Are The Bills Telling Us Something About Ian Scott?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LifetimeBillsFan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Aug 2004

Are The Bills Telling Us Something About Ian Scott?

I found this blog entry from Chris Brown's blog on BB.com quite curious and could not help but think that either the Bills are trying to tell us that they are not as interested in Ian Scott as we all seem to think they are or are trying to hide their interest in him by downplaying him:

"IAN SCOTT? MAYBE NOT: Though Scott is going to be a free agent and a Chicago Tribune report indicated he will likely not be retained by the Bears I'm not convinced that he would be a major upgrade at nose tackle. I was watching him in the NFC Divisional playoff game against Seattle and I didn't come away too impressed. He was getting pushed off the ball at the line of scrimmage. Granted it was just one game, but he was rotated out for a lot of the important plays in that game. I don't know that the Bills believe Scott to be much better than Kyle Williams. They need a stud NT in there, and I don't know that one exists in free agency, which means Buffalo will likely have to look to the draft...."

Brown goes on to talk about Branch probably not being available at # 12 and the fact that Branch takes plays off not sitting well with the Bills coaching staff. He goes on to mention that he was really high on Okoye, but thinks that he is a 3-gap DT and wouldn't fill the Bills' need for a 1-gap DT. Then, he concludes by saying that, while Brandon Mebane looks like a good player, he doesn't appear to be the stud that the Bills need and that this is going to be a difficult position for the Bills to fill.

We all know that this is a tough position to fill and that there aren't a lot of top-flight candidates that the Bills can turn to in order to fill it. That's why I can't help wondering if this entry is meant to throw us all "off the scent" or if it is a signal that the Bills may be addressing the position in an entirely different way than many of us have been thinking/hoping that they would.

Because, since Marv took over as GM, the Bills have been very good about indicating what their thinking is (remember last year they did bring in M.Huff and word did come out of The Combine that they talked a lot with and really liked Whitner--but most of us missed it because we didn't think Huff would drop to the Bills and figured that they would draft a DT?), while at the same time, camoflaging their intentions, I believe that it is important to pay close attention to the subtleties of the comments, etc. that come out of OBD or that are posted on the BB.com website. While I don't think that Chris Brown is a confidante of Marv Levy or a direct spokesman for him, I do think that he is privy to some inside information and they do use him as a conduit to disseminate information and misinformation when it suits their purposes. For that reason, I found this particular blog entry rather curious and worth posting for everyone's consideration.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Are The Bills Telling Us Something About Ian Scott?

Any 'news' that comes out of OBD pertaining to FA or the draft, I always take with a grain of salt.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• RedEyE
      • Jul 2002

I think it's telling us that Ian Scott is the only notable NT available not only in FA but in the draft. In other words, look for the Bills to go into next season with the same DTs they currently have on the roster.

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RedEyE
        I think it's telling us that Ian Scott is the only notable NT available not only in FA but in the draft. In other words, look for the Bills to go into next season with the same DTs they currently have on the roster.
        My setiments echo these, we may add a fringe FA but no major changes till we see a full year of McCargo.
        COMING SOON...
        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• eyedog
          • Jul 2002

I have no sympathy for them. Ngata fell into their laps last year and they passed on him. I'm still waiting to hear a good reason why. He had the size and strength to anchor the middle of that line.

Comment

• ICE74129
            Legendary Zoner
            • Feb 2005

It also signals you can bet your bippy ILB will be addressed with #12 and an OLB will be brought in va FA. Marv knows this defense needs some real playmakers at LB and we dont' have it right now, at least to the level we need to be a playoff team / SB contender.

Now DB has a DE he likes and I agree the cat is really good, but for some reason I see hargrove being our LDE this coming year.

Point is LB is going to need to be drastically upgraded and I see it being done ASAP along with RG

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by eyedog
              I have no sympathy for them. Ngata fell into their laps last year and they passed on him. I'm still waiting to hear a good reason why. He had the size and strength to anchor the middle of that line.

We dont use his size in our defense, what more of a reason do you need? We dont have a big body DT system. Why would we bother to draft a player who doesnt fit our system?
              COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                It also signals you can bet your bippy ILB will be addressed with #12 and an OLB will be brought in va FA. Marv knows this defense needs some real playmakers at LB and we dont' have it right now, at least to the level we need to be a playoff team / SB contender.

Now DB has a DE he likes and I agree the cat is really good, but for some reason I see hargrove being our LDE this coming year.

Point is LB is going to need to be drastically upgraded and I see it being done ASAP along with RG

Why do we need to bring in 2 other LB's? we got three starters already. Ellison, Spikes, and Crowell, I dont see the logic behind us taking an LB #1. Id rather move Spikes or Crowell inside.
                COMING SOON...

Comment

• ICE74129
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                  Why do we need to bring in 2 other LB's? we got three starters already. Ellison, Spikes, and Crowell, I dont see the logic behind us taking an LB #1. Id rather move Spikes or Crowell inside.
                  Seriously? you feel good about that LB corp? Outside of Crowell I have no faith in any of them. People need to realise TKO isn't ever going to be what he was. I watched him jump on guys instead of hitting them. I watched Travis Henry flat truck him repeatedly.

As for as ILB we need an impact player there and we don't have one at LB on this team. We don't have one guy that has the athleticism of P Willis or R Alexander on this team and that is what we are needing badly.

What I have never understood is why fans feel a guy like ellison is going to be an NFL QUALITY starter just because the bills drafted him?

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                    Seriously? you feel good about that LB corp? Outside of Crowell I have no faith in any of them. People need to realise TKO isn't ever going to be what he was. I watched him jump on guys instead of hitting them. I watched Travis Henry flat truck him repeatedly.

As for as ILB we need an impact player there and we don't have one at LB on this team. We don't have one guy that has the athleticism of P Willis or R Alexander on this team and that is what we are needing badly.

What I have never understood is why fans feel a guy like ellison is going to be an NFL QUALITY starter just because the bills drafted him?

Lets be clear here, do I feel comfortable with that corp? Yes, and here's why; TKO's injury is documented as taking about 24 months to fully recover, he'll be at that point next season. Keith Ellison preformed well last season and I see no reason why he would not get any better. Im not assuming he's going to be good bc the Bills drafted him, I think he will be bc I saw how he played last year. To ignore his play is just ignorant. I agree an ILB/OLB would be nice to bring in, but I dont think its this huge need like everybody is making it out to be.
                    COMING SOON...

Comment

• Talk0fNewYork
                      ~ I Can't Feel My Face ~
                      • Jan 2007

Were Taking Lynch End Of Story

Comment

• eyedog
                        • Jul 2002

We dont use his size in our defense, what more of a reason do you need? We dont have a big body DT system. Why would we bother to draft a player who doesnt fit our system?

So I've been told. Really is he that slow that he couldn't fit in this defense ? I know damn well he could stuff the run better than any d-lineman on this team.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by eyedog
                          So I've been told. Really is he that slow that he couldn't fit in this defense ? I know damn well he could stuff the run better than any d-lineman on this team.

His ability is not in question, its a simple matter of taking players that are intended for your system v. those that are not intended. Aside from all that, he played a good bit of 3-4 DE, so im not sure he would of been as good as a 4-3 DT this year.
                          COMING SOON...

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by RedEyE
                            so much for 2007. If we can take anything from 2006, it's that our DT's are NOT GOOD ENOUGH. It does seem like there are a lack of options available at the position, but we shouldn't expect better results from the same ingredients.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

because small body DT's can't stop the run, especially in short yardage situations. It's an inherent flaw in the system. A corps of 290-lb DT's is basically surrendering 3rd and 3 or less every time.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X