PDA

View Full Version : The perfect pick at #12 is LB...Willis

jpdex12
01-29-2007, 08:18 PM
I have to lay this out there for those Zoners that feel we are set at LB in 2007 without any additions. I have seen quite a few posts stating that we are set in 2007 with Crowell, Spikes and Ellison starting. Crowell has never played a full year at ILB, Spikes is not yet 100% and may never be, and Ellison was a rookie last year and is still learning. Grant it Spikes is Spikes, Crowell played like a beast in 2006 and Ellison had one hell of a rookie year, but we are by no means solid at the LB position with this line up. Just because Crowell played well at OLB doesn't necessarily mean he will be a stud ILB. Spikes is at best IMO a decent OLB at this point and Ellison is too light to play the ILB position.
The #12 draft spot will be a perfect pick for us to take Willis. He will be sought after by many teams in the first round. It wouldn't suprise me to see him go before us. This kid is a monster! He didn't play the entire game in the Senior Bowl and had 11 tackles. He is a physical specimen, has great technique and has the same mentality and live and die football attitude as Fletcher, Urlacher, Lewis, any great ILB's. You can see it in him.

I will be shocked if we don't take him at #12 and he is there. We need a ILB as we have no depth and this guy will dominate for a long time coming. If we take him at #12 and another DT before round three we will have a great roation of guys on defense and that is what makes that style of defense thrive. Not to mention the injury bug that always bites during the season...SOLID DEPTH!

ublinkwescore
01-30-2007, 10:12 PM
If we bring in Lance Briggs, I'd definitely go after Hall.

PECKERWOOD
01-30-2007, 10:40 PM
I have to lay this out there for those Zoners that feel we are set at LB in 2007 without any additions. I have seen quite a few posts stating that we are set in 2007 with Crowell, Spikes and Ellison starting. Crowell has never played a full year at ILB, Spikes is not yet 100% and may never be, and Ellison was a rookie last year and is still learning. Grant it Spikes is Spikes, Crowell played like a beast in 2006 and Ellison had one hell of a rookie year, but we are by no means solid at the LB position with this line up. Just because Crowell played well at OLB doesn't necessarily mean he will be a stud ILB. Spikes is at best IMO a decent OLB at this point and Ellison is too light to play the ILB position.
The #12 draft spot will be a perfect pick for us to take Willis. He will be sought after by many teams in the first round. It wouldn't suprise me to see him go before us. This kid is a monster! He didn't play the entire game in the Senior Bowl and had 11 tackles. He is a physical specimen, has great technique and has the same mentality and live and die football attitude as Fletcher, Urlacher, Lewis, any great ILB's. You can see it in him.

I will be shocked if we don't take him at #12 and he is there. We need a ILB as we have no depth and this guy will dominate for a long time coming. If we take him at #12 and another DT before round three we will have a great roation of guys on defense and that is what makes that style of defense thrive. Not to mention the injury bug that always bites during the season...SOLID DEPTH!

This post reaks of wisdom, I can't say I disagree. However, if Anderson or Branch is there, don't be surprised to see the Bills take a player who is not a LB. Things can change drastically between now and daft time.

LifetimeBillsFan
01-31-2007, 03:19 AM

This is why I am beginning to believe that Willis just might be the pick. (And, no, I don't think that the Bills will trade down to get him because, if they were to do so, there's a very good chance that St. Louis at # 13 or Carolina at # 14, with Dan Morgan very "iffy" due to injuries, would jump at the chance to take him.)

Even if Coy Wire makes a successful transistion to OLB, he is, at best, a back-up. With the injury history of Crowell, Spikes and Stamer, the Bills have little depth at a position where their defense demands play-makers. Even if Takeo Spikes comes back to Pro Bowl form, he is entering the second last year of his contract and is going to be very expensive to keep. And, stud MLBs aren't always that easy to find.

While there's still a long way to go and things could very easily change in free agency, the only way that I don't see the Bills taking Patrick Willis right now is if they move McCargo to the 1-gap DT and draft Okoye, knowing that, with Tripplett, they can give Okoye a year to reach his full potential (in which case, they could draft Siler or Harris in the 2nd Round or move Crowell to MLB and take an OLB, like Alexander or Everrett in Round 2). But right now, Willis is looking more and more like he could be the guy.

Jan Reimers
01-31-2007, 06:45 AM
I agree, and am becoming more and more convinced that a big, playmaking MLB is our number 1 priority.

Kerr
01-31-2007, 09:18 AM
Considering one of the big flaws on the defense was the mlb position last season, Willis would be a good pick seeing as how he has the potential to make an impact his rookie season. Fletcher played well up to what he was able to do, but his limitatons prevent him front being the right mlb for this system.

