PDA

View Full Version : There have been 40 Super Bowls..

Historian
02-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Which winning team do you feel was the best of all time?

For me it was the 1985 Bears.

Thoughts?

The King
02-02-2007, 10:09 AM
1994 Niners. That team was stacked.

BAM
02-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Since I've been watching football, I'd probably say either the 1989-90 49'ers or the 92-93 Cowboys.

My dad swears on the late 70's Steelers.

Mitchy moo
02-02-2007, 10:12 AM
1994 Niners. That team was stacked.

Ditto. Line was like 19 and they covered, that's the biggest SB line I have ever seen.

BAM
02-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Here is a list of ESPN's top Supberbowl Teams...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=super/rankings/1-20

Bill Brasky
02-02-2007, 10:18 AM

Thoughts?

85 Bears are a close second to the 89 49ers

Dr. Lecter
02-02-2007, 10:20 AM
I agree on the 85 Bears. The best defense I ever saw.

How Satan's team ever beat them, I will never figure out.

Meathead
02-02-2007, 10:21 AM
92 cowboys

the herschel trade brought them first and second rounders just about everywhere on the depth chart. their backups could have made another entire starting lineup

now somebody kill me

RockStar36
02-02-2007, 10:25 AM
I read an interesting article yesterday about how the 85 Bears were underachievers. They were so great but couldn't even get to another Super Bowl. Interesting read actually.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-02-2007, 10:31 AM
I will go with the 92 Cowboys. That team was great. Plus, the killed our beloved team. The 89 Niners were great too.

How about the worst Super Bowl teams of all-time, that is interesting:

10. 1994 San Diego Chargers
9. 1999 Tennessee Titans
8. 1993 Buffalo Bills
7. 1996 New England Patriots
6. 1986 Denver Broncos
5. 1985 New England Patriots
4. 1982 Miami Dolphins
3. 2000 NY Giants
2. 2003 Carolina Panthers
1. 1979 Los Angeles Rams

ICE74129
02-02-2007, 11:00 AM
89' niners

LtFinFan66
02-02-2007, 11:04 AM
I agree on the 85 Bears. The best defense I ever saw.

How Satan's team ever beat them, I will never figure out.:bravo:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e348/LtFinFan66/Shula1993mug.jpg

Devin
02-02-2007, 11:04 AM
uggggh I hate saying it but the 92 cowgirls.

RedEyE
02-02-2007, 11:29 AM
I want to know which team was the best Super Bowl team to find themselves on the losing end.

Mitchy moo
02-02-2007, 11:31 AM
I want to know which team was the best Super Bowl team to find themselves on the losing end.

Our SB 25 loser, the Bills.

RedEyE
02-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Our SB 25 loser, the Bills.

I think they're in the top 2 or 3 for sure. The '69 Colts might deserve top recognition.

RedEyE
02-02-2007, 11:39 AM
If Unitas had been healthy most of that season and especially that game, the Jets would have had their faces beat in. Joe Namath would be a phantom and a fraction of the legend as we know him.

feelthepain
02-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Gee, what a shock no love for the 72 Dolphins, the only team to ever finish the entire season and playoffs with the number 1 ranked O and D. Also number 1 ranking in scoring and scores against. Also had 2 1000+ yard RB's and another that had over 500+ yards, and we lost our starting QB early in the season with a broken leg, yet still went undefeated.

During the SB, they were set to kick a field goal late in the game that would have made the score 17-0 ending the season 17-0 and having a final score in the SB 17-0 making them the only team in history to have a shutout in the SB, however a botched snap and the Redskins score, oh well what are ya gonna do.

Miami clearly had the best team to ever take the field in any year before or since. I'll take Miami, ofcourse.

feelthepain
02-02-2007, 11:57 AM

Thoughts?

Miami crushed the Bears in 85!

feelthepain
02-02-2007, 12:04 PM
I will go with the 92 Cowboys. That team was great. Plus, the killed our beloved team. The 89 Niners were great too.

How about the worst Super Bowl teams of all-time, that is interesting:

10. 1994 San Diego Chargers
9. 1999 Tennessee Titans
8. 1993 Buffalo Bills
7. 1996 New England Patriots
6. 1986 Denver Broncos
5. 1985 New England Patriots
4. 1982 Miami Dolphins
3. 2000 NY Giants
2. 2003 Carolina Panthers
1. 1979 Los Angeles Rams

How is Buffalo not #1 on that list?? Didn't the Bills give up like 52 points and a great Don Bebe strip away from reaching the 59 point mark??? What other team gave up that much? The 85 Pats would be a close second.

