12, cause u might not even see Willis, Jarrett or any of the guys being mentioned lately
                      XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• patmoran2006
                        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                        • Dec 2005

If we go LB I'd love to have him.

but we gotta see what happens with FA first, I really think LB could be a spot we fill with FA.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                          My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                          • Apr 2004

I'm thinking we will go after a CB in FA and draft our linebackers of the future. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we took 2 just like we took 2 safeties last year.
                          RD1: LB Patrick Willis
                          RD4: OLB Stephen Nicholas

Comment

• jpdex12
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by LifetimeBillsFan
                            This is why I am beginning to believe that Willis just might be the pick. (And, no, I don't think that the Bills will trade down to get him because, if they were to do so, there's a very good chance that St. Louis at # 13 or Carolina at # 14, with Dan Morgan very "iffy" due to injuries, would jump at the chance to take him.)

Even if Coy Wire makes a successful transistion to OLB, he is, at best, a back-up. With the injury history of Crowell, Spikes and Stamer, the Bills have little depth at a position where their defense demands play-makers. Even if Takeo Spikes comes back to Pro Bowl form, he is entering the second last year of his contract and is going to be very expensive to keep. And, stud MLBs aren't always that easy to find.

While there's still a long way to go and things could very easily change in free agency, the only way that I don't see the Bills taking Patrick Willis right now is if they move McCargo to the 1-gap DT and draft Okoye, knowing that, with Tripplett, they can give Okoye a year to reach his full potential (in which case, they could draft Siler or Harris in the 2nd Round or move Crowell to MLB and take an OLB, like Alexander or Everrett in Round 2). But right now, Willis is looking more and more like he could be the guy.
                            Absolutely right on! Yes we have to see what happens in FA but you know how FA is at OBD. You may see one big FA name signed and that's it. Just like in Levy's past...not usually more than one big name from FA.
                            That is why we will see either P. Willis in the first and a DT before the 3rd round, maybe someone like Mebane if he's still there or Branch or Okoye in round one and a MLB like Siler or Harris before round three. Just as another post stated. Our offense is young, s few defensive players will be replaced by younger ones. We need excellent players to rotate on defense and we will have them.

Comment

• jpdex12
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
                              This post reaks of wisdom, I can't say I disagree. However, if Anderson or Branch is there, don't be surprised to see the Bills take a player who is not a LB. Things can change drastically between now and daft time.
                              The #12 pick is a good spot to be in.

Comment

Working...
                              X