Sportsuser101
01-31-2007, 09:38 AM
IMO LBer is not a huge need. At least not a starting LBer.

Takeo Spikes - Has been hurt but if he stays healthy he's still an elite linebacker.

Angelo Crowell - Had 1 of the best years out of any linebacker in the league last year until he got hurt.

Keith Ellison - Rookie year last year and is a perfect fit for the cover 2.

I think all 3 of those guys are more then capable of starting and that core is easily in the upper half of the league of starting linebackers. Yes we need depth at linebacker but we certainly don't need to pay Briggs franchise type money or WASTE our 1st round pick on guys like Willis or Posluszny.

Sportsuser101
01-31-2007, 09:43 AM
2 of our biggest moves last offseason was signing a top FA DT and moving up to grab a DT in the 1st round. I find it hard to believe that after 1 year Levy and company is going to give up McCargo, Triplett and Williams and draft another DT at #12.

I think cornerback is without a doubt the position we need to grab not just because of need but because of the amount of talent in this draft. There are 3 top cornerbacks in my opinion all worthy of top 10 picks in most drafts. Hall, McCauley and Pevis would be great additions in my opinion. 1 of those guys, McGee and Youboty should make a strong trio.

JPFBillsFan
01-31-2007, 10:41 AM
Heck no to the CB idea...agree with the DT theory....we have 3 new DTs from last year I dont see Levy taking one unless its Branch or Okoye......

We're going to take Willis even if we sign Briggs...Imagine Briggs/Willis/Crowell
for the next 3-5 yrss.....that would be AWESOME
with Ellison & Spikes backups ...only problem that's a lot of cash for a backup LB.....We'll sign a Vet DT to play the 1-Gap

raphael120
01-31-2007, 11:24 AM
rememeber why the cover 2 works?

remember why our run D sucked?

It's good to have undersized, fast guys, on D in a cover 2. but when your WHOLE D is undersized, it's going to be pushed around, just like it did last season. we need a big boy like Urlacher in there. just because youre cover 2 doesnt mean you need EVERYONE to be the Flash. ellison is small as hell, and crowell is just as big as fletcher, pretty much. he doesnt have the meat on him to take what our currently undersized DT position will let fly past. get the big boy MLB, keep the others on the outside, Ellison is good, but if anything, he can play OLB...no way he plays MLB. And dont make me laugh about Coy Wire...we're building a playoff team right? then lets not make our ST guys try to be huge impact players on D. we got enough role players, we need they playmakers.

bigbub2352
01-31-2007, 12:19 PM
I am not oppossed to the Bills taken a LB, or a WR, or a DT, or a TE, or a CB, anyway shape or form the way u look at it these are the biggest needs on the team, it will all depend on FA, it dicates exactly our need positons that are left that we could not fill, we also gotta see u falls to 12, cause u might not even see Willis, Jarrett or any of the guys being mentioned lately

patmoran2006
01-31-2007, 03:51 PM
If we go LB I'd love to have him.

but we gotta see what happens with FA first, I really think LB could be a spot we fill with FA.

ParanoidAndroid
01-31-2007, 04:55 PM
I'm thinking we will go after a CB in FA and draft our linebackers of the future. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we took 2 just like we took 2 safeties last year.
RD1: LB Patrick Willis
RD4: OLB Stephen Nicholas

jpdex12
01-31-2007, 10:22 PM
This is why I am beginning to believe that Willis just might be the pick. (And, no, I don't think that the Bills will trade down to get him because, if they were to do so, there's a very good chance that St. Louis at # 13 or Carolina at # 14, with Dan Morgan very "iffy" due to injuries, would jump at the chance to take him.)

Even if Coy Wire makes a successful transistion to OLB, he is, at best, a back-up. With the injury history of Crowell, Spikes and Stamer, the Bills have little depth at a position where their defense demands play-makers. Even if Takeo Spikes comes back to Pro Bowl form, he is entering the second last year of his contract and is going to be very expensive to keep. And, stud MLBs aren't always that easy to find.

While there's still a long way to go and things could very easily change in free agency, the only way that I don't see the Bills taking Patrick Willis right now is if they move McCargo to the 1-gap DT and draft Okoye, knowing that, with Tripplett, they can give Okoye a year to reach his full potential (in which case, they could draft Siler or Harris in the 2nd Round or move Crowell to MLB and take an OLB, like Alexander or Everrett in Round 2). But right now, Willis is looking more and more like he could be the guy.

