• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

You have to wonder about ESPN and milking this black coach thing

Where are they going with this?? A black headcoach is coaching a SB team, wow amazing. They are acting like no one black that has anything to do with coaching has ever been to the SB. There are plenty of players of different races and colors, is this really that big a deal?

The MLK reference has just put me over the top, please stop.

In retrospect, it seems preposterous, but in the first 40 Super Bowls there wasn't a single black head coach, Greg Garber writes. On Sunday, there will be two.
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: You have to wonder about ESPN and milking this black coach thing

If you were black you'd have a greater appreciation for it.

For how many years were black coaches passed over, even if they were better qualified?

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• alohabillsfan
      • Sep 2003

It's a copy cat league, Denny Green and Art Shells phones are ringing off the hook, Everyone's going to want a black head coach!

Comment

• SABURZFAN
        short bus extraordinaire
        • Jul 2002

this thing that ESPN is "milking" is history being made.
        Originally posted by yordad
        Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Bmax
          • Aug 2003

Yeah it puzzles me why this bothers people at all......

This is a big deal !!!!! Even if you aren't black or African -American which ever you prefer....I don't know the age of most of the people this bothers .. Where they live or how they were raised .. But if they have been in this country for at least one year they know how much race is still a factor in this country....

It's not just sports ....Did you know that NY State has never had a black US Senator....a lot of states haven't.. Some finally have black govenors elected this year....So for as much as their been progress for african -americans their is way to go in alot of avenues...

Back to sports their are only seven head coaches out of 111 or so schools in major college football. The first is always a big deal....James Harris...the first qb for the bills who was black.....The first qb to win a SB Doug Williams.......

I remember years later Williams told a story of how important the win was in terms of history. He said that an old black women came up to him and shook his hand and said Baby i don't watch football but that day you were playing i watched and you sure did make me proud...

This Sunday Two Men will lead their teams in Super Bowl 41......And i'm sure some time after the game is long over someone will come up to Tony And Lovie and tell them how proud they were to watch them coach Super Bowl 41......

Oh by the way i'm sure they were talking about it more today because today is the first day of Black History Month..

Bmax

Comment

• Bmax
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by alohabillsfan
            It's a copy cat league, Denny Green and Art Shells phones are ringing off the hook, Everyone's going to want a black head coach!

Yeah that's why Jerry Jones wants to hire Norv Turner......Since we play the Cowgirls this year i hope he does....But they would be alot better off with Mike Singletary, Ron Rivera or even Mike Zimmer.

Bmax

Comment

• Jeff1220
              H to the 12:20
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Bmax
              Yeah that's why Jerry Jones wants to hire Norv Turner......Since we play the Cowgirls this year i hope he does....But they would be alot better off with Mike Singletary, Ron Rivera or even Mike Zimmer.

Bmax
              Ron Rivera will be the next coach of the Cowboys. Mark it.

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

History will be made this Sunday.

Dungy or Smith will be this generation's version of Jackie Robinson in a roundabout way.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• camelcowboy
                  • Mar 2005

Its black history month, two damn good coaches on two really good teams. deal

Comment

• DynaPaul
                    • Sep 2003

Last time I checked it takes an entire team to win a game. Teams comprised of all colors.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                      Roways rooking ahread!
                      • Sep 2005

I didn't know we had so many black history buffs here.

Comment

• camelcowboy
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Skooby
                        I didn't know we had so many black history buffs here.

Keep starting more race threads, grand wizard

Comment

• tat2dmike77
                          Let the planet get warmer. We'll grow oranges in Alaska!
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by DevilPaul
                          Last time I checked it takes an entire team to win a game. Teams comprised of all colors.
                          This makes the most sense

Look i'm saying that was is happening is not cool cause it is. But i have to agree i'm sick of this story. Not cause of what the content but because ESPN is milking it to death

I know all about the so called struggles and so on but hey people. Last time i checked there were 32 teams in the NFL. This past season there were what 3 or 4 black HC in the league. How many assistants, oc, and dc are black?

So why is all the focus on the NFL. There are what 125 or so Div 1A football teams? How many of those HC are black? Who knows how many more 2A and 3A teams there are.

My point is in the NFL there are less opurtunities then in college. More teams = more opurtunities. So what will it take to shut this race thing up? Will it be every head coach has to be black will that put an end to this. No cause then there will be grips about how there are no black owners. It's a never ending cycle. Why can't we just look at a coach as a coach? After all it doesn't matter what color you are cause at the end of the game you either go home a winner or a loser.

Comment

• tat2dmike77
                            Let the planet get warmer. We'll grow oranges in Alaska!
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by camelcowboy
                            Keep starting more race threads, grand wizard
                            Not cool man

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

you know, it's a great story and it's a historic moment and it's worthy of SOME attention, but not as much as it's getting.

At some point, it starts to sound like a bunch of crusty old white guys saying "well wouldya look at that- they CAN do something other than run fast and jump high!" Some people seem more surprised than they do appreciative of the accomplishment.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X