PDA

View Full Version : I'll be very surprised if we don't trade Willis.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
01-30-2007, 09:00 AM
When it gets close to draft day, talks will likely get serious.....
and rightly so. Willis has more value as trade bait than he does as a long term asset to this team. While I don't think the Bills will give him away, I do think that he is on their list of players that might bring more benefit by leaving.

Here are six candidates to take Willis off our hands.....

1) Jacksonville--Fred Taylor old and decrepit.

2)Washington---rumor has it they are looking to unload Portis

3)Oakland---Al Davis might like Willis as a toy.

4)NY Giants---Tiki gone, Jacobs more of a bruiser.

5)Atlanta---Dunn is wearing down

6)Dallas---they need a franchise type back (Barber and Jones not that)

ICE74129
01-30-2007, 09:05 AM
I see us trading him easy.

RockStar36
01-30-2007, 09:12 AM
and rightly so. Willis has more value as trade bait than he does as a long term asset to this team. While I don't think the Bills will give him away, I do think that he is on their list of players that might bring more benefit by leaving.

The Giants and maybe Atlanta are the only realistic choices unless something major happens.

Romes
01-30-2007, 09:12 AM
We won't shop him but if someone offers a first we do it in a second.

Thats my bet.

RockStar36
01-30-2007, 09:15 AM
I doubt anyone will offer a first for him. I don't think his trade value is that high.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
01-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Yeah he's just plain not worth a first rounder....but maybe a second rounder.

He's worth nothing at to us after this season....and I don't think the current regime believes he is the future...so why not get somthing for him now and move on?

RedEyE
01-30-2007, 09:22 AM
That's fine and dandy, but replace him with who?

gr8slayer
01-30-2007, 09:25 AM

Dallas has no interest in any other RBs right now. They are happy with the two RB set.

Jacksonville just drafted the rookie of the year.

Washington just re-signed Betts.

Oakland maybe.

NYJ, No

ATL, No.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
01-30-2007, 09:27 AM
Am I the only one who thinks he is not as special as we thought he would be? I know we might be downgrading a bit, but I think there are plenty of serviceable backs available....someone like William Green from Cleveland would come cheap and might benefit from a fresh start....

RockStar36
01-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Am I the only one who thinks he is not as special as we thought he would be? I know we might be downgrading a bit, but I think there are plenty of serviceable backs available....someone like William Green from Cleveland would come cheap and might benefit from a fresh start....

To replace Willis w/ William Green would be completely pointless, IMO.

Unless they draft someone like Lynch I'd be fine w/ Willis playing out the last year of his contract here.

Not to go off topic, but does anyone familiar w/ Lynch know if he is an every down back?

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
01-30-2007, 09:29 AM
[QUOTE=gr8slayer]Dallas has no interest in any other RBs right now. They are happy with the two RB set.
--There's going to be a new Sheriff in town in Dallas....

Jacksonville just drafted the rookie of the year.

You're right....my bad ....can't believe I forgot about Jones-Drew
QUOTE]

jamze132
01-30-2007, 09:38 AM
I don't think we trade Willis unless we sure up our defense through free agency before the draft in which case we can possibly draft Marshawn Lynch. Even if we decide to go that route, the best we can expect for Willis is a 3rd rounder.

Mitchy moo
01-30-2007, 09:47 AM
How would we ever get anyone to replace these numbers?:

