• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

Johnson: Belichick ignored doctor's advice

Johnson: Belichick ignored doctor's advice

NFL.com wire reports

NEW YORK (Feb. 2, 2007) -- Former New England Patriots linebacker Ted Johnson said coach Bill Belichick subjected him to hard hits in practice while he was recovering from a concussion -- against the advice of the team's top trainer.

Johnson, who helped the Patriots win three Super Bowl titles before retiring two years ago, told The New York Times that a collision with another player during that 2002 practice led to another concussion. And, after sustaining additional concussions over the next three seasons, he now forgets people's names, misses appointments and suffers from depression and an addiction to amphetamines.

"There's something wrong with me," the 34-year-old Johnson told the Times in a story posted on its Web site Thursday night. "There's something wrong with my brain. And I know when it started."

The Boston Globe, which is owned by the Times, posted a similar story on its Web site.
    Johnson, who played 10 years in the NFL, said he began to deteriorate in August 2002 with a concussion during an exhibition game against the New York Giants. He sustained another concussion four days later after Belichick prodded him to participate in a full-contact practice, even though he was supposed to be avoiding hits, Johnson said.

The next month, with their relationship already strained, Johnson confronted Belichick about the practice after the coach asked him to meet in his office.

more: http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/NE/9970383
  • RockStar36
    Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
    • Sep 2004

Re: Johnson: Belichick ignored doctor's advice

I read the article this morning and I don't buy it. If he was that hurt he wouldn't have practiced. He's a grown man for crying out loud.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Gunzlingr
      • Jul 2002

I think it has been established long ago that Bill Belichek is a complete douchebag.
      You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• RedEyE
        • Jul 2002

I find it interesting that he can't remember names and appointments and such, and comments that "..I don't know when it started...", yet remembers the exact details of why this happened, and when it occured.

Something smells fishy here, and it's not Jayhawk's Mom's pillow.

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RedEyE

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

...he now forgets people's names, misses appointments and suffers from depression and an addiction to amphetamines.

"There's something wrong with me," the 34-year-old Johnson told the Times in a story posted on its Web site Thursday night. "There's something wrong with my brain. And I know when it started."
            I like how they throw in there that he's an amphetamine addict! That alone could cause most, if not all of the symptoms he mentioned.

Clinical Symptoms of Amphetamine Usage: Erratic behavior or an inability to concentrate on a specific task may be present. Once the high is over, the user may be plunged into despair, or they may become angry. Extended use of amphetamines can result in a high level of dependence, and in severe cases, permanent psychosis.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

I find it interesting that he can't remember names and appointments and such, and comments that "..I don't know when it started...", yet remembers the exact details of why this happened, and when it occured.

lmao at the Jayhawk comment.

But seriously, there are brain injuries that affect short term memory without affecting long term memory. So it's not unrealistic that he could forget things like an appointment he made yesterday but distinctly remember things from several years ago.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ICE74129
                Legendary Zoner
                • Feb 2005

I can believe it. Billy B is a pure *****. As for as him being a grown man and not practicing or playing...yeah right. So you now get canned for not practicing? Come on the man confronted that jackass and he told him tough ****.

Comment

• Captain_Obvious
                  • Feb 2007

I see Belichick is not well liked by Bills fans.

Comment

• gil
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Captain_Obvious
                    I see Belichick is not well liked by Bills fans.
                    you're already living up to your name...

Comment

• The King
                      Without me it's just Awe so
                      • Jun 2004

Bellicheck uses everyone, all the time.
                      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                      It was all
                      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                        • Jul 2002

I have a very good friend who is married to Ted Johnson's wife's sister.
                        Ted Johnson is a stand up guy.
                        I hope he gets things worked out.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by gameboy
                          I have a very good friend who is married to Ted Johnson's wife's sister.
                          Ted Johnson is a stand up guy.
                          I hope he gets things worked out.
                          Which one? I know Roy MacDowell, his ex-Father-in-Law.

BTW, it is his ex-wife now.

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NE39
                            Which one? I know Roy MacDowell, his ex-Father-in-Law.

BTW, it is his ex-wife now.
                            The one that lives in suburban Atlanta.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                              Give me a minute...
                              • Jul 2002

more to the point...how many of the players knowingly push themselves when hurt and how many other coaches are pushing their players to keep playing when hurt...regardless who is the blame in this case I am betting it is not an isolated case. These are grown men - they know the risk. Ted Johnson knew that other teams would pick him up if cut. He could have stood down. I would bet that he could have sued if he had been "forced" to play when injured. Regrettably, no matter how "stand up" he might be it takes two.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

Working...
                              X