Mitchy moo
02-02-2007, 12:08 PM
How is Buffalo not #1 on that list?? Didn't the Bills give up like 52 points and a great Don Bebe strip away from reaching the 59 point mark??? What other team gave up that much? The 85 Pats would be a close second.

Always good to have your support FTP, hows Culpeeper been doing?? Is he ready to come back and lead your team to it's rightful place?? (top 10 draft picks)

feelthepain
02-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Always good to have your support FTP, hows Culpeeper been doing?? Is he ready to come back and lead your team to it's rightful place?? (top 10 draft picks)

What does that have to do with this thread?

Captain_Obvious
02-02-2007, 12:51 PM
I think the obvious choice would be the 85 Bears.

They finished the season with one loss. In the regular season they scored 456 points while only having 198 against. They won their playoff games by the following scores 21-0, 24-0, and 46-10.

The '72 Dolphins were also a great team but they were not the best SB team of all time. All the playoff games were very close and most regular season games were just as close.

It's pretty obvious that if the 85 Bears lined up against the 72 Dolphins the Bears would win.

feelthepain
02-02-2007, 01:02 PM
I think the obvious choice would be the 85 Bears.

They finished the season with one loss. In the regular season they scored 456 points while only having 198 against. They won their playoff games by the following scores 21-0, 24-0, and 46-10.

The '72 Dolphins were also a great team but they were not the best SB team of all time. All the playoff games were very close and most regular season games were just as close.

It's pretty obvious that if the 85 Bears lined up against the 72 Dolphins the Bears would win.

That Dolphins team went to three SB's in a row, the Bears didn't, the Dolphis played most of the year with their backup QB, the Bears didn't, The Dolphins didn't lose a game, the Bears did, infact they were crushed by the Dolphins in 85. It's obvious Bill fans choose the Bears because they hate the Fins.

RockStar36
02-02-2007, 01:04 PM
It's hard to say.

I guess FTP is completely unbiased when he says that the 72 Dolphins could line up against any of the other 39 SB winners and beat them straight up.

Fair enough.

Historian
02-02-2007, 02:09 PM
That Dolphins team went to three SB's in a row, the Bears didn't, the Dolphins played most of the year with their backup QB, the Bears didn't, The Dolphins didn't lose a game, the Bears did, in fact they were crushed by the Dolphins in 85. It's obvious Bill fans choose the Bears because they hate the Fins.

Fair point, just remember that was a 14 game season.

A couple teams, (including the 85 Bears) have won 15 since.

And while most of you weren't born yet, that Dallas team in 1971 was pretty solid.

I find it interesting that nobody has mentioned Lombardi's Pack either.

The King
02-02-2007, 02:13 PM
I forgot how stacked the 97 Broncos were too.

Jan Reimers
02-02-2007, 02:16 PM
I hate to say it, but I'll take the '72 Dolphins.

feelthepain
02-02-2007, 02:57 PM
It's hard to say.

I guess FTP is completely unbiased when he says that the 72 Dolphins could line up against any of the other 39 SB winners and beat them straight up.

Fair enough.

It's not about lining up against anyone, are you psychic? Do you know for sure what the outcomne would be if they did lineup against one another? No, so what are we left with to decide who's the best? Stats! So by the stats at hand, Miami win's hands down, it's not bias it's fact. Just because it's not what you want, has nothing to do with this.

the 72 Dolphins are the only team to ever finish the entire season and playoffs with the number 1 ranked O and D. Also number 1 ranking in scoring and scores against. Also had 2 1000+ yard RB's and another that had over 500+ yards, and we lost our starting QB early in the season with a broken leg, yet still went undefeated.

During the SB, they were set to kick a field goal late in the game that would have made the score 17-0 ending the season 17-0 and having a final score in the SB 17-0 making them the only team in history to have a shutout in the SB, however a botched snap and the Redskins score, oh well what are ya gonna do.

I already posted this once, but I guess you don't want to read it because you have no answer for it. The Bears did't do any of the things in that highlighted paragraph. So if the Bears are your choice what leg do you have to stand on other then basing your decision on hating the Fins? Just say that's why you choose the Bears or whatever team you like other then the 72 Dolphins and everyone will know your opinion is a bias one and we can move on. You don't even have to say it, it's obvious. Bottom line Miami is the only undefeated team in history....that's something no other SB team can say but the Dolphins!

patmoran2006
02-02-2007, 03:01 PM
THe 2000 RAvens would have stayed with any of those teams, just because that defense was THAT SICK...

