PDA

View Full Version : You have to wonder about ESPN and milking this black coach thing

Mitchy moo
02-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Where are they going with this?? A black headcoach is coaching a SB team, wow amazing. They are acting like no one black that has anything to do with coaching has ever been to the SB. There are plenty of players of different races and colors, is this really that big a deal?

The MLK reference has just put me over the top, please stop.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs06/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=2749659

patmoran2006
02-01-2007, 05:06 PM
If you were black you'd have a greater appreciation for it.

For how many years were black coaches passed over, even if they were better qualified?

alohabillsfan
02-01-2007, 06:24 PM
It's a copy cat league, Denny Green and Art Shells phones are ringing off the hook, Everyone's going to want a black head coach!

SABURZFAN
02-01-2007, 06:53 PM
this thing that ESPN is "milking" is history being made.

Bmax
02-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Yeah it puzzles me why this bothers people at all......

This is a big deal !!!!! Even if you aren't black or African -American which ever you prefer....I don't know the age of most of the people this bothers .. Where they live or how they were raised .. But if they have been in this country for at least one year they know how much race is still a factor in this country....

It's not just sports ....Did you know that NY State has never had a black US Senator....a lot of states haven't.. Some finally have black govenors elected this year....So for as much as their been progress for african -americans their is way to go in alot of avenues...

Back to sports their are only seven head coaches out of 111 or so schools in major college football. The first is always a big deal....James Harris...the first qb for the bills who was black.....The first qb to win a SB Doug Williams.......

I remember years later Williams told a story of how important the win was in terms of history. He said that an old black women came up to him and shook his hand and said Baby i don't watch football but that day you were playing i watched and you sure did make me proud...

This Sunday Two Men will lead their teams in Super Bowl 41......And i'm sure some time after the game is long over someone will come up to Tony And Lovie and tell them how proud they were to watch them coach Super Bowl 41......

Oh by the way i'm sure they were talking about it more today because today is the first day of Black History Month..

Bmax

Bmax
02-01-2007, 07:20 PM
It's a copy cat league, Denny Green and Art Shells phones are ringing off the hook, Everyone's going to want a black head coach!

Yeah that's why Jerry Jones wants to hire Norv Turner......Since we play the Cowgirls this year i hope he does....But they would be alot better off with Mike Singletary, Ron Rivera or even Mike Zimmer.

Bmax

Jeff1220
02-01-2007, 07:41 PM
Yeah that's why Jerry Jones wants to hire Norv Turner......Since we play the Cowgirls this year i hope he does....But they would be alot better off with Mike Singletary, Ron Rivera or even Mike Zimmer.

Bmax

Ron Rivera will be the next coach of the Cowboys. Mark it.

YardRat
02-01-2007, 07:56 PM
History will be made this Sunday.

Dungy or Smith will be this generation's version of Jackie Robinson in a roundabout way.

camelcowboy
02-01-2007, 07:59 PM
Its black history month, two damn good coaches on two really good teams. deal

DynaPaul
02-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Last time I checked it takes an entire team to win a game. Teams comprised of all colors.

Mitchy moo
02-01-2007, 08:10 PM
I didn't know we had so many black history buffs here.

camelcowboy
02-01-2007, 08:17 PM
I didn't know we had so many black history buffs here.

Keep starting more race threads, grand wizard

tat2dmike77
02-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Last time I checked it takes an entire team to win a game. Teams comprised of all colors.

This makes the most sense

Look i'm saying that was is happening is not cool cause it is. But i have to agree i'm sick of this story. Not cause of what the content but because ESPN is milking it to death :ill:

I know all about the so called struggles and so on but hey people. Last time i checked there were 32 teams in the NFL. This past season there were what 3 or 4 black HC in the league. How many assistants, oc, and dc are black?

So why is all the focus on the NFL. There are what 125 or so Div 1A football teams? How many of those HC are black? Who knows how many more 2A and 3A teams there are.

My point is in the NFL there are less opurtunities then in college. More teams = more opurtunities. So what will it take to shut this race thing up? Will it be every head coach has to be black will that put an end to this. No cause then there will be grips about how there are no black owners. It's a never ending cycle. Why can't we just look at a coach as a coach? After all it doesn't matter what color you are cause at the end of the game you either go home a winner or a loser.

tat2dmike77
02-01-2007, 09:03 PM
Keep starting more race threads, grand wizard

Not cool man

OpIv37
02-01-2007, 09:16 PM
you know, it's a great story and it's a historic moment and it's worthy of SOME attention, but not as much as it's getting.