Absolutely right on! Yes we have to see what happens in FA but you know how FA is at OBD. You may see one big FA name signed and that's it. Just like in Levy's past...not usually more than one big name from FA.
That is why we will see either P. Willis in the first and a DT before the 3rd round, maybe someone like Mebane if he's still there or Branch or Okoye in round one and a MLB like Siler or Harris before round three. Just as another post stated. Our offense is young, s few defensive players will be replaced by younger ones. We need excellent players to rotate on defense and we will have them.

jpdex12
01-31-2007, 10:23 PM
This post reaks of wisdom, I can't say I disagree. However, if Anderson or Branch is there, don't be surprised to see the Bills take a player who is not a LB. Things can change drastically between now and daft time.

The #12 pick is a good spot to be in.

jpdex12
01-31-2007, 10:26 PM
2 of our biggest moves last offseason was signing a top FA DT and moving up to grab a DT in the 1st round. I find it hard to believe that after 1 year Levy and company is going to give up McCargo, Triplett and Williams and draft another DT at #12.

I think cornerback is without a doubt the position we need to grab not just because of need but because of the amount of talent in this draft. There are 3 top cornerbacks in my opinion all worthy of top 10 picks in most drafts. Hall, McCauley and Pevis would be great additions in my opinion. 1 of those guys, McGee and Youboty should make a strong trio.

That's crazy to think that OBD would give up on any of those DT's now. I think you're way off if you are implying that. There are no CB's good enuogh in this draft to take at #12. They all have noticable flaws and are 2-3 year projects. CB, not a good move in the first round this year.

jpdex12
01-31-2007, 10:27 PM
If we go LB I'd love to have him.

but we gotta see what happens with FA first, I really think LB could be a spot we fill with FA.

Likely to be too expensive for OBD. Come on you know how tight OBD can be.

Tatonka
01-31-2007, 11:35 PM
Willis per sporting news..

War Room analysis
Strengths: Is tough and competitive. Can be an intimidating presence. Consistently makes unexpected plays with effort and hustle. Shows great instincts, and moves quickly at the snap. Has the speed to chase down plays from the backside. Is naturally strong, and when aggressive can stack the point of attack and make hard, violent tackles. Fills inside holes quickly and blows up plays in the backfield. Is smooth in zone coverage, and closes quickly on passes in front of him to make hard hits. Shows instincts to pick up tight end across the middle on misdirection plays.

Weaknesses: Lacks elite speed. Does not consistently take on blockers aggressively, and thus will get jolted backwards and driven out of the play. Does not use hands well to shed blocks. Shows inconsistent tackling technique; tends to stop moving his feet and lunge at ballcarriers. Does not use hands well to protect legs from cut blocks. Struggles to move through traffic. Has just adequate size.

Bottom line: Willis is the type of linebacker every NFL team covets because of his toughness, instincts and competitiveness. He is not an elite athlete, but his instincts allow him to get a jump on the ball and play faster than his 40-yard time would suggest. Willis will be drafted higher than he grades out because NFL coaches go crazy for players with great intangibles. In time, he will become a good NFL starter but his lack of elite athletic ability always will hinder his ability to make plays outside the hash marks.

jamze132
02-01-2007, 06:45 AM
I would love to draft Willis at #12. But beware of the trade down for more picks. At #12, we are in a good position to do what the **** we want.

Night Train
02-01-2007, 07:54 AM
Does not consistently take on blockers aggressively, and thus will get jolted backwards and driven out of the play. Does not use hands well to shed blocks. Shows inconsistent tackling technique; tends to stop moving his feet and lunge at ballcarriers. Does not use hands well to protect legs from cut blocks. Struggles to move through traffic. Has just adequate size.

Isn't this why we're letting London walk ? Getting driven out of the play and making tackles 10-12 yards downfield ?

Willis only weighed 230 at the Senior Bowl. That's 10 lbs. lighter than London.

Don't Panic
02-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Heck no to the CB idea...agree with the DT theory....we have 3 new DTs from last year I dont see Levy taking one unless its Branch or Okoye......

We're going to take Willis even if we sign Briggs...Imagine Briggs/Willis/Crowell
for the next 3-5 yrss.....that would be AWESOME
with Ellison & Spikes backups ...only problem that's a lot of cash for a backup LB.....We'll sign a Vet DT to play the 1-Gap

I LOVE that LB crop, but if we do get Briggs and Willis, Spikes is definietly getting cut loose. Ellison would be a great 4th backer, especially in this system.

Tatonka
02-01-2007, 11:37 AM
spikes is definately staying.. no doubt.. it is clear that jauron loves him.

if we get another LB, it will either be briggs (or another FA) or a draft pick, but not both.

Bert102176
02-01-2007, 04:05 PM
I would love for them to Get Willis at the 12th pick I've said for awhile now I think were drafting him in fact believe I was the first on the site to mention us drafting him the guy is a tackling machine