My pick though, would also be the 1085 Bears.

Jan Reimers
02-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Way before even my time.

HHURRICANE
02-02-2007, 03:13 PM
'91 Redskins. Period.

Historian
02-02-2007, 03:18 PM

Way before even my time.

:rofl:

With King Charlemagne as quarterback.

Captain_Obvious
02-02-2007, 03:19 PM
FTP, you are obviously biased in your selection.

Did you see ESPN's rankings? They aren't Bills fans.

Historian
02-02-2007, 03:20 PM
'91 Redskins. Period.

A really good team, with a very mediocre QB.

They kind of remind me of this year's Bears, Hurricane.

dabears77
02-02-2007, 03:29 PM
The '85 Bears would definately be the greatest SB team. They have the balance on offense between the run and the pass. But then you have the Monsters of the Midway defense the ol' 46. No one will ever be able to run that defense again. It was designed to destroy teams and confuse even the best QB's.

dabears77
02-02-2007, 03:40 PM
That Dolphins team went to three SB's in a row, the Bears didn't, the Dolphis played most of the year with their backup QB, the Bears didn't, The Dolphins didn't lose a game, the Bears did, infact they were crushed by the Dolphins in 85. It's obvious Bill fans choose the Bears because they hate the Fins.

Wow Dolphin fans are in the sun way to much. Who on the '72 Dolphins could have kept up with the Bears offense? They could run with power or go vertical with the passing game. Who would have covered Willie Gault and Dennis McKinnon? The 46 defense was the best all time period. The Dolphins had it easy in the 70's with the team that they had then they would have gotten caught in the Tuna net and fileted in the 80's.

patmoran2006
02-02-2007, 03:43 PM
lol
I meant 1985..

Or maybe I meant the Techmo bowl era, with Jim Harbaugh handing off to Neal Anderson all day long ;)

Captain_Obvious
02-02-2007, 03:46 PM
dabears77 obviously knows his stuff.

Historian
02-02-2007, 03:46 PM
I just remember the 85 Bears being so dominating, that Walter Payton wasn't much of a factor.

That's a good team.

dabears77
02-02-2007, 03:48 PM

And another thing in '85 didn't the Dolphins lose to the Patriots in the playoffs--it was the AFC Championship: New England 31, MIAMI 14. If the Dolphins were that good then why did they lose--I mean you had Dan Marino at QB wasn't he a demi-God or something. Meanwhile the Bears strolled through the rest of the season unscaved and destroyed the 4th best team in the AFC 46-10.

You how many Super Bowl's have the Fins been to since '84?

Captain_Obvious
02-02-2007, 03:50 PM
And another thing in '85 didn't the Dolphins lose to the Patriots in the playoffs--it was the AFC Championship: New England 31, MIAMI 14. If the Dolphins were that good then why did they lose--I mean you had Dan Marino at QB wasn't he a demi-God or something. Meanwhile the Bears strolled through the rest of the season unscaved and destroyed the 4th best team in the AFC 46-10.

They could have went in 1992 but they lost....at home.

That was an obvious let down for Mr. Marino.

patmoran2006
02-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Dont ever include Dan Marino and "SUPER BOWL" in the same thread.. the guy was the most overated QB of his era.

He was a STAT guy. James Edward Kelly could've had countless 2-yard TD's if he wanted to. How many tight games did MArino actually win that mattered?

Marino wasnt even CLOSE to the best QB of his era.. Kelly, ELway, Moon, Montana were all A LOT better than him... as was later on Aikman, Favre, Young, etc..

Marino did NOTHING but throw the ball. He was hardly a leader, he had NO mobility.. He was ****ing overated.

Devin
02-02-2007, 03:59 PM

I assumed that list meant over the whole season, if its strictly the superbowl game you are right id have the 93 Bills on that list.

Billsrock4life
02-02-2007, 04:02 PM
89 49ers............

Buckets
02-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Sentimental - Jets SB III

feelthepain
02-02-2007, 04:06 PM
I assumed that list meant over the whole season, if its strictly the superbowl game you are right id have the 93 Bills on that list.

I assumed it was just the SB itself, not the whole season.