At some point, it starts to sound like a bunch of crusty old white guys saying "well wouldya look at that- they CAN do something other than run fast and jump high!" Some people seem more surprised than they do appreciative of the accomplishment.

Mitchy moo
02-01-2007, 09:32 PM

Look i'm saying that was is happening is not cool cause it is. But i have to agree i'm sick of this story. Not cause of what the content but because ESPN is milking it to death :ill:

I know all about the so called struggles and so on but hey people. Last time i checked there were 32 teams in the NFL. This past season there were what 3 or 4 black HC in the league. How many assistants, oc, and dc are black?

So why is all the focus on the NFL. There are what 125 or so Div 1A football teams? How many of those HC are black? Who knows how many more 2A and 3A teams there are.

My point is in the NFL there are less opurtunities then in college. More teams = more opurtunities. So what will it take to shut this race thing up? Will it be every head coach has to be black will that put an end to this. No cause then there will be grips about how there are no black owners. It's a never ending cycle. Why can't we just look at a coach as a coach? After all it doesn't matter what color you are cause at the end of the game you either go home a winner or a loser.

That's what I was thinking, all different races combine to make a team and coaching staff. To single out one or the other is racist in itself, the bears made the SB not the black bears. The colts made the SB, not the black colts.

Racism will not stop until we stop defining people by their color but instead by their actions.

ajsdx
02-01-2007, 11:00 PM
That's what I was thinking, all different races combine to make a team and coaching staff. To single out one or the other is racist in itself, the bears made the SB not the black bears. The colts made the SB, not the black colts.

Racism will not stop until we stop defining people by their color but instead by their actions.

As long as there is a disparity, I think someone should continue to speak up. If it's the media, so much the better. Real change is generally not a passive process and occurs mostly as a result of someone beating the drum.

We've still got a long way to go before there is any kind of racial equality, and the more people that know that, the better. Perhaps the media is a little over the top and we don't need 17 stories about it, but that's a value judgment. This should be a big story regardless.

Bmax
02-01-2007, 11:53 PM

Noboody is saying that...Lovie and Tony are soley responsible ...They are just the guys in charge of the team .. The coaching part......They deserve the same credit given to them that Bill Walsh, Bill Parcells, and the Bill belijerk received....Ok maybe more than that sore loser....

The winner will get the credit the loser .. well he bashed up and down...and all around....Not because he was black but because he did a poor job....

I SURE AFTER THE GAME BOTH WILL SAY THAT THEY CREDIT ALL 53 MEN ON THE TEAM AND EVERY ONE IN THEIR ORGANZATIONS FOR THE VICTORY. AT LEAST WITH THESE TWO WE KNOW THEY WILL TRULY MEAN IT ...

I think it's also a big deal because these two guys are what u call nice guys.....

Men of faith.....I guess Dungy and the jouney his life has taken.. is playing up the game more for his presence ....Losing the bucs job and then the death of his son....You can't help root for the guy.....

I know i will be on Sunday.....

THURMAN IN THE HALL IN 2007

BMAX

Luisito23
02-02-2007, 12:18 AM
THURMAN IN THE HALL IN 2007

:beers: :drunks: :beers: :drunks:....:respect: ......

GO BILLS!!!!!!

ricogarion
02-02-2007, 05:31 AM
I think its great that Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are both coaching in the Super Bowl it couldn't happen to two of the leagues better coaches. Not that they are two African Americans in the Big game in Miami but that they are two fine human beings finding sucsess in the NFL.

Pride
02-02-2007, 07:47 AM
I get the sense that this is a bigger issue for people over 30 than for people under 30. Those of us (most of us anyway) under 30 were taught that color doesn't matter, so that is why we don't think this is that big of a deal. Those of you over 30, who remember when racism was strong and maybe were taught something different from your parents (prejudice) may think it is a big deal.

Just a thought.