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#e9e9e9 colSpan=3 height=18>http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/images/square_sports.gif Career stats </TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#e9e9e9 colSpan=6>Rushing</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#e9e9e9 colSpan=6>Receiving</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#e9e9e9>Fumb.</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#e9e9e9 colSpan=2>KO Ret</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#e9e9e9 colSpan=2>Punt Ret</TD></TR><TR align=right><TD class=vaLabel align=left width="11%" height=18>Year</TD><TD class=vaLabel align=left width="6%">Team</TD><TD class=vaLabel>G</TD><TD class=vaLabel>Rush</TD><TD class=vaLabel>Yds</TD><TD class=vaLabel>Y/G</TD><TD class=vaLabel>Avg</TD><TD class=vaLabel>100 Yd</TD><TD class=vaLabel>TD</TD><TD class=vaLabel>Rec</TD><TD class=vaLabel>Yds</TD><TD class=vaLabel>Y/G</TD><TD class=vaLabel>Avg</TD><TD class=vaLabel>100 Yd</TD><TD class=vaLabel>TD</TD><TD class=vaLabel>Lost</TD><TD class=vaLabel>Yds</TD><TD class=vaLabel>TD</TD><TD class=vaLabel>Yds</TD><TD class=vaLabel>TD</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=22>http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/images/grey.gif</TD></TR><TR align=right><TD class=vaLink align=left width="18%" height=18>2004</TD><TD class=vaLink align=left width="6%">BUF</TD><TD class=vaChart>16</TD><TD class=vaChart>284</TD><TD class=vaChart>1128</TD><TD class=vaChart>70.5</TD><TD class=vaChart>4.0</TD><TD class=vaChart>7</TD><TD class=vaChart>13</TD><TD class=vaChart>22</TD><TD class=vaChart>169</TD><TD class=vaChart>10.6</TD><TD class=vaChart>7.7</TD><TD class=vaChart>0</TD><TD class=vaChart>0</TD><TD class=vaChart>2</TD><TD class=vaChart>0</TD><TD class=vaChart>0</TD><TD class=vaChart>0</TD><TD class=vaChart>0</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=22>http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/images/grey.gif</TD></TR><TR align=right><TD class=vaLink align=left width="18%" height=18>2005</TD><TD class=vaLink align=left width="6%">BUF</TD><TD class=vaChart>16</TD><TD class=vaChart>325</TD><TD class=vaChart>1247</TD><TD class=vaChart>77.9</TD><TD class=vaChart>3.8</TD><TD class=vaChart>5</TD><TD class=vaChart>5</TD><TD class=vaChart>28</TD><TD class=vaChart>178</TD><TD class=vaChart>11.1</TD><TD class=vaChart>6.4</TD><TD class=vaChart>0</TD><TD class=vaChart>0</TD><TD class=vaChart>1</TD><TD class=vaChart>0</TD><TD class=vaChart>0</TD><TD class=vaChart>0</TD><TD class=vaChart>0</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=22>http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/images/grey.gif</TD></TR><TR align=right><TD class=vaLink align=left width="18%" height=18>2006</TD><TD class=vaLink align=left width="6%">BUF</TD><TD class=vaChart>14</TD><TD class=vaChart>259</TD><TD class=vaChart>990</TD><TD class=vaChart>70.7</TD><TD class=vaChart>3.8</TD><TD class=vaChart>2</TD><TD class=vaChart>6</TD><TD class=vaChart>18</TD><TD class=vaChart>156</TD><TD class=vaChart>11.1</TD><TD class=vaChart>8.7</TD><TD class=vaChart>0</TD><TD class=vaChart>0</TD><TD class=vaChart>2</TD><TD class=vaChart>0</TD><TD class=vaChart>0</TD><TD class=vaChart>0</TD><TD class=vaChart>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

This guy is way better than he thinks and will make great trade bait. He was more productive coming off the injury than since, which basically means he has no heart. 2 - 100 yard games this season really sealed the deal for him getting moved.

Kenny
01-30-2007, 09:49 AM
The more and more I think of it... the more I like the idea of keeping Willis and NOT going after Lynch.

Willis will have a good and possibly great year in '07... I know we wont get anything for him after the season is over, but if we get rid of him, -who do we get? Lynch seems to be a product of a weak RB class. Other than Peterson, -I dont want us to go with running back in Round1 (and I especially dont want that soft Michael Bush being drafted... guys like that will do fine in college, but they'll suck in the pros... see Eric Shelton).

There will be a strong RB class in 2008 and I'd rather go with a rookie RB in 2008 when our team will be improved (and be able to compensate for the RB position).

And the only team I see that might trade a day1 pick (most likely R3) for Willis are the NYG. Oakland simply has too many holes/needs (QB, OL, DL, WR, etc...) to give that high of a draft pick for a runningback.

TacklingDummy
01-30-2007, 09:50 AM
Keep bashing Willis. You guys are not Bills fans. STFU haters.

Saratoga Slim
01-30-2007, 10:03 AM
The more and more I think of it... the more I like the idea of keeping Willis and NOT going after Lynch.

Willis will have a good and possibly great year in '07... I know we wont get anything for him after the season is over, but if we get rid of him, -who do we get? Lynch seems to be a product of a weak RB class. Other than Peterson, -I dont want us to go with running back in Round1 (and I especially dont want that soft Michael Bush being drafted... guys like that will do fine in college, but they'll suck in the pros... see Eric Shelton).

There will be a strong RB class in 2008 and I'd rather go with a rookie RB in 2008 when our team will be improved (and be able to compensate for the RB position).

I'm also concerned about how we replace Willis this year if we move him. I think Lynch looks like a pretty solid back, but I'm not sure he'd be an upgrade over Willis. And it looks like he may have some character baggage. Thus I fully agree that unless lightning strikes and Peterson falls, I don't want to go RB in the first round.

The more I think about it, the more I don't think Willis is going anywhere this offseason. And I think even Rosenhaus will realize he doesn't have a lot of leverage in holding out for a big contract extension.

kernowboy
01-30-2007, 10:06 AM
To who?