Bill Brasky
02-02-2007, 04:07 PM
If Unitas had been healthy most of that season and especially that game, the Jets would have had their faces beat in. Joe Namath would be a phantom and a fraction of the legend as we know him.
"Legend" What a joke. His career numbers are terrible, one of the worst "hall of famers" in the game. If he plays his career in a second-tier city he isn't even comparable to a fart in the wind.

DynaPaul
02-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Super Bowl XXV Bills

feelthepain
02-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Wow Dolphin fans are in the sun way to much. Who on the '72 Dolphins could have kept up with the Bears offense? They could run with power or go vertical with the passing game. Who would have covered Willie Gault and Dennis McKinnon? The 46 defense was the best all time period. The Dolphins had it easy in the 70's with the team that they had then they would have gotten caught in the Tuna net and fileted in the 80's.

Who on the 85 Bears could have stopped Larry Csonka?? Give it up with the my team can beat up your team crap, that's not what this is about, it's about the the best team ever to play in a SB. You're trying yo use "speculation" in your opinion of whose the better team, I'm using facts, The 72 Dolphins were the only undefeated team, ever. Both teams had a chance to win all their games and only one team did, The Dolphins!! End of argument. How can you put a team that lost a game in the regular season over a team that didn't?? It's about wins and loses, in the SB you're going to have the Colts against the Bears, if the Colts win and the Bears lose are you gonna say the Bears were the better team that day? No, why because the Colts won....get it??

What are you talking about??? What do the 85 Dolphins have to do with this argument?? They beat the Bears badly in 85, it wasn't even close. They were dominated the entire game by the Dolphins. Who cares what the fins did after that game or what the Bears did? The damage was done, no undefeated season for the Bears, why? Because the Bears weren't good enough to win all their games, or they would have. That team looked past the Dolphins, they shouldnt have because it bit them in the end. The 72 Dolphins focused for 17 weeks withstood the pressure of doing something that had never been done before and beat a vey good Redkin team soundly in the SB. The 72 Dolphins played at a SB level for three years, the 85 Bears did it for just one year, bascially catching lightning in a bottle. The Dolphins were dominant for a long time the Bears weren't.

Night Train
02-02-2007, 04:39 PM
My dad swears on the late 70's Steelers.

Agreed.

You could have sent all 22 starters to the pro-bowl and few would have argued. They were that good.

feelthepain
02-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Dont ever include Dan Marino and "SUPER BOWL" in the same thread.. the guy was the most overated QB of his era.

He was a STAT guy. James Edward Kelly could've had countless 2-yard TD's if he wanted to. How many tight games did MArino actually win that mattered?

Marino wasnt even CLOSE to the best QB of his era.. Kelly, ELway, Moon, Montana were all A LOT better than him... as was later on Aikman, Favre, Young, etc..

Marino did NOTHING but throw the ball. He was hardly a leader, he had NO mobility.. He was ****ing overated.

Does your family allow you to wipe your own behind?? Because you sure don't seem smart enough to handle that simple task without supervision. I guess when Marino retired and owned nearly every record in the books it was because the NFL had to find someone to give those honors to and Dan just happened to be standing there so they just gave him all the records?!?!?!?

Stop being a bitter little girl, Marino was a first Ballot HOF'er, you're not even worthy of an opinion. Respect the sport and stop being a hater.

ricogarion
02-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Don't know how you could go against the mid 70's Steelers those teams were chock full of stars on both sides of the ball.

patmoran2006
02-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Does your family allow you to wipe your own behind?? Because you sure don't seem smart enough to handle that simple task without supervision. I guess when Marino retired and owned nearly every record in the books it was because the NFL had to find someone to give those honors to and Dan just happened to be standing there so they just gave him all the records?!?!?!?

Stop being a bitter little girl, Marino was a first Ballot HOF'er, you're not even worthy of an opinion. Respect the sport and stop being a hater.
Bernie Williams has the fourth most RBI in NY Yankee history.. Does that make him the fourth greatest YANKEE to ever put on a uniform??

Is Brett Hull the THIRD BEST PLAYER in the HISTORY of the NHL because he scored the third most goals? Is he better than Lemieux?

marino took his team to ONE super bowl.. He was NOTHING more than a pocket passer who threw more passes than any other QB every year except for Warren Moon.

He was a good qb, but not NEARLY the best of his era.

PS- blowme.