Bmax
02-02-2007, 12:34 PM
I agree... My grandmother just turned 94 and she will still talk about why they moved from Mississippi.... They(my grandparents) didn't vote until they moved up north in 1940... I don't want to turn this into a history lesson but many african americans weren't allowed to vote until 1965...42 years is not a long time ....So i guess it's important to remember how far this country has come and remember how far we still have to go.....in some respects.....

That's why when the day comes that the bills hire their first black head coach we hopefully will just say wow they hired a good coach ....

But then again i'm realistic i know bills fans and some them won't like the hire not because of the race of the guy but because they wanted somebody else....

Where are those Mike Sherman fans now ?

Bmax....

Thurman in 2007
Andre in 2008
Bruce in 2008 or is it 2009....

Mitchy moo
02-02-2007, 12:37 PM
I agree... My grandmother just turned 94 and she will still talk about why they moved from Mississippi.... They(my grandparents) didn't vote until they moved up north in 1940... I don't want to turn this into a history lesson but many african americans weren't allowed to vote until 1965...42 years is not a long time ....So i guess it's important to remember how far this country has come and remember how far we still have to go.....in some respects.....

That's why when the day comes that the bills hire their first black head coach we hopefully will just say wow they hired a good coach ....

But then again i'm realistic i know bills fans and some them won't like the hire not because of the race of the guy but because they wanted somebody else....

Where are those Mike Sherman fans now ?

Bmax....

Thurman in 2007
Andre in 2008
Bruce in 2008 or is it 2009....

If it got us a SB win, I would hire Rev. Al sharpton and Jessie Jackson as co-coaches. I don't see color, just opportunity.

OpIv37
02-02-2007, 12:50 PM
you know, some of us just want football to be ****ing football. All these feel-good stories about the coach's skin color or Katrina sob stories or Tedi Bruschi's Jesus-like career resurrection have their time and place, but football ain't it.

Sometimes it's good to just sit down and watch a game for 3 hours without thinking about issues like race. The sociological and historical factors in race relations and how they relate to football coaching create an interesting and informative story. But when I'm watching football, I just don't care.

When the Bills lost to the Colts, I didn't think "wow, our white coach just lost to a black coach". I thought "Wow- Jauron took the Colts completely out of their game and they still managed to win- Dungee did a hell of a job today". The whole race thing never entered the equasion.

Bmax
02-03-2007, 02:34 AM
you know, some of us just want football to be ****ing football. All these feel-good stories about the coach's skin color or Katrina sob stories or Tedi Bruschi's Jesus-like career resurrection have their time and place, but football ain't it.

Sometimes it's good to just sit down and watch a game for 3 hours without thinking about issues like race. The sociological and historical factors in race relations and how they relate to football coaching create an interesting and informative story. But when I'm watching football, I just don't care.

When the Bills lost to the Colts, I didn't think "wow, our white coach just lost to a black coach". I thought "Wow- Jauron took the Colts completely out of their game and they still managed to win- Dungee did a hell of a job today". The whole race thing never entered the equasion.

Sports has always been ahead of society when it comes to being color blind this weekend is just another example....Go Thurman.......In the Hall in 2007

Saw his kid on the local news Thurman the IIII.....he is 5 and already playing pee wee football....

Bmax

Historian
02-03-2007, 05:01 AM
you know, it's a great story and it's a historic moment and it's worthy of SOME attention, but not as much as it's getting.

At some point, it starts to sound like a bunch of crusty old white guys saying "well wouldya look at that- they CAN do something other than run fast and jump high!" Some people seem more surprised than they do appreciative of the accomplishment.

I agree.

And frankly, I think to keep harping on it is racist.

Give the event it's due, but let it go for chrissake.

We're not supposed to see color....only good coaches.

gil
02-03-2007, 08:45 AM
It is a big deal - and, it's probably been hyped too much -- just like every other little thing about this - or any - superbowl.

I think it's a big deal because there is still quite a large amount of racism out there and things like this do help fight back against stereotypes and ignorance in their own little way.

Just here in Pittsburgh, when Tomlin was hired, you should have heard some of the things on the call-in shows that were overtly racist - I was just blown away.

SABURZFAN
02-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Perhaps the media is a little over the top and we don't need 17 stories about it, but that's a value judgment. This should be a big story regardless.

if not for the media delving out 17 stories,you would have j.jackson,sharpton,or some other jackoff hollering how the African American people got snubbed,how there was not enough coverage about it,etc.....