We'd get nothing for him. His value is so low we'd be lucky to get something at the bottom of day1

Best to have him run hard in the final year of his contract in the hope of getting a top free agent deal

Night Train
01-30-2007, 10:26 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing him go, since I think he's a monster underachiever at the position. But he'll probably be here in 2007.
RB's seems like slim pickings in this draft. Not so in 2008, when the RB class is very deep and talented.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bills bring in another RB in FA, like Buckhalter of Philly, Peterson of Chicago... Someone who has a little ability but is buried on the bench somewhere. Then if Willis holds out or gets hurt, you have someone that has played a bit in the NFL.
A.Thomas is way too slow.

Willis leaves after 2007 and we draft a RB on Day 1 in 2008. The probable plan but let's see if the Bills can do something about it now.

THATHURMANATOR
01-30-2007, 10:43 AM

None of these destinations make much sense aside from Oakland

1) Jacksonville - Still do have Taylor plus Maurice jones drew

2) Washington- They still do have Portis and Betts played well in his absense

3) Oakland - Possibly but they did just give Jordan a lot of money

4) Giants - Jacobs can carry the load IMO

5) Atlanta - Still have Dunn and are very high on Norwood

6) Dallas - Are completely set at RB Barber and Jones are both solid

HHURRICANE
01-30-2007, 10:44 AM
I've spent alot of time thinking about this and it is very unlikely that we trade him.

The teams that you mentioned don't need him other than the Jets. We are better off letting him run his ass off. We have him by the nuts and that's why Rosenhaus and Willis are trying to force a trade.

He can't afford to sit and he knows it. Even if we draft Lynch there is no doubt that Willis will remain on the roster through 2007. If you need proof just look at how we handled Clements. OBD would rather see what happens than sit on a pick.

Romes
01-30-2007, 10:46 AM
I doubt anyone will offer a first for him. I don't think his trade value is that high.

it isn't, but I doubt we trade him for value when his value is at its lowest.

ICE74129
01-30-2007, 11:03 AM
Guys the way we move willis is a package deal. Willis and x pick to move up and get y pick. Thats the best way to move him.

Yasgur's Farm
01-30-2007, 11:33 AM
None of these destinations make much sense aside from Oakland

1) Jacksonville - Still do have Taylor plus Maurice jones drew

2) Washington- They still do have Portis and Betts played well in his absense

3) Oakland - Possibly but they did just give Jordan a lot of money

4) Giants - Jacobs can carry the load IMO

5) Atlanta - Still have Dunn and are very high on Norwood

6) Dallas - Are completely set at RB Barber and Jones are both solidI can't believe nobody brought up the Browns... We could package our #12 with WM and perhaps TKO for their #3... Then we snag Calvin Johnson.

HHURRICANE
01-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Guys the way we move willis is a package deal. Willis and x pick to move up and get y pick. Thats the best way to move him.

I'm not sure that there is a lot more value at #3 than at #12. Something is definately falling to us so why move up? If Willis were to go I would trade to the Jets for their 1st rounder and give them our #2 in return than take a RB and an LB/DT in the first.

TacklingDummy
01-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Got to love Fantasy GM's. Willis is going no where.

ICE74129
01-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Got to love Fantasy GM's. Willis is going no where.

Link?

Kerr
01-30-2007, 02:40 PM
I'd say the Browns are the best scenario. While Drougns has been decent for them, they could probably upgrade the position. With the expected drafting of brady quinn and the immense pressure crommel will be under next season, they'll need a back to take pressure off the rookie qb in cleveland. If willis wants to, he can be that back.Willis will reunite with former college teammates KW2 and Ken Dorsey. Having said that, I don't expect Willis' value to be any least a 2nd and 3rd.

mikemac2001
01-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Listen why trade willis now i dont see the point, i feel willis hasnt shown much heart but he also hasnt had alot of help on offense, it is kinda hard to run when our passing threat (holcomb and losman) wasnt there...this whole season was just run run run shorten the game but everyone knew that. they also knew we were trying to develop losman. I feel the improvement from JP and the oline could allow us to open up our offense which would create more chance willis....id really like to keep him this year if he has a huge year and wants the big bucks we might be able to tag and trade or keep him long term

mikemac2001
01-30-2007, 09:38 PM
guess i was right

alohabillsfan
01-31-2007, 10:55 AM

Willis to Oakland for Moss!

RedEyE
01-31-2007, 10:59 AM
Willis to Oakland for Moss!

Now there's a trade. :down:

alohabillsfan
01-31-2007, 11:25 AM
:oops:
Now there's a trade. :down:

kernowboy
01-31-2007, 01:43 PM
Considering the value we would get

Considering who we could replace him with

Considering the other needs of team

Considering the depth of RBs in 2008

the intelligent decision is to retain him and have him run hard in his contract year, drafting his replacement in the 2008 draft