LtFinFan66
02-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Wow Dolphin fans are in the sun way to much. Who on the '72 Dolphins could have kept up with the Bears offense? They could run with power or go vertical with the passing game. Who would have covered Willie Gault and Dennis McKinnon? The 46 defense was the best all time period. The Dolphins had it easy in the 70's with the team that they had then they would have gotten caught in the Tuna net and fileted in the 80's.It's hard to compare teams from different eras. The game changed alot between 72 and 85 and alot more since 85. Different rules and such

feelthepain
02-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Bernie Williams has the fourth most RBI in NY Yankee history.. Does that make him the fourth greatest YANKEE to ever put on a uniform??

Is Brett Hull the THIRD BEST PLAYER in the HISTORY of the NHL because he scored the third most goals? Is he better than Lemieux?

marino took his team to ONE super bowl.. He was NOTHING more than a pocket passer who threw more passes than any other QB every year except for Warren Moon.

He was a good qb, but not NEARLY the best of his era.

PS- blowme.

Everyone you just lited either owns a record on their own team or just one record and it's not even the best in the entire League. Marino when he retired owned almost every record a QB can own, not just one team record or one record only that isn't even the best of all time. Marino owner nearly every record a QB could own, and he did with a lot less talent. Look at the talent the QB's had on the list in your first post,

Montana and Young: Jerry Rice, Roger Craig, John Taylor, Dwight Clark, Freddie Solomon, William Flyod, Ricky Waters.
One of the best D's in the 80's.

SF D:

Tuiasosopo, Manu NT
Board, Dwaine DE
Pillers, Larry DE
Bunz, Dan OLB
Turner, Keena OLB
Ellison, Riki ILB
Reynolds, Jack ILB
Lott, Ronnie CB
Wright, Eric C. CB
Hicks, Dwight FS
Williamson, Carlton SS
Stubblefield, Dana DT
Young, Bryant DT
Brown, Dennis DE
Jackson, Rickey DE
Norton, Ken OLB
Woodall, Lee OLB
Plummer, Gary MLB
Davis, Eric CB
Sanders, Deion CB
Hanks, Merton FS
McDonald, Tim SS

Favre: Freeman, Levens, Rison, Chumura, Jackson

Brown Gilbert DT
DT Dotson, Santana DT
Jones, Sean DE
White, Reggie DE
Simmons, Wayne OLB
Williams, Brian OLB
Cox, Ron MLB
Evans, Doug CB
Newsome, Craig CB
Robinson, Eugene FS
Butler, LeRoy SS
Wilkins, Gabe DE
Joyner, Seth LB
Harris, Bernardo LB
Williams, Brian LB
Williams, Tyrone CB

Jim Kelly: Pete Metzelaars, Don Beebe, Bill Brooks, Andre Reed, ThurmanThomas, James Lofton

Bills D:

Wright, Jeff NT
Seals, Leon DE
Smith, Bruce DE
Bennett, Cornelius OLB
Talley, Darryl OLB
Bentley, Ray ILB
Conlan, Shane ILB
Jackson, Kirby CB
Odomes, Nate CB
Kelso, Mark FS
Smith, Leonard P. SS
Wright, Jeff NT
Hansen, Phil DE
Smith, Bruce DE
Patton, Marvcus OLB
Williams, James CB
Jones, Henry SS

Do I even need to go into the talent Aikman had to work with?? Marino never had a complete team. He always had WR's to throw too but never a running game or Defense. Noboby wins a SB simply because of one player, no matter who that player is.

feelthepain
02-02-2007, 05:57 PM
This from the Chicago Tribune,

The 1985 Bears have been named the second-best Super Bowl team of all time by a special panel in conjunction with the NFL Films series "America's Game." The undefeated '72 Dolphins ranked first.

The documentary about the Bears will air at 1 p.m. Saturday on WBBM-Ch. 2, followed by the Dolphins at 2 p.m.

Loks like I'm not the only one who thinks the 72 Dolphins are the best ever!!

Devin
02-02-2007, 08:36 PM
I assumed it was just the SB itself, not the whole season.

If thats the case then I would agree.

SABURZFAN
02-02-2007, 08:53 PM

Thoughts?

the Steelers from Super Bowl IX.they manhandled the Vikings like nobody's business.

YardRat
02-02-2007, 09:16 PM

Thoughts?

I'll never forgive Mike Ditka for giving a garbage TD to the Fridge and not Sweetness.

Most classless Super Bowl 'moment' ever.